• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I'm trying to think of some click-baity hidden meaning in the tweet being Weedle, but I got nothing. Bug and Poison legendaries? 5 eeveelutions to bring the total number up to 13 (weedles dex number)? Just a weedle bit more time before an announcement?

We've found our route 1 normal type.
I still think the Water Vole would make the most sense as the Route 1 Normal Type

Water-vole,-Strumpshaw-Fen,-Nick-Appleton,-14-August-2017.jpg.aspx

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess. SuMo was really linear compared to some other games in the series so it's definitely not hard to be better in that. But to have a BOTW moment in game world design, the new one should be compared to those older games.
playing LG Pikachu right now, I feel the whole "openness" is vastly overblown. the 5 gyms after Misty are open, but only after you do a series of things (pokemon tower > celedon game corner > silph co) that constitute a decent chunk of the game. and the game never accounts for the openness so either the gyms are on par with your pokemon, total pushovers, or grind central.

0.33 m

33 Pokemon is nidorino the prince Pokemon
where are people getting "prince" from. is that the japanese title?

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
playing LG Pikachu right now, I feel the whole "openness" is vastly overblown. the 5 gyms after Misty are open, but only after you do a series of things (pokemon tower > celedon game corner > silph co) that constitute a decent chunk of the game. and the game never accounts for the openness so either the gyms are on par with your pokemon, total pushovers, or grind central.

where are people getting "prince" from. is that the japanese title?
Nidorino (Prince) -> Nidoking

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
is there any specific reason that makes a pokemon day announcement more likely than any other day in feb? I mainly say this because it seems like the main reason we got S/M announced on the anniversary in 2016 was because it was the 20th anniversary. 23rd isn't as special is it?

Or is because they've officially dubbed it "pokemon day" which means that they still acknowledge it as a special day for the franchise?

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
is there any specific reason that makes a pokemon day announcement more likely than any other day in feb? I mainly say this because it seems like the main reason we got S/M announced on the anniversary in 2016 was because it was the 20th anniversary. 23rd isn't as special is it?

Or is because they've officially dubbed it "pokemon day" which means that they still acknowledge it as a special day for the franchise?
There's a Treehouse Q&A on Pokémon Day this year

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Rumored UK region
Insiders referred to it as "BOTW moment for Pokémon"
Back in 2017 they said it would be even more story focused, and that they understand the expectations are high for the first home console title, but they confirmed it would not be open world
Might be on the same engine as Town, which might be Unity (speculation)
They said it won't be focused on being an entry point for the series and it will be more for old fans

This sounds awesome. I like the emphasis on a story, I got "Pokemon Let's Go Eeve" as my first Switch game last holiday and I'm bored as heck playing it. I guess I really wanted it for nostalgic reasons but I'm finding the game just boring. I know the series has evolved tremendously since red and blue, plus the fact that the original is so light on story and I already played it beat it several times back in the day hasnt helped my bordeom.

This stuff if it holds true sounds awesome. I wish there was a bit more meta stuff though and that attributes really mattered. Again I haven't played the recent ones so maybe they do that which should aid in making the combat more interesting, it feels too simplistic and boring in "Let's Go."

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This stuff if it holds true sounds awesome. I wish there was a bit more meta stuff though and that attributes really mattered. Again I haven't played the recent ones so maybe they do that which should aid in making the combat more interesting, it feels too simplistic and boring in "Let's Go."
let's go isn't the template going forward. they already confirmed Gen 8 is next in the competitive series

Nidorino (Prince) -> Nidoking
I...guess?

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Rumored UK region
Back in 2017 they said it would be even more story focused, and that they understand the expectations are high for the first home console title, but they confirmed it would not be open world
They said it won't be focused on being an entry point for the series and it will be more for old fans

UK region sounds quite boring in terms of monster and landscape design, but the towns and character design should compensate for that. Story would also probably have some royal & noble themes attached to it.

I don't trust Gamefreak to create a good story though, especially after some of the complaints I read for Sun & Moon.

soares

May 7, 2018
Man I love the moment when everyone is anticipating a reveal. The moments before LGPE reveal led us all to insanity, but I loved browsing the threads to check on new rumours and overall discussion.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
UK region sounds quite boring in terms of monster and landscape design, but the towns and character design should compensate for that. Story would also probably have some royal & noble themes attached to it.

I don't trust Gamefreak to create a good story though, especially after some of the complaints I read for Sun & Moon.
It should be noted that not all the Monster Designs will be inspired in the UK, that definetly wasn't the case for Sun/Moon. But i do think some of them will be inspired by the UK if it ends up happening

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Yeah, people get too hung up on the region-specific inspirations and designs when speculating.
I still think there are a lot of cool British Locations that could be used well in a Pokemon Game.Mr Buddy pointed that out in his video:

My Hope is we get a Northern Town that is inspired by Steampunk. Also i really like the Male/Female MC designs in this video

I do expect some British Lore and Legend to be represented in the UK Reigon if it does happen though

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
-Third person camera, no longer top-down.
-A different capture mechanic than the one we've used since 1998 as it's no longer challenging.
-Online hub world where you can hang out with friends.
-More elaborate character customization.
-Regional variants to return (think Alolan).
-An option to make a Pokemon Mega all the time without transformation.
-IVs abolished.
-Nature abolished or reworked as I feel it as unnecessary as IVs.
-EVs turned into a slider where you can customize your pokemon's stats on the fly.
-cel shaded graphics to return.

These are my wishes.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
-Third person camera, no longer top-down.
-A different capture mechanic than the one we've used since 1998 as it's no longer challenging.
-Online hub world where you can hang out with friends.
-More elaborate character customization.
-Regional variants to return (think Alolan).
-An option to make a Pokemon Mega all the time without transformation.
-IVs abolished.
-Nature abolished or reworked as I feel it as unnecessary as IVs.
-EVs turned into a slider where you can customize your pokemon's stats on the fly.
-cel shaded graphics to return.

These are my wishes.
I like Natures because as opposed to IVs where you just want them to all be perfect, they actually make Pokémon adapt to different strategies.
They should implement some kind of way to change them though, or change what stats they affect while keeping the same nature so that it doesn't feel like you're doing something crazy to a Pokémon to make it change its personality. They would basically only determine the stats affected initially.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Wishlist:
- Freely controlled camera
- Overworld Pokemon
- PokeFollow returns
- Pokemon Amie returns
- Natures, EVs, Abilities, Breeding, etc. return
- At least 80 new Pokemon
- New regional variants
- New megas
- Traditional capture system returns
- Evolution of the Sun/Moon art style, please don't use the LGPE style
- Super Training/Hyper Training to return and be even more convenient
- Expansive routes and cities/towns
- Extensive post-game with battle facilities, story, etc.
- No more Gen 1 pandering. They just got Let's Go, please...

Expectations:
- 40 new Pokemon because HD development is tough!
- Standard camera placement
- Towns, cities, and routes even smaller because they were hard to navigate!
- RotomDex returns as the only voiced character
- Giant flag in the overworld where you need to go
- Motion controls mandatory
- Partner Pokemon can't be harmed
- All 151 original Pokemon show up with 50%+ appearance rates
- Random encounters
- No post-game at all

If I expect the worst, surely I'll be happy with the final product...

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Wishlist:
- Overworld Pokemon
- PokeFollow returns
- Pokemon Amie returns
- New regional variants
- New megas

Expectations:
- 40 new Pokemon because HD development is tough!
- Standard camera placement
- Towns, cities, and routes even smaller because they were hard to navigate!
- RotomDex returns as the only voiced character
- Giant flag in the overworld where you need to go
- Motion controls mandatory
- Partner Pokemon can't be harmed
- All 151 original Pokemon show up with 50%+ appearance rates
- Random encounters
- No post-game at all

If I expect the worst, surely I'll be happy with the final product...
I think your wishlist is pretty realistic. Besides unknown points like super training and megas, I feel pretty confident most of what you wrote will happen.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
King and Queen are odd titles, but if you assume that the region is UK-influenced and think about what things about Stereotypical England a bunch of Japanese people would be familiar with, it would absolutely be the monarchy. You'll almost certainly get to meet them, and there will probably be a castle or two.

I'm still not sold on those titles — it's a little bit too close to "Boy" and "Girl" versions; I can see a lot of parents refusing to buy their son "Pokémon Queen" because parents are weird like that — but I'm a little less dismissive of those than I once was.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

My dream is that we'll see 90 new Pokémon in Gen VIII, bring the total to 899. Then each future generation could add 100 Pokémon: Gen IX would add Pokémon 900-999, Gen X would add Pokémon 1000-1099, and so forth. It would be so neat and tidy!

As the number of Pokémon approaches 1000 (!), it would be really nice if you could look at each species' National Pokédex number and instantly know which generation it's from.

Oct 26, 2017
Rumored UK region

Feels way too contradictory to expect a true BOTW moment, primarily the story focus + not being open world. I reckon it's going to feel stale exploring cities (especially with the paradigm shift of exploration being significantly less important ever since Gen V). Idk what these insiders are referring to when they say BOTW moment.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Wishlists? Okay, mine are:
-Seasons
-Minimap Poketch style device, had various other features as well.
-A meaty sidequest. Potentially with the Pokemon overworle models since they exist.
-Gyms AND trials. Trials are optional training opportunities, while the gyms are now more focused on strategies and movesets instead of a specific type.
-A more involved and story important evolving box legendary. Cosmog and Cosmoem were downright unnecessary.
-Medals. Kept them for 1 gen and threw em out, why Gamefreak?
-Branching Routes. No optional gyms or somethjng like that, just different paths that you can choose which intertwine through a dungeon or some kind of traversal gimmick

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Feels way too contradictory to expect a true BOTW moment, primarily the story focus + not being open world. I reckon it's going to feel stale exploring cities (especially with the paradigm shift of exploration being significantly less important ever since Gen V). Idk what these insiders are referring to when they say BOTW moment.
It just means big/exciting evolution, probably. Not literally what BOTW does. For example, a game similar to Dragon Quest 11 would be enough for a "BOTW moment" for Pokémon

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the region is based on the UK then I hope that Scotland is done well and is the best part of the game.

Sun and Moon story is decent, it's Ultra Sun and Moon story that's bad as it butchers Sun and Moon story while bolting Necrozma on top of it.

Still though, Gen 4 and 5 were the peak in terms of story and lore.

Yeah, people get too hung up on the region-specific inspirations and designs when speculating.

Agreed, the Kalos legendary are based on Norse mythology but the region itself is based on France. Which frustrates me as they are wasted in that game. ¬_¬;

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
having battles start in a second or two instead of 14 is the most important wishlist item. Speed everything up without having to completely turn off animations.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
If we are posting wishlists, then here is mine:

-Gyms and Totem Pokémon return
-IVs gone
-100 new pokémon
-20 new megas
-20 new regional forms
-at least 5 new Z-Moves (since they dont seem to be feeling Z-Moves as they did with megas)
-bigger and more open routes
-Following pokémon returns
-At least 2 or 3 post game towns
-Return of Battle Factory along with the standard Battle Tower clone
-Returning characters from a game that isn't Gen 1
-Return of PSS
-Return of Festival Plaza/Join Avenue like facility (but not being required to go online :P)
-Return of Seasons
-Probably my biggest want. Return of Challenge and Easy mode, with both being unlocked from the start.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Wishlist:
- Overworld Pokemon
- PokeFollow returns
- Pokemon Amie returns

Agree with all of these. A 3rd person perspective with a freely rotating camera is my number one wish.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
I mean it would have been a tease if the reveal was on May 29th or May 22nd.

It was on May 30th :p
YouTube video shows 29th though

Edit: Anyway I don't know why people are expecting something because of the 5 days of Q&A. I hope for an announcement, just don't go crazy like the Nintendo Direct

Last edited:

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
YouTube video shows 29th though

Edit: Anyway I don't know why people are expecting something because of the 5 days of Q&A. I hope for an announcement, just don't go crazy like the Nintendo Direct
I'm just hoping for something before May. Any news before then, even just a reconfirmation of a 2019 release, will have me pretty happy.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
probably a more open game that will set the template going forward
While opening up was very important to BotW itself, I don't think it's necessarily important to having a "BotW moment" in general. I think it has more to do with modernizing the series by taking inspiration from the series' roots.

So basically, more or less the opposite of what Let's Go did.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While opening up was very important to BotW itself, I don't think it's necessarily important to having a "BotW moment" in general. I think it has more to do with modernizing the series by taking inspiration from the series' roots.

So basically, more or less the opposite of what Let's Go did.
the biggest problem with "looking to the past" is that Pokemon's is rather barebones. the concepts people ask for from the original games aren't even done well, so to say they can be inspired by it kinda rings hollow

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
the biggest problem with "looking to the past" is that Pokemon's is rather barebones. the concepts people ask for from the original games aren't even done well, so to say they can be inspired by it kinda rings hollow
Yeah, personally I think modern Pokémon has a lot more to learn from the DS entries than going all the way back to Gen 1. That's the last time I felt the series had some real ambition behind it.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not the only one to think that King Zell just used Breath of the Wild as shorthand for "Nintendo employees are really impressed", am I? Can't remember the exact context of the wuote beyond it being the "next step" for the series though.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Yeah, personally I think modern Pokémon has a lot more to learn from the DS entries than going all the way back to Gen 1. That's the last time I felt the series had some real ambition behind it.
Passion is what's missing I feel, not ambition. I'd argue that Pokemon even more so than Mario is starting to conform to an internal set of rules and guidelines that constrict the games. Gens 6 and 7 had some cool things, but fueled by merchandising. This much is obvious when reading something like the HGSS Iwata Asks, compare Morimoto's expression of the games compared to say Ohmori's in recent interviews.
I'm not the only one to think that King Zell just used Breath of the Wild as shorthand for "Nintendo employees are really impressed", am I? Can't remember the exact context of the wuote beyond it being the "next step" for the series though.
This is what I'm feeling as well. Breath of the Wild tier in the sense that Gamefreak made something special, while on the same wavelength as previous pokemon games.

Feb 24, 2018
If we are posting wishlists, then here is mine:

-Gyms and Totem Pokémon return
-IVs gone
-100 new pokémon
-20 new megas
-20 new regional forms
-at least 5 new Z-Moves (since they dont seem to be feeling Z-Moves as they did with megas)
-bigger and more open routes
-Following pokémon returns
-At least 2 or 3 post game towns
-Return of Battle Factory along with the standard Battle Tower clone
-Returning characters from a game that isn't Gen 1
-Return of PSS
-Return of Festival Plaza/Join Avenue like facility (but not being required to go online :P)
-Return of Seasons
-Probably my biggest want. Return of Challenge and Easy mode, with both being unlocked from the start.
I know many will disagree with you, but I agree with IV's going away, always had an odd Eugenics feel to it IV training and Hyper training failed to really make it more accessible where Super Training succeeded with EVs and make it possible for people to use their own Pokemon. Plus without it, I think you could then really expand on the idea of the Pokemon's nature like their personality being shown on refresh.

Status
Not open for further replies.