• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's in a game?

• a miserable pile of secrets

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • a clock resetting

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • a bag of dead hype

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • a jmon

Votes: 55 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
And there lies the problem. I don't think Nintendo & The Pokémon Company would be okay with that long of a wait for Gen 8.
I don't think we've ever had any indication that this is the case. Every other major series they're okay waiting for yet Pokemon won't survive without a yearly iteration? This strikes me as fan justifications

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018
Pokemon should be an AAA franchise. I don't know whose to blame for it not to be, but expecting it to be, given the size of the series, is perfectly reasonable. The fact that the games don't have an AAA budget or presentation makes them an anomaly not only within the gaming industry, but within the entire entertainment industry.

This is why I said they've conditioned people to low expectations. You say sales are indicative of fans liking the direction, but I say it's more that the franchise is basically too big to fail. There are always a large list of features that are dropped between games, some because they didn't pan out well, but other largely because Gamefreak simply didn't want to reimplement them or felt they weren't needed. People buying the games regardless doesn't mean they're okay with these changes. If anything, it shows how they've come to accept losing features as a possibility, aka being conditioned to have lower expectations. Old fans that are turned off are easily replaced by new fans because Pokemon still remains a largely unique experience in the realm of gaming. The only thing close is Yokai Watch and that isn't going to supplant it anytime soon, and realistically, ever.
Facts are being spoken right here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
808s & Villainy Repeat after me.
Pokémon games were always on handhelds. There are no typical AAA games on handhelds.
And Pokémon easily compares to other high profiles games on them such as Mario 3D Land, Monster Hunter 4, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
No it should not, people like Pokémon because it's not AAA with all the issues that comes with. Every big franchise shouldn't just turn into another AAA filled with microtransactions, lootboxes and insanely long development cycles.
Big AAA games dont need that with Pokémon scale sales.
Though I guess they mean more AAA/big budget on Switch.
Something like Zelda probably doesn't cost as much as similar sized games elsewhere.
Increase the production values to match with the new price and expectations, expand the development team to handle it while not running poorly, open a second or 3rd Pokémon studio if they wish to release installments yearly.

CoD has like 3-4 dev studios working on each of those games giving them enough dev time to put out something good.

I'm sure there are people ok with Pokémon remaining low budget for years, but creatively it would be nice to see more ambition

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (1 month): Trolling with a fake announcement, deliberately ignoring title change and mod warnings

AAMARMO

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
EPAbdm1.png
Why is Nintendo Era bringing their Drama over here smh.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
For your own sanity, consider anything posted a fake or a joke unless it's an embedded tweet from a verified account

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yes and look at how games like CoD etc get the money to pay those multiple 300+ teams.

But CoD has the issue of MTX and lootboxes.
I was more making an extreme point.
Besides, we should be expecting an increase in budget if they expect us to pay $60 now that the games are on Switch.

I'd also be ok with microtransactions for like trainer customisation and secret base items if it gets me a better game.

Oct 27, 2017
808s & Villainy Repeat after me.
Pokémon games were always on handhelds. There are no typical AAA games on handhelds.
And Pokémon easily compares to other high profiles games on them such as Mario 3D Land, Monster Hunter 4, etc.

I realize it was only on handhelds up to this point, and I've been comparing it to handheld titles, but nothing I said changes. The games largely fall short of other RPGs on their respective systems. The only ones that didn't were Crystal and USUM (in some aspects), but the GBA and DS games were panned at the same and still look underwhelming, although at least their 3rd versions made up for it with sheer content

Zelda had a 6-year development cycle with 300 people developping it, how much do you think it has cost to make ?
And Xenoblade Chronicles? Or is that also too ambitious for reasons? Hell, Monolith Soft only has 20 more employees than Gamefreak (163 vs 143)

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
User banned (permanent): Deliberately impersonating staff to troll, ignoring title change and mod warnings
That's it, we're locking the thread. We've given you guys enough chances and we won't continue to tolerate this kind of childish behavior.

Mod Edit: Removed red text

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I realize it was only on handhelds up to this point, and I've been comparing it to handheld titles, but nothing I said changes. The games largely fall short of other RPGs on their respective systems. The only ones that didn't were Crystal and USUM (in some aspects), but the GBA and DS games were panned at the same and still look underwhelming, although at least their 3rd versions made up for it with sheer content
I don't agree that they fall short on anything just because they have different artstyles than other games. I'll take HGSS's great 3D art over SM64's ugly 3D any day. I also prefer how Emerald looks over Golden Sun on the GBA for example.

Oct 25, 2017
I missed two fake announcements, a video scare that ultimately meant nothing, and the shitty PopERA gifs (as well as a random homophobia accusation for not liking them)?

Today's my lucky day lol

That's it, we're locking the thread. We've given you guys enough chances and we won't continue to tolerate this kind of childish behavior.
Enjoy your ban, homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.