• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
What I'd really like is for them to do a Black and White and have only new Pokemon appear at least in the main story you can have them appear post game somehow.

Give us over 100 please.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
To me its like hoping for a darker Mario or Zelda and id prefer they stop with the preachy, melodramatic stuff and go back to the mostly jovial journey to become champion of old.

What "preachy" stuff are you referring to? Outside of Gen V having PETA-meets-Knights-Templar-meets-gun-control-legislation-in-the-US as villains while somehow working as its own thing, I never thought the games got preachy. Sorry for asking, I just don't know what you're referring to other than Team Plasma, & that's about a decade old at this point.

Heck, Gen VI's pointed lack-of-story was one of many reasons I wasn't a fan of it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What "preachy" stuff are you referring to? Outside of Gen V having PETA-meets-Knights-Templar-meets-gun-control-legislation-in-the-US as villains while somehow working as its own thing, I never thought the games got preachy. Sorry for asking, I just don't know what you're referring to other than Team Plasma, & that's about a decade old at this point.

Heck, Gen VI's pointed lack-of-story was one of many reasons I wasn't a fan of it.

Sun and moon had an extensive monologue with Lusamine and her mother in the penultimate scene of the game involving Pokemon not being objects to collect....which they fucking are intended and promoted as in every possible way. It literally made me cringe. The writers need to roll with it instead of trying to justify or handwave what Pokemon as a franchise is or it just comes off as really juvenile writing.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Sun and moon had an extensive monologue with Lusamine and her mother in the penultimate scene of the game involving Pokemon not being objects to collect....which they fucking are intended and promoted as in every possible way. It literally made me cringe.

Ah. That's fair. I'm not a fan when it gets weirdly hypocritical & lacks self-awareness, too. I can continue railing about Gen VI's plot on that note, too... But instead, I will say that I at least enjoy creepy-weird stuff. The Ultra Beasts scratched that itch that Pokemon Tower/the Ruins of Alph did back in the day, especially when Lusamine became one! ... Then that excitement ran out when a Nihilego-taking-over-Lusamine fusion did not, in fact, tag into the battle after Lusamine's 5th Pokemon was KO'd.

That stuff is arguably dark, but I definitely want to see more of that in Gen 8.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Ah. That's fair. I'm not a fan when it gets weirdly hypocritical & lacks self-awareness, too. I can continue railing about Gen VI's plot on that note, too... But instead, I will say that I at least enjoy creepy-weird stuff. The Ultra Beasts scratched that itch that Pokemon Tower/the Ruins of Alph did back in the day, especially when Lusamine became one! ... Then that excitement ran out when a Nihilego-taking-over-Lusamine fusion did not, in fact, tag into the battle after Lusamine's 5th Pokemon was KO'd.

That stuff is arguably dark, but I definitely want to see more of that in Gen 8.

Oh, if that's what you mean by dark then sure. I think the games could learn a lot from the anime when it comes to having scenes that actually get an emotional response at least.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Oh, if that's what you mean by dark then sure. I think the games could learn a lot from the anime when it comes to having scenes that actually get an emotional response at least.

Agreed. I like N & all, but any attempts at plot since then felt unearned, too forced, &/or squandered a good idea. I feel Game Freak doesn't have the chops to go much further than what they did in Gen V. I'd love to be wrong, though!

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. I like N & all, but any attempts at plot since then felt unearned, too forced, &/or squandered a good idea. I feel Game Freak doesn't have the chops to go much further than what they did in Gen V. I'd love to be wrong, though!
I hated N. my problem with Gen 5's story pretty much centered around him. like GF wanted some sort of messiah figure but didn't go far enough with it. thought the story would have been better without him.

gen 7 is still my favorite story simply because they didn't try to do so much

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I wonder if they maybe can work around rock, ice and bug as starters. On a side note, that would give at least more incentive to balancing ice(and perhaps bug).

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
Hmm so. . . with gamefreak opening their own twitter page and youtube channel recently, Town on the horizon, giga wrecker alt being rated, and the gen 8 announcement still needing to happen, I wonder if we might get some sort of a press event, or gamefreak conference kind of thing instead of a direct. It seems like they're trying do more (for lack of a better phrase lol) as a company, and strengthen their identity a bit, and we already saw them hold a press event last year for LGPE.

What do you guys think?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Pokemon stories are kinda neat on the first play through but after I just mash A when text shows up. I barely bother reading. Which sounds weird for an RPG but most of the characters and story are pretty disposable. Give me more monsters and cool areas to explore.

Inspirit

May 29, 2018
I don't know where to post this, but if I buy the English version of Pokemon Gold on the VC and play it on an European 3DS, will I still be able to transfer Pokemons from the english game to a PAL version of USUM ?

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Honestly, all I want for Gen 8 is a camera you can move with the right stick. I'm not expecting it, but that's what I'm hoping for. Hopefully Town is partly an engine test for Pokemon, since that footage from the direct appeared to show a fully controllable camera.

Gaardus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know where to post this, but if I buy the English version of Pokemon Gold on the VC and play it on an European 3DS, will I still be able to transfer Pokemons from the english game to a PAL version of USUM ?
Yeah, you'll be able to transfer them to Pokemon Bank, and from there to any Gen VII game.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
N is still the best character Pokemon has ever done in my eyes. He and Ghetsis were done so well and made Black and White easily the most enjoyable Pokemon story. I really doubt Game Freak will ever top it. X&Y and S&M were just awful, especially in the character department.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I wonder if they maybe can work around rock, ice and bug as starters. On a side note, that would give at least more incentive to balancing ice(and perhaps bug).
Water/Rock and Water/Bug already have amazing Pokemon repping the type combos, Carracosta and Araquanid respectively. If they can do better Pokemon than that, sure why not one of the two. Fire/Ice would also be the only viable combo out of those 3 as well, cause Fire/Rock would have crap defense against ground and water moves, and Fire/Bug with rock. Shit, Grass/Bug is also pretty pretty crap. Grass/Rock, Fire/Ice, and Water/Bug would be a cool thing to see though.

Hmm so. . . with gamefreak opening their own twitter page and youtube channel recently, Town on the horizon, giga wrecker alt being rated, and the gen 8 announcement still needing to happen, I wonder if we might get some sort of a press event, or gamefreak conference kind of thing instead of a direct. It seems like they're trying do more (for lack of a better phrase lol) as a company, and strengthen their identity a bit, and we already saw them hold a press event last year for LGPE.

What do you guys think?
Sure why not. Throw in a Drill Dozer and Protoman team up game while they're at it.

Honestly, all I want for Gen 8 is a camera you can move with the right stick. I'm not expecting it, but that's what I'm hoping for. Hopefully Town is partly an engine test for Pokemon, since that footage from the direct appeared to show a fully controllable camera.
It definitely is. Some things feel too similar to Pomemon ti be a coincidence.

Deleted member 42686

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I'm super down for that.

Yeah its not exactly the best ones I have in mind, but I was thinking more of diversity(and balance in case of ice). I'm fine with dark, ghost and fairy types again. I do like S/M starters.

Water/Rock and Water/Bug already have amazing Pokemon repping the type combos, Carracosta and Araquanid respectively. If they can do better Pokemon than that, sure why not one of the two. Fire/Ice would also be the only viable combo out of those 3 as well, cause Fire/Rock would have crap defense against ground and water moves, and Fire/Bug with rock. Shit, Grass/Bug is also pretty pretty crap. Grass/Rock, Fire/Ice, and Water/Bug would be a cool thing to see though.

Yeah, when I though on bug I was thinking more of Araquanid and Golisopod case. Rock I could see working on both water and grass, but was thinking more of examples like Cradily.
As for Ice I just throw for the sake of diversity and balancing measures. I can only see something working like water/ice. Its not a good type, maybe something they could work to fix.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I don't think Fire/Rock would be that bad if it was on something fast. If it's fast enough, it's unlikely to care about Water and Ground moves as much, because you can switch out with something like U-turn, or just attack first - Magcargo highlights all the massive flaws of the typing because it's so slow and is trying to be defensive. Fire/Rock doesn't have bad coverage either and usually Rock types get Ground coverage, Fire+Ground and Rock+Ground are both good pairings for coverage.

Fire/Ice would also be the only viable combo out of those 3 as well, cause Fire/Rock would have crap defense against ground and water moves, and Fire/Bug with rock.

Fire/Ice is just as weak to Rock as Fire/Bug though

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I don't think Fire/Rock would be that bad if it was on something fast. If it's fast enough, it's unlikely to care about Water and Ground moves as much, because you can switch out with something like U-turn, or just attack first - Magcargo highlights all the massive flaws of the typing because it's so slow and is trying to be defensive. Fire/Rock doesn't have bad coverage either and usually Rock types get Ground coverage, Fire+Ground and Rock+Ground are both good pairings for coverage.

Fire/Ice is just as weak to Rock as Fire/Bug though
Ice shouldn't even be weak to rock though, that never made sense. Like what, rocks can chip at ice or whatever? Nah, if anything ice should be SE against rock, being able to swallow them whole.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ice splits rocks and carves canyons. if anything it should be one of the best types

and it is

just have ice moves and don't be part ice type

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
N is still the best character Pokemon has ever done in my eyes. He and Ghetsis were done so well and made Black and White easily the most enjoyable Pokemon story. I really doubt Game Freak will ever top it. X&Y and S&M were just awful, especially in the character department.
This screams nostalgia bias to me. Sun and Moon characters shit on BW characters from the highest of heights. Lusamine, Lillie, Guzma, and to a lesser extent Gladion and Kukui are way better than anyone from BW, N included. And that's not even taking into account the other great side characters

Jan 9, 2018
Guzma and Kukui were definitely cool af, but I'm not really sure how any of the Alolan characters compare to N. N was completely different from everything that was Pokemon from Generation 1 to 4, he was something new. But the important thing is that no character needs to be compared to him, or to each other all that much either. Like, so what if the Alolan cast didn't make you feel the way N made you feel, as long as they're all good characters and you know, actually make you feel something aside from apathy, they're good characters. And vice versa.

We need more good characters, that's all there is to it. I personally want a rival that makes me feel new or different things from previous characters in the new games, like Blue, Silver, N, and Gladion. And if possible, I'd like to see characters develop in interesting ways too, much like Blue or Cheren becoming Gym Leaders (not that I want that same thing repeated, it was done well twice as it is so we can stop now lol).

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
This screams nostalgia bias to me. Sun and Moon characters shit on BW characters from the highest of heights. Lusamine, Lillie, Guzma, and to a lesser extent Gladion and Kukui are way better than anyone from BW, N included. And that's not even taking into account the other great side characters
It's not nostalgia bias, I played the BW games for the first time last year. The only characters I liked from Sun and Moon were Guzma, Kukui, and Gladion. Lillie and Hau were the worst.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hau was a decent rival. this fetishization of asshole rivals seems to come from the lack of good rivals. but Barry was good. Cheren was ok. not really "rival" though. all of the Gen 6 friends were ass, though the other gendered protag had hints of being good, but didn't go anywhere until the near end and didn't have time to develop. Hau was fun and had presence, which can't be said about many of the other rivals.

Gladion wasn't even a rival, I don't know why people keep claiming he is one. he wasn't even an asshole either.

eathdemon

Oct 27, 2017
smash brothers ultamate, in japan, is the best selling smash, and my bet is it becomes best selling globally. I think is very possible gen 8 can get mainline sales not seen since red/blue if they play their cards right. I know that is a high number, but between dp, + pokemon go+ general hype for gen 8 being higher than I have seen for a new gen in years, I think its a real possibility if smash is anything to go by.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
saw this on /vp/ and now I have the strong desire to yell at my computer, hoping GF brings this back

tumblr_ndg4y3a9Wp1scncwdo1_500.gif

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If you keep telling people IM GOING TO CHARGE YOU TWO BILLION IF YOU DONT DO THIS THING you should feel attacked, thats annoying as shit

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't annoying, seems like people these days have unreasonably low tolerance for trivial things.

Seeing how i found it annoying back when i played Diamond at launch i dont see what "these days" have to do with it

It was as annoying as hugh's MY SISTERS PURLOINNNNN and Hau spouting about malasadas every minute, except that Barry is a better character (and rival) than both. Nothing major, but enough to prefer it to not be there. I don't see how the character would be worse without a catchphrase but you do you.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Soaring could be more easily implemented now that the region will already be fully 3D and we can already ride flying Pokémon, it'd be like Let's Go but with the free movement from ORAS. Not all hope is lost.

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Barry waa a good rival for Gen 4, after the terrible job Brendan/May and Wally did in Gen 3.

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
N is a fantastic character, and Ghetsis was a good hateable villain. Colress and Cheren were cool too. But outside of that, Gen 5 had really forgettable characters.

Sun and Moon had Guzma, Lillie, Lusamine, Gladion, Kukui, Nanu, Olivia, et cetera.

I also felt Hau was the best done of the "friendly" rivals. He actually felt like he was a sidekick along for the ride, rather than some random character I would bump into occasionally.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing wrong with the main character having friends and rivals. They just gotta be written well.
Unless they can let rivals win against you and let the story continue on, they'll continue to be useless in their intended purpose. They don't feel good to beat of I'm obligated to beat them every time. They're not a rival then, just a gate

Status
Not open for further replies.