• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Even with Eviolite, you could still do Alternate Evolutions and not break anything in regards to Eviolite, like with Froslass and Gallade. Or bring in more Megas, even if it feels like they could work as regular evolutions (Mawile).

Alternatively, they could just change the buff Eviolite gets if it becomes a problem. 50% increase to first stage pokemon, 30% increase for second stage ones is one I've seen suggested.

I don't think they've nerfed an item yet, but they've nerfed abilities and moves in the past like Galewings and Thunder Wave.
They have nerfed a couple of items.

Previously, Soul Drew increased the Special Attack and Special Defense of Latios and Latias. Now, it just boosts their Psychic and Dragon-type moves

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I like the idea of doing another Gen V, but not exactly the same way. Instead of just flat out having a bunch of new, unrelated Pokemon, give us 100+ completely new Pokemon, but also include 100+ old Pokemon that are still new in one way or another. Whether it be new evos/pre-evos, mega evolutions, or regional variants, all the extra "padding" Pokemon lines in the regional dex would still have something new going for them.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if they'll introduct lots of Pokémon. I can see them doing 60~70 like SM. They seem to be avoiding the 1000 dex entry like a plague.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea that 1000 was some terrible, imposing total was always a bit silly to me. The idea that they'd want to make a big deal out of it and make the 1000th Pokemon a big deal from a marketing perspective, sure.

The whole "1000 is too much to keep track of" thing doesn't really hold any water when a casual player is going to encounter roughly 1/3 of them in the campaign of a particular game. And on the other end of things, the people who play competitively are sure to welcome new Pokemon as opportunities to add new wrinkles and angles to that style of play (even so, the batch of Pokemon under the competitive microscope is also comparatively small because of how balance usually shakes out).

I've made my peace with the fact that we're probably never getting another BW-style game in which ~150 all new creatures are the stars of the show, as much as I want it and as exhilarating as it would be. But I'm just hoping at this point for a total of new Pokemon that extends past 100. I've said this before, but Gen 3 really had it perfect. The regional dex has 202 total Pokemon, with 66 (33%) older Pokemon and 136 (67%) new Pokemon (a couple babies in there too).

I dunno, encountering new Pokemon for a majority of the game really goes a long way in making a Pokemon game feel fresh or exciting to me. Those feelings of not knowing what's around the corner or what a given Pokemon is all about when I see it for the first time are just really fun.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
It's my belief that the high Pokemon count is why they took out the National Dex. That way the truest of casuals didn't have to be intimidated when they became Champion and their cool powerful Decidueye changed from #003 to #724. So for that reason it shouldn't really matter anymore how high they go if there's no National Dex to reveal those four digits.

Alternatively, going off of recent GameFreak interviews, removing the National Dex was just another measure to save Pokemon players the agony of playing Pokemon. Without an in-game method of tracking their collection, people might be less inclined to have a collection, and thus the sooner they can move on to playing all those other games they're surely more interested in.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
He's not wrong about that though, 15 years ago if you wanted to play a game on the go you needed a game console. Now you only need a phone and most kids are playing their first games on a touchscreen smart device not a game console. Phones are the way most people play games these days.

This is a reality that all developers are facing, especially those who make software aimed at children.

This is defeatism at its finest. So mobile is big, does that mean you just cave over and ignore game design that would help improve said problems?

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see 1000 pokemon as a problem. You will never have a game with all of them. Limiting the regional dex is the way to go.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The type of player who complains about the National Dex and high number of Pokémon rarely bothers to complete the regional dex to begin with so I personally don't see any value in trying to placate this type of player while Game Freak holds the National Dex behind a paygate.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The problem with Masudas fear of phone games makes no sense. He's worried people will give up on Pokemon half way through but I guarantee most kids don't stick with a mobile game for more than a few week if that before the next fad comes along.

He needs to see what kids are playing on consoles, stuff like Minecraft and Fortnite that don't hold the players hand in the slightest.

Kids like doing stupid shit in big open worlds and customizing. Pokemon is prime for this. Interupting you every minute for a pointless cutscene and making the games brain dead easy so there's no sense of satisfaction is not the right way to go. If anything it will make the kids put it down quicker.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with Masudas fear of phone games makes no sense. He's worried people will give up on Pokemon half way through but I guarantee most kids don't stick with a mobile game for more than a few week if that before the next fad comes along.

He needs to see what kids are playing on consoles, stuff like Minecraft and Fortnite that don't hold the players hand in the slightest.

Kids like doing stupid shit in big open worlds and customizing. Pokemon is prime for this. Interupting you every minute for a pointless cutscene and making the games brain dead easy so there's no sense of satisfaction is not the right way to go. If anything it will make the kids put it down quicker.
Exactly, kids don't like reading tons and tons of text in their games.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, kids don't like reading tons and tons of text in their games.
TIME FOR VOICE ACTING!

that being said, Pokemon's not going to give up the increased story telling focus, but it really does need to cut down on the superfluous text. saving and healing should not be so fucking wordy.

Oct 27, 2017

Not to mention the way to compete against mobile games isn't to dumb down your experience and try and emulate them, it's to provide a compelling experience that can't be found on mobile. Every other developer gets it. If you keep kids engaged they'll keep playing, yet Gamefreak seems to go the opposite direction and assume it's impossible to keep kids engaged for too long so they make the newer games as simple as possible to get through

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
TIME FOR VOICE ACTING!

that being said, Pokemon's not going to give up the increased story telling focus, but it really does need to cut down on the superfluous text. saving and healing should not be so fucking wordy.

Did Nintendo cancel a direct for the pokemon direct haha. So many announcements! Just kidding kinda.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I wonder if the reveal will be through a regular Pokémon direct or if they'll have another big press event. Gen 8 should be a bigger deal than Let's Go. If they do a press event they should livestream it.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
How many Pokemon are we at now, something I should know, I have been playing Pokemon for 19 years. 😂

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon Day isn't really a thing outside of the 20th anniversary. I wouldn't expect to hear anything specifically around that date.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many Pokemon are we at now, something I should know, I have been playing Pokemon for 19 years. 😂

the whole "too many pokemon" thing is irrelevant since you can't even get half of them in a single game. and with no National Dex, most people won't even know about all of them, much less care

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I dunno, encountering new Pokemon for a majority of the game really goes a long way in making a Pokemon game feel fresh or exciting to me. Those feelings of not knowing what's around the corner or what a given Pokemon is all about when I see it for the first time are just really fun.

I wonder how people are even fine with a low amount of new pokemons, since the main reason to jump in another region its to have a new and fresh experience. It won't be that way when everytime the player advances to a new area in the game he either encounters the same mons or a bunch of old ones.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
If they add more moves, I want more utility/technical moves in general. Attacks with added boons or disadvantages to using them, and more conditional "if this, then..." moves.

Specifically in grass it makes sense. It's not a very good attacking type, but I always liked playing with grass types because you get to play with things like status effects, leech seed, draining moves, etc. Do we really need more moves that are the same as what we already have, but with a different name? Why was Leafage not at least made a special move, rather than physical, for example? I don't think we needed another standard low level grass attack, but they could have at least made it not exactly the same a vine whip.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon in the overworld will make it so that the new ones can be more prominent, so even if we still don't get a huge number of them it should be fine. At the very least they shouldn't be hard to find that way.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
apparently the Pokemon A plush supposedly being unveiled by the end of this month, is the same "Pokemon A" secret as the takara tomy mewtwo figurine?

Assuming that the actual secret would have to be shown off before the merchandise pertaining to it is revealed, we could be hearing something next week or the week after.

Still hesitant to jump on the hype train because "Pokemon A" could be literally anything, but it's short term news to look forward to

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
apparently the Pokemon A plush supposedly being unveiled by the end of this month, is the same "Pokemon A" secret as the takara tomy mewtwo figurine?

Assuming that the actual secret would have to be shown off before the merchandise pertaining to it is revealed, we could be hearing something next week or the week after.

Still hesitant to jump on the hype train because "Pokemon A" could be literally anything, but it's short term news to look forward to
That'd be amazing, I'm so thirsty to see this game. I've been waiting since E3 2017 basically. And even before that because of the Pokémon Stars rumor lol

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Pokémon Day isn't really a thing outside of the 20th anniversary. I wouldn't expect to hear anything specifically around that date.
That's not entirely true. There has been stuff for Pokémon Day every year since the 20th.

In 2017, for Pokémon Day, they released Party Hat Pikachu in GO, started a new merchandise line (Gallery Figures), put several movies up on the Pokémon TV app, provided a bonus for Pokémon Trading Card Game Online players, launched the Pikachu New 3DS XL, had an all day stream on Twitch and had some activities on the official sites and social media.

In 2018, for Pokémon Day, the re-released Party Hat Pikachu in GO, with a Shiny variant now possible, released Pikachu Talk on Google Home & Alexa devices. They began SnapChat lenses focusing on Pokémon, released a new merchandise line (EX Gallery Figures), added I Choose You to Pokémon TV and did a few activities on official sites and social media

I wonder how people are even fine with a low amount of new pokemons, since the main reason to jump in another region its to have a new and fresh experience. It won't be that way when everytime the player advances to a new area in the game he either encounters the same mons or a bunch of old ones.
Difference is that Game Freak consider Region Variants and Mega Evolutions to be new Pokémon as well as the new new Pokémon

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
That'd be amazing, I'm so thirsty to see this game. I've been waiting since E3 2017 basically. And even before that because of the Pokémon Stars rumor lol

I doubt it would be a reveal of the games tbh, just a new pokemon shown off or form or something (best case scenario). I'm thirsty for a reveal too though. It's hard to believe we're finally in the release year for what will undoubtedly be the most exciting generation yet ;-;

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I was just thinking that "Plus and Minus" for titles would make sense since the Switch has plus and minus buttons.

Hopefully that happens because it would mean they wouldnt waste two pokedex spots putting plusle and minun in the obvious games just like lunatone and solrock werent in sun and moon

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
So one hope I have is that they really go balls to the wall with customization. A varied assortment of hair,eye types,clothing. Heck give me accessories like umbrellas and such. I want a character creator basically. They can have the default looks of course but give me more options.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Minus with the Ice-type box mascot, Plus with the Fire-type box mascot.

So one hope I have is that they really go balls to the wall with customization. A varied assortment of hair,eye types,clothing. Heck give me accessories like umbrellas and such. I want a character creator basically. They can have the default looks of course but give me more options.

I hated that they locked certain clothes and colours behind version exclusivity in Gen 7. Hopefully they don't repeat it.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Pokemon Plus sounds way too much like a weird app or something for it to be a main line game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.