• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Hello. I made a thread about buying my son a used nintendo DS and some used games for christmas a while back, and one of the games I ended up getting him were Pokemon Diamond.

He loves the game but when he enters a cave in the game, ending any battle results in the screen going black after the fight and just not coming back.
It doesn't seem like the game is fake either based on all the manual stuff it came with and the cartridge itself looks legit as well (naturally this is was my first concern when it happened more than once). The game is from america though (and we live in europe) so i've been wondering if there could be some random compatibility issue.
Anyhow I was hoping I could get some help troubleshooting it. I have tried sticking the game into another machine (we got both a DS and a 3DS and he ended up getting the 3DS one) and the issue happens there as well. It would be a lot to ask him to restart the game just to test it.

Incase someone asks to see the game:
mRusVyp.jpg

mRusVyp

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Not sure if this fits to this Pokémon game, but at least in red/blue you had to use a special skill (lightning?) to lighten up a cave.

Lite_Agent

Oct 26, 2017
Somewhere. I think.
Not sure if this fits to this Pokémon game, but at least in red/blue you had to use a special skill (lightning?) to lighten up a cave.

The issue occurs after exiting a battle, so it can't be that. Not to mention you can still see your character even in dark caves.

Really got no idea what it could be. Can't be compatibility, since DS games are fully region-free (with the exception of some DSi enhanced titles, but Pokémon Diamond came out way before the DSi).

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
It only happens after the first battle in the cave though, wether it's trainer or pokemon battle. Until then you can see everything just fine.

Last edited:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Your game is most likely corrupted, which can happen with old copies, or bootleg games(someone putting the rom into a cart, printing the sticker and selling it as real).
The only thing that might fix it is completely restarting the game(as in using START,SELECT,L and R to wipe your game on the starting screen) , but even then that is not a guarantee that it fixes it or wont happen again.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds like copy protection method Game Freak like to implement into their games. Might be a bootleg copy.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's a counterfeit cart, my friend. Look at the alignment of NTR-ADAE-USA on yours. It's way off. Too much white space at the bottom.

authentic-vs-counterfeit-diamond-pearl-3.jpg

https://pokemonessentials.wordpress.com/2014/02/04/spotting-fake-counterfeit-pokemon-games/

That said, I don't know if that's the reason your game is acting up.

Shit like this is why I always ask for clear pictures of carts and the pins on them. I see more fakes on Ebay and local online marketplaces than real stuff. File a complaint with Paypal/Ebay to get your money back easily. Sucks that this ruined a kid's Christmas gift.

Last edited:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I think they started that with HG/SS 2 years after D/P, but maybe I'm wrong.

D/P/PT also have it, its a common issue with roms of these games that dont have the latest patches to remove all the copy protection.

Probable that the guy who made the bootleg game didnt bother to patch the rom with all the fixes for the game.

Truner

Oct 27, 2017
Hungary
That's a fake cart that somehow made it into a legitimate packaging. Bootleggers don't print out the ads and other papers inside the case.

Probably someone received a bootleg copy and through some trickery, swapped it out for a legit game.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
Man if that is true, that makes me very sad. Especially because it's my sons first pokemon game and he absolutely loves it. Having to start all over in whatever game we can get him as a replacement is going to be tough on him. It was also by far the most expensive of the games we got him so the financial prospect sucks too.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Man if that is true, that makes me very sad. Especially because it cost quite a bit (by far the most expensive of the games we got him) and the ad is gone from the website - and I don't have his number (it was 2-3 months ago after all) so I have no way of easily contacting the person who sold it.

And also it's my sons first pokemon game and he absolutely loves it. Having to start all over in whatever game we can get him as a replacement is going to be tough on him.

If you can't do it through Ebay, you can do it through Paypal as long as 6 months after purchase, though I would also try to contact Ebay support to let them know why you're taking those actions so as to avoid your Ebay account being affected somehow. It might still be in your Ebay transaction history even if the ad isn't visible anymore, so prior to going the Paypal route have a look if it's possible to do through their own system.

I've had a lot more luck buying DS/GBA games from local marketplaces and retro shops (here in the Netherlands anyway). Seeing as you only need the cart, you might find a good deal on a copy. Two out of the three times I got a DS or GBA game from an international marketplace (i.e. Amazon/Ebay), it was a counterfeit so I've started avoiding them unless there are clear pictures included. If there are no original pictures, just assume they're trying to pass off a counterfeit.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Someone has cart swapped a bootleg into a genuine US case with the original manuals, that cart has the usual telltale signs of being fake. Never buy US copies of DS games in Europe (especially if they come in our clear cases instead of the thin grey ones) as most of them are fakes, it's better to be safe than sorry by avoiding all of them and sticking with ones that are definitely from your region (people do typically charge a small premium for ones they can say are genuine as a result).

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't do it through Ebay, you can do it through Paypal as long as 6 months after purchase, though I would also try to contact Ebay support to let them know why you're taking those actions so as to avoid your Ebay account being affected somehow. It might still be in your Ebay transaction history even if the ad isn't visible anymore, so prior to going the Paypal route have a look if it's possible to do through their own system.

I've had a lot more luck buying DS/GBA games from local marketplaces and retro shops (here in the Netherlands anyway). Seeing as you only need the cart, you might find a good deal on a copy. Two out of the three times I got a DS or GBA game from an international marketplace (i.e. Amazon/Ebay), it was a counterfeit so I've started avoiding them unless there are clear pictures included. If there are no original pictures, just assume they're trying to pass off a counterfeit.
This is good advice. I didn't buy it from Ebay though. I also expect that the seller probably didn't know it was fake, just that it didn't work on his machine. But maybe I'm giving him too much credit. If he know the game is somewhat broken it's still shitty to sell it along to someone else.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Man if that is true, that makes me very sad. Especially because it's my sons first pokemon game and he absolutely loves it. Having to start all over in whatever game we can get him as a replacement is going to be tough on him. It was also by far the most expensive of the games we got him so the financial prospect sucks too.

you could try moving saves around using pc tools if you have homebrew on your 3/DS at least

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is good advice. I didn't buy it from Ebay though. I also expect that the seller probably didn't know it was fake, just that it didn't work on his machine. But maybe I'm giving him too much credit. If he know the game is somewhat broken it's still shitty to sell it along to someone else.

Wow. I could've sworn I read in your post that you bought it from Ebay. I don't know what happened there. Major brainfart.

The bottom line is that your game isn't working; they probably described the game as working or didn't mention anything about issues. Even if they didn't know it was counterfeit (which I doubt), the game cannot perform its basic function, namely being played from start to finish. They got your money, but you didn't get a functioning product. So if you have any means to get your money back, I would not feel bad or hesitate.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
So does these look legit ? I mean. They look to be in somewhat bad condition but

s-l1600.jpg

Someone has cart swapped a bootleg into a genuine US case with the original manuals, that cart has the usual telltale signs of being fake. Never buy US copies of DS games in Europe (especially if they come in our clear cases instead of the thin grey ones) as most of them are fakes, it's better to be safe than sorry by avoiding all of them and sticking with ones that are definitely from your region (people do typically charge a small premium for ones they can say are genuine as a result).
Yeah. I hadn't originally noticed that it was from the US before I was walking home with it in hand. I didn't know I had to be on the look out for stuff like this with the machine.. Haven't had a handheld nintendo myself since the gameboy color.

you could try moving saves around using pc tools if you have homebrew on your 3/DS at least
I don't but it's a good idea. That way he could be able to continue his game if we manage to get a copy of the same one

Wow. I could've sworn I read in your post that you bought it from Ebay. I don't know what happened there. Major brainfart.

The bottom line is that your game isn't working; they probably described the game as working or didn't mention anything about issues. Even if they didn't know it was counterfeit (which I doubt), the game cannot perform its basic function, namely being played from start to finish. They got your money, but you didn't get a functioning product. So if you have any means to get your money back, I would not feel bad or hesitate.
True. I'll see if I can contact the marketplace website regarding his contact details at least.

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So does these look legit ? I mean. They look to be in somewhat bad condition but

s-l1600.jpg

Those both look real to me, but optimally you'd also want to have a look at the backside. I find the markings on the right side of the Diamond version sticker a bit worrisome. Almost of if they tried to pry it off. Could just be regular wear though. Those stickers don't come off easily, I think.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
Those both look real to me, but optimally you'd also want to have a look at the backside. I find the markings on the right side of the Diamond version sticker a bit worrisome. Almost of if they tried to pry it off. Could just be regular wear though. Those stickers don't come off easily, I think.
So other than the text in the bottom, what would I need to be on the lookout for ? (netherlands has some awesome retroshops btw).

Last edited:

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017

s-l1600.jpg

Yeah. I hadn't originally noticed that it was from the US before I was walking home with it in hand. I didn't know I had to be on the look out for stuff like this with the machine.. Haven't had a handheld nintendo myself since the gameboy color.

I don't but it's a good idea. That way he could be able to continue his game if we manage to get a copy of the same one

True. I'll see if I can contact the marketplace website regarding his contact details at least.
You can tell if White is legit by checking if the cartdrige is semitransparent as it has a IR Blaster.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
So other than the text in the bottom, what would I need to be on the lookout for ? (netherlands has some awesome retroshops btw).

It's different on a game by game basis. Usually the label has obvious faults like the font/text at the bottom, the Seal of Quality or rating labels being off in some way, not including trademark or copyright symbols, that kind of stuff. For GBA, the embossed logo is often different. Good GBA fakes put a reproduction circuitboard inside an original cart, but in that case you can usually tell by the lettering on the connectors. What I usually do is find a good shot of the original cart online and then just play spot the difference. If I can't find anything, it's probably legit.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
that looks like a bootleg. I spend like a whole week straight researching on this. Can't tell 100% without a better picture but I'm mostly sure that's a counterfeit game.

s-l1600.jpg

Diamond is fine. WTF is Version Bianca

Last edited:

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know it would probably suck to deal with shipping but if you don't mind mailing it to the US I'd be happy to switch it with my legit copy of diamond. I can remove my save and put his on with my home brewed 3DS. No charge if you pay for shipping.

I know it's a pain but a child's first pokemon save is sacred imo.

OP
OP
Specific Power Ranger
Oct 25, 2017
I know it would probably suck to deal with shipping but if you don't mind mailing it to the US I'd be happy to switch it with my legit copy of diamond. I can remove my save and put his on with my home brewed 3DS. No charge if you pay for shipping.

I know it's a pain but a child's first pokemon save is sacred imo.
That would be very kind of you and a lot better than my current solution. I am not sure how it would work, but I'll try to PM you and see if it's possible !

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if that's the backside of Diamond, that's fake. APAE is for Pearl. The 4 letters in the middle of the three segment code on the front (i.e. NTR-ADAE-USA) has to match the first four letters of the code printed on the back.

Maaaaannnn... Just goes to show how much of a PITA it is to find/collect legit prints of these games.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Maaaaannnn... Just goes to show how much of a PITA it is to find/collect legit prints of these games.
Eh, it's not that bad once you get the hang of it. For example, a lot of the bootleg carts' code on the back have the code for New Super Mario Brothers, regardless of what game is being bootlegged, and bootleggers aren't smart enough/don't care enough to Photoshop that code onto the label they've printed. There are quite a few things you can check (label print quality (you can see the label is pretty bad on the fake Diamond, look at the gradients) , code on the back and front, code printed on the board, Nintendo font/spacing on the back of the cart, along with general common sense of "don't buy a suspiciously cheap 1st party DS game from China")