• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
What people? Are writers from games publications going? If so, it'd basically be a lock.

I just don't think we'll see anything for a little while; there's always chatter and insider teasing whenever there's an announcement close by and it just seems like radio silence right now
I think what they're referring to is that people from Treehouse work in Washington, and the event is happening in New York. I'm not sure who all is supposed to be there though.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do they usually do 5 hours of Treehouse Q&A at fluff events?
Over the course of a week? Maybe.
"Huge reach". Its not a huge reach whatsoever. They are flying people across the globe for this. It could very well be an info blowout.
Flying people from Washington to New York for a week-long celebratory event is not the same thing was flying people across the globe for a singular reveal.

It might be an information blowout if you want to know Nate's favourite Pokémon, I suppose.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Over the course of a week? Maybe.

Flying people from Washington to New York for a week-long celebratory event is not the same thing was flying people across the globe for a singular reveal.

It might be an information blowout if you want to know Nate's favourite Pokémon, I suppose.
I was just going off what serebii said a while back

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah don't expect the Nintendo NYC thing to be a big reveal.

Now, before that?
Both Magearna and Sun and Moon were revealed the same month from what I read. But I guess the initial Sun/Moon reveal wasn't really a full reveal, just the titles.
Correct. Magearna was officially revealed February 15th. Pokémon Sun & Moon was revealed February 26th UTC (February 27th in Japan)
do what are the odds of pokemon day reveal for gen 8?
Higher than any other day

Is Meltan from gen 8?
No. Meltan is a Generation 7 Pokémon.

It is available in a main series Pokémon game released between the start of Generation 7 and the start of Generation 8.

Its internal asset ID number is between 800 and 900 (891 and 892 for Meltan and Melmetal). Since the inception of 3D models, each generation has shifted the asset ID numbers up to the next hundred. All Gen 6 Pokémon have asset numbers between 701 (Furfrou) and 772 (Hoopa), with a few gaps in between. Then, Gen 7 pushed it up and started at 801 (Mareanie) and runs to 892 (Melmetal). Previously it ran to 883 (Marshadow) and then 888 (Zeraora), again with some gaps in between. This was first discovered in Pokémon GO for Meltan/Melmetal when the sprite had 891 which caused people and certain YouTubers who lack knowledge, to assume it was Gen 8 and #891 in the National Pokédex. However, GO uses the same asset structure for the main games, as evidence by how they do forms, and when Let's Go was released it showed them as being 891 and 892, further confirming GO uses the same asset structure.

So yeah, all evidence points to them being Gen 7. No evidence points to them being Gen 8.

If you want, we can call it Gen 7.66 after Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon and Zeraora being Gen 7.33, if we want to be utterly pedantic :P

Last edited:

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
What concerns me about next gen (and future ones) is that "gimmick" system they've been using since XY.
XY added megas, which where super cool, but we didn't get new ones the following gen, where they introduced Z moves.

Both "gimmicks" seemed to be aimed at the more competitive/metagame side of the game, so more casual players didn't get to enjoy those features to their full potential. The problem is, if we are getting a new feature each gen, that gets kind of dropped the next one but can still be used online, we'll end up with a mess of a metagame, with megas, z moves, and new stuff. I think they should focus on megas and z moves, making new megas, but stop adding new systems while dropping those 2.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

It is available in a main series Pokémon game released between the start of Generation 7 and the start of Generation 8.

Its internal asset ID number is between 800 and 900 (891 and 892 for Meltan and Melmetal). Since the inception of 3D models, each generation has shifted the asset ID numbers up to the next hundred. All Gen 6 Pokémon have asset numbers between 701 (Furfrou) and 772 (Hoopa), with a few gaps in between. Then, Gen 7 pushed it up and started at 801 (Mareanie) and runs to 892 (Melmetal). Previously it ran to 883 (Marshadow) and then 888 (Zeraora), again with some gaps in between. This was first discovered in Pokémon GO for Meltan/Melmetal when the sprite had 891 which caused people and certain YouTubers who lack knowledge, to assume it was Gen 8 and #891 in the National Pokédex. However, GO uses the same asset structure for the main games, as evidence by how they do forms, and when Let's Go was released it showed them as being 891 and 892, further confirming GO uses the same asset structure.

So yeah, all evidence points to them being Gen 7. No evidence points to them being Gen 8.

If you want, we can call it Gen 7.66 after Poipole, Naganadel, Stakataka, Blacephalon and Zeraora being Gen 7.33, if we want to be utterly pedantic :P
I think the fact that I even have to entertain the idea that Meltan is a Gen 7 Pokémon to be an incredibly strong indictment of the entire idea of adding Pokémon mid-gen. I was already kind of irked at Game Freak for doing that in USUM, but trying to also do so in the genwunner game that deleted most of the Pokémon (notably including all the Gen 7 Pokémon) was a step too far.

Oct 27, 2017
They should, but we all know they won't. Game Freak has implied in interviews they like to do different things each gen.

Yeah, those mechanics will 100% stay half baked, which I knew would be the case when they were first detailed. They came off as incredibly shallow compared to the mechanical/battle changes of the past gens. They need to stop focusing on Pokemon/type specific mechanics and go back to things that affect all Pokemon. Those add the most depth

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I do believe regional variants will return, they're such a brilliant fit for the universe and helps the designers minimize the amount of new Pokemon while keeping things fresh and act more than just a recolour.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I think just gen 7.0 is fine haha

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I do believe regional variants will return, they're such a brilliant fit for the universe and helps the designers minimize the amount of new Pokemon while keeping things fresh and act more than just a recolour.
Alolan forms were introduced to bring more type variety to the Let's Go games so they could do a Gen 1 only mainline game, I very much doubt we are going to see any more.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by more regional forms being introduced but I think this is all we are getting.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so mad I'll be in NYC this week, but not during the event....

Nobody knows

Here, pretend these are the leaked silhouettes to speculate and over. It helps keep the withdrawal shakes at bay
THtYgKL.png

FINALLY a pokémon based on the capybara!
capybara02.jpg

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
All those Treehouse Q&As throughout the week might not mean anything, but it would make sense for them to announce the new gen on the 26th (which, also, would be the 27th in Japan), then have these Q&As be mostly about the new gen. It's most definitely not where they will reveal it, though.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Previously when is the Pokemon Direct announcement made prior to the Pokemon Direct taking place.

The last Pokémon Direct in 2017 was announced a day before it was aired. Last year we didn't have a Direct but a live event in Japan. I wonder if they will go back to Directs or if we will get another live event.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Anyone else really love Colosseum and XD? I feel they are as good as the mainline games. So much fun. :D

Definitely underrated - especially XD, which fixed some of the problems that Colosseum had such as not having any wild Pokemon and not being able to reattempt to catch Shadow Pokemon that you missed. It also fleshed out and expanded Orre, showing how some of the cities/characters from the first game were doing a bit later, similar to Gold/Silver.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely underrated - especially XD, which fixed some of the problems that Colosseum had such as not having any wild Pokemon and not being able to reattempt to catch Shadow Pokemon that you missed. It also fleshed out and expanded Orre, showing how some of the cities/characters from the first game were doing a bit later, similar to Gold/Silver.
Yeah totally! I didn't like the art-style of the characters in XD, but then I finally played it and was really wowed by it. Such a great game. I also really am a sucker for Shadow Lugia. :p

wiill64

Oct 30, 2017
Anyone else really love Colosseum and XD? I feel they are as good as the mainline games. So much fun. :D
I think they're some of the better spin-offs in the series. They put a fun twist on the Pokémon formula with the Shadow Pokémon and Snagging mechanics. It was cool how they focused on double battles instead of singles and Miror B had one of the best battle themes in the series in XD. I remember playing both games a lot just to get Ho-Oh and Lugia in the Gen 3 games.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. They should make the mainline games double battles only. Or at the very least make the majority of battles double battles. It would also greatly improve the co-op if they want to keep it from Let's Go.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
I think a day or two before.
The last Pokémon Direct in 2017 was announced a day before it was aired. Last year we didn't have a Direct but a live event in Japan. I wonder if they will go back to Directs or if we will get another live event.

The alleged date for the Direct is 26/2, we could get that annoucement on Monday. I can't wait, roll on next week.

On Monday we gonna reset the clock every hour!

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
And it was still a spin off not developed by GameFreak
Yet they somehow managed to include all of the Pokémon. Which is seemingly more than Game Freak can manage.
Had a lot of fun with those games as a kid. If Let's Go was more like Colosseum and XD, then I might have been less mad at its existence.
All of the trainers with shadow Pokémon did have a rematch location in Colosseum, but good luck finding all of them without a guide.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
You say that as if Game Freak tried and failed adding all the Pokémon in, not that they chose this as a design choice.
What I'm saying is that removing Pokémon even being on the table for a "mainline" game should never have happened in the first place, and the fact that it did happen and they even went through with it reflects very poorly on Game Freak.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
What I'm saying is that removing Pokémon even being on the table for a "mainline" game should never have happened in the first place, and the fact that it did happen and they even went through with it reflects very poorly on Game Freak.
But it was a design choice not a choice of necessity as in "all they can manage".

It was a pisspoor design choice, but a design choice nonetheless

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Regarding the Regional Variants thing - i had a couple ideas of regional variants that i think could work. (If am going under the assumption that the next reigon will be UK Based and will be Gen 1 Pokemon only)

Regional Variants Ideas:

UK Growlithe/UK Arcanine

Typing: Fire/Steel

Inspiration: The English Cocker Spaniel - . It's has a more royal look to it with its main inspiration of design inspired by the Royal Guards of Buckingham Palace - it has a similar looking headwear but wears armour around itself. It is often around the Pokemon Equivalent to the Buckingham Palace. It is also inspired by Lupo who is the Cocker Spaniel of Prince Willaims.It's shiny form is Black refrencing one of the most popular colours for the Cocker Spaniel.

UK Machop.Machoke,Machamp

Typing: Grass/Fighting

Inspiration: It is inspired by Scottish Caber Throwing complete with it's lower body almost having a kilt like design to it as well as a belt. It also has a more greenish colour scheme to it and as a Machamp carries around a giant log which it can use to throw as well as attack.

UK Lapras

Typing: Water/Dragon

Inspiration: Lapras's UK Variation is heavily inspired by the legend that inspired the Pokemon in the first place - The Loch Ness Monster as well as the Plantesour In this Form - Lapras is a tad bit sleeker and more serpent then its normal variant - taking inspiration from both the fossil and the legend. I picked Water/Dragon because i thought it would fit a more sleeker Lapras more.

UK Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff.

Type: Fire/Fairy

Inspiration: Hot Air Balloons - while the Hot Balloon was made in France, Hot Air Balloons are still extremely popular in the United Kingdom and as such it would make sense for a regional variant. Both Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff in this variation would be more balloon like as well as have a bottom half that would be inspired by area where people are while flying the Hot Air Balloon.

UK Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot

Type: Steel/Flying

Inspiration: War Pigeons being used in the World Wars especially World War 1. World War 1 was a very significant time in UK History so i decided to go with a regional variant that incorporates parts of WW1 Soldier Outfits into its design - giving a more Militaristic Look and having a much higher attack stat then the regular Pidgeot.

UK Magnemite,Magneton,Magnezone (not sure about Magnezone since regional variants have been Gen 1 Pokemon)

Type: Steel/?? (Not sure what it's second typing could be - maybe Electric. Any ideas in terms of typing)

Inspiration: Steampunk, i love Mr Buddy's idea of a Steampunk Pokemon in the UK Region and while i definitely think there should be a not variant Pokemon that uses Steampunk in terms of it's design - i think Magnemite,Magneton and Magnezone would really work with the Steampunk designs - it would have an almost rustic/golden look them them and have a lot of gears moving around.

UK Dratini,Dragonair,Dragonite

Type: Poison/Dragon

Inspiration: Based on the Myth of the Saint Geogre Dragon. The Dragon was a Toxic Dragon that crawled out of the toxic bog and was destroying everything. While i do really like Mr Buddy's ideas of making it a Legendary i also think a Poison/Dragon Variation of the Dratini line would also work with this concept of a toxic dragon destroying everything.

Last edited:

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Gen 8 a wishlist of what I'd like

Johto Regional Variants
New Evolutions of old Pokémon
New Side evolutions
New Mega's

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the Regional Variants thing - i had a couple ideas of regional variants that i think could work. (If am going under the assumption that the next reigon will be UK Based and will be Gen 1 Pokemon only)

Regional Variants Ideas:

UK Growlithe/UK Arcanine

Typing: Fire/Steel

Inspiration: The English Cocker Spaniel - . It's has a more royal look to it with its main inspiration of design inspired by the Royal Guards of Buckingham Palace - it has a similar looking headwear but wears armour around itself. It is often around the Pokemon Equivalent to the Buckingham Palace. It is also inspired by Lupo who is the Cocker Spaniel of Prince Willaims.It's shiny form is Black refrencing one of the most popular colours for the Cocker Spaniel.

UK Machop.Machoke,Machamp

Typing: Grass/Fighting

Inspiration: It is inspired by Scottish Caber Throwing complete with it's lower body almost having a kilt like design to it as well as a belt. It also has a more greenish colour scheme to it and as a Machamp carries around a giant log which it can use to throw as well as attack.

UK Lapras

Typing: Water/Dragon

Inspiration: Lapras's UK Variation is heavily inspired by the legend that inspired the Pokemon in the first place - The Loch Ness Monster as well as the Plantesour In this Form - Lapras is a tad bit sleeker and more serpent then its normal variant - taking inspiration from both the fossil and the legend. I picked Water/Dragon because i thought it would fit a more sleeker Lapras more.

UK Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff.

Type: Fire/Fairy

Inspiration: Hot Air Balloons - while the Hot Balloon was made in France, Hot Air Balloons are still extremely popular in the United Kingdom and as such it would make sense for a regional variant. Both Jigglypuff and Wigglytuff in this variation would be more balloon like as well as have a bottom half that would be inspired by area where people are while flying the Hot Air Balloon.

UK Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot

Type: Steel/Flying

Inspiration: War Pigeons being used in the World Wars especially World War 1. World War 1 was a very significant time in UK History so i decided to go with a regional variant that incorporates parts of WW1 Soldier Outfits into its design - giving a more Militaristic Look and having a much higher attack stat then the regular Pidgeot.

UK Magnemite,Magneton,Magnezone (not sure about Magnezone since regional variants have been Gen 1 Pokemon)

Type: Steel/?? (Not sure what it's second typing could be - maybe Electric. Any ideas in terms of typing)

Inspiration: Steampunk, i love Mr Buddy's idea of a Steampunk Pokemon in the UK Region and while i definitely think there should be a not variant Pokemon that uses Steampunk in terms of it's design - i think Magnemite,Magneton and Magnezone would really work with the Steampunk designs - it would have an almost rustic/golden look them them and have a lot of gears moving around.

UK Dratini,Dragonair,Dragonite

Type: Poison/Dragon

Inspiration: Based on the Myth of the Saint Geogre Dragon. The Dragon was a Toxic Dragon that crawled out of the toxic bog and was destroying everything. While i do really like Mr Buddy's ideas of making it a Legendary i also think a Poison/Dragon Variation of the Dratini line would also work with this concept of a toxic dragon destroying everything.
Can you not choose Gen 1 for regional variants? They have had enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.