• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Three different games so far in this grand finals match-up have had to be reset, live, after technical issues prevented the players from battling. Unfortunately that means the competitors awkwardly scanning a QR code from eachother's devices while the casters try to vamp.

To be honest, this whole grand finals match has been a beautiful showcase of Pokemon GO's trademark jank. The game just isn't ready for that kind of spotlight. It's embarrassing. And it's not the first time the game has been embarrassed like this.

sRebl3K.gif

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
World Championships

People compete in this

Really

I thought it was like a help you get off your ass thing, or something you can look at while you walk the dog

OP
OP
Miller

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
World Championships

People compete in this

Really

I thought it was like a help you get off your ass thing, or something you can look at while you walk the dog

This is the first time Pokemon GO has been brought to the Pokemon World Championships (which typically feature the video game, the card game, and more recently Pokken.)

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is the first time Pokemon Go's had such a big esports setup like this, it definitely is mostly a get-off-your-ass thing.

Even when the game's working mostly fine there are still plenty of unfortunate issues, like having to tap several times on the charge move button after you fill up its meter to trigger it because of UI/network lag. You could see a lot of that kind of thing throughout the tournament.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see the finals, but the matches have been fine leading up to it. Nothing too be too worried about, but I figured there would be some kind of Lan play

OP
OP
Miller

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't see the finals, but the matches have been fine leading up to it. Nothing too be too worried about, but I figured there would be some kind of Lan play

Even when the game's working mostly fine there are still plenty of unfortunate issues, like having to tap several times on the charge move button after you fill up its meter to trigger it because of UI/network lag. You could see a lot of that kind of thing throughout the tournament.

I agree with chrominance here. It was sloppy from the get go, only reaching the point of obvious embarrassment during the finals. Congratulations to the winner (team instinct and a Canadian!) none the less, but yeah, the game ain't ready. 3 years later. Woof

And I haven't even touched on the "GPS signal not found (10)" error plastered on top of the screen constantly

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you just tap the button in the middle of the screen over and over, like one button? Is there more to it, or am I just watching two people do that if I watch these finals?

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I cant watch the video but I am hoping its as awkward as the last time they had a Smash tourney and had to cut away anytime a participant started lagging. LOL.

OP
OP
Miller

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Don't you just tap the button in the middle of the screen over and over, like one button? Is there more to it, or am I just watching two people do that if I watch these finals?

There is indeed more to it. Not a ton, though. It was wise of them to burn through the entire Pokemon GO tournament on day 1

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Go is nowhere near technically stable enough to be an esport. The game is great, and in a really good place right now compared to at launch, but the technical issues are rampart. I honestly don't see how anyone could consider it competitive when even basic functionlity like UI buttons actually responding isn't consistently working.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
And I haven't even touched on the "GPS signal not found (10)" error plastered on top of the screen constantly

This right here actually bothered me the most. Seeing that fat red banner in almost every single match was just embarrassing.
That's Niantic for you, nothing more to say.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

You tap on the screen for quick attacks. Charge moves are activated by pressing an on-screen button, and then a little minigame appears where you try to hit as many icons on the screen as possible in five seconds or so. Depending on the element of the charge move, the pattern of icons is different.