• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Oh it reminds me of some fakemons long long ago.

At the time, people were wondering how the final evo of gen 5 starters were. So a fake art(which looks like a cover) appeared, with some nice interesting concepts.
The final water starter looks like a misture of Oshawott and Beartic. The fire starter was more like a quadruped wildboar, with a ball in the tail(similar to Marill) but with a poison symbol(it was speculated to be fire/poison). The grass starter on the other hand looks a bit closer to Serperior from what I remember...the difference is that it has wings in shape of leafs.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Remember these?
YDqfLud.jpg

I love that creepy clown Popplio evolution, lol.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
So, we're expecting a Pokémon Direct for next month or later?

Feb has a pretty decent shot of it, especially because of pokemon day. If the actual games aren't announced that month, there's still a chance of a new pokemon or something being shown off as it's happened the past few generations (zorua, sylveon, magearna)

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Feb has a pretty decent shot of it, especially because of pokemon day. If the actual games aren't announced that month, there's still a chance of a new pokemon or something being shown off as it's happened the past few generations (zorua, sylveon, magearna)
Pokémon Day, yes, totally forgot about that.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what we're getting for the first route traditions this time. A heron or crane would be nice for the final stage of the bird, maybe ending up as Fighting/Flying or Ghost/Flying.

I totally want a new type combo for the starting bird, Bug and Rodent. Maybe another Flying/Steel type that isnt Skarm. I wanted a wood pecker for that type combo but anything else works. I'd like a Bug/Dark Beetle that we havent used (maybe a heavy stylished dung beetle that rolls with a bomb?) as for the rodent.. Normal/Fire Skunk (yeah i know Stuntank if there but I think it would be neat.)

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Give us two early Bugs again, make them Bug/Dark and Bug/Psychic, and give them respectable BSTs like Gen V.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what we're getting for the first route traditions this time. A heron or crane would be nice for the final stage of the bird, maybe ending up as Fighting/Flying or Ghost/Flying.
I think they should do a mole for the rodent. Do a cute version of their weird, ugly star nose. Maybe a bat for the first route flyer that becomes flying ghost or dark.
It's crazy I said this because I just got this image from a very trusted source depicting exactly those for the gen 8 route 1 pokemon. Going by these designs, I wonder if route 1 will be some sort of dark spooky forest in the next game? You know it's legit because there's rudimentary Japanese pointing out obvious things.
rnJLd9h.png

ThatPersonGuy

Dec 30, 2018
Seriously. After they first revealed Litten, I was so looking forward to a giant fire tiger. :(
Let the records show that Incineroar is such a stupid idea that its very existence deluded not one, but two different Nintendo fanbases into mass hysteria for months on end because the alternative of accepting their appearance in a game over literally any better alternative was too much to bear. I'll give props for Sakurai's execution but good lord, 5 bipedals in a row, and only one of those isn't a punchy brawler type. Well y'know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it until people start wanting to break your bones for rehashing it so much.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I like Incineroar so meh to everyone else. I also enjoyed the tears when he got into Smash as well. Incineroar fuels me for years and years basically.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Delphox is underrated, design-wise. I know bipedal final evos are overdone, but Delphox was nice

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually way into Incineroar too. I was hoping for a straightup fire tiger too, but I liked the actual design.

Primarina on the other hand just has too much shit going on. I like the design in concept, but they needed to take that 'look in the mirror and take off two accessories before you go out' advice
Delphox is underrated, design-wise. I know bipedal final evos are overdone, but Delphox was nice
Delphox needed a different posture or something. The design in the official art looks better because it's hunched over and looks kind of crafty.

The in game model is ramrod straight and just looks awkward.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Delphox needed a different posture or something. The design in the official art looks better because it's hunched over and looks kind of crafty.

so many pokemon suffer from this. I really hope they take the time to change many of the idle animations and poses. it's crazy how weak a lot of the posing is. flying pokemon got hit the hardest

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Let the records show that Incineroar is such a stupid idea that its very existence deluded not one, but two different Nintendo fanbases into mass hysteria for months on end because the alternative of accepting their appearance in a game over literally any better alternative was too much to bear. I'll give props for Sakurai's execution but good lord, 5 bipedals in a row, and only one of those isn't a punchy brawler type. Well y'know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it until people start wanting to break your bones for rehashing it so much.
Well the alternative was Decidueye which may have ended up too similar to Greninja, I'd say Incineroar was indeed well executed. I hate it but I've come to accept that part of my hate is that it evolved from Litten and removed from its context it's not that bad.
Delphox and its defenders should be burned at the stake. (Ok sorry a little far but c'mon)

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually way into Incineroar too. I was hoping for a straightup fire tiger too, but I liked the actual design.

Primarina on the other hand just has too much shit going on. I like the design in concept, but they needed to take that 'look in the mirror and take off two accessories before you go out' advice

Yeah posture's need to be fixed. That would save a lot of the Pokemon from looking stiff as hell. That's one thing I want Gamefreak to really work on.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Primarina and Incineroar are bad, Delphox is alright, but y'all have to agree that Chesnaught is the true final starter abomination by miles

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Primarina and Incineroar are bad, Delphox is alright, but y'all have to agree that Chesnaught is the true final starter abomination by miles
Chestnaught is close to nailing the concept, but when the shield isn't up, it's harder to see the inspiration.

I will say this about Gen 6, its starters were inspired. which makes them pretty damn memorable. I hope Pokemon 2019 has a thematic starter trio again

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously. After they first revealed Litten, I was so looking forward to a giant fire tiger. :(

I watched I choose you last night with my girlfriend and she asked why Charmeleon was fighting a man and not another Pokémon when he went against Incineroar

I was heart broken by that final stage, more so than any. I wanted the same thing.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018

I understand its an opinion, but in my case it wasnt bad. In fact, I pretty much like Incineroar and Primarina. Incineroar might not hit the fighting type thing, but its not bad. He got some nice moves and good stats distribution. Those two by far are ones I most like. If I had to choose though, I would say Gen 4 starters are my prefered while Gen 5 its the worst. Funny thing is that I love that gen and played 5 times already but still kinda dissapointed with the final evos. Even more that when you take account that people called this nothing but blind nostalgia lmao

Last edited:

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
Should Game Freak streamline evolution back to the basic Gen 1 - 3 mechanics? From Gen 4 onward, they invented new ways for Pokemon to evolve that feel weird and restrictive. I'd like to use Leafeon and Glaceon sometime in a casual playthrough, but there's no guarantee that you'll have access to the moss and ice rocks when you assemble your team together. I'd much rather use a stone or something to obtain those two. The same goes for other location specific evolutions like Magnezone. Just let me trade one over with a held item or something. Let's not forget about Malamar either. You have to turn your 3DS upside down while Inkay levels up to 30+ to get it. The Switch can totally do that in handheld mode, but this method isn't future proof and should probably just get removed. Simply leveling up to 30 would suffice.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

I'll agree that Chesnaught is a mess and forgettable to me. Atleast the other two (more so the middle stage for Delphox) gets talked about, Chesnaught? Nope.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Should Game Freak streamline evolution back to the basic Gen 1 - 3 mechanics? From Gen 4 onward, they invented new ways for Pokemon to evolve that feel weird and restrictive. I'd like to use Leafeon and Glaceon sometime in a casual playthrough, but there's no guarantee that you'll have access to the moss and ice rocks when you assemble your team together. I'd much rather use a stone or something to obtain those two. The same goes for other location specific evolutions like Magnezone. Just let me trade one over with a held item or something. Let's not forget about Malamar either. You have to turn your 3DS upside down while Inkay levels up to 30+ to get it. The Switch can totally do that in handheld mode, but this method isn't future proof and should probably just get removed. Simply leveling up to 30 would suffice.
They absolutely should, and I'd argue that every trade evolution should have an alternative method as well, but I'd be surprised if they actually went through with it.

Gen 7 added in an actual Ice Stone item (in addition to the pre-existing Leaf Stone), and yet Gamefreak STILL won't let you have Leafeon or Glaceon without finding the fucking rocks in the overworld. It's really dumb how insistent they are with making you jump through hoops just to evolve some Pokemon

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
In the S/M reveal they showed the starters, right? I hope they'll follow a theme alongside the region this time.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
They have an Ice Stone now for Alolan Ninetails' evolution. They need to retcon Leafeon and Glaceon into stone evolutions asap.

I would also love for them to get rid of all trade based evolutions. They never will, and the trade makes thematic sense for some evolutions like the knight and ninja bug swapping the shell, but it's often just a cumbersome pain in the ass to do if you want to play solo. At least give us some NPCs that we can trade and then trade back with or something, I don't know.
Not a chance. It wasn't what I was expecting from Chespin but I don't hate it. Plus that shiny.
latest
If this were the default color, everyone would like Chestnaught more. It's so much better than what they went with.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
If this were the default color, everyone would like Chestnaught more. It's so much better than what they went with.
Can confirm. As someone who has Chesnaught in the very bottom slot of his all-time starters list, yet has never seen this shiny coloration... I can say that this would have raised him like three or four spots. It does look pretty nice and it actively pains me that I'm saying a nice thing about Chesnaught.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a chance. It wasn't what I was expecting from Chespin but I don't hate it. Plus that shiny.
latest

As someone who has used Chesnaught, I personally found him to be...boring to use. He was too slow, had a terrible typing and didn't hit hard enough.

I don't think his colouring would save him.

They have an Ice Stone now for Alolan Ninetails' evolution. They need to retcon Leafeon and Glaceon into stone evolutions asap.

If they were going to retcon Leafeon and Glaceon evolution they would had done it once the Ice stone was introduced but they didn't.

Game Freak aren't going to retcon an evolution, they might add a new evolution method like in the case for Feebas in gen 5 but that's the most you're going to get other than Inkay in the future.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I would also love for them to get rid of all trade based evolutions. They never will, and the trade makes thematic sense for some evolutions like the knight and ninja bug swapping the shell, but it's often just a cumbersome pain in the ass to do if you want to play solo. At least give us some NPCs that we can trade and then trade back with or something, I don't know.

Chestnaught suffered a lot from the washed out color palette of the 3DS games. deeper tones would have helped a lot

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Chesnaught also looks boring as hell. I don't want my third stage starter to look like something that can't even move.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Chesnaught's limbs are too long, I think. Its arms just make me think of stretch armstrong. I'm not a fan of any of the recent final evolutions bar Greninja, they are all drawing too much from humans (Greninja still seems like a frog to me, especially with its pose in battle) and just end up looking weird, like it's really just a person wearing a costume. It's a shame because Rowlet and Litten are so good too, their designs are perfect.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
As someone who has used Chesnaught, I personally found him to be...boring to use. He was too slow, had a terrible typing and didn't hit hard enough.

I don't think his colouring would save him.

If anything what could save it was a typing change. But unfortunatelly his core problem lies in its design.

Tbh the concept of an Armored Shield Knight would be a lot better than...whatever this represents. I mean he could end up with Kings Shield and Sacred Sword if the concept allows it. Kinda funny that whenever I said Knight, someone comes saying "hey he has a shield".

Status
Not open for further replies.