• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where do you stand?

• All Pokemon can shrink

Votes: 256 40.4%
  • It's the Pokeballs that make Pokemon shrink

Votes: 378 59.6%

• Total voters

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Early on in the PLA, the obligatory professor of the region makes this statement and its sending Pokemon fans in fervent debate:

FKJCEcrXoAE28c4

Wait, is that how it works? The common consensus for the last 25+ years is that it's the pokeballs that shrunk Pokemon down to size to fit in them but they can do it themselves? They can always do that? I mean it makes sense that some of them can change their bodies at will like Ditto, but... all of them?

Some manga adaptations somewhat depict this as the case but this is the first time a mainline entry actually explicitly makes this statement. Though even the character above has his doubts what with the limited knowledge on how Pokemon works in the ancient setting of the game, but some fans are still finding evidence in adaptations and the mainline game's canon to argue for and against shrinking Pokemon.

What do you think? Personally I think Game Freak was always leaning into this with how the 3D games would depict even wild Pokemon shrinking when they're knocked out in battle.

1c1.gif

Last edited:

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
...so, like, when you try to catch a wild Pokemon, the Pokeball triggers a response in them that causes their shrinking ability to involuntarily happen? That almost seems more unintentionally horrific than before.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I call bullshit

He just doesn't understand the quantum mechanics of Pokeballs, the science wasn't there back then

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I hung on that for a while lol. To think what makes one a Pokémon is the ability to shrink down.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
You know, if those fainting animations are supposed to be literal, it actually makes sense why you can't just chuck a Poke Ball after knocking them out. They're too small to hit!

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
'Ancient setting' but that guy is wearing a regular old lab coat the fuck is this? Been on blackout of this game. I kinda didn't need to know the deep lore to be honest when they try to hard it starts sounding like it's written by children rather than for children.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah that line is stupid as fuck and I had to read it twice when the professor said it. We've been with this franchise for like 25 years, this shit didn't need an explanation.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
Just gonna quote myself to add that this is in fact old lore:

Pokemon shrinking has been a part of the lore since the red and green days!

also notice how they shrink when you faint em in the 3d games. same deal?

first time it's been mentioned in-game though, and it's def an obscure bit of lore to bring back into the forefront like this. it's neat

Not that that should mean people should've been aware of it! Never mentioned in-game. But I like that it's been a thing before.
And it also reminds me of this old concept art. Just a lil guy jumping out of the ball. In general this all just gives me gen 1 era pokemon lore vibes, I really like it

Pretty sure the modern pokeball digitizes em though, so you can say it's a different type of mechanic at work there.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
'Ancient setting' but that guy is wearing a regular old lab coat the fuck is this? Been on blackout of this game. I kinda didn't need to know the deep lore to be honest when they try to hard it starts sounding like it's written by children rather than for children.
It's not an ancient setting, it's supposed to imitate the Meiji Restoration and Japan's colonization of Hokkaido in the 1860s.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If only there was a way to ask Arceus directly, haha.
It was safe to assume it was the Pokéball since it is rather high-tech, then there's the PC boxes stuff as well.
It's spoilers, even the trailers didn't show the beginning of the game.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
It's okay to not give game mechanics in-universe lore reasons. Sometime a game mechanic is just a game mechanic.

On the other had, it's so silly and funny. I hear a slide whistle imaging it.

Mr. President

Oct 27, 2017
The guy is a 19th century naturalist, his grasp of science is limited.
Pokemon shrink because of the Poke Ball.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I only played Yellow & Blue, so am by no means an expert - but I assumed pokeballs used a mattter -> energy system kinda like the transporters in Star Trek

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Why are people hung up about this?

It's not even the first time its mentioned. Do people just now notice due to the Professor stating it so you cant miss it?

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
This actually sounds more fucked up, it confirms you actually do put them in a small claustrophobic prison

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The "no the pokeballs do it, it's just a long time ago and he's misinformed" arguments don't seem to take into effect the fact that you can craft your own pokeballs in this game and they're basically made out of nuts and grass or some shit, there's no incredible technology there.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more interested in that stupid beanie that dude has on

Why is the pompom on top bigger than his head

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Lucian in DPPT-

"...Ah, hello. You're here to read, too? Books are wonderful things. The thoughts of people written in books stretch beyond time and space. I was just reading a collection of observations on Pokémon in the wild. One article addresses the question why Pokémon would go into a Poké Ball. According to this article, this behavior is based on instinct. A weakened Pokémon will curl up tight in an effort to heal itself. The Poké Ball was invented to take advantage of that protective instinct. I imagine we'll see each other again at the Pokémon League. Take care."

Also Pokemon are consistently shown to shrink in every gen when returning to their pokeballs in gen1-6 from what I saw. I always thought it was the pokeball too but maybe GF just did a bad job at explaining it since that book mentions it in 1996.

But also let's be real, this is them covering their ass because they still want to do the wild pokemon shrink into the ground thing.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Do Pokemon fans just have to find ANYTHING to complain about until the next game comes out, or..
Seriously? This it just a lore thing that's been seemingly established one way for decades and people are having that shattered. It isn't "finding things to complain about" and I bet basically no one thinks this affects the quality of the game.