• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Balls

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So does this mean they won't be making a third version of sw/sh? The dlc is essentially replacing the third version?

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Surprised at no Pikachu Detective 2 tease considering it was announced last year, doubt it's been cancelled but maybe it's gonna be a 2021 title ?

gaiadyne

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dozed off about two minutes before the stream started and woke back up 10 minutes in... that was shocking.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
At least they're making it one version this time.

The original Mystery Dungeon games were only two versions because Red Rescue Team came out at the end of the Gameboy Advance lifecycle and Blue Rescue Team came out at the start of the Nintendo DS lifecycle.

you know what this means right?

TIME AND DARKNESS REMAKES

eventually

The Pokemon models seems to be the same models used in the mainline games with a different shader so I wouldn't be shocked if the DS entires of Mystery Dungeon get remade for the Switch.

This SHOULD HAVE BEEN IN THE MAIN GAME

Yeah... no. Omohri is not directing the expansion passes so it wouldn't have been in the main game.

I was dissapointed with Sword and Shield's lackluster post-game content but this definitely allieviates that.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure. I have no idea how they will balance out the new continents for people who have 100 lvl pokemon already and will sweep through the whole new continent. Also it feels like they are releasing cut content from what was supposed to be in the game in the first place.
That's what I keep thinking. I assume that was the point if adding a new Legendary Pokemon. But in hindsight, you could just feed all the Pokemon candies to max them out in a instant.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
So the fact that they're adding in 200+ Pokemon as a free update pretty much destroys any all of GF's reasons and all of the fan theories as to why it was somehow impossible to do on modern hardware.

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Hyped. Base game was a fun experience, though terribly disappointing in some areas. This looks like all the things that made the base game fun (raids, gyms , OPEN WORLD) cramped and expanded into DLC. Day one.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
It's terribly phrased, but I'm pretty sure they meant $30 per pass ($30 for the sword version and $30 for the shield version) not $30 per piece of dlc.

Of course that's what they mean. It's not a "pass" if there's only one piece of content.

They did phrase it badly but people are also so eager to think the worst of GF at this point that they're completely ignoring what words even mean.

Oswen

Oct 25, 2017
Odd that they are so tight-lipped regarding Home considering it's just a month away, were they afraid of ruining the expansion reveal with subscription fees and stuff?

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
I am mildly disappointed that MissingNo wasn't mentioned but oh well. Those these passes look rather content rich though.

Lavpa Jasai

Oct 27, 2017
Do we know when the appearance rates of G-Max Lapras, Coalossal, Flapple, and Appletun are supposed to start? Don't have any of those yet.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Whoa, Mistery Dungeon looks GORGEOUS!

And new areas for SwSh is just what I wanted!

I expected nothing from this Direct and got two very very pleasant surprises!

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
You're missing or ignoring my point.
New areas and new Pokémon usually are things we usually get in third versions, hence my point of them using DLC this time, since the problems ShSw had.
There is nothing to miss - i dont think they changed from a 3rd version to a Expansion Pass because of people complaining about the game. It likely was always planned to have a Expansion Pass, it fits in the strategy of Nintendos first party releases and they said thats something the have been working towards.

When the games are 60 bucks, asking for another full 60 purchase for a 3rd version never seemed like a good idea.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
GameFreak: We can't add all the Pokemon.
Pokemon Fans: Add DLC!
GameFreak: No.
Pokemon Fans: Down with GameFreak!
GameFreak: DLC, 30 dollars...EACH!
Pokemon Fans: WE'LL BUY IT!!!

Oct 27, 2017
I think that's stretching the definition of 'to be fair' just a wee bit but I do understand your point.
Cut content, online raids? What's not 'moving with the times' about that?
A literal regression of online features for one. A fully controllable camera only in a single area of the game, as if it's some vastly idea that needs to be tested that hasn't been staple almost every other 3D game since literally before R/B released . And then the technical issues revolving (the stated reason) that this is their first time working on modern hardware

Oct 29, 2017
A literal regression of online features for one. A fully controllable camera only in a single area of the game, as if it's some vastly idea that needs to be tested that hasn't been staple almost every other 3D game since literally before R/B released . And then the technical issues revolving (the stated reason) that this is their first time working on modern hardware
I was joking, mate. Sorry for not making it clearer.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, Just realize both the passes have a word that could've been the third versions "Crown" and "Armor"

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
That went so much better than I expected.

I was expecting time wasted on Home and Sleep and instead got a remake of a childhood favorite and what looks like actually worthwhile DLC

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
I don't know why many fans buys their BS excuses really.

A higher-up gave a response, the world reacted, it impacted team morale (to an "all-time" low), said decision was reconsidered (and I'm sure financially re-evaluated), and here we are. Things can change, and had they announced this any earlier it would have seemed odd. "You actually can use all of these Pokemon! Once Pokemon Home comes out and you transfer them from an older game! So not for quite a few months! Sorry!"

Christo750

May 10, 2018
If this is the Pokemon content they're launching with on Switch this year, that's pretty good news. There's more than likely a smaller team, and that means 2020 is a much needed year off.

I haven't really read much deliberation on Twitter or anything about the new 200 mons added, or even this thread, but I hope people aren't being too sour about it/understand the reasoning behind why they're coming now. At least they're free/we got here. I think the discourse about GameFreak and the quality/output of the company has run its course and this new stuff doesn't change much.

That Mystery Dungeon art style looks gross though. Like something out of the Hundred Acre Wood world in Kingdom Hearts, but it doesn't suit Pokemon at all.

Nov 8, 2017
My biggest complaint about Sword/Shield is the lack of content and sloppy, rushed world they threw together. It would be great if this addresses those issues but I'm going to wait out both updates before deciding. Adding new areas and Pokémon is great but it's a steep price for what should have been in the base game, and if they design the new areas like the rest of the game it will be a mostly empty zone with lots of copy/paste.

I have a feeling this will be a stopgap before the next gen where they make the full game like the wild area and expansions.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Did you forgot about Ultra Sun and Moon?
I mean some people noticed that unlike previous games that got a third version where the third legendary is just kind of there, Eternatus not only is part of the Story but also has an Exclusive form

So the fact that they're adding in 200+ Pokemon as a free update pretty much destroys any all of GF's reasons and all of the fan theories as to why it was somehow impossible to do on modern hardware.
I feel you forget that the first 100 will become available in June and other 100 in the Fall so the fact that they said that it would take time still applies

Last edited:

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up with all the news! I was surprised that Sword/Shield are getting expansions. I'm definitely in for more content. Two big new areas and new Pokemon sound great to me.

I've never played a Mystery Dungeon game, so I'll try out that demo later. I love the art style!

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
They won't add anything to SwSh besides the 40-ish that are already in the code, but probably Home will have some fun features/modes for us to play with our Pokémon, that will look like this
abeens3.jpg
72-c18232.png
I wouldn't count on any pokemon besides the extra 35 already in the game's data to be made transferable
wrong