- Oct 25, 2017
POKÉMON (Untitled Generation 8)
Developer: Game Freak
Publisher: Nintendo/The Pokemon Company
Release Date: Late 2019
Platform: Nintendo Switch
We actually have some idea of what we can expect from Pokemon 8 when it finally launches:
- We know it is a Nintendo Switch game
- We know it launches in "late 2019"
- Game Freak has said this game will be made for "fans of the series"
- Game Freak has mentioned the game will be "like the handheld games", stating that they expect each player to play it on their own Switch system
- The Pokemon Company says Pokemon 8 will be "an evolution and iteration" of Pokemon
- Game Freak specifically name-dropped Pokemon X/Y and Sun/Moon as points of comparison; it is unknown if they mean the new games will literally follow in their footsteps, or if they were named as the most recent handheld games for Pokemon 8 to be compared to
- The Pokemon Company promises Pokemon 8 will have "far better graphics than any other game in the series before"
- Pokemon 8 won't take any cues from Pokemon GO, unlike Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee
- Pokemon 8 is the "core series Pokemon RPG" that Game Freak and The Pokemon Company teased at E3 in 2017
- Game Freak's Junichi Masuda hinted that Pokemon from the upcoming Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee can be transferred into Pokemon 8
- Pokemon 8 will have "lots of new Pokemon"
- 300 people are now working on Pokemon
- Game Freak has started to ramp up for the game's development as of September 2018.
- We can expect Pokemon 8 to be compatible with Sun/Moon via Pokemon Bank
- Pokemon Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee have one brand new Pokemon. Presumably, this Pokemon is a Gen 8 creature that you can forward into Pokemon 8
- This also further ties into the idea that Pokemon 8 will be compatible with LGPE.
- We can expect Pokemon 8 to have a brand new region
- We can expect Pokemon 8 to have brand new Pokemon, moves, and mechanics
- We can expect Pokemon 8 to have a brand new campaign along the lines of traditional Pokemon games
- Direct connectivity between Pokemon 8 and Pokemon GO may not be possible
Let's try and keep shitposting and unnecessary antagonism out of this thread. I'm not too happy with the current direction of the franchise myself, but I am holding out in hope that Gen 8 will usher in a new era for the games that makes me happy. Let's make this thread the hub for Gen 8 discussion.