• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1200px-International_Pok%C3%A9mon_logo.svg.png

1hnJVs1.png

POKÉMON (Untitled Generation 8)
Developer: Game Freak
Publisher: Nintendo/The Pokemon Company
Release Date: Late 2019
Platform: Nintendo Switch

JphFnyl.png

We actually have some idea of what we can expect from Pokemon 8 when it finally launches:

d5PesdM.png

• We can expect Pokemon 8 to be compatible with Sun/Moon via Pokemon Bank
  • Pokemon Let's Go! Pikachu and Let's Go! Eevee have one brand new Pokemon. Presumably, this Pokemon is a Gen 8 creature that you can forward into Pokemon 8
    • This also further ties into the idea that Pokemon 8 will be compatible with LGPE.
  • We can expect Pokemon 8 to have a brand new region
  • We can expect Pokemon 8 to have brand new Pokemon, moves, and mechanics
  • We can expect Pokemon 8 to have a brand new campaign along the lines of traditional Pokemon games
  • Direct connectivity between Pokemon 8 and Pokemon GO may not be possible
This is all we know and can reasonably assume about next year's Pokemon game. What are your hopes, expectations, and desires from the new game? This is going to be the very first mainline core Pokemon game on a home console- what do you think it will be like?

Let's try and keep shitposting and unnecessary antagonism out of this thread. I'm not too happy with the current direction of the franchise myself, but I am holding out in hope that Gen 8 will usher in a new era for the games that makes me happy. Let's make this thread the hub for Gen 8 discussion.

Last edited:

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Just give me more new pokémon with fun designs and a region like Hoenn and I'll be happy.

Oh, and give is a good online like the PSS.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Octopath style map where you can go to all non story maps and the gyms can be done in any order (scailing based on how many badges you have)

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me, I would like to be able to control the camera freely and have more emphasis placed on exploring environments.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Octopath style map where you can go to all non story maps and the gyms can be done in any order (scailing based on how many badges you have)
This would be amazing (and Octopath itself already shows how it can be done), but do you really expect Game Freak to adopt something like that for their game?

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways give me good pokemon, new and cool battle mechanics,good online for the love of god and im good.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wouldn't mind more sidequests. Watching the anime marathon, I want DUMB SHENANIGANS involving some npcs. Would certainly go a long way in making towns feel more lively.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Gen 8 will finally deliver a slick male only Peacock pokemon.

Oh and hopefully add complexity and openness back to the level/world design.
Let's Go existing almost makes me hopeful that the gloves might finally come off ever so slightly this time.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Hard mode plz.

Stop with the hand holding and give us a challenge for God's sake.

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
They're not going to do it, but I'd love having a jackass rival again. Having an option for a harder difficulty would also be much appreciated.

I agree. Give me region design like Hoenn or Sinnoh, please. Let me get lost a bit, make dungeons intimidating again.

Seconded. Hoenn and Sinnoh were my two favorite regions, so anything that takes cues in their vein would be right up my alley.

As a side note, on my phone Hoenn autocorrected to horns.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gen 8 will finally deliver a slick male only Peacock pokemon.

Oh and hopefully add complexity and openness back to the level/world design.
Let's Go existing almost makes me hopeful that the gloves might finally come off ever so slightly this time.
To be fair, this is something TPCi itself has said, that with LGPE existing for a broader audience, Gen 8 will go back to appealing to the core, long time fans.

Seconded. Hoenn and Sinnoh were my two favorite regions, so anything that takes cues in their vein would be right up my alley.

As a side note, on my phone Hoenn autocorrected to horns.
Hoenn and Sinnoh are actually very well designed regions in terms of actual layout and structure. They're well thought out, wide linear, and the gating gives you a great illusion of freedom and agency.
As for your phone, it knows, lol.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dream/Hopes:
-Plenty of offline/online competitive game modes
-Wonder trade/GTS isn't trash
-Proper anti-cheating to prevent hacked pokemon from being used in online competitions
-Multiple difficulty modes for new trainers and veterans alike
-Ambitious gameplay changes, and effort in the graphics/art style design
- Plenty of new Pokemon (At least 100 imo)
-Ability to capture every pokemon available between the two versions
-NO MORE GEN 1 PANDERING
- More evolutions/ alternate forms for pokemon Gen 2-7

Expectations:
-Hopes and dreams crushed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm down for this thread! :D

I just want a proper HD game that feels like it was made for powerful HD hardware, and most importantly is trying to bend the rules and not play it so safe, like you-know-what. :P

Also, for the love of god, UPDATE THOSE DAMN CRIES! They somehow made the cries even worse, specifically the updates they did to the early gen Pokemon. What's the point when they still sound so low bit, but aren't the actual 8-bit cries anymore? They're like terrible bootleg cries now.

Nintendo EAD Kyoto were truly innovative in this area by fully modernizing the cries... on the DAMN N64!!! What's freaky is that Genius Sonority was evidently going to do just that for Pokemon Battle Revolution, observe:

But bizarrely they reverted back to the standard low bit cries in the final game. Man Wailord's cry gives me awesome chills! Talk about ferocious! :D

Papertoonz

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm very intested to see what country the new region is based on

Gonna be intresting to see what they go with

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
My main hopes:
Controllable camera and bigger maps, back to cel-shading. Following Pokémon, rideable Pokémon, and roaming Pokémon like in Let's Go, but improved so that it looks more natural when they walk around and stuff. Even more story focus, but better pacing and I guess skippable cutscenes.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no

i expect a decent game with some small changes to the formula that removes a good feature from the past game for no reason
What feature is left to remove now. Seriously
Unless they remove following and riding Pokemon from LGPE for no reason whatsoever.

I'm very intested to see what country the new region is based on

Gonna be intresting to see what they go with
Weren't there rumors that Game Freak's crew had been spotted in Spain?

Vuapol

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I almost forgot: lengthy postgame. Say, something like Hoenn's BATTLE FRONTIER.

Yes, I'm still salty about Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, why do you ask?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I want a true next gen Pokemon experience.

But I expect something that doesn't look all that different graphically or in world geometry design to Let's Go.

So at least give me something closer to Black & White in terms of enjoyment rather than Sun & Moon.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
What if in gen 8 they finally decide that not everything in battle (poison damage, weather status, leftovers) needs a text box sentence accompanying showing it with graphics?

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Just please less text than Ultra Sun/Moon, those games are a complete slog to get through. Also bring back the PSS and let me burn down the Festival Plaza as the opening to the game.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Less linearity.

Give me optional places to explore between towns. I want to be fighting trainers on some route, only to venture around off the route and stumble upon a massive cave that I can get lost it. Filled with trainers to battle, random items hidden throughout, rare/shiny Pokemon to discover, etc.

I recently tried replaying Moon and just couldn't. Everything is on rails and just so scripted. It doesn't even feel like a world.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a question: how many people would like voice acting in Gen 8? It would also let them ensure young kids who have not learned to read can play the game.

What if in gen 8 they finally decide that not everything in battle (poison damage, weather status, leftovers) needs a text box sentence accompanying showing it with graphics?
I'm not sure they will ever get rid of this lol. Even Black/White had this, didn't it?

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All I want is;
  • Less Gen 1 pandering,
  • The return of Cross gen evolution,
  • A dark type gym,
  • Lighten up on the hand holding,
  • A ghost/Normal type Pokémon
  • To reach the same level standard that gen 4 and 5 set.

I'm down for this thread! :D

I just want a proper HD game that feels like it was made for powerful HD hardware, and most importantly is trying to bend the rules and not play it so safe, like you-know-what. :P

Also, for the love of god, UPDATE THOSE DAMN CRIES! They somehow made the cries even worse, specifically the updates they did to the early gen Pokemon. What's the point when they still sound so low bit, but aren't the actual 8-bit cries anymore? They're like terrible bootleg cries now.

Nintendo EAD Kyoto were truly innovative in this area by fully modernizing the cries... on the DAMN N64!!! What's freaky is that Genius Sonority was evidently going to do just that for Pokemon Battle Revolution, observe:

But bizarrely they reverted back to the standard low bit cries in the final game. Man Wailord's cry gives me awesome chills! Talk about ferocious! :D

Battle Revolution was rushed to meet its deadline as the game was originally going to have story mode and mini games but it got cut.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been (what I consider to be) respectfully vocal about my disappointment with certain trends the series has been taking up, but I will remain cautiously optimistic for this. I used to entertain fantasies of a massive, interactive, lively, and dynamic overworld as a huge step forward for the franchise. But at this point I'll be satisfied if they can just make a challenging, engaging game that's fun to play offline for more than 15 hours with good area design, single player content with some degree of longevity, and a decent chunk of new Pokemon to find. Oh, and it would be awesome if they could stop removing good features. Or, if I may be so bold, bring some of them back like DexNav, Secret Bases, PSS, good battle facilities (like Battle Subway or PWT), etc.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
-Better level design(already said)
-Full new pokemon experience, instead of a few new pokemons and a bunch of old ones
- Regional variants was a nice idea but lazy explored
-Better story(B/W) level
-Buffs to a bunch of pokemons who cant keep the meta and nerfs the abusive/most used ones. This one is kinda mandatory, need to happen to a lot of pokemons and includes abilities
-Less cutscenes
-Less time in tutorials and at the start of the game
- Do something about the models faces. Looks lame and feels like they're afraid of not pleasing fans
- Make training to level 100 less painfull
- Make Battle Tower and similars less cheap and cheesy
- Fully control of camera and zoom
- Keep customization and further expand it, but take away player animations before entering a battle. Serves to no purpose
-Faster battles. Everything is so slow, even when you turn off battle animations
- No Hoenn design

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
Here's a question: how many people would like voice acting in Gen 8? It would also let them ensure young kids who have not learned to read can play the game.
On one hand it's 2018 and a console game, so it certainly should have it...

...but on the other hand, TPC handles the TV anime so if we ended up with that quality it would be a monkey's paw.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want lots of new Pokemon and Pokemon Bank connection. Simple, but that'd make me pretty happy and excited already.

Other wants and mostly dreams:
- Plenty of different trainer customization options. A simple body type selection would be neat. Buyable trainer outfits that represent trainer classes from that game and maybe older games too. I wanna run around as a gen1 bug catcher! Throw in outfits of all the evil teams for good measure.
- Battle Royale or another 4-player free for all mode. I love it! It's the only reason I played online in S/M. Please don't take this away from me, Gamefreak!
- Not dropping Mega Evolutions, Z-Moves and "Alolan" forms like they're old news. I'm sure there's a shiny new gimmick they want to focus on, but it'd be nice if more monsters (outside of the new gen and gen 1) would get specific Z-moves and new Mega Evolutions or "Alolan" style alt forms. Spread the love a little! I'd even love things like giving previous generation monsters gen4-style new (alternate?) evolution lines or gen2-style baby forms. Still waiting for that miltank/tauros pre-evo, dangit!

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
unnecessary antagonism
How much evidence is there to not be at least skeptical if you feel let down by everything post-BW2 though?

Have their been any recent interviews of GF responding to some of the common criticisms of the series' current direction (lack of difficulty, limited exploration, poor level design, etc)

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't want a B/W level story. I don't want a story. Give me the starting framework, and then let me go on my adventure. Have smaller stories in towns I visit via sidequests and NPCs, and maybe some Team Rocket level threat, but nothing more. Basically, handle it like Gens 1 and 2 did.

Status
Not open for further replies.