• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I know that there's a lot of people out there super excited about Sword and Shield, but as someone who plays other RPGs on the Switch and someone who has played a shit ton of Pokemon in the past, I can't help but feel that these games look like Sun and Moon, upscaled and nothing more.

I was execting a leap in graphical fidelity and detail, but instead we get this as the huge "reveal":

Pokemon-Sword-and-Shield-Screenshot-E3-2019-3.jpg

The idea of a large open area with a 3-d camera the player can rotate around and you can see Pokemon in the wild.

Ok I get it. This is a big moment for people used to 3DS games. But listen, this shit isn't impressive ok. Flat ground with poor texturing over a large, mostly empty space isn't exactly impressive. This would have been impressive on the 3DS I suppose, but this very generation we've seen open RPGs done BETTER on the switch already.

WAY better.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-2-01.jpg

I know that they are also massively cutting back the number of Pokemon in the game due to adding extra animations etc. to each monster.

Um......EXCUSE ME??

Forgive my French, but the Pokemon models look hardly any different than the 3DS games. Again, just upscaled.

medium_Switch_Pokemon-SwordShield_12.jpg

Overall I can't help but think that GameFreak is overwhelmed by new hardware and REALLY REALLY wish they could stick to 480 output display and lowered expectations. Because I'm not seeing any risk taking. I'm not seeing any jumps in narrative or presentation.

I'm seeing a game that you could have released 6 years ago and I would have thought it looked a lot like Pokemon X and Y.

I'm sure I'll buy one of these games eventually, but forgive me for not jumping out of my seat about it.

Last edited:

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
If I would assume the worst i'd say this is it but i'm not gonna assume the worst and wait till release.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I can get the above in native resolution, not super blurry and pixelated like XC2, I'll take it. I'd much rather simpler visuals at native resolution than 360p with fancier visuals.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep saying these games look like the 3DS games upressed? Even if you don't like how these games look it obviously looks better than that.

Also, Xenoblade 2 had a ton of issues with it's resolution and framerate.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
GameFreak is poorly managed and needs to expand or at least be willing to contract grunt work like preparing models (which are the sames from Gen 6). They're a decade behind other developers and those at the top of the company who are holding them back need to swallow their pride.

Oct 25, 2017
My expectations were so low that the open world segment being in made me pretty happy. Was honestly expecting fixed camera and for it to look like the 3DS games in HD.

A bit disappointed in the models, after so much "it runs poorly on 3DS because it's future proofed", it got outdated pretty quickly.
Even with the cell shading they added and having to cut out Pokémon due to adding animations, they don't look great.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
This is their first big HD game and they still have a small staff. You can't expect them to make a Xenoblade with their first HD game.

Just like many Japanese developers last Gen, they struggle with the transition.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Gamefreak can't even get all of the titular pokemon in the half ass graphics they're using for sword and shield, you expect them to make the graphics even better too? They're completely unprepared and are being exposed hard.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
And you can freely move the camera now? The game has an open world? The extra power has been used. This wouldn't be possible on the 3Ds

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
All I want is a new Pokemon Colosseum, but that one feels like a rad game that sort of sneaked past the cracks and would never get made today lol

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is not an impressive game at all lmao. And in handheld mode it is a fucking atrocity.

I like the look of Sword/Shield a lot. And it'll look great on the handheld screen.

Also saying it looks like XY? Fuck outta here dude.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A friend said to me today that Game Freak is the Yuke's of Nintendo Games, and I didn't have any argument to deny that

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
People hate to read this but GF has been way too complacent for decades and it finally catched up to them.

Pokemon's decline begins now. If it didn't already.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I think context is pretty key here. You are comparing Pokemon, developed by a team that works on handheld systems primarily, to Xenoblade, developed by Monolith who regularly make console games.

I think saying it looks like an uprezzed Sun/Moon is pretty silly. There is a clear upgrade.

Weird take tbh.

AxeVince

Oct 26, 2017
Cause Devs who have worked on Low Def for years surely will be able to tackle HD on their first try in a few years of development.
Going from one to another takes time and the artists have to adapt *a lot* to change their artstyle to what you are expecting.
And, maybe you want high def and super real graphics but, the main target, kids, don't care about that.
People need to stop thinking every game is made only for them and then complain when they don't like the direction some devs took.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't buy the 3ds could run this game, those environments are large and lively with the different pokemon

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade 2 isn't a great showcase, I feel.
It was a rushed and heavily outsourced year one switch title.
Here's what the main Monolith Soft team did as their first HD game on Wii U
large.jpg

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
And all for the low, low price of 60 dollars!

Don't you just love Nintendo and their pricing?

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Game Freak being Game Freak I honestly wouldn't even care about the graphics if it had all 800+ Pokemon. But now we have neither, and the game costs $60...
NQjgc89.gif

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
People whine and in the end it will still sell upwards to 10 million.
Just give it up nothing but a huge dip in sales will change their course. Pretty sure they've made clear they don't give a rats ass about player feedback.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Game Freak being Game Freak I honestly wouldn't even care about the graphics if it had all 800 Pokemon. But now we have neither, and the game costs $60...
NQjgc89.gif
The only reason why we're here being overly critical of the graphical and animation quality of Sword and Shield is due to their excuse to why Pokemon are getting snapped. Go back a week before the announcement and you'd see people pilled even for the slightest critique of the games visuals.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (lttp) and although is not an incredibly beautiful game (as it's predecessor was) there are some parts of the overworld that take my breath away. However I haven't been able to fully enjoy it because every time I see something remarkable I can't help but to think "damn it, if only Pokemon looked this good".

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
the texture in Xenoblade's environments look awful especially in handheld mode. It also had a load of performance issues at launch because there was often just too much going on. Sometimes less is more. The Pokemon screenshot looks fine.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gamefreak has been phoning this series in for years. They lucked into a addictive hook of gameplay and they've basically pushed out half assed games surrounding that hook ever since. Don't expect anything that the bare minimum from these guys, and further, why should they bother when people lap this stuff up in droves?

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I agree that Sword/Shield does look underwhelming as a Switch game.

But Xenoblade 2 isnt right game to compare lol. It drops to 350p and 15 fps.

Do Mario Odyssey instead. It's visuals are better than Sword/Shield, while being 60 fps AT THE SAME TIME. They're running laps around Game Freak.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I planned on getting it, but the screenshots just bore me. It's crazy how flat and lifeless it is for such a huge franchise.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
As opposed to the pricing for retail games from other other publisher?

These days a full priced game needs to work for that full price. Either that means being on the top half side graphically, or have the game be filled with a large amount of content.

From what I've seen/heard of SwSh, it has comparable content to the latest 3DS Pokémon games, all of which are priced at 40 USD.
Hell, Let's Go had less content then most recent pokemon games but was also priced at 60 entirely because "It's a console game".

Nintendo has an issue with lowering their game prices away from the full 60. Hell, remember the Tropical Freeze fiasco with them removing it (temporarily, I think) from the WIi U store while the game was about to release on the Switch? And then also charging the full 60 for the port?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
gamefreak got caught with their pants down now that their is no low power hardware for them to develop for.

Superking

Oct 25, 2017
You'd think that this being your first ever HD console game for the most successful gaming IP in history, would make the developers want to go all out and show the world what they're made of. But I guess not.

Otherist

Oct 27, 2017
England
I genuinely do not think you're ever going to see a Pokemon game that resembles a detailed, luscious RPG with a beautifully realised 3D world. Or indeed one that actually looks like it's maxing out the technology. I can't even imagine it really. Those things take effort, and it seems obvious to me that this is not a high-effort franchise, at least not by today's standards.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
These days a full priced game needs to work for that full price. Either that means being on the top half side graphically, or have the game be filled with a large amount of content.

From what I've seen/heard of SwSh, it has comparable content to the latest 3DS Pokémon games, all of which are priced at 40 USD.
Hell, Let's Go had less content then most resent pokemon games but was also priced at 60 entirely because "It's a console game".

Nintendo has an issue with lowering their game prices away from the full 60. Hell, remember the Tropical Freeze fiasco with them removing it (temporarily, I think) from the WIi U store while the game was about to release on the Switch? And then also charging the full 60 for the port?

Nintendo produce top quality games for that price. Pokemon games have a lot of content in them and can be played for hundreds of hours.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Too many people want to give GameFreak excuses because of their history as a developer instead of seeing them competing against other AAA $60 console developers and seeing how many faults they have. There are too many people saying things like "well it's their first HD title" as an excuse ignoring that they're selling TWO full priced Switch games. GameFreak is positioning their games to be sold in the same space as any other AAA RPG developer on the Switch and the gulf in quality between something like Xenoblades and SwSh is honestly embarrassing and they purposefully got rid of their only real way to excuse that, lots and lots of Pokemon to manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.