• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What's in a game?

• a miserable pile of secrets

Votes: 26 17.0%
  • a clock resetting

Votes: 47 30.7%
  • a bag of dead hype

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • a jmon

Votes: 55 35.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
The original 151 would be tops for me, fuck it lets do it live.

I'm a certified Pokemon loremaster, it doesn't matter. Most of the Pokemon past 300 or so have trash designs. Update moves and QoL stuff and we'll be good.
always happy to read that I shouldn't be able to use my favourite mons cause gen 1 nostalgia.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
The only way I will accept the OG 151 only is if they have reworked their animations to include a whole lot more in the battle system etc.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
END ALL THIS SUFFERING! PLEASE POKEMON CO. / NINTENDO. We have known for over two weeks that it will be Lets go Pikachu / Eevee. It's time.

Oct 25, 2017
Emily any idea if we are getting the announcement in a "pokemon direct" or will they stealth dump a trailer/video out of nowhere?
She already said she didn't ever specifically say it would be in direct form. The assumption being that she declines to clarify any further.
It is best to stop trying to call her out and just let her stroll in when she feels like it.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

casey_contra

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wouldn't totally be against 151, since I never really played a Kanto game, however, it limits so many types and causes so many of the better designs to go missing. I'll play it regardless but I really want it to not be true. If they really had to cut down the quantity, there'd be no need for limiting it to the OG 151 really

Are a lot of other people here (especially younger gamers) in this boat? Starting the series a later generation and then never going back to the original (or FR/LG)?

Corey

Apr 9, 2018
Upstate, NY
I honestly would love it if they started the game at 151, encouraging you the "catch em all" and then casually introduce gen 2 as DLC a few months down the line. It would keep people from trading their copies in once they beat the game if they have a shit ton more Pokémon to run out and find - even if the story is over. Or they could even have story elements intertwined with the DLC as well. Endless opportunities.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine not being happy with only 151. They're the original set. They're the greatest Pokémon ever. All great designs and didn't need to use objects like a toaster or a magnet or a pokeball.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is something going to happen or not?

Maybe something already happened. Maybe something's happening right now. Maybe something will never happen. Maybe we've entered a closed loop in the timeline and we'll wake up tomorrow to eagerly post in PokéSwitch Speculation Thread 1, unaware of the suffering that lies ahead and the innocence soon to be lost. Who can say.

TriggerShy

Mar 26, 2018
Do you have a minute to spare and praise the best "Pikachu" clone in all 7 generations? Emolga is the best.

latest

Emolga's definitely my favorite.

tumblr_mw8mdabmLY1rjenv2o1_250.gif

tumblr_ojue5ymUy31uh3x51o2_400.gif

47732f9c3237cddc6b26c7ba2c19730077209d67_hq.gif

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

soares

May 7, 2018
Are a lot of other people here (especially younger gamers) in this boat? Starting the series a later generation and then never going back to the original (or FR/LG)?
I doubt many people are, considering how widely popular Kanto is. My main reason not to play it so far is that playing before Physical/Special split sounds like pain and is something I regret when I went back to playing Emerald.

ReitStuff

Oct 30, 2017
That's the exact opposite of appealing to the masses. There's seven generations of beloved Pokémon to pull from. Completely ignoring all but the first pointlessly upsets a huge amount of the fanbase. It's legitimately hard to imagine a bigger step back.

The majority of pokemon fans haven't even played gen 1.

Yeah but those fans will probably play no matter what. If you want to appeal to the masses (like the people who played Pokémon Go) you gotta only have the OG 151. It gets too overwhelming beyond that. Ask any random person to name a Pokémon and they will almost certainly name a gen 1. Gen 1 has a mass appeal that no subsequent gen has.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but those fans will probably play no matter what. If you want to appeal to the masses (like the people who played Pokémon Go) you gotta only have the OG 151. It gets too overwhelming beyond that. Ask any random person to name a Pokémon and they will almost certainly name a gen 1. Gen 1 has a mass appeal that no subsequent gen has.
If it's too overwhelming, why do the games keep selling 15-18 million? Not all 800 pokemon are in every game anyway.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I honestly would love it if they started the game at 151, encouraging you the "catch em all" and then casually introduce gen 2 as DLC a few months down the line. It would keep people from trading their copies in once they beat the game if they have a shit ton more Pokémon to run out and find - even if the story is over. Or they could even have story elements intertwined with the DLC as well. Endless opportunities.

I'm not sure people would really be interested in DLC that just scatters new Pokemon throughout Kanto. Are we supposed to just scour the same patches of grass over again? Now DLC that adds a new region? That sounds better.

meloa

Nov 10, 2017
Having Gen 1 only Pokémon then making other gens DLC sounds like an awful idea, it doesn't sound "lit" whatsoever especially when people complained about FRLG being dumb as hell by removing Day/Night so you couldn't evolve Espeon/Umbreon and not allowing Gen 1 Pokemon to evolve into their superior forms. How braindead.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Having Gen 1 only Pokémon then making other gens DLC sounds like an awful idea, it doesn't sound "lit" whatsoever especially when people complained about FRLG being dumb as hell by removing Day/Night so you couldn't evolve Espeon/Umbreon and not allowing Gen 1 Pokemon to evolve into their superior forms. How braindead.
It's funny because I bet most genwunners love pokemon like scizor, umbreon, steelix, togepi, etc, but those will all be deleted.

Frankula

Jan 16, 2018
Didn't Emily say we were getting a Direct though to reveal the accessory as it needs explaining? Correct me if wrong

She speculated that the game would not be revealed at E3 because they are launching it with an accessory and she didn't think E3 was the right place for that announcement.

She's kept everything she's shared vague because A) Things can change and B) I'm pretty sure theres a lot of speculation mixed in with what she has told us. The vaguer you are, the easier it is to be right and thus maintain cred with your worshipers.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
I've never played a Pokémon, so I can't relate to or understand half of what's happening in here, but I'm still HYPED AF.

This will be my first Pokemon game, so I guess I'm hoping for Gen 1.

Ravager777

Jan 1, 2018
What's the point of having a game where you start with Eevee and more than half of the evolutions aren't available?
Well, what if GameFreak revamps the base stats of old Kanto pokemon along with their movepools. I think the likelyhood of this is high, as this will make Kanto pokemon more popular in the competetive scene, something I think GameFreak wants to achieve. If GameFreak would do that, then we could essentially have three new eevolutions: Vaporeon, Jolteon, and Flareon. Imagine Flareon having a base stat of 65 / 135 / 75 / 65 / 85 / 115 (instead of 65 / 130 / 60 / 95 / 110 / 65), thereby having a total base stat of 540, an increase of 15 from 525.

C.Tsubasa

Nov 8, 2017
It's not a direct guys, it's a media event that last for 90 minutes.

Will get the news after that. See you all in a couple of hours.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
She speculated that the game would not be revealed at E3 because they are launching it with an accessory and she didn't think E3 was the right place for that announcement.

She's kept everything she's shared vague because A) Things can change and B) I'm pretty sure theres a lot of speculation mixed in with what she has told us. The vaguer you are, the easier it is to be right.
She wasn't vague today. She said the games are being revealed before thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.