• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to Fils-Aimé, "the pre-sale trends for both of these titles are tracking to the best we've ever seen on Nintendo Switch. The consumer engagement through all of our digital activity has been exceptionally strong." Early reviews of Pokemon: Let's Go ahead of release are positive, too, which bodes well for Nintendo, especially given that the Pokémon title was likely the riskier sell to fans. It's both the first real console Pokémon game and one that is radically different from more traditional games in the series.

SOURCE

That Smash is tracking well is something we have known for a while now, but it is interesting to see that Reggie also highlights Pokemon as tracking better than any other Nintendo Switch game yet. Maybe it will do well in spite of Era's misgivings/strongest hopes and prayers after all?

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so curious about early Smash sales. It must be ballin out in digital pre-orders

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
Shocking news. The other big release after launch was SM Odissey.

Smash is going to be huge.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Literally no shit. They are fucking Pokémon and Smash coming in the first holiday season without supply constraints.

Nintendo's only worry is having enough space for the money they are about to get.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I guess Let's Go sales picked up closer to launch after reports of pre-orders lagging behind previous entries.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would be more surprising to me if Pokémon wasn't shaping up to do well. Say what you will about the game's design choices, the Switch is a big market and Pokémon is a big name. It's gonna do very well.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Definitely curious to see that, was expecting Pokémon to be somewhat lower than Super Mario Odyssey in terms of preorder performance.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
People have to understand that even the worst people here still think Pokémon will sell like hotcakes.

Low sales for a Pokémon still mean ridiculous sales for everything else

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It would be more surprising to me if Pokémon wasn't shaping up to do well. Say what you will about the game's design choices, the Switch is a big market and Pokémon is a big name. It's gonna do very well.
Literally no shit. They are fucking Pokémon and Smash coming in the first holiday season without supply constraints.
There were reports that Let's Go's pre-orders were less than stellar for a Pokémon game, hence the concern.

I still don't think that Let's Go will beat new generation numbers, especially with Gen 8 on the horizon to cut Let's Go's legs short. But I do believe that Let's Go will do great compared to the other remakes.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The three best selling Switch games right now are:
  • Super Mario Odyssey - 12.17 million
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 11.71 million
  • Breath of the Wild - 10.28 million
What are our predictions, Era? How will Smash and Pokémon stack up?

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Shocking news. The other big release after launch was SM Odissey.

Smash is going to be huge.

Definitely curious to see that, was expecting Pokémon to be somewhat lower than Super Mario Odyssey in terms of preorder performance.
There were confirmations from insiders that Pokemon pre-orders weren't doing too hot, which led to the actually substantiated concerns that it may actually (relatively) underperform.

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon will be the best selling game on the system. I think it's the Switch's Wii Sports moment.

Smash will track near MK8D.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There were confirmations from insiders that Pokemon pre-orders weren't doing too hot, which led to the actually substantiated concerns that it may actually (relatively) underperform.
Yeah, that's why I am surprised it is apparently tracking better than SMO.SMO did over 9 million units in its first quarter. If Pokémon is tracking better than that in preorders, it's not at all inconceivable that it will ship more than 10 million by the end of the year (December 31st).

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
For Pokémon, there are three tiers of sales numbers...
  1. New Generation
  2. Remake
  3. Third Version
I'm expecting Let's Go to fall under the 2nd tier, maybe a little higher, but still below the first tier.

As for Smash Ultimate, I do expect it to be the best-selling entry for the series in the long-term.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
What does mean uderperform for Pokemon? Under 10 M ? Under 15? Under 5? Worse than Sun and Moon? Without context "underperform" means nothing.

Because Pokemon pre orders could be higher than Zelda for example but still bad for Nintendo internal forecasts.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You'd think that... But in a lot of threads about Pokemon Let's Go over past 6 months have people going full crazy on it. Lol
the thread is 250 pages of people saying the game is the worst game ever made.

The concern was that Let's Go was lagging behind relative to previous Pokémon games.

i wonder what's the average install base of a system when the first pokemon launches. 3ds must've been higher than switch. correct me if i'm wrong but the games come out pretty early in the system's life. i think ds and 3ds were quite a bit later.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon next year will probably break all kinds of records except lifetime sales since beating the original games will be impossible.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
how many units does the Switch need to hit their original projection?

Because I'm PRETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTYYYYY sure that this game and Smash will easily help hit those amounts. ESPECIALLY with Black Friday and Christmas literally RIGHT around the corner.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Because I'm PRETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTYYYYY sure that this game and Smash will easily help hit those amounts. ESPECIALLY with Black Friday and Christmas literally RIGHT around the corner.
14.93 million units more between October 1 2018 and March 31 2019.

Acinixys

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
SOURCE

That Smash is tracking well is something we have known for a while now, but it is interesting to see that Reggie also highlights Pokemon as tracking better than any other Nintendo Switch game yet. Maybe it will do well in spite of Era's misgivings/strongest hopes and prayers after all?

Its Pokemon

Its going to do CoD Modern Warfare numbers in terms of sales

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
I humbly accept this crow I'm about to eat for stating that 20 mil won't be reached by the end of the fiscal year.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

But that can't be right - someone yesterday said Smash wouldn't hit 10 million.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
When Pokemon Lets Go cleans up to the chagrin of half the fanbase...who will still mostly buy the game anyway

tenor.gif

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

Even if the sold through is not enough they will overship like they did in the past ( WII first year , 3DS first year ). Sony and MS did it as well.