• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
Only problem is that shinies in GO are too common and they will now be transferable to mainline games.

I mean this is a good thing for people who do have a hard time getting shiny Pokémon in the main game, especially if you don't breed.

I personally don't care and am just happy I get to transfer my Pokémon over to a central hub.

I just resubbed on pokebank so I hope that if there is a sub for this it overlaps.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope they stop doing the bullshit thing where they delete all your Pokémon if you don't keep subbing

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
As someone who is out of the loop (as in I play every Pokemon but it's just me playing the campaign and extra and that's it), you can still do local pokemon transfers to whoever is sitting besides you for free, right? I have a nephew who's getting interested in Pokemon and I'd love to transfer him my interesting pokemon after I'm done with my games.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Remember, only SWSH has back and forth connectivity with it. Everything else is "put in Home and be done with it"

As someone who is out of the loop (as in I play every Pokemon but it's just me playing the campaign and extra and that's it), you can still do local pokemon transfers to whoever is sitting besides you for free, right? I have a niece who's getting interested in Pokemon and I'd love to transfer him my interesting pokemon after I'm done with my games.
That's correct :)

Nihilego_Khu

Mar 12, 2018
When the internet service of 3ds is shut down, does that mean that the pokemon from gen1-7 is blocked away from the future games forever?

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I have my XY,ORAS and Sun/Moon Pokemon stored on Bank but my sub expired as i have sold my 3ds and the games over a year ago. I assum that i will be able to log in and retrieve them on SWSH?

Last edited:

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Was it said how much storage this will have? Bank is 3000 iirc. I have my living dex in Bank, which I would likely send over to Home if there's space.

Good to hear I can send over my shinies from GO too. I was thinking they might be stuck on there.

Nihilego_Khu

Mar 12, 2018
Gen 1 is covered by Let's Go and GO will probably have all 7 generations by then.

It is also probable that the Switch will get Virtual Console versions of the earlier games.
If they don't introduce VC version in recent years, im afraid that some special ones with special moves/abilities will be impossible if you don't get all the resources to transfer into the newest games in time. LGPE and Go ain't enough because they dont share the same TMs such as fissure.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
If they don't introduce VC version in recent years, im afraid that some special ones with special moves/abilities will be impossible if you don't get all the resources to transfer into the newest games in time. LGPE and Go ain't enough because they dont share the same TMs such as fissure.
Hopefully Sw/Sh will have the lacking TMs.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
will online trading work in sw/sh without the use of pokemon home? or do you have to transfer pokemon to home and then trade?

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
It connects to Poke Bank? Dammit we are never going to get rid of those legacy hacked Pokemon from the GBA/DS days floating around the community.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I'm excited, though I wish it came out earlier. I know in all the past generations the transfer apps always become available until the following year, and it's usually just a few months, but still it's gonna feel like a long wait for me T__T

Also, I'm kinda sad this, not necessarily, but pretty much confirms that once again we won't get the National Pokédex on SwSh. I think it's fine that Poké Bank and now Pokémon Home have their own massive Pokédex with all the versions and stuff, but the main games should have their own too. It just sucks to have only regional Pokémon with a random number and the rest of the Pokémon with no number at all. It just looks so odd.

And filling the National Pokédex was part of the achievements on each game. If so, I just wish that at least the Pokémon Home Pokédex has the feature to see the 3D models in every angle and animations and stuff and not just the 2D sprites the PokéBank got

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I guess there wasn't a single screenshot shown? I kind of hope Nintendo makes it visually like a Pokémon Lab that your character from Sw/Sh visits.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
It connects to Poke Bank? Dammit we are never going to get rid of those legacy hacked Pokemon from the GBA/DS days floating around the community.

That was kind of the whole point of Pokémon Bank. All that time and effort they put on those apps, and all the time and money we spent to bring Pokémon all the way from GameCube and GBA games and even virtual console, through all the DS and 3DS games, only to get them stuck in Gen VII forever?

The worst thing they could do at this point is to stop compatibility with older generations as they once did with Gen III.

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Pokemon Sleep, Pokemon Masters, that recent Pokemon blocky game and this service, Nintendo is doing a lot with Pokemon.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
That was kind of the whole point of Pokémon Bank. All that time and effort they put on those apps, and all the time and money we spent to bring Pokémon all the way from GameCube and GBA games and even virtual console, through all the DS and 3DS games, only to get them stuck in Gen VII forever?

The worst thing they could do at this point is to stop compatibility with older generations as they once did with Gen III.
I was actually all up for a full reset and everyone starting over with the Go era and up if it meant that it significantly lowered the chance of hacked Pokemon floating around again.

It's all the same I guess it just means that I will not be wonder trading again and I have to treat everyone like a criminal again because I have to scrutinize every Pokemon that gets traded to me in order to avoid hacks.

But why do I really care if The Pokemon Company doesn't? I don't know really know and it's sad that they don't crack down on hacks in the VGC scene but The Pokemon Company International DOES crack down on cheaters in the TCG scene.
I was hoping The Pokemon Company would take things more seriously so I can take the VGC scene more seriously but I see no indication of that happening so I guess I'll continue to stick to the competitive TCG scene.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they'll update every system they have but they'll keep that shirty pokemon global link as it is. Having to go to a slow and ugly website to be able to participate in online matches is stupid.
I actually think the Global Link this time is going to become part of the Nintendo Switch Online app. It just makes sense, as that way you won't have to mess around with game sync and remember a user login / password.

Similar to how SplatNet on Splatoon 1 was its own self contained service but now resides in the app.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've always thought one-way transfer was a bummer, sad to see it back again.
I love what they're doing with Bank compatibility though, I didn't expect that.

ferroseed168

Aug 8, 2018
I have my XY,ORAS and Sun/Moon Pokemon stored on Bank but my sub expired as i have sold my 3ds and the games over a year ago. I assum that i will be able to log in and retrieve them on SWSH?
Unfortunately I think they delete the stored Pokémon after a while. I'm not sure sure what the exact grace period was but I'm pretty sure that it was less than a year. It's a really crappy thing of them to do. Wonder how many people put their Pokémon from way back into Bank and just forgot to ever take them out before their membership expired

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was actually all up for a full reset and everyone starting over with the Go era and up if it meant that it significantly lowered the chance of hacked Pokemon floating around again.

It's all the same I guess it just means that I will not be wonder trading again and I have to treat everyone like a criminal again because I have to scrutinize every Pokemon that gets traded to me in order to avoid hacks.

But why do I really care if The Pokemon Company doesn't? I don't know really know and it's sad that they don't crack down on hacks in the VGC scene but The Pokemon Company International DOES crack down on cheaters in the TCG scene.
I was hoping The Pokemon Company would take things more seriously so I can take the VGC scene more seriously but I see no indication of that happening so I guess I'll continue to stick to the competitive TCG scene.

There's already hacked Pokemon in Pokemon Let's Go. The Switch is completely opened in terms of homebrew and hacking, and most hacked Pokemon these days are impossible to distinguished from legit ones. Like, I have multiple perfect IV pumpkaboo, one of which is shiny, in my Pokemon bank after weeks of breeding. Someone can easily hack in the same thing with little to no effort and it would look completely legit. There's no way around it, even Sword and Shield will have a ton of hacked Pokemon, I'd imagine.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's obvious. There's no way around it.

Transforming a Pokémon to its past gen data model is a destructive process; data is lost in the process. That's why it will never be possible.

Pokemon Gold and Silver got around this by preventing sending Pokemon with new data that wasn't present in Gen 1.

It's obviously way more in-depth and harder to manage these days with 800+ Pokemon across like 8 Gens but it's not impossible.

I know why they didn't do it, I just think its a bummer.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Gold and Silver got around this by preventing sending Pokemon with new data that wasn't present in Gen 1.

It's obviously way more in-depth and harder to manage these days with 800+ Pokemon across like 8 Gens but it's not impossible.

I know why they didn't do it, I just think its a bummer.
It's impossible because every Pokémon has new data. It's not about new moves or items, it's about the internal Pokémon data that doesn't exist in past gens (for example Hyper Training stats). Every single Pokémon has it.

Quintus

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
Is this going to be free? If so then that's amazing I'll finally be able to dabble in transferring Pokemon to the newer games.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
There's already hacked Pokemon in Pokemon Let's Go. The Switch is completely opened in terms of homebrew and hacking, and most hacked Pokemon these days are impossible to distinguished from legit ones. Like, I have multiple perfect IV pumpkaboo, one of which is shiny, in my Pokemon bank after weeks of breeding. Someone can easily hack in the same thing with little to no effort and it would look completely legit. There's no way around it, even Sword and Shield will have a ton of hacked Pokemon, I'd imagine.

There is one way I can imagine Nintendo can for cracking down on the hacks in Pokemon Games but it involves a practice I don't agree with it or support.

Online DRM!

Just think about and always online check would make sure nobody is running CFW while playing the game and they can do some sort of online verification on your Pokemon that you caught or hatched that would make them legal for tournament play.

But other than making a secure OS for once and killing all backwards compatibility than I guess hacks in Pokemon games are here to stay.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, now I actually feel pretty fucking bummed I lost all my legendary Pokémons plus a thousand others when my Pokémon Bank subscription lapsed for 5 days.