• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaultheNerd

Dec 25, 2018
They said this game is being made for longtime fans, not an entry point, I hope this means handholding has been purged.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be okay if they retcon and removed megaevolutions tbh.

Z moves too please but that's easier to remove.

Slamtastic

Oct 26, 2017
This could be the one. They already have baby first RPG in this Gen with Let's Go.

But Let's Go was made for adults.

Adults played the first gen on release when they were kids then dropped off, but were susceptible to nostalgia and willing to play a game on their phone that they already own, unlike dedicated video game hardware, especially Nintendo hardware and especially handhelds, for kids.

And those same adults that GO was for (see the player avatar designs compared to the main series) needed to be protected from the confusing and scary collection of convoluted and bloated mechanics and monsters that weren't in the game when they last played in '98 (except for the ones that are in LG but not from the original).

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I mean changing the battle system is fine, we can debate wether those choices worked or not, but the serries can not not change in some way game to game.
Changing the battle system is fine. Introducing a new mechanic then quietly dropping it isn't fine. If you're gonna introduce megas, then give us new megas each gen. This half-ass shit that gamefreak does is bullshit.

Watch them do the same for regional variants and Z-moves. If they're gonna do that then just retcon them out. Big multibillion dollar movie franchies do it all the time/

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Explain to little Tommy why he's favorite Pokémon, Mega Ampharos doesn't exist anymore.

Little tommy have shit taste, he should play the older games and see how ampharos was perfectly fine and beautiful without a mega

I don't think its ever happening either sadly but i wish it did

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
yeah this may be a bit too optimistic but I'd like to think that with LGPE being a thing that acts as an entry point to the series, the upcoming games will be less concerned with being accessible and intimidating to newer fans/fans who want less pokemon.

It would be insanely aggravating to receive an entry game only to have the following games developed with the same mindset.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Little tommy have shit taste, he should play the older games and see how ampharos was perfectly fine and beautiful without a mega

I don't think its ever happening either sadly but i wish it did
Ampharos is tied for my favorite Pokemon and I generally hate megas but Ampharos with a glorious mane is something to behold. Retconning megas is almost certainly not going to happen but I can see them abandoning the idea going forward. I just hope they don't abandon it just to introduce some other stupid gimmick.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Changing the battle system is fine. Introducing a new mechanic then quietly dropping it isn't fine. If you're gonna introduce megas, then give us new megas each gen. This half-ass shit that gamefreak does is bullshit.

Watch them do the same for regional variants and Z-moves. If they're gonna do that then just retcon them out. Big multibillion dollar movie franchies do it all the time/
There's a lot of things to give Game Freak shit over, but this right here is the biggest I think. I'm absolutely exasperated by how they'll introduce a big, new mechanic in one gen and then completely abandon it, seemingly, forever. Baby Pokemon, Pokemon following you, seasons, diving, mega evolutions, the list goes on and on and on. Watch them do it with ride Pokemon, regional variants, and Z-moves. And then there's features that come and go seemingly on a whim, like day/night cycles, rematches, and shaking grass/water.

Last edited:

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of things to give Game Freak shit over, but this right here is the biggest I think. I'm absolutely exasperated by how they'll introduce a big, new mechanic in one gen and then completely abandon it, seemingly, forever. Baby Pokemon, Pokemon following you, seasons, diving, mega evolutions, the list goes on and on and on. Watch them do it with ride Pokemon, regional variants, and Z-moves. And then there's features that come and go seemingly on a whim, like day/night cycles, rematches, and shaking grass/water.
Baby Pokemon lasted for 3 gens, I'm pretty sure they stopped doing them because they were totally pointless.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of new gimmiccks that disappear in the next gen. What's the over-under on the 1v1v1v1 battles returning. I don't see it being very likely.

Did the few for the Special throw animation and didn't touch that mode again. Game wasn't really balanced for it.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Mega Evolutions aren't done with.
They will 99% be back for at least gen 4 remakes.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of new gimmiccks that disappear in the next gen. What's the over-under on the 1v1v1v1 battles returning. I don't see it being very likely.

Did the few for the Special throw animation and didn't touch that mode again. Game wasn't really balanced for it.
I mean the game isnt balance for single battle ether, but most of the single player is played that way. I wish the single player was all doubles battles, but that wont happen.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
this wont ever happen with pokemon, but in thoary would people want/be ok with a pokemon game that lasted a full hardware cycle with paid dlc that added new pokemon/story content/ new areas?

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
The region/pokemon/characters would have to be done exceedingly well for me to want to spend 5-6 years in it

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Mega Evolutions aren't done with.
They will 99% be back for at least gen 4 remakes.
Its infuriating that we didn't see a push from Gamefreak to have Megas as new Pokemon alongside regional variants to bolster the dex in gen 7. In an ideal world for me they would keep both concepts, and eventually offer multiple megas depending on variants, etc. Or even just jeeping both ideas. Like 70 new Pokemon, alongside 40 new regional variants and 30 megas each gen.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its infuriating that we didn't see a push from Gamefreak to have Megas as new Pokemon alongside regional variants to bolster the dex in gen 7. In an ideal world for me they would keep both concepts, and eventually offer multiple megas depending on variants, etc. Or even just jeeping both ideas. Like 70 new Pokemon, alongside 40 new regional variants and 30 megas each gen.
As someone that doesn;t consider megas or regional variants as new Pokemon, I would hate that.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this wont ever happen with pokemon, but in thoary would people want/be ok with a pokemon game that lasted a full hardware cycle with paid dlc that added new pokemon/story content/ new areas?
they'd have to learn to not put everything in the base game then. we knew about Zeraora since day one of USUM despite it taking a year to release. the fact that Eternal Floette is in the game but impossible to properly access shows how fucking stupid their methods are

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
It's pretty infuriating that cross-gen evo's are likely done forever

it was hella fascinating getting to see older lines get a second evo, or single stage pokemon get new love.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
They won't. You can quote me on this.

They will be back for Gen 6 remakes. But the Gen 4 remakes will expand upon the new mechanic that Pokémon 2019 will introduce.
Mega Evolutions isn't a Gen 6 exclusive mechanic however. It's heavily advertised in Gen 7 especially for Let's Go. There may not have been any new ones introduced since Gen 6 but that doesn't mean Gamefreak is limiting that mechanic to Gen 6 only.

Mario_Bones

Oct 31, 2017
Australia
It's pretty infuriating that cross-gen evo's are likely done forever

it was hella fascinating getting to see older lines get a second evo, or single stage pokemon get new love.
I loved it in gens 2 and 4. You got to see something new and weird come from a Pokemon you love, or be given a reason to use a neglected one. Gen 4 was particularly cool about it because it took all these Pokemon that hadn't been prominent in years and made them awesome.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
at least give the other starters Megas. it's time for the Johto starters to have their time in the limelight as they're probably the weakest starters out there

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
We should! I bet that they won't introduce new Mega Evolutions for the Gen 4 remake. They will probably introduce a new mechanic and maybe even something similar, but the Gen 6 mechanic as we knew it won't be expanded further.
If you lose your avatar should be boxart of your least favorite mainline Pokémon game with a big and bold "best Pokémon game ever" text over it :p

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
In terms of Pokemon amount and distribution, I would like to see this:

- 50 brand new, original and standard pokemon. It seems to me that is the sweet spot for having a solid collection of original designs.
- 9 starter pokemon
- 20 cross gen evolutions. There have been no cross Gen evolutions for Gens 4, 5, 6 and 7. Go heavy in that direction with only a few from Gens 1-3.
- 10 legendaries. two trinities and two mythicals or some combination like that. I kinda liked the direction S&M was heading with the distinction that the Tapu quartet had.
- 8 new ultrabeasts. Incorporate returning ultrabeasts as well as allowing room for a few to be added in future games.
- 25 Regional Variants. Spread out through all generations. Although Gen 1 is shied away from.
- 12 new mega evolutions. Mostly selected from Gens 5, 6, and 7 but a few from gen 2 and/or 4.
- 17 hybrid pokemon. If two different species of Pokemon breed together they can make a hybrid pokemon depending on what pokemon and held item it is. Most of the hybrids are from cross gen pokemon as well. Some of the hybrids are single stage pokemon, others are pre-evos with branching evolutions into either of its parent's pokemon and others are brand new one or two stage lines.

This would add up to 151 new pokemon designs. However, I think by dividing them up this way. It allows for them to create a lot of designs that appeal to different fans.

Last edited:

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
do we know what the main complaints from the japanese side of the fanbase were about sun/moon? specifically children? since I've heard those complaints are what gamefreak take into consideration

Oct 27, 2017
- 10 legendaries. two trinities and two mythicals or some combination like that. I kinda liked the direction S&M was heading with the distinction that the Tapu quartet had.

Bleh. I haven't been a fan of the massive amounts of legendaries each game has had since Gen 4. It's just excessive. Gen 2/3 had it perfect. The main 2 legendaries (and maybe a 3rd for the enhanced version, ie. a Rayquaza) and then a legendary trio. Anymore and they stop being special. What's worse is that Gamefreak has basically been halfassing and not even including quests or battles because they have so many nowadays. Getting a legendary through an online distribution is 100% completely meaningless

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Bleh. I haven't been a fan of the massive amounts of legendaries each game has had since Gen 4. It's just excessive. Gen 2/3 had it perfect. The main 2 legendaries (and maybe a 3rd for the enhanced version, ie. a Rayquaza) and then a legendary trio. Anymore and they stop being special. What's worse is that Gamefreak has basically been halfassing and not even including quests or battles because they have so many nowadays. Getting a legendary through an online distribution is 100% completely meaningless
I agree with you. Which is why I put 10 legendaries. In Gen 3 there were 10 legendaries(Jirachi, Deoxys, Regice, Registeel, Regirock, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Latias and Latios.)

I was dissapointed with Gen 6's legendary amount. Only because Xerneas, Yveltal and Zygarde were my favorite legendary designs since Gen 2. Gen 4 and 5 were out of control.

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with you. Which is why I put 10 legendaries. In Gen 3 there were 10 legendaries(Jirachi, Deoxys, Regice, Registeel, Regirock, Rayquaza, Groudon, Kyogre, Latias and Latios.)

Lol, I actually forgot about the rest of those somehow. I guess when you put it that way, that's not an excessive number. Mainly because Gen 3 actually had some type of battle/event for all of them, aside from Jirachi and Deoxys (until I think Emerald).

Woylie

May 9, 2018
sinnoh had an insane amount of legendaries, i actually liked x and y's approach with having fewer. actually, did kalos even have a trio aside from the kanto birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.