• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
VentureBeat said:
Pokémon Go may not be all over the mainstream news anymore, but the location-based mobile game is still a big hit. The augmented reality title has its largest player base since summer 2016, which was during when Pokémon Go launched on July 6. This is according to a new report from the market analysis firm SuperData Research.
Although the game fell off after that first summer, developer Niantic has been able to build a strong player base with constant updates to the game, including the addition of more Pokémon and new features like trading. According to SuperData, Pokémon Go earned $104 million in May. This is up 174 percent from the same period last year.
The game was the No. 4 highest-earning mobile title worldwide in May, according to SuperData. It was behind, in order, Honour of Kings (a Chinese MOBA that is soon coming to the Switch as Arena of Valor), QQ Speed (a Chinese kart racer), and Fantasy Westward Journey (a Chinese mobile multiplayer online role-playing game). That makes Pokémon Go the top non-Chinese mobile game.
Source: https://venturebeat.com/2018/06/26/pokemon-go-has-its-most-players-since-summer-2016/

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats good for them

Pokemon lets go is going to do numbers.
I feel sorry for everyone who hates it.
The success is going to hurt your soul

#Haiku

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
My girlfriend is still all about it. They keep updating with more Pokemon and more features, so no incentive for her to really move on.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Quick, someone point the (insufferable, I must say) thread about "why are they making Pokemon Go Switch games??" here! ;)

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen several dozen people return to the game recently thanks to the Let'd Go announcement.

Niantic has done a really good job with the recent events and new updates. New Friendship, trading, Quests and Weather all great things.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna bet the new switch games helped out a bit.... I'd play if i got a better phone (my current phone is an old phone and i'm saving money up for something nice to upgrade to)

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I've also noticed a pretty significant uptick in my friends either playing for the first time or getting back into it. Haven't played it since launch, but good to see that it's still doing well. My boss is part of a local Discord group that goes out and plays together. Nice way to stay social and get some sun/exercise. :)

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
My wife plays this still and loves it. I enjoy it too, specially during community event days where everyone's out and about @ our local university campus and it turns into a very cool group activity. I see people of all ages playing :)

She can't wait for Let's Go, obviously. I really want to try the co-op, best feature by far IMO :D

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
It hard to blame nintendo for taking the series in this direction with those numbers.

I guess it doesnt matters how well a game sells, it can always sell more going mobile and F2P.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised. I started playing it again after the Let's Go games got announced. Mainly to circumvent whatever version-specific Pokemon are in each game, and to get a Mew without forking out for the Pokeball Plus, but yeah.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So Let's Go announcement renewed interest in Pokemon Go?

Let's Go is going to wreck shit in December.
I don't think that's necessarily it. The addition of trading and friends and more things to do in recent weeks has renewed interest in the game.
Thats good for them

#Haiku
It will do about as well as every other remake in the series.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I started playing again after the announcement of Let's Go and I was also surprised at the sheer number of people who still play.
I don't think that's necessarily it. The addition of trading and friends and more things to do in recent weeks has renewed interest in the game.
Those things happened like 3 days ago...

IceyD

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
It was fun when the pokemon actually resided in certain areas. But they changed it to be more random, is that still the case?

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Level 35 here, I was off of it for awhile, but the community day and tasks stuff has kind of pulled me back in. I've only spent real money on it once early on since I use credit I get from Google Rewards and also gym coins to pay for everything. It's a fun little thing, I feel like some people take it too seriously though and tend to ruin it for people who just tend to use it as something to occupy their time while they get outside and walk.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those players are going to be annoyed when they learn they can't transfer 2/3rds of their Pokemon to let's go.

And that those they do transfer are one way only. With only a single Pokemon that can be transferred back.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Thats good for them

#Haiku

I wasn't aware of this few months ago, like omg Pokémon fans need to chill out a bit, even the outrage for Pokémon Quest (a casual mobile game, no one should have had high expectations on that one) was ridiculous.

Having said that I'm not playing Let's Go, even though it could be a good game for a comeback.

I realized that I used to love Pokémon for its "hardcore" part, including wild pokemon battles, while Pokémon Go is just not for me.

I'm playing SMT Liberation Dx2 now on mobile and man, I keep thinking how big it would be this type of gameplay using the Pokemon franchise.

Whenever Pokémon Go dies, they should make that.

Last edited:

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People have def been gradually be coming back to the game for some time now. Esp with Weather system and Quests. But I feel like the Let's Go announcement was the biggest thing. Mainly as so many people in our Pokemon Go OT have literally said that is why they came back to the game.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
They didn't happen out of the blue. Content has been added gradually for some time, and quests were added a little while back.

It's certainly possible. The opposite is, as well.
It doesn't even seem like the remakes sell much worse, at least not on 3DS. If it matches any of the 3DS games I'd say that's a pretty big success.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lol. I am also back to Pokemon Go since Lets Go announcement....... and some of my girl friends also begin to return to Go lol. As they see the news on Lets GO.O_O

Of course the trading patch is also huge.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I got back into it even before Let's Go was announced.

Because I started walking with my infant daughter in the stroller for like 1-2 hours a day. We hatch so many eggs.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't played this, but I preordered Let's Go. I wonder if I'll enjoy the latter without having played/connected with Pokemon Go.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Could've seen this coming.

I don't think Let's Go is going to be for me or most of the people here, but I think it's going to be huge for a ton of people who don't usually play retail Pokemon games. Guess we'll see.

Anteo

Oct 25, 2017
Lets go announcement was actually big. I dont follow gaming people on twitter, and even then i saw a tweet with tons of retweets that started with "now that a new pokemon go has been announced..", made me realize how different the casual players think about that announcement

Magicpork

Oct 28, 2017
also noticed a very significant uptick in user activities/revenue since May, the announcement of Let's Go definitely helped but more importantly the game itself is in a much better state than it was at launch.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I started playing it again after the let's go announcement. Am pretty hyped for the let's go games now and hope it will sell gangbusters.... there is room for it and the core game next year...both series can coexist in the future

MrChocolate

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Would be great if the battle system was reworked, other than that, the game is in the best state ever. It finally should be called v1.0

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Could've seen this coming.

I don't think Let's Go is going to be for me or most of the people here, but I think it's going to be huge for a ton of people who don't usually play retail Pokemon games. Guess we'll see.
The question, from my perspective, is can Nintendo convince Go players to buy a Switch, a copy of the game, and the Pokeball controller. We're talking converting free to play players into consumers who drop around $400 upfront.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Not surprised the updates they have been doing for the last few months have been solid. Have some friends who got back into the game and they have actually started making weekend plans around the community events.

kaisere

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The question, from my perspective, is can Nintendo convince Go players to buy a Switch, a copy of the game, and the Pokeball controller. We're talking converting free to play players into consumers who drop around $400 upfront.

A significant percentage of those free to play players drop similar amounts on the game. The catching mechanic can be pretty predatory if youre playing a lot, you wont get enough balls from stops to outpace how many break out.