• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
They don't want people cheating in their online, somewhat competitive game. I think it's fully reasonable that they check to make sure people aren't cheating. It'd be better if they were more upfront and transparent about it.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
It's infuriating how android devs lock everyone with root out of games, instead of implementing proper anticheat. Even singleplayer games do this shit. I just want a functioning night light filter, and adblock, and better battery life, and being able to delete useless preinstalled apps, and everything else that comes with rooting my phone.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
It's infuriating how android devs lock everyone with root out of games, instead of implementing proper anticheat. Even singleplayer games do this shit. I just want a functioning night light filter, and adblock, and better battery life, and being able to delete useless preinstalled apps, and everything else that comes with rooting my phone.
It is pretty stupid that Android has always been marketed as an "open-source, customizable OS", and now all of the apps are allowed to treat you like a criminal and lock you out for making use of that functionality. I've had to just give up on rooting new phones because no Nintendo or banking apps will even load up if it detects it.

It doesn't even make sense, because:
  1. All the important monetizable app features are stored server-side. What do they think you can even do with rooting? You can't "steal" server-side transactions, or add krazy moneyz to ur bank balance, or anything ridiculous like that.
  2. You can do things like cheat and steal paid APKs without rooting at all. In fact, most of the PoGO cheat programs I've seen people use don't even require root. You can just download a GPS spoofing app or an auto-walker and you're good to go. Blocking root is not even solving the problem.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't the warning message shown when the game detects root on Android count?
AFAIK very few games actually say that they won't let you play because of root. Nintendo's games for example corrupt your local save and give you an ambiguous error, and the article seems to show Pokemon Go similarly lying about why you can't play. Cowards.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
AFAIK very few games actually say that they won't let you play because of root. Nintendo's games for example corrupt your local save and give you an ambiguous error, and the article seems to show Pokemon Go similarly lying about why you can't play. Cowards.
Ah, but I guess they have reasons why they need to do that, even if it's contrary.

Oct 25, 2017
with mrs. glitches
0.115.3 APK mining has shown a new entry for a permission that "Allows read only access to phone state, including the phone number of the device, current cellular network information, the status of any ongoing calls, and a list of any PhoneAccounts registered on the device." Might be looking for some other tell tale signs of cheating.

This is on top of this update being buggy as all heck.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
They don't want people cheating in their online, somewhat competitive game. I think it's fully reasonable that they check to make sure people aren't cheating. It'd be better if they were more upfront and transparent about it.
Wouldn't they avoid transparency to make their defense methods more unknown, and thus, more difficult to crack?