• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak will disappoint me somehow

but I'm hyped to shit

TO SHIT

they're out of excuses now (even if their previous ones were shit). they're charging $60 now and they have to stand next to games like Xenoblade and Breath of the Wild, all the while outselling them by 1.5x in Zelda's case or 15x in Xenoblade's case. put up or shut up, GF

Crazy_KiD_169

Jun 21, 2018

but I'm hyped to shit

TO SHIT

they're out of excuses now (even if their previous ones were shit). they're charging $60 now and they have to stand next to games like Xenoblade and Breath of the Wild, all the while outselling them by 1.5x in Zelda's case or 15x in Xenoblade's case. put up or shut up, GF
Yeah I completely agree with this, they have no more excuses. At the same time I'm expecting to be disappointed.

Wander_

Banned
Feb 26, 2018
i just want a reveal trailer like this

BUT

before that

I want they to share the silhouettes of the starters

Pokemon-Black-and-White-starter-silhouettes-for-Nintendo-DS.jpg

it was so fun back in that time

Jan 9, 2018
Y'all remember those "the rival is Red's son, Yellow!" fake leaks? Man that shit got me so hyped lol, I was willing to actually care about another Kanto game... before we found out it was fake and we ultimately got LGPE, so yeah...

It'd be nice if we got some good fake leaks to pass the time at this point. I might be alone in that tho.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm alone here, but I'd love it if they revealed the starter evos alongside the starters. I'm tired of getting excited for the fire starter in it's first stage then hating it when it evolves. It's happened 3 gens in a row now.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm alone here, but I'd love it if they revealed the starter evos alongside the starters. I'm tired of getting excited for the fire starter in it's first stage then hating it when it evolves. It's happened 3 gens in a row now.

aren't the full lines usually shown/leaked well before the games launch?

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
From what I remember they usually they don't show the final starter evolutions until after the game launches, except with Sun and Moon where they basically showed every dang Pokemon before release.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all remember those "the rival is Red's son, Yellow!" fake leaks? Man that shit got me so hyped lol, I was willing to actually care about another Kanto game... before we found out it was fake and we ultimately got LGPE, so yeah...

It'd be nice if we got some good fake leaks to pass the time at this point. I might be alone in that tho.

I mean the only fake leaks atm are the Crown and Scepter ones and just a few drawings of starters. I feel like fake leaks will amp up once the names are revealed.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

but I'm hyped to shit

TO SHIT

Not every game needs to be big open world

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I'd be happy with another typical Pokémon game. I just want less hand holding and bigger routes for the next games, and a bit more Pokémon than the past 2 generations.

I feel like these are pretty reasonable hopes to have

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Nah I'm with you man.
Until gen 6, you knew what you were getting into when you got attached to your starter, and while not as creative as the most recent ones, the evolution lines were way more consistent. I imagine people who chose Turtwig were happy with Torterra.

I understand Gamefreak wanting to surprise the player, but the last form being something totally different from the first makes you wonder why you chose it. I've never been burned so bad as I was with Poplio. Sea Lions are my fave animal, and I was defending the little dude when everyone was dissing him. Then they turn it into a furbait mermaid.

They need to stop incorporating as many humanoid elements into them too. The first 5 gen final evolutions for the majority look like something you'd find in the wild. Gen 6 and 7 look like people in animal costumes.

I hope they go back to designing something that could be an animal rather than the edgy one, the feminine one, and the macho one.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Until gen 6, you knew what you were getting into when you got attached to your starter, and while not as creative as the most recent ones, the evolution lines were way more consistent. I imagine people who chose Turtwig were happy with Torterra.
I mean that's not entirely true. In Gens 2, 3, 4 & 5 we didn't get the starter final evos officially revealed before launch

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what the Xenoblade games are.

BOTW be damned, world design in the Xenoblade template would be the ideal extrapolation from previous Pokémon games, and I don't see why we should demand anything less from a proper Switch game. We know it can be done on a smaller budget than anything Pokémon has to work with- there are no excuses any more.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I mean that's not entirely true. In Gens 2, 3, 4 & 5 we didn't get the starter final evos officially revealed before launch
I meant more that the first form was visually and thematically similar to the final form, so if you chose Totodile Feraligatr would still be up your alley design wise.

The newer gens just seem to bring a theme out of nowhere in the second evolution.

It's strange as the past 2 gens actual pokedexs are among the strongest theyve designed, it's the starters that just let them down.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Nah I'm with you man.

I understand Gamefreak wanting to surprise the player, but the last form being something totally different from the first makes you wonder why you chose it. I've never been burned so bad as I was with Poplio. Sea Lions are my fave animal, and I was defending the little dude when everyone was dissing him. Then they turn it into a furbait mermaid.

They need to stop incorporating as many humanoid elements into them too. The first 5 gen final evolutions for the majority look like something you'd find in the wild. Gen 6 and 7 look like people in animal costumes.

I hope they go back to designing something that could be an animal rather than the edgy one, the feminine one, and the macho one.

I mean I LOVE Blaziken but you wouldnt see it in the wild heh.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I think the "openness" of SM/USUM was the path to follow, just on a bigger scale. Doesn't need to be a full go-anywhere open-world, but wider routes and towns would be a nice addition.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
never thought id see USUM used as an example of openess, i thought it was incredibly linear to the point of irritation myself. you barely can deviate from the main path and explore and they put the most ridiculous roadblocks to ensure you follow their intended way (that they used the stupid guy searching for items on stoutland blocking an entire street more than once is insulting)

By the time you can actually explore a thing the game is almost over. Hell, a good portion of side areas are literally post game only

Ultra Sun and Moon made things slightly better but still feels way too limited for me

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I said nor have I ever asked for this

never thought id see USUM used as an example of openess, i thought it was incredibly linear to the point of irritation myself. you barely can deviate from the main path and explore and they put the most ridiculous roadblocks to ensure you follow their intended way (that they used the stupid guy searching for items on stoutland blocking an entire street more than once is insulting)

By the time you can actually explore a thing the game is almost over. Hell, a good portion of side areas are literally post game only

Ultra Sun and Moon made things slightly better but still feels way too limited for me
The games even started making jokes about the arbitrary gate blocking. It's like they know their game design is bad

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
I dream of a region based on the river nile, you start from the bottom and the league is at the top.

That's it.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Nah I'm with you man.

I agree. The last couple of generations this is pretty much how I feel about the starters - I like the first stages, heavily dislike what comes after that. The Froakie line has been the exception and is one I do enjoy. Rowlet and Litten are so good, but man do I not like their evolutions. I guess with Gen 8 I should hope for the reverse and not like any of the first stages. It might mean I will like what they evolve into lol

Last edited:

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017

When I say openness I mean that in SM/USUM you can virtually go to all the places you see (except a couple of zones I think). You can explore all the corners of the islands. In the rest of the games you are confined to a route and that's it, you can't explore the region fully, there are always huge blank spaces you literally can't go to.

Now, there will always be empty spaces you can't go to, but making the routes wider, with a more than one path and make them feel "bigger" would solve the problem of feeling confined to a hallway between towns.

Being linear has nothing to do with the feeling of openness. We can still have "hallways" between towns, but with some tweaks they can feel "open-worldly".

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Xenoblade games are strictly linear. You can have a wide, explorable world without ripping up the structure of the games.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Problem is i dont see this "linear but wide, explorable world" in USUM either

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Problem is i dont see this "linear but wide, explorable world" in USUM either
There's only one region in the series that's close to that, and it's Unova.

It's a real shame that they hit on such a winning formula in those games, only to be spooked away from it by mobile phones and complaints on the internet.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
There's only one region in the series that's close to that, and it's Unova.

It's a real shame that they hit on such a winning formula in those games, only to be spooked away from it by mobile phones and complaints on the internet.
Alola is a bit more watered down with its dungeon design, but its very close to Unova. Trials sites also do not help this case out either, but its there. If say there was a trial sute and an optional POI dungeon or otherwise alongside each one, it would have been just as wide and explorable. But yeah, they need to look closer st Unova, see what they got right, and expand on it.
Sinnoh is more labyrinthe in its structure, but its routes, dungeons, and optional exploration is much more linear ajd focused than Unova.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, Sinnoh doesn't really match what I'm thinking about either- it's not linear enough, for a start.

Unova has a relatively small, linear path through the region- once you've beaten the game you can easily run across the region in 5 or 10 minutes. It also has an enormous amount of side areas, some of which need to be explored to progress, but many of which are totally, entirely optional. I adored it, and I think it's a true shame that no other region in the games has sought to emulate this design.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Sinnoh is more labyrinthe in its structure, but its routes, dungeons, and optional exploration is much more linear ajd focused than Unova.
Nah, Sinnoh doesn't really match what I'm thinking about either- it's not linear enough, for a start.

Unova has a relatively small, linear path through the region- once you've beaten the game you can easily run across the region in 5 or 10 minutes. It also has an enormous amount of side areas, some of which need to be explored to progress, but many of which are totally, entirely optional. I adored it, and I think it's a true shame that no other region in the games has sought to emulate this design.
Okay, thanks for enlightening me !

IceFireTerry

Mar 17, 2018
To me its like hoping for a darker Mario or Zelda and id prefer they stop with the preachy, melodramatic stuff and go back to the mostly jovial journey to become champion of old.
that's not what i mean. i know Pokemon is not Nintendo but i love my Nintendo games when it has surprisingly dark & creepy moments.

like WTF
3dc.gif

also what zelda or mario game is preachy? major's mask probably has the darkest themes is a zelda game but it's not preachy.

Jan 9, 2018
I mean the only fake leaks atm are the Crown and Scepter ones and just a few drawings of starters. I feel like fake leaks will amp up once the names are revealed.

Very true. Man I hope they announce the titles by February at the very least lol. I'm kinda dying out here with no info on any Nintendo games coming out this year after Q1.

The Xenoblade games are strictly linear. You can have a wide, explorable world without ripping up the structure of the games.

This is the dream. Then again, we'd probably only get this kinda thing in like Gen. 12 for the Switch 3....

But I still do hope they open the world up. A route being a hallway is super boring, they should each be their own little explorable worlds imo. Doesn't have to XB2 size lol, but big enough to actually be fun. And more interesting dungeons like caves and deserts, even better if they're big and partially optional. That way you'd get to choose when you want to explore it and that there will just be that much more to explore.

that's not what i mean. i know Pokemon is not Nintendo but i love my Nintendo games when it has surprisingly dark & creepy moments.

Pokemon has subtly dark elements in their games, too. I mean, Sea Mauville? Or that Hex girl in XY that had people losing their minds for a short while. The backstory in games like XY, too. Pokedex entries can be plenty creepy as well, lol.

All in all, I don't think asking for more of that is an odd request, since it's already been a part of the games for a while. And I'm with you on that I think it adds a lot to the Pokemon world.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
Lusamine's trophy room where she kept Pokémon frozen in suspended animation was pretty damn dark. Also, the implications of child abuse throughout the game.

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
This. Pokemon is not a series that I see could thrive with large scale open-world design, it will end up either being too overwhelming or too boring. I rather see a fleshed out and breathing world than some grand open-world with what would most likely just end up being vast regions of open plains.

IceFireTerry

Mar 17, 2018
Pokemon has subtly dark elements in their games, too. I mean, Sea Mauville? Or that Hex girl in XY that had people losing their minds for a short while. The backstory in games like XY, too. Pokedex entries can be plenty creepy as well, lol.

All in all, I don't think asking for more of that is an odd request, since it's already been a part of the games for a while. And I'm with you on that I think it adds a lot to the Pokemon world.
word

Lusamine's trophy room where she kept Pokémon frozen in suspended animation was pretty damn dark. Also, the implications of child abuse throughout the game.
i never beat sun & moon because i lost my 3ds but this is new to me

Status
Not open for further replies.