• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Definitely a wait and see on this. The base game is so bare bones. There is no story at all. Surprised people are happy with this.
I'm happy in the sense that Gamefreak has finally grown out of selling new content as a separate release. Imagine if this direct announced Armor and Crown as new titles and you had to play through Galar's awful main story again just to get to the postgame

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I'm significantly happier about Pokemon than I have been in a very long time, I'm glad they decided to add back a good chunk of pokemon after all. Also...

5a8.jpg

You will never. EVER. Escape the genies.
Thank you Genies

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
The best part was the Dedenne confirmation.

Not sure how I feel about the expansion. SwSh was lacking a lot of things so I hope this fixes that, but I'll wait and see.

Oct 26, 2017
FAR surpassed my expectations.

I'd think that GF have a smaller team on this while the main team is actually taking more time with the inevitable DP remakes. AND an expansion feels so modern for GF, as this allows current owners to not have to feel like they wasted money and have to pay full price for the 3rd version. This also will give a big push for Sword and Shield as a result because inevitably folks would've held off for such versions, now they don't have to! :P

AND a new Mystery Dungeon game! :D Surprised at no Detective Pikachu 2 mention... even more surprised at how fucking soon this is! O_o

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we just talk about the Galarian Legendary Bird trio look awesome.
And how the Zelda Legendary is by far the most ridiculous looking legendary yet?

Mimosa

Community & Social Media Manager
Verified
Oct 23, 2019
I was kind of hoping for some free Live updates too, like in-game events for the base game :(

30$ sounds very steep to me right now, even if at the core I'd be interested in a new region/story/pokemon.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about DLC Expansions.

My teams already Level 100 and EVd and all that now. None of the new story stuff is going to be challenging at all. Again I have to artificially handicap myself if I want to be challenged. You need to add a new battle area if it's going to be challenging.

Old pokemon returning are good, but again, it's not all of them. I still have to wait cautiously if Luxray is coming back or not. (Guess I'm updating the chart again though).

And new pokemon are good, but again, why'd we have to buy the DLC to get the Gigantimax Versions of the starters. That should have been in the main game...

Also lol that the Genies of Healthy Meta are back, there goes all discussion that the cut dex was for competitive balance.

Plus I don't know if they will address the Y-Comm problems or the lacking GTS or not. Guess they can wait for more info but...

I guess it's better than a 3rd version at least. I also think they had to have rushed this reveal since it's Concept Art mostly. Which again leads into that other Sword and Shield issue of being too rushed. This will be out by June huh? Delays are ok to do just so the content is good.

I'll try the Mystery Dungeon demo at least. Mystery Dungeon not being exiled to Mobile is good. I can take that away from this.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
This was a megaton difference for me. I'm throwing money at the screen. They pretty much answered all my prayers with the crown Tundra..... holy fuck I'm so excited. New Regis and New birds! My favourite Pokémon Kyogre is back! Don't care if I have to pay!

I dunno about DLC Expansions.

My teams already Level 100 and EVd and all that now. None of the new story stuff is going to be challenging at all. Again I have to artificially handicap myself if I want to be challenged. You need to add a new battle area if it's going to be challenging.

Old pokemon returning are good, but again, it's not all of them. I still have to wait cautiously if Luxray is coming back or not. (Guess I'm updating the chart again though).

And new pokemon are good, but again, why'd we have to buy the DLC to get the Gigantimax Versions of the starters. That should have been in the main game...

Also lol that the Genies of Healthy Meta are back, there goes all discussion that the cut dex was for competitive balance.

Plus I don't know if they will address the Y-Comm problems or the lacking GTS or not. Guess they can wait for more info but...

I guess it's better than a 3rd version at least. I also think they had to have rushed this reveal since it's Concept Art mostly. Which again leads into that other Sword and Shield issue of being too rushed. This will be out by June huh? Delays are ok to do just so the content is good.

I'll try the Mystery Dungeon demo at least. Mystery Dungeon not being exiled to Mobile is good. I can take that away from this.
going through $30 expansion content with an overleveled team is way more preferrable than playing thorugh the same mainstory again just to get to the new bits at the end.

Also, the direct already confirmed that there's going to be a new battle facility of some sort

Oct 29, 2017
Well to be fair some of that stuff should've been in the woefully incomplete base game. Not the isles but the Pokémon and other customization stuff.
I think that's stretching the definition of 'to be fair' just a wee bit but I do understand your point.
Well, they aren't out yet so it remains to be seen. I'm excited, but I also thought Gamefreak was moving with the times with SwSh until I played it...
Cut content, online raids? What's not 'moving with the times' about that?

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also it looks like the two new Regi's are Electric and Dragon type (makes no sense but okay). I wonder if Regiregas is getting a Gigantimax form and upgrade since he's always been by far the weakest legendary.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Exactly.
I'm betting this was content for a third game, but the reaction made them take a step back. The new content and new Pokémon show that.
With that said, for a game with online content, DLC is the best approach.

I think you are giving the vocal minority too much credit. Really doubt they ever had a 3rd game in mind.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
can we just talk how awful the direct was ?

Loop in the middle of the stream and cut short at the end of the video...

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
How are they going to balance this for having already trained up pokemon? Is this going to be another faceroll easy experience?

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
OK would you prefer them to release a new 3rd version and have you pay a full game?
Sure. I have no idea how they will balance out the new continents for people who have 100 lvl pokemon already and will sweep through the whole new continent. Also it feels like they are releasing cut content from what was supposed to be in the game in the first place.

OP
OP
MondoMega

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
They have bundles up on the eShop that include the main game and Expansion Pass (no discount though, I believe); that's neat.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of hoping for some free Live updates too, like in-game events for the base game :(

30$ sounds very steep to me right now, even if at the core I'd be interested in a new region/story/pokemon.

You don't have to buy the game for the new Pokemon and can rely on trading for them.