• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
From what I hear yokai watch's map is a lot smaller than pokemon's but so far visually YW4 is what I hope Gen 8 will at least be somewhat in the same ball park as.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
From what I hear yokai watch's map is a lot smaller than pokemon's but so far visually YW4 is what I hope Gen 8 will at least be somewhat in the same ball park as.

While Town isn't on the level of YW4, I think it's close enough. Town I'd more medieval fantasy and spread out that YW, but the small details do the job well.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
While Town isn't on the level of YW4, I think it's close enough. Town I'd more medieval fantasy and spread out that YW, but the small details do the job well.
I think town has potential but I am a bit worried about how flat it looks but hopefully that's just because its a lower budget title. Art style aside I hope GF puts a bit more time into details on the objects they place in the world. This kind of feels like a weird critique and it probably is a remnant of Pkmn being grid based but a lot of the objects in the world feel extremely just feel extremely deliberate/static to me. The YW4 protagonist's room from the trailer looks pretty natural with the details of the slanted books and objects placed on the book shelf. Even how there seems to be a decent number of models for houses in the town and maybe it's the camera angle but the but the houses seem more grand and believable too. It wouldn't take away much if it didn't have stuff like this but it would help a bit with immersion for me at least.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think town has potential but I am a bit worried about how flat it looks but hopefully that's just because its a lower budget title. Art style aside I hope GF puts a bit more time into details on the objects they place in the world. This kind of feels like a weird critique and it probably is a remnant of Pkmn being grid based but a lot of the objects in the world feel extremely just feel extremely deliberate/static to me. The YW4 protagonist's room from the trailer looks pretty natural with the details of the slanted books and objects placed on the book shelf. Even how there seems to be a decent number of models for houses in the town and maybe it's the camera angle but the but the houses seem more grand and believable too. It wouldn't take away much if it didn't have stuff like this but it would help a bit with immersion for me at least.
Town is self published and digital only, so lower budget is a given. which makes Pokemon 2019 all the more interesting. Town was most likely born after Gen 8 started development, so I think what we see there will be an offshoot of what was developed for Gen 8, which will have a significantly larger budget

Smartlord

Oct 27, 2017
We are pretty sure they'll be using the same models the last few games have either way, but do you guys think they should stick with LGPE's newer aesthetic or return to the cel shaded look of the 3DS games?

I personally prefer the cel shading, but that's just me.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
We are pretty sure they'll be using the same models the last few games have either way, but do you guys think they should stick with LGPE's newer aesthetic or return to the cel shaded look of the 3DS games?

I think they'll use cel shading for the main games because it's much closer to the artwork of Sugimori. It's basically the ultimate look, only needs to be adjusted

Jan 16, 2019
This is my realistic DREAM/HOPE for Gen 8 (or future perfect Pokemon game)

THE DIFFICULT
There will be 3 choices of difficulty:
- New Trainer: The difficult will be as easy as Let's Go, introduce the game to young and new player.
- Gym Leader: The difficult will be like the first couple of Gen like 1-2, this is a normal standard for long time Pokemon fans.
- Elite Four: This one is for the hard-core competitive fans. The level of Gym Leader, Elite Four, and Champion's Pokemon will be as high as the trainer, all of them have 6 Pokemon and better AI.

THE CHARACTER CUSTOMIZE
More basic customize option, not just skin and hair but eye also for the example. More color to chose from, not just black, brown, blonde, white, etc. but various color like red, blue, green, pink, etc.
Did I need to choose the age? Nope, the idea has been and will always be "you're the 10 years old kid who got a Pokemon for the first time", so the age option is unnecessary.
And various body type if possible.

THE WORLD/MAP
Open-air like Zelda? No.
Open-world like RDR, Assassin Creed? Maybe.
But open-level like Xenoblade 2? Totally.
The maps will be limited when you not doing the main quest, but you can run freely and explore, a dynamic camera and no more top-down perspective, not even like SM or USUM.
Pokemon roaming in the wild like Let's Go is back with random high-level Pokemon, and of course, when you look at them, you can see its level.

THE GAMEPLAY/FEATURE
Real-time battle? No.
Keep the old turn-based? Definitely yes.
But no more switch/fade scene when encountering a battle, you see the trainer or the Pokemon then you battle right there.

Riding Pokemon and Pokemon following is totally need to be back, and this time, almost all of them can do that.
  • Land (Riding): Almost all of them if it big enough (3x the size of the MC), except clearly water-based Pokemon like Wailmer, Wailord, etc. You can't expect to ride fish on land.
  • Sea/Lake (swimming): All of them, I repeat, ALL of them, if it big, you ride on its back, if it small, it will drag you on a surfboard.
  • Air (flying): Most of them if it big enough to ride on.

A type-exclusive battle just like Sky Battle in XY:
  • Only Flying-type or Levitate ability Pokemon can battle in the air.
  • Only Water-type, Ice-type, Flying-type, and Levitate ability can battle "on" the water.
  • If "DIVING" is back, only "Water-type" is eligible to battle under the water.

No more useless HM or Secret Technique, why would a Flying-type Pokemon need an HM Fly to know how to fly, or a Water-type Pokemon need HM Surf to know how to swim? Any Pokemon can do that if it makes sense, BUT, limited the option and let the player unlock it by using GEAR, which you can either buy or processing the main quest (GameFreak can choose what they think is suitable).

THE STORY/CONTENT
Are the friendly rival's boring and asshole rival's good or vice versa? The answer is no if you have a good story. The story needs to be more "dramatic", don't just stop at "stopping the bad guys", and more sidequest, more post-game content.

Expect:
Anything, I'm at the point where I stop critizing and start to appreciate what I get lol

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think we'll see a non-cellshaded game. I kinda think they went with toon shading due to them not making a rather indepth material shading system (probably due to how their engine runs on the 3DS).

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Considering Town is already pretty close to that with a fraction of the budget and people working on it?
Prepare to eat crow
Seriously. Even if the maps are in the same ballpark of Gen 7s, which I found a tad too small for my likings, an entire Pokemon game in the vein of Town is gonna be more than satisfying for me. HD Towns are hard meme is 12 years old, but I feel like Gamefreak is gonns crack their knuckles and show everyone some work in this department.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Town doesn't look anywhere close visually to Yokai Watch 4, and Yokai Watch 4 isn't amazingly impressive anyway.

That said, I never really expected Town to be that much of a preview.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Random eShop only game doesn't quite look as good as newest main entry in established and successful franchise
News at 11

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
This is random but it is smth my brain just came up with randomly.

It's just.... An idea. I have no information or even heard rumors whatsoever, I was just thinking... They dir Mega Evolutions Gen 6 and Z moves in gen 7, what batshit crazy stuff can they come up with in gen 8? And honestly I don't think it's all that crazy to think they could go the Digimon route and just introduce Pokemon fusions...

I just thought of that idea and now I can't get rid of the thought so I needed to share it somewhere. Not even sure I would want that to happen but after Z moves, nothing can surprise me no more.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I think they'll just do Mega Evolutions again under a different name and with some mechanical tweak. It's clear they're very fond of super forms nowadays. I guess Fusions could basically fall there though, since it'd be a way to make one new design that's actually a super form for two Pokemon at once, but balancing that would be very hard.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I think they'll just do Mega Evolutions again under a different name and with some mechanical tweak. It's clear they're very fond of super forms nowadays.
Ultra Necrozma is honestly what Z-Moges should be, or the next step. Mega Evolutions retconned into Z-Moves, Ultra Evolutions for Pokemon who have an existing Z-Crystal, and so on so forth. So a Charizardium XZ or YZ would give you Mega Charizard X or Y, and so on so forth. Decidium Z would give you Ultra Decidueye and so on so forth. Gen 8s Gimmick should be Perfect Abilities, either powered up versions of existing abilities, or unique exclusive Pokemon abilities based on their default and hidden abilities.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I'd like the focus of this generation to be the region and making its exploration interesting and different, not some new battle shtick. The battle side of things is ok as is (in terms of adding new mechanics to it, balance might be a different story idk), it doesn't need another layer of bloat that they will just stop caring about in the generation after.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I think Gen 8 will introduce Tag Team moves like the TGC. Maybe paired with a Pokemon pairing/affinity mechanic to get access to them.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Tag team moves, you mean kinda like what they tried to introduce in Gen V with Grass/Fire/Water Pledge and then never expanded on? Are those combo effects even still around? They were basically the original terrains.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon Powers were eventually renamed Abilities, while I think Slamtastic is positioning Delta Species as a predecessor to Alolan/Regional variants.
Yeah, these.

Of course, Alolan forms have the edge for actually redesigning the monsters in accordance with the type changes, but we won't ever know if the TCG would have even been allowed to try doing it with their version or been vetoed.

But the point is the TCG had stuff that the games later happened to also have (even if executed differently).

Just like how the anime had a tropical island chain with Pokémon whose appearances have changed from adapting to the environment and a league of challenges instead of gym battles.

2a74900b759fee15b34e84deb783334863a92ebb_hq.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

People sometimes give GF perhaps too much credit. Not that any mainline title, no matter how disappointing to me personally, is outright "bad" from a non-functional perspective, but sometimes people can get really defensive when you point out that Pokémon got so popular and persisted beyond a fad off the strength of Creatures' design skills and the series' premise/high concept, which translates into a multitude of cross media products of differing format and genres, not specifically because of the minutiae of design decisions, tropes and mechanics held over for 20 years in GF's formula specifically.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think we'll see a non-cellshaded game. I kinda think they went with toon shading due to them not making a rather indepth material shading system (probably due to how their engine runs on the 3DS).
Na, I think they're going to go full hog on the artwork style shading, just not as washed out
People sometimes give GF perhaps too much credit. Not that any mainline title, no matter how disappointing to me personally, is outright "bad" from a non-functional perspective, but sometimes people can get really defensive when you point out that Pokémon got so popular and persisted beyond a fad off the strength of Creatures' design skills and the series' premise/high concept, which translates into a multitude of cross media products of differing format and genres, not specifically because of the minutiae of design decisions, tropes and mechanics held over for 20 years in GF's formula specifically.
No, the games still sell amazingly well because people enjoy them and think the stuff they're doing is good, not because it's cross media else Yo-kai Watch wouldn't be doing so meh now.

It's disingenuous to dismiss Game Freak's work

Plus, it's not just Game Freak, it's The Pokémon Company coming up with ideas and concepts and seeing how they translate over

Also, Delta Species and Alolan Forms have nothing in common

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Hmmmmmmm. Could be nothing could be something. Paul Ryan caught several Banpresto product listings for May being taken down. Now my take of this is that:
It could be something because a reveal is soon and the listings were for Pokemon which will be in the reveal trailer.
OR
Detrctive Pikachu is getting a second trailer today, Ryan Renolds instagram story confirmed this, and the Pokemon in there are the figures they have planned for may.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Detective Pikachu, Mewtwo Strikes Back Evo, and the Alola League buildup presents a lot of opportunities for merch, so trying to divine Gen 8 through merch will be harder. don't think there's been so much media in one year before

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Detective Pikachu, Mewtwo Strikes Back Evo, and the Alola League buildup presents a lot of opportunities for merch, so trying to divine Gen 8 through merch will be harder. don't think there's been so much media in one year before
Correct.

Unless it ties in with Detective Pikachu and Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution, most Gen 8 merchandise won't release until the end of the year and be announced until a month or two before it

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Indeed. Years like these usually just have Gen 8, the League and a movie, but now there are two movies and the rest. Thankfully there isn't a spin off on top of it alk to really get things confusing.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Still hopeful we'll get a Gen 8 tease from the League, if the reveal happens in two months of something like that.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Indeed. Years like these usually just have Gen 8, the League and a movie, but now there are two movies and the rest. Thankfully there isn't a spin off on top of it alk to really get things confusing.
There still might be a spin off this year, it's been a while since the last completely new one besides Quest which is also on mobile and made by GameFreak

Kinglypuff

Nov 13, 2018
I feel like Gen 8 will probably be one of the "safer" entries, modernizing the series but not taking any real risks, but that Gen 9 will be a lot more daring as it usually the case whenever a new Gen comes out on an "old" platform (the soft reboot + story focused gen 5, the change in structure and more ambitious graphics of gen 7 compared to gen 6...).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, you're right. What was the last time they did it, some movie?
aye. Magearna was a Gen 7 pokemon (despite how Gen 6 it is in concept) that debuted in a Gen 6 movie
I feel like Gen 8 will probably be one of the "safer" entries, modernizing the series but not taking any real risks, but that Gen 9 will be a lot more daring as it usually the case whenever a new Gen comes out on an "old" platform (the soft reboot + story focused gen 5, the change in structure and more ambitious graphics of gen 7 compared to gen 6...).
a safer entry might not be a good idea. expectations are higher now

but Let's Go did well despite its self-imposed limitations, so...

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I wonder of the detective pikachu movie will show off a new pokemon. In my opinion I feel like it'd be a missed opportunity to not do so. It'd be a creative way of revealing one that takes advantage of community interaction much like Meltan's reveal

I'm still kinda hazy about M22 showing off something new because they seem to be pushing it as a 1:1 remake, but in CG now. I'd like to think something new will be showcased as is the case with pokemon movies usually

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
a safer entry might not be a good idea. expectations are higher now

but Let's Go did well despite its self-imposed limitations, so...

Everytime I read safer, I aways think something like XY.

You know, "first entry on the plataform so thats why is this way" and nothing else. I agree with you, if anything they should be looking for higher grounds. Not just because of the demand, but if not they gonna look like slowpokes in 2019.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Let's Go already covered the safe entry I believe. It breaks the mold in so many different ways for the series despite being the safest game out there, that Gen 8 is likely gonna surprise a lot of people. Going into the games right now we are looking at Gen like DP or XY, when we should be looking at Pt or SM, shit maybe even Gen 5.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever they ship out will do well.
that's what feeds a lot of people's fear of complacent. while the ceilings were lower with the 3DS and DS, folks think they could have done more with them. I'm more forgiving on the DS, and kinda so on the 3DS. but with the switch, I do think the public may sway against GF if they attempt to pull another Let's Go (whether it's Gen 8 or Let's Go 2). this is just and assumption on my part, but I believe games like Let's Go have a "first game bias" in a way. in a way, it could potentially parallel Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles, which did very well, and was followed up by Darkside Chronicles, which tanked. of course, Pokemon isn't RE, and it's only one example.

essentially, I don't think the wider audience are as stupid as we think they are, and they have their expectations.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Speaking of Magerna, I think Gen 6 was intended to do the whole New Exclusive Pokemon mid gen thing USUM did, but whatever that game was was shelved for Gen 7. It and Zygarde have the painterly style of Gen 6 Pokemon Artwork compared to the more flat and vibrant style of Gen 7.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Speaking of Magerna, I think Gen 6 was intended to do the whole New Exclusive Pokemon mid gen thing USUM did, but whatever that game was was shelved for Gen 7. It and Zygarde have the painterly style of Gen 6 Pokemon Artwork compared to the more flat and vibrant style of Gen 7.

Magearna and Perfect Zygarde were clearly intended for Pokemon Z.
Magearna's whole design is very french, with the whole clockwork theme transformed into a Marie-Antoinette dress.

Status
Not open for further replies.