• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2017
Technically they already did that by announcing the games in 2017 and again in 2018 with the difference they didn't even give us titles and we've had to wait a lot longer
I guess so but I remember the Pokemon Direct where we already knew the titles due to EU trademarks and that's literally all they showed after all this hype. Other than the pin boards that everyone spent weeks zooming in on and piecing together.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Uh... Don't expect Sinnoh remakes to look the same as Gen 8. They would have to basically make a brand new region and that's not the idea of remakes, but to cheaply and quickly develop a game in between new gens.

I 100% expect the Gen 4 remake to use a grid like Let's Go while preserving all mechanics from Gen 8.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Uh... Don't expect Sinnoh remakes to look the same as Gen 8. They would have to basically make a brand new region and that's not the idea of remakes, but to cheaply and quickly develop a game in between new gens.

I 100% expect the Gen 4 remake to use a grid like Let's Go while preserving all mechanics from Gen 8.
ORAS wasn't any different than XY, they had to build Hoenn just as they had to build Kalos. The point is the framework of the game can be easily re-used to speed up development

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
ORAS wasn't any different than XY, they had to build Hoenn just as they had to build Kalos. The point is the framework of the game can be easily re-used to speed up development
But both were still grid based. They just had to use the same grid, make routes a little larger and that's it, place 3D objects on top of it.

We all expect Gen 8 to not use a grid and be more free form, recreating Sinnoh would be much harder.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Sinnoh is the complete opposite philosophy of modern Game Freak, and we saw ORAS suffering because of it. Now, it's even worse. I think they would do it a complete disservice. I'd have to see more from them in Gen 8 to be confident.

Sinnoh being too complicated for younger kids is what started their path into more linear regions, and regions which felt disconnected. And that's not even considering the amount of stuff they cut out in remakes nowadays, compared to how packed to the brim HGSS was back in the day.

Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are their own group of Pokémon games to me with how their design philosophy changed going forward starting with Unova. And that's not to say I only enjoy the first four generations - I think BW2 is great.

Last edited:

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Even without the grid, Sinnoh still be done, the region size gonna suffer, tho.
But yeah, modern Gamefreak doesn't inspire confidence.
Well, we need to see Gen 8 before anything.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Can't relate to this "Modern GameFreak doesn't inspire confidence" mentality, Sun and Moon are the best games that aren't third versions or remakes since Gold and Silver.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Can't relate to this "Modern GameFreak doesn't inspire confidence" mentality, Sun and Moon are the best games that aren't third versions or remakes since Gold and Silver.
Well I for one strongly disagree. Do you at least see how someone could not like Sun and Moon due to the sheer amount of handholding and gating compared to other games, let alone other Pokemon games? I don't need to be told how pretty the region is every 20 minutes. Let me find places for myself and have my own feelings about them.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I for one strongly disagree. Do you at least see how someone could not like Sun and Moon due to the sheer amount of handholding and gating compared to other games, let alone other Pokemon games? I don't need to be told how pretty the region is every 20 minutes. Let me find places for myself and have my own feelings about them.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ pokemon games have never been hard, or even that confusing to run through the single player, but sun/moon was a bit much.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, Let's Go sold well, right?
They can always use the excuse 'but the nostalgia!'
I think LG suffered* from "first game bias". and with no game on the same system to compare it to, there wasn't much stopping it. but if Gen 8 has a more open world design, I don't think going back to a grid design would help Let's Go 2. the lack of camera control and world design and whatnot would make it look to much like a step back and hurt the sales potential of the game.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I could kinda see it but then I replayed Black 2 and noticed I was being stopped every 5 minutes too... So yeah I'm not sure.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I could kinda see it but then I replayed Black 2 and noticed I was being stopped every 5 minutes too... So yeah I'm not sure.
That's one of the reasons I don't really like Gen 5 either.

At the very least XY gave you long stretches of gameplay where you could just do things at your own pace. The first half of that game is spectacular, it's a shame the latter half feels rushed.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
That's one of the reasons I don't really like Gen 5 either.

At the very least XY gave you long stretches of gameplay where you could just do things at your own pace. The first half of that game is spectacular, it's a shame the latter half feels rushed.
I actually don't mind it and that's why I like gen 5 and 7 being story heavy. XY in comparison felt boring because there wasn't much going on

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I actually don't mind it and that's why I like gen 5 and 7 being story heavy. XY in comparison felt boring because there wasn't much going on
depends on what you go to it for, I am more pokemon trainer less save the world/beat evil team. I kinda dont want to be stopped ever 5 minutes.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 5 and 7 being story heavy wasn't so much the problem

the lack of a dialogue skip was a HUGE issue. and not even Let's Go cutscene skip function would help because it's the dialogue segments that stop you the majority of the time

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Gen 5 and 7 being story heavy wasn't so much the problem

the lack of a dialogue skip was a HUGE issue. and not even Let's Go cutscene skip function would help because it's the dialogue segments that stop you the majority of the time
Instead of letting you skip dialogue, they should just segment it better so that you get interrupted less often, for less trivial things, and when you do the plot gets advanced more to make up for it. Then even if you can't skip it you shouldn't be bothered too much because once it's done you're back to being free for a long time until the next story bit.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Instead of letting you skip dialogue, they should just segment it better so that you get interrupted less often, for less trivial things, and when you do the plot gets advanced more to make up for it. Then even if you can't skip it you shouldn't be bothered too much because once it's done you're back to being free for a long time until the next story bit.
there's no reason we can't have both. if the world is more open, then longer gaps between story bits will be inherent. will pacing get better? maybe. of course this implies they'll have a more spread out design to begin with

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I know people are hoping for a dolphin water starter, but whatever they do, it does seem overdue for them to just do a full on aquatic water starter. All of the ones they have done so far are based on amphibious animals. Is it so hard to design a cute fish? I think not.

Maybe they just don't want to put the whole "fish pokemon all can just levitate" thing front and center.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
A Pokemon Direct with a small tease + some small DLC for Let's Go + Detective Pikachu HD for Switch is my guess

Remakes are usually of the same style as the main games released just before. FireRed and LeafGreen were based on R/S, HeartGold and SoulSilver on Diamond and Pearl and so on. Every Pokémon game, either new generation or remake, has looked better than the previous one and I don't expect that to change with the Sinnoh remakes.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Sinnoh is the complete opposite philosophy of modern Game Freak, and we saw ORAS suffering because of it. Now, it's even worse. I think they would do it a complete disservice. I'd have to see more from them in Gen 8 to be confident.

Sinnoh being too complicated for younger kids is what started their path into more linear regions, and regions which felt disconnected. And that's not even considering the amount of stuff they cut out in remakes nowadays, compared to how packed to the brim HGSS was back in the day.

Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are their own group of Pokémon games to me with how their design philosophy changed going forward starting with Unova. And that's not to say I only enjoy the first four generations - I think BW2 is great.
I agree with this completely. I absolutely adore the world design of gen 1 and 3. The way the world just fits together as you progress is so well done, especially in Hoenn where the first half of the game ends up with you fighting Norman. The team behind the remake were so desperate to undermine that design with the auto-travel; it's a real shame.

That said, I really enjoyed B/W and their sequels as they at least paced the story really well. It's the 3D games where they took a nose dive on the game design front.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Going back in one discussion, there is no way they changed plans so drastically this year. We went through the very same thing people are speculating about back in 2015. It was obvious something was being planned for Zygarde, but something changed
Im not expecting a gameplay leap either
I think we will see some changes. Maybe not in the battles, but I see overworld traversal, exploration, and interactivity to have huge strides being done to evolve the single player. I haven't played Lets go as I do not own a Switch, but I have seen some of the stuff they did. Moments like the Pokemon Tower ghosts chasing you, Pikachu or Eevee getting the key from the rafters in Silph Co, things like that will be far more widespread and varied I believe.

the worst thing I think is realistically pssible is GF opening up the routes to be more wider like the Poni Plains and not much more
162627-1515456000.png

essentially just window dressing of a "larger world"

Nah. I think we will see 2 or 3 of these areas as a "fork", with multiple routes spreading out from it, but not the entire game. I think we will see more routes like Route 1, Route 13, etc. Classic style routes that will twist and turn, play with the elevation and verticality, intergrate POIs much more organically, but stuff like Poni Plains will be rarer, and much more unique happenings.

Really hope Gamefreak goes all out with these games and give us a post game in the same vein as HGSS/Emerald/BW2. That whole pattern of releasing a new gen with barebones post game and releasing a 3rd version/sequel the following year with a fleshed out post game might not work when people are forking over $60 now
I agree. I think from here on out the flagship title will be much more fleshed out, bar the special legendary that isn't on the box like Ratquza, Giratina, Kyurem, and Necrozma. I would even speculate the games will launch at 50$/€ to accommodate a 3rd version style DLC season pass

I expect the opposite. Despite ORAS/Let's Go, I think they will try to actually update Sinnoh in the new style. Improbable? Sure. But I hage a funny feeling that its gonna be the opposite.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I think we will see 2 or 3 of these areas as a "fork", with multiple routes spreading out from it, but not the entire game. I think we will see more routes like Route 1, Route 13, etc. Classic style routes that will twist and turn, play with the elevation and verticality, intergrate POIs much more organically, but stuff like Poni Plains will be rarer, and much more unique happenings.
Alola's Route 13?

latest

They'll need a good bit of interactables to really make it work. If every route has a point of interest, there probably won't be many routes.

tenderbrew

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Getting hyped for this, do any streaming services have a majority of the anime? Netflix has a few years on it but nowhere near comprehensive.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I know people are hoping for a dolphin water starter, but whatever they do, it does seem overdue for them to just do a full on aquatic water starter. All of the ones they have done so far are based on amphibious animals. Is it so hard to design a cute fish? I think not.

Maybe they just don't want to put the whole "fish pokemon all can just levitate" thing front and center.

I for one prefer they doing something different. Like creating starters there aren't animals, more like objects or things. They never did that. Very unlikelly though.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Alola's Route 13?

latest

They'll need a good bit of interactables to really make it work. If every route has a point of interest, there probably won't be many routes.
Shit, I meant route 10, before you go up to the observatory. As for the route count, that doesn't make sense. Unova has nearly 30 routes, and bar 5 or 6 of them, each one has a cave/forest/dungeon/area to explore. Alola as well, however this time around the POIs were also Trial sites.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shit, I meant route 10, before you go up to the observatory. As for the route count, that doesn't make sense. Unova has nearly 30 routes, and bar 5 or 6 of them, each one has a cave/forest/dungeon/area to explore. Alola as well, however this time around the POIs were also Trial sites.
Unova was also a top down game on the DS. Moving to HD 3D, the design philosophy will have to change in order to not have repetition set in. Routes having those elevation changes and twists and turns like you mentioned would take more work if the camera is controllable. So yes, route count would be quite different unless they either put in a ton of work or the routes themselves just aren't good

I don't know if too many of these would be good for the game

latest

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Regarding linearity....

I've just finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (my first experience of the franchise) and one thing I really liked is that even though the narrative is linear, venturing off the beaten path to do side quests, take on tougher enemies, visit new areas or complete new blades affinity charts means that it doesn't feel like you're being funneled through a single path.

Side quests especially would do wonders for the Pokemon experience and would work so well.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Unova was also a top down game on the DS. Moving to HD 3D, the design philosophy will have to change in order to not have repetition set in. Routes having those elevation changes and twists and turns like you mentioned would take more work if the camera is controllable. So yes, route count would be quite different unless they either put in a ton of work or the routes themselves just aren't good

I don't know if too many of these would be good for the game

latest
So what do you propose they do then? Alola had some neat concepts, but its biggest flaw was the lack of cities. I understand why it had only 6 or 7 compared to previous regions because the trials allowed them to go for a more nature oriented region,but they cannot keep doing that style. If they go back to gyms, that means we should be getting back to 10-15 city/town sized regions again, and that requires the same number of routes as previous ones. Repetitive landscapes is not an issue if they start playing around with the concept of a route imo. And it certainly wasn't an issue in Gen 7, which was already more organic and a huge step forward.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be okay if the next Pokemon sticks with the routes, but let's them be wider with more points of interest on them. The best examples I can think of would be Witcher 3 or Horizon Zero Dawn, where the games are technically open world, but it's more about sticking near the main paths or roads and finding cool things just off it.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what do you propose they do then? Alola had some neat concepts, but its biggest flaw was the lack of cities. I understand why it had only 6 or 7 compared to previous regions because the trials allowed them to go for a more nature oriented region,but they cannot keep doing that style. If they go back to gyms, that means we should be getting back to 10-15 city/town sized regions again, and that requires the same number of routes as previous ones. Repetitive landscapes is not an issue if they start playing around with the concept of a route imo. And it certainly wasn't an issue in Gen 7, which was already more organic and a huge step forward.
when I brought up Poni Plains, I mentioned that as a worse case scenario. Poni Plains was a small and sparse field. if it had some kind of height variation or roaming pokemon, it'd be much better.

but my optimistic, but realistic expectation is, and forgive me for sounding like a broken record here, something like Dragon Quest or Monster Hunter Stories*

latest

MHS had like 5 towns but the fields were pretty damn open with some dungeons. Dragon Quest 8 had 16 towns and the world design was linear but with a good deal of exploration

Large Map using the ingame assets, so you can see the main path and how much you can explore
https://www.woodus.com/den/gallery/...est_8_Overworld_Map_25_Percent_Resolution.png

these are well within the ability of Game Freak, I think. and we all know I don't have too high of an opinion of them.

*christ, I bring up these two games a lot, but I do it for a reason. a lot of the problems I have with Pokemon have been handily solved with these two games.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What they do for routes/environments will probably be really influenced by what kind of encounter design they go with.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go is a taste of future encounter design, pokemon roaming the fields and whatnot, but more natural. something akin to Xenoblade would be perfect, though that's a more intelligently designed placement.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I still stand that with new Pokemon, it would swiftly kill any sense of discovery left within the games to have them pop up on the overworld any second. Yes its surprising to see it pop up like that, but there is just something more special about going into the grass and not knowing what you will find. Overworld encounters that gradually includes more Pokemon based on Pokedex entries is a far more elegabt solution. The more species you discover in wild grass encounters, the more start populating the overworld. Basically, overworld encounters are a result and a reward for finding new species in wild grass random encounters, not just being there. I feel it just destroys any semblance of what Pokemon does right

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018

I had the opposite feeling. I thought Sun and Moon were the worst Poke'mon games by a long shot. And the Ultra variants just felt like a gross cash-grab. I mean, moreso than usual haha.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Let's Go is a taste of future encounter design, pokemon roaming the fields and whatnot, but more natural. something akin to Xenoblade would be perfect, though that's a more intelligently designed placement.
Pokemon roaming the field was long over due, should have been in the 3DS games I felt, other games such as dragon quest had free roaming enemies on the 3DS. I still feel unsafe, gamefreak could remove this feature in gen 8, they are known to remove features in the next enteries and especially the ones we love.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I had the opposite feeling. I thought Sun and Moon were the worst Poke'mon games by a long shot. And the Ultra variants just felt like a gross cash-grab. I mean, moreso than usual haha.
I mean USUM provided more changes than any prior enhanced version so I'm curious why you think that

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I still stand that with new Pokemon, it would swiftly kill any sense of discovery left within the games to have them pop up on the overworld any second. Yes its surprising to see it pop up like that, but there is just something more special about going into the grass and not knowing what you will find. Overworld encounters that gradually includes more Pokemon based on Pokedex entries is a far more elegabt solution. The more species you discover in wild grass encounters, the more start populating the overworld. Basically, overworld encounters are a result and a reward for finding new species in wild grass random encounters, not just being there. I feel it just destroys any semblance of what Pokemon does right
I mean, it's not like Game Freak doesn't reveal the entire dex before launch anyways...
Still, I understand your point, but I do think the sense of awe and discovery when running into a Pokémon you haven't seen yet can be translated to overworld encounters. I mean, imagine you're in a forest and you start to notice cocoon-shaped Pokémon hanging on tree branches or barks, or maybe surfing across a lake and running into a big water Pokémon just briefly popping up on the surface before going underwater again. As long as the spawns aren't like LGPE, where grass patches are simply spawn points and Pokémon just wander around waiting to be caught, and you run into Pokémon that actually look like they're just going by their lives, the sense of discovery is kept.

Status
Not open for further replies.