• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Denryu

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
In terms of Pokemon amount and distribution, I would like to see this:

- 50 brand new, original and standard pokemon. It seems to me that is the sweet spot for having a solid collection of original designs.
- 9 starter pokemon
- 20 cross gen evolutions. There have been no cross Gen evolutions for Gens 4, 5, 6 and 7. Go heavy in that direction with only a few from Gens 1-3.
- 10 legendaries. two trinities and two mythicals or some combination like that. I kinda liked the direction S&M was heading with the distinction that the Tapu quartet had.
- 8 new ultrabeasts. Incorporate returning ultrabeasts as well as allowing room for a few to be added in future games.
- 25 Regional Variants. Spread out through all generations. Although Gen 1 is shied away from.
- 12 new mega evolutions. Mostly selected from Gens 5, 6, and 7 but a few from gen 2 and/or 4.
- 17 hybrid pokemon. If two different species of Pokemon breed together they can make a hybrid pokemon depending on what pokemon and held item it is. Most of the hybrids are from cross gen pokemon as well. Some of the hybrids are single stage pokemon, others are pre-evos with branching evolutions into either of its parent's pokemon and others are brand new one or two stage lines.

This would add up to 151 new pokemon designs. However, I think by dividing them up this way. It allows for them to create a lot of designs that appeal to different fans.
I really like these numbers! Tho i'd personally reduce the numbers of Ultra Beasts to 3. I dont want them gone since i really have grown to like them, but at the same time i dont want them to be a focus of the storyline again. Idk.

The hybrid idea is really cool, i hope we get something like that eventually!

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
In terms of Pokemon amount and distribution, I would like to see this:

- 50 brand new, original and standard pokemon. It seems to me that is the sweet spot for having a solid collection of original designs.
- 9 starter pokemon
- 20 cross gen evolutions. There have been no cross Gen evolutions for Gens 4, 5, 6 and 7. Go heavy in that direction with only a few from Gens 1-3.
- 10 legendaries. two trinities and two mythicals or some combination like that. I kinda liked the direction S&M was heading with the distinction that the Tapu quartet had.
- 8 new ultrabeasts. Incorporate returning ultrabeasts as well as allowing room for a few to be added in future games.
- 25 Regional Variants. Spread out through all generations. Although Gen 1 is shied away from.
- 12 new mega evolutions. Mostly selected from Gens 5, 6, and 7 but a few from gen 2 and/or 4.
- 17 hybrid pokemon. If two different species of Pokemon breed together they can make a hybrid pokemon depending on what pokemon and held item it is. Most of the hybrids are from cross gen pokemon as well. Some of the hybrids are single stage pokemon, others are pre-evos with branching evolutions into either of its parent's pokemon and others are brand new one or two stage lines.

This would add up to 151 new pokemon designs. However, I think by dividing them up this way. It allows for them to create a lot of designs that appeal to different fans.
>Only 12 new megas
You were doing alright until that point.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
sinnoh had an insane amount of legendaries, i actually liked x and y's approach with having fewer. actually, did kalos even have a trio aside from the kanto birds?
Sinnoh really doesn't have that many. Just 9 not counting mythicals. Alola has a whopping 22 not counting mythicals.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
Sinnoh had a larger number of legendaries but I felt like it really fit that region. The region was huge and it had a lot of myth and folklore behind it.

But yeah, Gen 2 and HGSS do it perfectly I think. I don't like how HGSS forces it, but man, the legends feel like they really matter in Johto. The Kimono Girl event and dance to summon Ho-oh is just too good. Everything came together thematically.

I really don't like how XY do it. Especially Yveltal represented as this destructive thing but there's nothing to show for it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
You guys have to stop grouping Legendary and Mythical Pokemon together. Mythical Pokemon like Victini and Hoopa exist for marketing purposes. They aren't meant to be as incorporated with the region as Legendary Pokemon are.

Legendary Pokemon embed themselves in the culture of the world, it's just not as interesting to explore without some Legendary Pokemon. For Alola, the Island Guardians, the Cosmog line, and Necrozma are necessary to establish and, subsequently, develop the region itself. I can understand if the number might seem excessive if you start looking at the Ultra Beasts, tho. But given how much they add to the Pokemon world, I don't have a problem with them.

The more Legendary Pokemon, the more Ultra Beasts, and the more Mega Evolutions, the better imo. I'm tired of the "this doesn't look like Pokemon, it's Digimon" nonsense. Game Freak can't be out here expecting me to think Ekans is an interesting monster design in 2018 either. I want more and more of the crazy stuff in 2019. Regional Variants, too.

Oct 26, 2017
Its infuriating that we didn't see a push from Gamefreak to have Megas as new Pokemon alongside regional variants to bolster the dex in gen 7. In an ideal world for me they would keep both concepts, and eventually offer multiple megas depending on variants, etc. Or even just jeeping both ideas. Like 70 new Pokemon, alongside 40 new regional variants and 30 megas each gen.

What? Mega-Evolutions were NEVER going to be part of a Alola's dex. Look at SM, Mega-Evolution dex entries were under the original non-Mega dex entries when you swap out the male/female/shiny variations. Doesn't even make sense to pretend that they would have increased the dex number anyway since you can't even capture them, and that they're only temporary forms.

Last edited:

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
slightly off topic but I really hope whatever gen 8 pokemon is used in M22 promotion is something akin to lucario/zoroark and not one of the chibi mythicals.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
One change I hope Game Freak does for Gen 8 is the removal of a 3rd game.

Gen 6 suffered from it, since the Zygarde game never came out, and while USUM added some cool stuff, they were also outright inferior to the vanilla games in some respects (Lillie and Lusamine were much better characters, and the Looker/Anabel/faller plot was removed)

I'd rather they put everything they could into the main games, and then add a 3rd game-style DLC.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
was Zygarde even in X and Y? also I haven't seen it used in the VGC format, so I guess it's just not that good in doubles?

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Sinnoh really doesn't have that many. Just 9 not counting mythicals. Alola has a whopping 22 not counting mythicals.

wow, i didn't even realize. i guess those island guardians and other random ones do add up.

as far as bad legendaries: heatran always seemed like the epitome of an unnecessary legendary to me - same with kyurem until bw2 gave it decent redemption. the lake and genie trios are also a bummer - until their whole new forms with the mirror thing, the genies basically looked like recolors of each other.

also i agree that making the third game dlc instead makes a lot more sense these days and would likely lead to more sales (though perhaps less of the redundant purchases from hardcore fans that make those rereleases so profitable) - i just worry that game freak is a bit of a stubborn company with an old fashioned mindset and wouldn't want to give up their third versions.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
do we think they will add new ultra beasts for gen 8? or will they be like mega evolutions, just a concept that's introduced in one gen and basically left behind the next?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do we think they will add new ultra beasts for gen 8? or will they be like mega evolutions, just a concept that's introduced in one gen and basically left behind the next?
Ultra Beasts were very tightly woven into the story, unlike mega evos or regional forms. I doubt they're coming back. and I'd be ok with that

Woylie

May 9, 2018
On another note, what are some interesting type combos people are interested to see? With regional forms and megas it's hard to keep track of what hasn't been done yet, but do we have a Dark/Fairy?

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
What was their explanation?
Q:We noticed ORAS had a lower difficulty level compared to previous Pokemon games. What bought you to this decision? Any chance that future games will have the possibility to adjust difficulty level as seen in Black and White 2?

A:What? How come you've already played the games? hearty laughter [the games were supposed to come out in Italy the day after the interview] We created a "balanced" game that was suited for our time and age, where everyone is very busy and young people have various means of entertainment. Using smartphones and other devices they can access a great number of games, so the time they dedicate to a single game is less than in the past. The player can choose to keep on playing after the main story and continue to the post-game, where the difficulty rises and there are much more difficult Trainers and challenges to overcome.

Q:Why wasn't the Battle Frontier in the remakes?

A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2olmtb/interview_with_masuda_on_oras_and_why_there_is_no/

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Q:We noticed ORAS had a lower difficulty level compared to previous Pokemon games. What bought you to this decision? Any chance that future games will have the possibility to adjust difficulty level as seen in Black and White 2?

A:What? How come you've already played the games? hearty laughter [the games were supposed to come out in Italy the day after the interview] We created a "balanced" game that was suited for our time and age, where everyone is very busy and young people have various means of entertainment. Using smartphones and other devices they can access a great number of games, so the time they dedicate to a single game is less than in the past. The player can choose to keep on playing after the main story and continue to the post-game, where the difficulty rises and there are much more difficult Trainers and challenges to overcome.

A:This question is connected with my previous answer. We didn't put the BF in ORAS for this very reason. Interviewer's note: In short he means that they didn't include the BF because only a very small part of the players would have fully appreciated and made use of this feature; nowadays players get bored and frustrated more easily and they aren't interested in things that are so demanding/challenging.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/2olmtb/interview_with_masuda_on_oras_and_why_there_is_no/
GOD, that is a depressing response.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Contrast it to this HGSS interview.

Iwata
Let's turn now to the games themselves. Morimoto-san, what sort of issues did you bear in mind as you worked on the remakes of Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver?
Morimoto
The first thing that I knew I needed to bear in mind was to respect the feelings of those people who'd played Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver ten years before. I think that players have very strong memories of the game, so they'd think things like "Ah, this trainer is still strong" and "If I do this here, this is going to happen". I knew I needed to respect these feelings.
Iwata
So you're saying you wanted those people who'd played the game ten years before to be able to feel a real sense of familiarity when they played the new Pokémon?
Morimoto
Right. But at the same time, there are a large number of players who had no knowledge of Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver and who first played Pokémon on the Game Boy Advance or the Nintendo DS. While we were creating the game, we were conscious of making it so that these players could play with the sense that it was a totally new game.
Iwata
So it's not simply a remake of Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver?
Ishihara
We were very greedy with the features we put in.
Morimoto
Yes, we were incredibly greedy with the features this time round! (laughs) We basically included all the game elements that had been in Pokémon Diamond and Pokémon Pearl and Pokémon Platinum.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/ds/pokemon/0/4

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019

Well they did increase the difficulty in Gen 7. Now we're waiting for the PWT (because the battle frontier is meh) to return.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the mention of this being for fans of the series will make them work on battle frontier this time.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy

Tbh I wouldn't give that much weight to the interview for Pokémon Millenium that was held in 2014, especially after the Game Informer interview of 2017

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Yep. People keep trotting that now 4 and a bit year old interview out and ignore that the last traditional main series game had increased difficulty
They also released Let's Go, which in my opinion allowed them introduce all easy features into one game and free the rest of the mainline games from such features.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I didnt play usum, so cant coment there, but sun/moon was a cake walk to play though.
In USUM, the Totem Pokémon were a lot harder and the story climaxed with a boss 10 levels higher than the previous Pokémon you battled, with all stats boosted and moves to cover every single weakness. Unless you planned ahead, you would likely wipe out the first time you battle it.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I didnt play usum, so cant coment there, but sun/moon was a cake walk to play though.

In my opinion, gen 7 has more difficult opponents than previous games, but they also give you a lot of options for team building which in the end makes the game seem less difficult in comparison to something like BW. Not to mention all changes that happened in gen 6 and 7 (fairy typing, stat changes and new abilities). Its much easier to deal with Pokemon like Hydreigon or bronzong now than it was in gens 4 and 5.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
In my opinion, gen 7 has more difficult opponents than previous games, but they also give you a lot of options for team building which in the end makes the game seem less difficult in comparison to something like BW. Not to mention all changes that happened in gen 6 and 7 (fairy typing, stat changes and new abilities). Its much easier to deal with Pokemon Hydreigon or bronzong now than it was in gens 4 and 5.
And Exp Share makes things "easier" than prior games due to lack of grinding required

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018

I would prefer they add neither of them. UBs are legendaries that most dont call simply because of this new term. While Megas can be risky if they go to routes like M-Metagross or M-Kanghaskan. I for one would like Jotho or Unova starter Megas, but seriously if they keep adding things with no balance in mind or simply brownosing some pokemons, I rather prefer to not have Megas at all. Regional variants are a cool concept and healthy balance wise, they just need to stop doing Kanto only version.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Of course they are left behind. They were just a group of Pokémon, not a special mechanic. That's like saying every generation should add legendary beasts or legendary birds.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
I would prefer they add neither of them. UBs are legendaries that most dont call simply because of this new term. While Megas can be risky if they go to routes like M-Metagross or M-Kanghaskan. I for one would like Jotho or Unova starter Megas, but seriously if they keep adding things with no balance in mind or simply brownosing some pokemons, I rather prefer to not have Megas at all. Regional variants are a cool concept and healthy balance wise, they just need to stop doing Kanto only version.

i think johto regional variants will happen, especially if we are eventually getting a johto let's go game (pichu and togepi should be the mascots, imo)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are more recent interviews out there if you want to call out Game Freak for some shit. In particular, I hate how Masuda likes to blame smartphones for shit, as if he gave up and let's them steamroll him

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
There are more recent interviews out there if you want to call out Game Freak for some shit. In particular, I hate how Masuda likes to blame smartphones for shit, as if he gave up and let's them steamroll him
Yea, he's not interested in making a true to form pokemon rpg anymore.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I can see the frustration. I see it everywhere now.

Nowadays whenever there's something Pokémon, people equate it to Pokémon GO.

In Japan recently, Sandshrew was labelled as ambassador of Tottori (it's called Sand, they have Sand Dunes), so The Pokémon Company did a load of stuff in the area for it. At first they weren't going to include GO, but then changed their minds. Following that, all articles were like "Niantic has teamed with Tottori to bring a Sandshrew focused tie-in to Tottori". I see it every time. Whenever an event is announced, people ask "is it for GO?"

So in essence, smartphones have steamrolled Pokémon. They're just going perhaps the wrong way to counter it. They shouldn't be diluting the main experience to appease mobile fans, they should be making sure the main experience is the distinct and superior experience, especially as Niantic keep ballsing everything up with GO

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Mega evolutions are an abomination and need to go away. It's very rare that adding layers to a classic gameplay formula actually makes things better and this one was a swing and miss.

Also I still think gold/silver had the best post game content. Finding out there was a whole other region is a feeling yet to be matched in a series. Why they haven't tried to achieve a similar scope in later games is beyond me, but if there was ever a perfect opportunity to go big, it's now.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Also I still think gold/silver had the best post game content. Finding out there was a whole other region is a feeling yet to be matched in a series. Why they haven't tried to achieve a similar scope in later games is beyond me, but if there was ever a perfect opportunity to go big, it's now.
Because to do it they had to compromise the first region it, making it the smallest and shortest region, and then the second region was empty and unstructured.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see the frustration. I see it everywhere now.

Nowadays whenever there's something Pokémon, people equate it to Pokémon GO.

In Japan recently, Sandshrew was labelled as ambassador of Tottori (it's called Sand, they have Sand Dunes), so The Pokémon Company did a load of stuff in the area for it. At first they weren't going to include GO, but then changed their minds. Following that, all articles were like "Niantic has teamed with Tottori to bring a Sandshrew focused tie-in to Tottori". I see it every time. Whenever an event is announced, people ask "is it for GO?"

So in essence, smartphones have steamrolled Pokémon. They're just going perhaps the wrong way to counter it. They shouldn't be diluting the main experience to appease mobile fans, they should be making sure the main experience is the distinct and superior experience, especially as Niantic keep ballsing everything up with GO
It's not even Pokemon Go. Masuda doesn't specify what game, just that he thinks people rather play on smartphones ("and other games"*) so that was why there was little content. He said this for LG and for ORAS. Instead of thinking "what can we do to make people want to play our game over others", he thinks "the shorter our games are, the sooner people will play other games. So considerate!". It's just poor business logic all around

*paraphrase

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
Because to do it they had to compromise the first region it, making it the smallest and shortest region, and then the second region was empty and unstructured.
Even then though I didn't see very many complaints. I mean, I could be wrong and misremembering, I'll admit that. And I am biased. But I'd love to see an honest go at doing it right.

I just find the post-game of here are more battles but slightly harder to be a little plain. Or like, here is a dungeon and a Pokemon you now have access too that we could have easily have made accessible during the regular game but....post-game content! I like when there's actual goals and things to do associated with the post-game content. A lot of other RPGs do this very well, not sure why this one can't.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's not even Pokemon Go. Masuda doesn't specify what game, just that he thinks people rather play on smartphones ("and other games"*) so that was why there was little content. He said this for LG and for ORAS. Instead of thinking "what can we do to make people want to play our game over others", he thinks "the shorter our games are, the sooner people will play other games. So considerate!". It's just poor business logic all around

*paraphrase
When you look at how the Japanese gaming industry has shifted in 10 years, I can absolutely see why he may think that. Mobile gaming has severely impacted the core gaming industry. Practically every game series saw a huge loss in sales, average sales were down and so forth.

We in the west haven't seen such an impact, but in Japan things were looking dire for a very long time. We still sometimes get weeks where games in the Top 10 only sold 5,000 units or less, however the dedicated gaming industry does seem to be getting a bit or a resurgence in the past couple of years.

This is why we in the west think it's poor business logic, but when you look at it from the Japan stand point, I can see why he may think it.

Do note: I'm not saying he's right. I'm saying I 100% get why he thinks it

Even then though I didn't see very many complaints. I mean, I could be wrong and misremembering, I'll admit that. And I am biased. But I'd love to see an honest go at doing it right.

I just find the post-game of here are more battles but slightly harder to be a little plain. I like when there's actual goals and things to do associated with the post-game content. A lot of other RPGs do this very well, not sure why this one can't.
Nostalgia is a heck of a thing, that's why there weren't that many. Going back at it with an objective eye before HGSS really highlighted the flaws it had to me :/

Status
Not open for further replies.