• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Usually Buy Multiple Versions of the Same Pokemon Game for Yourself?

• Yes, I always buy both

Votes: 43 6.8%
  • Usually, but not always

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • Not usually, but sometimes

Votes: 62 9.9%
  • No, I only buy one copy

Votes: 460 73.1%
  • I don't like Pokemon

Votes: 31 4.9%

• Total voters

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
The only time I bought both was Diamond/Pearl, but also it was the first time I had my own income so I guess I felt rich or I dunno why. I used the second version to get the other two starters and then never played it again (later traded it to a friend).

I did end up with both Red and Blue as a kid, but they weren't bought at the same time. I can't remember if I asked for it later or if my mom just thought it was something different.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Of the games I've bought:

RBY: All 3
BW: 1
BW2: 1
HGSS: 1
XY: Both
ORAS: Both
SuMo: Both
USUM: Neither
SwSh: 1

Guess I'm pretty inconsistent. Also I skipped GSC, RSE, and DPP.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I used to if I really liked the game, but only because there was only one save file on the cart and I didn't want to delete my save file.

Thank goodness Nintendo solved that issue with the Switch and multiple profiles.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
The arguments that crop up over Pokémon having two versions is the weirdest "this is resetera" shit. I've got a lot of issues with Pokémon, but this is straight up not a problem and never has been.

It's not scummy. It's not anti-consumer (third versions and other such stuff might be, but that's a different argument). It strengthens the social aspect. People like it. People like talking about which version they're gonna get just Ike they enjoy talking about what starters they'll pick. It's a simple, effective, fun gimmick that harms no one and enhances the social aspects.

Stop buying both and then complaining about it, you weirdos.

Have you ever played around with Pokemon randomizers? They're a lot of fun, and it would be awesome to see similar functionality implemented into the game in an official manner.

They'll never do it while they're sticking to the dual-version model.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those poll results are surprising. I thought it'd be a much smaller minority buying both. Like I knew quite a few did but I didn't expect THAT many.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I've bought three mainline Pokemon games in my lifetime: Pokemon Red, Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu (as a gift, for someone who now only owns the one version), and Pokemon Sword. I buy one copy and find someone to trade and battle with -- you know, like the whole Pokemon thing.

I think it's also worth noting that this is one of the biggest gaming enthusiast communities out there, so even the small number of people reporting that they bought both is going to be much better represented here than in the general population of buyers.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I used to if I really liked the game, but only because there was only one save file on the cart and I didn't want to delete my save file.

Thank goodness Nintendo solved that issue with the Switch and multiple profiles.
Multiple saves was a huge draw of owning multiple versions. In addition to that, I also had a save backup accessory for Game Boy like a GameShark or Action Replay.

Oct 25, 2017
Have you ever played around with Pokemon randomizers? They're a lot of fun, and it would be awesome to see similar functionality implemented into the game in an official manner.

They'll never do it while they're sticking to the dual-version model.

They wouldn't do that even if they had one version so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Also not sure how having two versions is the thing preventing your weirdly specific request from happening (it's not) when they could still do it and just pull from the pool of Pokémon in your version.

Nov 17, 2017
I've never gotten both versions of any gen. However, I was pretty lucky back when my older brother grew out of Pokemon and I got to keep his games as he always got the opposite version that I did. That stopped after Ruby and Sapphire though.

I always have 2 or so friends playing Pokemon so it's always easy to just make sure at least one of us gets the other version so we can trade. Sometimes one version literally has all I actually want so it doesn't even matter haha.

Ah yes, the whole young kid defense force.
It's almost like these games are primarily for children.

What's illogical is how you want to defend any criticism of these games. They could easily just have a toggle when you start the game if you want to experience the sword or shield path. One version of the game, same result.
When you immediately jump to "you want to defend any criticism of these games" it makes your arguments so much weaker than they already are. You might as well just yell "FANBOY". What's the point? You don't really need to do that.

As for a path toggle, would that really solve the problem of people buying two copies of the game? People who double dip would still do that so they could have their Sword and Shield paths simultaneously. And if you want to say multiple save files, that would ruin the point of trading. Why care that your friend or someone you know has the other version of the game and can trade with you, when you can just do it yourself with one copy of the game?

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Multiple saves was a huge draw of owning multiple versions. In addition to that, I also had a save backup accessory for Game Boy like a GameShark or Action Replay.

Yeah I usually replay Pokemon games with a nuzlocke challenge and it bothered me to delete my Pokemon to have to do that. Bank made this a little easier, but I still liked having one "master file."

Oct 25, 2017
I got Soul Silver at launch forever ago and then two years ago I got Platinum. In some corners because these fall under the same so-called 'generation' they'd be (wrongly) considered 'the same game'.

Pokemon 'whatever this one is' and Pokemon 'I'm the one on the shelf this year next to whatever that one says it is' are not the same games. I'm not sure what's so hard about this to understand?

Was there or was there not some sort of discount (however short) for people who bought both Sword and Shield digitally, or did I imagine that in between my fever dreams of being on the Nintendo Defence force again?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I just buy the one and my friends buy the others. We usually end up with a mixture of peeps with each game so it's cool to trade.

Best thing about this one is my kids have got involved.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
They wouldn't do that even if they had one version so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

Also not sure how having two versions is the thing preventing your weirdly specific request from happening (it's not) when they could still do it and just pull from the pool of Pokémon in your version.
The issue is that randomization very obviously demonstrates a way that they could do a single-version Pokemon release and have players still need to trade to catch them all, hence why I said they'd never include it as a result of the dual-version model.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I only buy one of the double version. Third version however is a different story.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got Soul Silver at launch forever ago and then two years ago I got Platinum. In some corners because these fall under the same so-called 'generation' they'd be (wrongly) considered 'the same game'.

Pokemon 'whatever this one is' and Pokemon 'I'm the one on the shelf this year next to whatever that one says it is' are not the same games. I'm not sure what's so hard about this to understand?

Was there or was there not some sort of discount (however short) for people who bought both Sword and Shield digitally, or did I imagine that in between my fever dreams of being on the Nintendo Defence force again?
Soul-Silver and Platinum would not be considered the same game.
Diamond and Pearl would be with Platinum being the 3rd version.

There is no discount if you buy 2, you might be thinking about nintendo vouchers that give a discount. Which buy a set nets you vouchers for 2 games.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I always by both because I play Pokémon competitively. Need both for legendaries/soft-resetting. The benefit is now that it's on a device with multiple saves I can play them on my Switch and my girlfriend can use our second without having to buy yet another copy.

Feb 21, 2018
The only times I got 2 versions were with Silver & Crystal and Ruby & Emerald. I skipped Platinum, BW 2, and Ultra SuMo. I still get the remakes. I would have got Yellow but it was out of stock everywhere Christmas of 1999 and by the time it did get restocked I preordered Silver instead.

Oct 25, 2017
The issue is that randomization very obviously demonstrates a way that they could do a single-version Pokemon release and have players still need to trade to catch them all, hence why I said they'd never include it as a result of the dual-version model.

They won't do randomization because it's weird and hurts the fiction of the world. It's weird to go fishing and get a Mudsdale. It's weird for snow Pokémon to show up in the desert. They won't do it because it's a weird idea for fun mods where context doesn't matter.

If for some reason they decided to stop caring about context and implement such a mode, they could clearly still do that while having two versions by simply limiting the Pokémon that can appear based on which game you have.

Two versions is not what's keeping you from getting your randomized Pokémon adventure.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
No. You can't. Because there won't be a reason to trade if everyone had the same Pokémon in every copy of the game.

It's the most effective solution to encourage a social experience.

But why do we have Pokémon that you will only get one of that are unique to each game. I mean I highly doubt I'll find anyone who will trade me their zacian. That doesn't encourage trading, it's just annoying. Especially when it's obvious ones of the games has a better unique one over the other. I bought shield cause my friend had already bought sword so we could trade but I feel a bit burned cause while I prefer most the Pokémon shield has, the one Pokémon that you only get one of and therefore good luck getting anyone to trade is the one sword has that shield does not. And worse is consensus seems to be its much better than shield's. Hell, I've only ever seen one person use shield's legendary in a raid. It's all zacians.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Before online trading, yep. Ever since we had the GTS/online trading? Nope. No reason to.

Actually wait I did buy both Pokemon Black and White for the difficulty mode stuff IIRC

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
They won't do randomization because it's weird and hurts the fiction of the world. It's weird to go fishing and get a Mudsdale. It's weird for snow Pokémon to show up in the desert. They won't do it because it's a weird idea for fun mods where context doesn't matter.

If for some reason they decided to stop caring about context and implement such a mode, they could clearly still do that while having two versions by simply limiting the Pokémon that can appear based on which game you have.

Two versions is not what's keeping you from getting your randomized Pokémon adventure.
You know it doesn't have to be totally random like that, right?

They could do it in a way that still makes sense, like you might be able to catch Magikarp or Goldeen in a particular body of water but it's random as to which one.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
I bought all but I had to stop starting from Sword/Shield. Expansion Pass + Multiple version of the same game is the wake up call I need. Thanks Game Freak.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

They could do it in a way that still makes sense, like you might be able to catch Magikarp or Goldeen in a particular body of water but it's random as to which one.

Why not both? The thing with the 2 versions is that the unique Pokemon is a very short list, allowing for both versions to have the largest pool of available spawns and presumably for balance reasons.

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah they sure could do that. Just like how they could limit the pool to the Pokémon of the version you bought like I've said two times already. They could control how the randomization works in tons of different ways, thus proving that having two versions isn't the thing that's preventing them from doing it........ >_>

Two versions is fun. Stop buying both and complaining about it, you weirdos.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just gonna quote myself from the other thread since my answer is a bit more complicated.

I always bought just one version usually with the exception of a few expanded versions, but for some reason I really liked X a lot, so I bought Y after and enjoyed playing it again. I did the same for ORAS, and I almost did the same for SuMo, but then I realized it was a complete waste of money, especially after I realized how much of a chore SuMo was, so I eventually sold Y, Omega Ruby, and Moon.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
I just buy one. Nobody who plays Pokémon is actually upset about the two-version gimmick because they realize it's insignificant, especially in the age of online trading.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Why not both? The thing with the 2 versions is that the unique Pokemon is a very short list, allowing for both versions to have the largest pool of available spawns and presumably for balance reasons.
What do you mean "why not both"? Magikarp and goldeen? It was just an example.

The randomization doesn't have to be extensive, and could definitely be balanced.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean "why not both"? Magikarp and goldeen? It was just an example.

The randomization doesn't have to be extensive, and could definitely be balanced.

In that case you still run into the issue of you and whoever else you were playing along with having a similar random seed and running into the same creatures. Knowing version differences is pretty useful in that sense.

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would want to have both versions. They are basically the same game and there's other ways to get the exclusive Pokémon.

My wife's younger cousin likes getting both and I don't get why a kid would want to basically waste a new game on one they already have.

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Only one version for me. Though I bought sword and shield double pack but its for me and my friend, we just want to get that pokemon code bonus.
The two version is always about trading, its a gimmick but its a good and smart one.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I buy both, but I have to for my work :P

Very few people I know actually buy both and it's usually just collectors.

This has always been a misnomer where people assume it's done to trick people out of money and lots of people buy both when it's not. Two versions is there for the intent to get people to trade/communicate. Plus it's far less complicated to say:

"I got Sword. You have shield. Do you have Appletun, I'll give you a Flapple?"
Rather than
"I got Pokémon but started with Grookey and went left on Route 1 first. Did you start with Sobble and go right? I need a Stonjourner"

Sure, double packs exist, but that's more for households that have two people; couples, siblings, friends etc., not for people to buy both.

In no way does getting both create a full experience. The differences are completely superficial: a wild Pokémon here or there, at worst a gym leader or swap in story characters, but it's not like Fire Emblem or other games where the story diverges completely based on the game you pick.

Anyone who says so is showing themselves as not having actually played Pokémon.

Absent Breeze

Oct 25, 2017
"Would you like to travel the sword story line or shield story line, choose wisely your choice here will effect the pokemon you encounter along your journey."
"ALL THESE CHOICES ARE OVERWHELMING ME! WHY CAN'T I SPEND MONEY ON A SEPARATE SKU, IT'D BE SO MUCH CLEARER!"

Marukoban

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I only buy 1 game per gen, not even 3rd version.
I usually talk to friends who plan to buy and just buy different versions. We will make a group to breed different pokemon and trade. For example I breed 2 Gengar and my friend breed 2 Ferrothorn. After we finish we just exchange to end up with 1 Gengar and 1 Ferrothorn each. There's practically no reason to get both version when I will just end up trading with friends and online.

Oct 27, 2017
I buy one initial version, then the updated version.

Also, OP. Why would you title a thread "Pokémon players..." and then include an option for people who don't like pokémon in the poll? That defeats the purpose of the thread.

Jun 2, 2019
I have always bought one version only, I see no value in playing the same game twice just with slightly different pokemon distribution.

Burning Justice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I occasionally do if I can get the other version cheap, but usually not. I used to always buy both when I was a kid.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Never buyed both copies. The only time I bought the third version was with Pokemon Yellow on the old game boy...