• The ResetEra Games of the Year Awards 2018 results are now live! Congratulations to all the winners!
  • Sidebar and Width settings will now no longer reset after 4 hours of inactivity! We have implemented a new system that will remember these preferences on each browser, for both members and guests. This allows you to choose different settings on different devices if you so desire.

Pokemon Gen 8 Discussion Thread of Hopes, Speculation, Expectations, Dreams, Rumors, and More

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling it's going to be doomed to purgatory just like Eternal Flower Floette.
at least Eternal Floette was in the game code. was OG Color Magearna even in the game?

Floette will probably be a mystery gift for Gen 8. it'll be so far removed from Gen 6 and without a story (because they don't do that anymore), no one's gonna give a shit

Apr 26, 2018
Floette will probably be a mystery gift for Gen 8. it'll be so far removed from Gen 6 and without a story (because they don't do that anymore), no one's gonna give a shit
I have no reason to believe they would distribute Floalette. I mean, what was the reason for they to not distribute it in gen 7? My guess is "lets make people forget about this pokemon so we can forget this was even a thing".

Oct 28, 2017
I get a feeling that the expectations will be higher for Gen 8. We are at same console that has BotW, Odyssey and Xenoblade 2, there's no 'oh, it's a weaker console' this time.
Btw, how Let's Go is selling these days?

Oct 25, 2017
Going with past patterns, the inital plan probably was :

2013 : X/Y
2014 : Omega Ruby / Alpha Saphire
2015 : Pokemon Z
2017 : Sun/Moon

The Switch was probably the reason why they scrapped Z. 2017 would have been too late for S/M.

Oct 25, 2017

The Switch was probably the reason why they scrapped Z. 2017 would have been too late for S/M.
I think Sun and Moon was always planned for the anniversary.

We haven't had a four year generation since the fourth, and nothing about the run-up to Sun and Moon suggests they cut anything down by a year.

at least Eternal Floette was in the game code. was OG Color Magearna even in the game?

yeah, OG Magearna's in the game too. I really like that color scheme too, bit annoyed that we probably won't be getting it.

Oct 25, 2017
I have no reason to believe they would distribute Floalette. I mean, what was the reason for they to not distribute it in gen 7? My guess is "lets make people forget about this pokemon so we can forget this was even a thing".
it's still in the game's code, so they haven't actually abandoned it yet. if they wanted to forget it's a thing, it would have been removed instead of made vestigal

Apr 26, 2018
it's still in the game's code, so they haven't actually abandoned it yet. if they wanted to forget it's a thing, it would have been removed instead of made vestigal
Of course its there. What I said is that they have as much reason to distribute it there as they had distributing in later games since XY.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The thing is, they not only still have it in the game code, they gave it its own unique image and Pokédex entry into USUM which they didn't need to do

Oct 25, 2017

We haven't had a four year generation since the fourth, and nothing about the run-up to Sun and Moon suggests they cut anything down by a year.
Eternal Floette and all the Zygarde stuff screams scrapped game to me.

Oct 31, 2017
Greece

The whole Zygarde Anime arc when it was obviously meant to be for the next movie instead suggests that they nipped the bud early enough to not disrupt anything.

Really? It screams Kalos for me
Again, this artwork is distinctly Gen 6, not Gen 7. They never had two different aesthetics for the art of the Pokemon, and its clear something else was planned.

I think Z was meant for 2016 not 2015. And 2017 was not too late for Gen 7, 2020 will be the first official season for the Switch, 3 years after the platform launched.

Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps Eternal Floette was planned for Pokemon Z, but as those plans changed, it’s a concept they don’t want to scap and are saving it for 6th gen remakes. ;)