• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still stand that with new Pokemon, it would swiftly kill any sense of discovery left within the games to have them pop up on the overworld any second. Yes its surprising to see it pop up like that, but there is just something more special about going into the grass and not knowing what you will find. Overworld encounters that gradually includes more Pokemon based on Pokedex entries is a far more elegabt solution. The more species you discover in wild grass encounters, the more start populating the overworld. Basically, overworld encounters are a result and a reward for finding new species in wild grass random encounters, not just being there. I feel it just destroys any semblance of what Pokemon does right
considering random encounters is now the minority in rpg game design, most of the potential purchasers of Gen 8 won't mind. discovery can still be had when you spot a new pokemon and unsure of how to tackle it.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
The idea that overworld pokemon would take away a sense of discovery doesn't entirely make sense to me. I feel like I'd see a new pokemon in the distance and go "Whoa, what the heck is that?!" and start rushing towards it!

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously, imagine getting up to a high hill and seeing a new Pokemon in the distance with your binocs, then getting on your rideable Pokemon and going off towards it.

And when you get there you use your scope to take photos of it to get graded later in an ongoing sidequest.

And then you place some berries down to lure it and crouch sneak so it won't run away and you can initiate a battle with it, wear it down and catch it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda don't want rideable Pokemon to return. At the very least they need to bring back the bike in addition to rideable Pokemon.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What ? Why ? How riding a bike is better than riding an Arcanine for example ?
I don't have to waste a slot in my party and just tapping a button is way faster than going into a menu and shuffling choosing the Pokemon I want to ride if I do end up having one in my party.

I didn't have a single rideable Pokemon on my team in Let's Go.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
What ? Why ? How riding a bike is better than riding an Arcanine for example ?
Frankly, as cool as it was, most rideable Pokémon cluttered screen space, and interacting with NPCs and objects became a problem because if you weren't really close to them, you'd interact with your pokémon instead, prompting an unnecessary dialogue. Also, choosing to ride a Pokémon or not was cumbersome. It needs rework.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have to waste a slot in my party and just tapping a button is way faster than going into a menu and shuffling choosing the Pokemon I want to ride if I do end up having one in my party.

I didn't have a single rideable Pokemon on my team in Let's Go.
Frankly, as cool as it was, most rideable Pokémon cluttered screen space, and interacting with NPCs and objects became a problem because if you weren't really close to them, you'd interact with your pokémon instead, prompting an unnecessary dialogue. Also, choosing to ride a Pokémon or not was cumbersome. It needs rework.

That's mainly due to Let's Go limitations in terms of map (too small and tiled based), and buttons (game was designed to use a minimal number of buttons because of the PokeBall Plus).

Both of these limitations should be gone in the next games.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
That's mainly due to Let's Go limitations in terms of map (too small and tiled based), and buttons (game was designed to use a minimal number of buttons because of the PokeBall Plus).

Yeah, hopefully! I'd love to see it return but improved. Still, I don't think people should be tied to a specific Pokémon in their party to have a faster means of navigation, so the option to ride bikes should be a thing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, imagine getting up to a high hill and seeing a new Pokemon in the distance with your binocs, then getting on your rideable Pokemon and going off towards it.

And when you get there you use your scope to take photos of it to get graded later in an ongoing sidequest.

And then you place some berries down to lure it and crouch sneak so it won't run away and you can initiate a battle with it, wear it down and catch it.
whoa, slow down there. Game Freak is getting dizzy from all those features

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
mhm, I feel like a lot of the changes USUM made to S/M felt like far more substantial content than we've gotten in previous third versions too. Adding new pokemon mid gen felt huge and certain sidequests such as seven wonders really made the campaign feel more meaty. As someone who never cared about battle frontier, I found the inclusion of ultra wormholes and RR episode much more attractive. While I wasn't too hot on Sun & Moon when they dropped, USUM really turned the seventh generation into one of my favorites. I hope we see that level in content in the first gen 8 installments

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
this is a bit silly but I also just think bikes are cool. I'm all for increasing the ways you can interact with your pokemon (I mean, I ask for more of that stuff all the time), but I also like the more err, sim-y? (there's probably a better way to describe this) elements the series has had, whether it's fishing, riding a bike, or items like the pokegear. It just makes the world feel that bit more convincing.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Well the limitation of forcing you to catch a Pokemon ou can ride would still be in place, unless you're talking about a system like Sun/Moon. In which case I hated that system and really don;t want to see it return.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the gulf coast in SE USA or the Pacific Northwest in US/Canada would be my preferred regions

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I mean, it's not like Game Freak doesn't reveal the entire dex before launch anyways...
Still, I understand your point, but I do think the sense of awe and discovery when running into a Pokémon you haven't seen yet can be translated to overworld encounters. I mean, imagine you're in a forest and you start to notice cocoon-shaped Pokémon hanging on tree branches or barks, or maybe surfing across a lake and running into a big water Pokémon just briefly popping up on the surface before going underwater again. As long as the spawns aren't like LGPE, where grass patches are simply spawn points and Pokémon just wander around waiting to be caught, and you run into Pokémon that actually look like they're just going by their lives, the sense of discovery is kept.
The spawns will be exactly like Lets Go. Come on. Some cave/sea/forest encounters will be like Gen 7 where they pop out of the sea or jump down from the cave or tree, but the majority will be random pop ups.

considering random encounters is now the minority in rpg game design, most of the potential purchasers of Gen 8 won't mind. discovery can still be had when you spot a new pokemon and unsure of how to tackle it.
Tackle it how exactly? One time you battle it, and then you learn its type, sam exact thing as random encounters. Its a miniscule difference and I agree that the general public would not mind such a change, I just think Let's Go is heavily affecting the reception to it as positive because its being done with already known Pokemon.

The idea that overworld pokemon would take away a sense of discovery doesn't entirely make sense to me. I feel like I'd see a new pokemon in the distance and go "Whoa, what the heck is that?!" and start rushing towards it!
Okay, and you encounter 5 new Pokemon in a route, all at the same time, without warning. Sensory overload, just having it all available at that second. Its astounding people decry gamefreak for casualization and making the games too easy, but are suddenly okay with whittling away at every single aspect of the series' core when it comes to the single player side.

We are talking about Pokemon, yes?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tackle it how exactly? One time you battle it, and then you learn its type, sam exact thing as random encounters. Its a miniscule difference and I agree that the general public would not mind such a change, I just think Let's Go is heavily affecting the reception to it as positive because its being done with already known Pokemon.
Okay, and you encounter 5 new Pokemon in a route, all at the same time, without warning. Sensory overload, just having it all available at that second. Its astounding people decry gamefreak for casualization and making the games too easy, but are suddenly okay with whittling away at every single aspect of the series' core when it comes to the single player side.
then this is a "you" problem. 5 pokemon is a sensory overload? then how has non-random encounters become the standard? how do 4M people cope with Dragon Quest not having random encounters anymore? and don't forget that game also has new monsters in it, much like Pokemon will

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The spawns will be exactly like Lets Go. Come on. Some cave/sea/forest encounters will be like Gen 7 where they pop out of the sea or jump down from the cave or tree, but the majority will be random pop ups.
This isn't the first time Game Freak included Pokémon naturally in their respective habitats, though. Gen 7 and ORAS had that, where you'd see Pokémon fly by, roaming or, in the case of HM Dive, peacefully swim around. The only difference here is that they weren't encounters, but that's hardly a limitation.
I'm not saying this is what they'll do; I can't possibly say that because we know nothing about this game. I'm just saying what they need to do is improve on a feature that already exists, so it's not entirely outside of the realm of possibility.

May 30, 2018
Pokemon needs to pull a Smash Bros "Everyone is here"

All Pokemon are obtainable in this game

For example, the bushes outside the starting Hometown would have rattata zigzagoon lilipup etc

All Gens represented by the Gym Leaders and Elite 4 and Champs

Pick from one of like 21 starters

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017

For example, the bushes outside the starting Hometown would have rattata zigzagoon lilipup etc

No thanks.

New gen Pokémons + a few selected others for variety, there's really no need to bloat the game with routes with 35 different species and having 10 of them with a spawn rate of 1%.

It's a non issue this one.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No thanks.

New gen Pokémons + a few selected others for variety, there's really no need to bloat the game with routes with 35 different species and having 10 of them with a spawn rate of 1%.

It's a non issue this one.
What of we had the same system of Pokemon Go with mons in the overworld and being able to find rare mons by having a catch counter increase the spawn rates of rare Pokemon.

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
What of we had the same system of Pokemon Go with mons in the overworld and being able to find rare mons by having a catch counter increase the spawn rates of rare Pokemon.

The real issue imo is that there are way too many Pokémon to have all of them in a single region. Ideally every route should have its own identity also because of some very specific Pokémons in the there. I think having too many Pokémons in a single route would ruin such a concept.

XY had the perfect balance imo, every route had plenty of Pokémons to capture and IIRC the total in the game was 450 Pokémons, but I know that there is a strong part of the fanbase that would like ever less Pokémons because they want to see the newer ones more than the old ones.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if they really wanted all pokemon in a game, they could have an area that has online-enabled spawning events

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Eww no. They need to cut down on the amount of old Pokemon in the game.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
if they really wanted all pokemon in a game, they could have an area that has online-enabled spawning events

I think this would be the best solution.

I also wouldn't mind just a big ass post-game nature preserve/safari zone like area where they can dump in as many old Pokémon as possible.

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018
I think this would be the best solution.

I also wouldn't mind just a big ass post-game nature preserve/safari zone like area where they can dump in as many old Pokémon as possible.
Yes and have like 200 new Pokémon in the main game, with a huge new region with lots of areas to explore. That's what I expect from something with the power of the switch.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
How about an online Safari Zone, but the Pokemon selection is based on daily/weekly releases from trainers all around the world. You know those 50 larvitsrs you released because they had crap IVs? Well look, now others can catch them!

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
After replaying Ultra Moon recently, I'm positive that they'll ditch random encounters for overworld encounters similar to Let's Go. Overworld encounters are everywhere, from rustling grass to flyers to diggers to the ones hiding in bushes to that Wimpod puzzle and more. Grass was easy to avoid, and water had low rates, so the only time you're bombarded with random encounters is in caves. I'm actually half-surprised they didn't go the whole way in Alola.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France

It wouldn't work.
If you want all pokémons it has to be something post game. To meet and catch 1000+ pokémons during the main game is just way too much. Even a fucking rattata would had a 5% spawn rate if you have 1000 pokémons in the main game lol.

I'm ok with having some classic Pokémons available during the main game, the most popular ones (Pikachu, Eevee, Lucario, etc...) But I think it's really important to let the new pokémons shine. They must be the stars of their gen.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
After replaying Ultra Moon recently, I'm positive that they'll ditch random encounters for overworld encounters similar to Let's Go. Overworld encounters are everywhere, from rustling grass to flyers to diggers to the ones hiding in bushes to that Wimpod puzzle and more. Grass was easy to avoid, and water had low rates, so the only time you're bombarded with random encounters is in caves. I'm actually half-surprised they didn't go the whole way in Alola.
They probably only didn't because of 3DS's power tbh.

The overworld encounters are probably the best part about Let's Go. They're still random, but they help make the world feel more alive. There are issues to work out, but still

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
Big focus on graphics and going free camera might be cool for the 8th generation but that might also mean big sacrfice in content.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't work.
If you want all pokémons it has to be something post game. To meet and catch 1000+ pokémons during the main game is just way too much. Even a fucking rattata would had a 5% spawn rate if you have 1000 pokémons in the main game lol.

I'm ok with having some classic Pokémons available during the main game, the most popular ones (Pikachu, Eevee, Lucario, etc...) But I think it's really important to let the new pokémons shine. They must be the stars of their gen.
a online area for catching pokemon makes the most sense, maybe even split it by type.

May 30, 2018
It wouldn't work.

Main Game should be like Gen 5. All new Pokemon, no old ones return. This would help them not get overshadowed by the older Pokemon,that's a good point

Post game should have a new region where they could just dump every Pokemon in the game. Make it tied to the day of the week

On Monday Kanto Pokemon appear, on like Wednesday Hoenn and so forth

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Main Game should be like Gen 5. All new Pokemon, no old ones return. This would help them not get overshadowed by the older Pokemon,that's a good point

Post game should have a new region where they could just dump every Pokemon in the game. Make it tied to the day of the week

On Monday Kanto Pokemon appear, on like Wednesday Hoenn and so forth
Yeah this would be cool.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Just realized this thread was created on my birthday.

Regarding this 2019 Pokemon game, Do people envision the ability to Fly on a big pokemon like Charizard or Dragonite and be able to throw a pokeball in mid-air and fight while on the flying pokemons back. ? Or swimming underwater while hanging onto the pokemon.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I'm used to getting lower amounts of pokemon per generation now, but I really wish they'd at least they'd stop revealing literally everything before launch. It makes it feel like we get less pokemon than we actually do when we've already seen mostly everything months before the game releases.

For the sake of enjoying things more I might have to do a media blackout on this game at some point, but I do hope they either choose not to show off as much pokemon, or just add more pokemon in than gens 6-7

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm used to getting lower amounts of pokemon per generation now, but I really wish they'd at least they'd stop revealing literally everything before launch. It makes it feel like we get less pokemon than we actually do when we've already seen mostly everything months before the game releases.

For the sake of enjoying things more I might have to do a media blackout on this game at some point, but I do hope they either choose not to show off as much pokemon, or just add more pokemon in than gens 6-7
Yeah that's what bummed me about X/Y and Sun/Moon's lead ups... we finally get worldwide releases and then they suck all the surprise out of the games lol

Roukira

Dec 1, 2018
France, Paris

Damn I hope one day playing Pokemon will be like that.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
They probably only didn't because of 3DS's power tbh.

The overworld encounters are probably the best part about Let's Go. They're still random, but they help make the world feel more alive. There are issues to work out, but still
Uh....3DS was quite capable, a larger RPG than Pokemon, dragon quest 7, 8, 9 ( 9 was on DS, overworld encounters!) 10 and 11 all had overworld encounters, what does that say about Gamfreak's ability?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.