• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Usually Buy Multiple Versions of the Same Pokemon Game for Yourself?

• Yes, I always buy both

Votes: 43 6.8%
  • Usually, but not always

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • Not usually, but sometimes

Votes: 62 9.9%
  • No, I only buy one copy

Votes: 460 73.1%
  • I don't like Pokemon

Votes: 31 4.9%

• Total voters

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
By same game, I mean Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Sword/Shield, etc. (The subsequent third version is another discussion -- I bet double dipping there is far more common, but more defensible given the improvements/changes that are usually present.)

Inspired by this topic. Are the two versions just a scam to rake in money from serious fans? Or is it a legitimate gimmick to encourage trading? I'm curious to see how common it is for people to buy both versions.

When I was a kid, I always bought both versions. This had nothing to do with trading -- even though I had many friends in school that played Pokemon, and I would sometimes take my Gameboy to school and battle/trade with them at recess -- it was mostly because I could only have one save file and wanted to replay the game without losing my collection. I stopped playing it seriously around Diamond/Pearl, and since then, I've only bought one of the games because I haven't cared to replay them.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't vote because I haven't actually played many Pokemon games, but I did buy both versions once: Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee, because I couldn't decide. I ended up playing only Eevee and still haven't really touched Pikachu. I also didn't feel any compulsion to go back and buy the second version of the 3DS games I owned, so I think from here on out I wouldn't bother buying more than one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've been out of the Pokemon game for a long time, but every time I bought one of the generations I only ever bought ONE version.

My roommate bought the Sword/Shield two-pack and I didn't realize anyone did that.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
People who buy both versions are a very small minority. The two versions are what makes Pokémon a social experience. Without it Pokémon probably wouldn't be half as popular as it is today.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Nope, no reason to, nor is it ever implied you need to for completion/a "full experience". People like to insist playing one version of a generation isn't the "whole" experience but that's bull.
People who buy both versions are a very small minority. The two versions are what makes Pokémon a social experience. Without it Pokémon probably wouldn't be half as popular as it is today.

Also this.

SJUG

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
United States
When I was a little kid, I got Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald because I thought they were different games. Haven't done that since, though.

OP
OP

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017

To be fair, this forum is full of a certain type of video game fan, but if 30% of this board buys both versions at least some of the time, that's not insignificant.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
The trading is what makes Pokemon a social experience. You can achieve that without having to sell two different SKUs of the same game.

The dual release model might've been vital from a marketing perspective in the early days, to let people know that trading to obtain otherwise unobtainable Pokemon was an important aspect of the game. But nowadays, people know what Pokemon's about.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The trading is what makes Pokemon a social experience. You can achieve that without having to sell two different SKUs of the same game.
No. You can't. Because there won't be a reason to trade if everyone had the same Pokémon in every copy of the game.

It's the most effective solution to encourage a social experience.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I have a group of friends who all play the games so there's always someone with the other version. I used to buy both versions for collection sake but I got over it.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. You can't. Because there won't be a reason to trade if everyone had the same Pokémon in every copy of the game.

The starter you choose determines the pokemon that can spawn. OMG you didn't have to sell two version to encourage trading :O. Why didn't anyone think about this before.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why people buy multiple versions. Trading is so easy... even if you don't have friends who like Pokemon, you can connect with people online (like on this very forum). And for Sword and Shield you don't even need to do that, you can just join random raids on y-comm to get Pokemon from the other version. And to top it all off, Sword and Shield allow multiple save files so buying another version doesn't even give you that.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
The starter you choose determines the pokemon that can spawn. OMG you didn't have to sell two version to encourage trading :O. Why didn't anyone think about this before.
That would make things much more complicated and confusing for a lot of people, specially young kids, it's better to keep it simple.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
i think for me personally , in the 3DS era i will buy both versions cos local trading is defintely safer as evil people can 'cheat' you of your rare pokemon online

Sadly for Switch era , 1 version is enough as suprise trade can sometimes give you unexpected surprises

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I bought both from gen 1 - 5. I liked having one complete version and one version where I would experiment with different teams because beating the game from scratch was fun for me as a kid. Especially gen 1 - 3 I must have collectively ran through the main campaign about 50 times or so.. I was obsessed with these games. None of my friends actually traded anyways so it was much less hassle to do it amongst myself

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People shouldn't have to make their friend pick a completely different starter they might not want just to be able to trade one of 3 pools of exclusive pokemon. Thats so fucking obtuse and useless. 2 Versions being mostly the same lets players experience the same game without that kind of shitty limitation. What an awful idea lmao.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I would either buy the vanilla version or wait for the third one. But in general, only one copy per gen.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

Nah, this isn't true, you still have limited pokemon like starters or fossils still left to encourage trade, also pokemon with trade only evolutions. Excluding that, we have a mode call Wonder trade that people frequently use despite most of the gets being pokemon you can easily capture in your game.

Last edited:

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
People shouldn't have to make their friend pick a completely different starter they might not want just to be able to trade one of 3 pools of exclusive pokemon. Thats so fucking obtuse and useless. 2 Versions being mostly the same lets players experience the same game without that kind of shitty limitation. What an awful idea lmao.
So the setting of certain pokemon being able to be encountered based on the starter you choose is obtuse and useless but the selling of two near identical versions isn't? LMAO

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So the setting of certain pokemon being able to be encountered based on the starter you choose is obtuse and useless but the selling of two near identical versions isn't? LMAO

It means there are only 2 pools of players making it easy to trade, especially with a friend or significant other. Involving the starter choice in the few exclusive Pokemon that spawn unnecessarily changes the most important choice at the start of the game.

Imagine you both want charmander as your starter? one of you is going to have to choose something else just to trade a few pokemon later on.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Gold/Silver were the only games I ever bought both of. And when I first got a Gameboy Color for Christmas I got Red/Yellow and my brother got Blue but I kinda hogged them all lol. At that time I certainly got my mileage out of infinite replays (aided by that yellow save file thing I forgot the name of), after I hit puberty I was no longer concerned with having both games (didn't play a lot of RSE/FRLG, from then on Wifi was a thing).

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It means there are only 2 pools of players making it easy to trade, especially with a friend or significant other. Involving the starter choice in the few exclusive Pokemon that spawn unnecessarily changes the most important choice at the start of the game.

Imagine you both want charmander as your starter? one of you is going to have to choose something else just to trade a few pokemon later on.
How is that different if both want the same legendary? It isn't.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. 1 per gen for me. It's more interesting and fun for me sharing with friends who chose a different version from me.

- Yellow
- Silver
- Ruby
- Platinum
- White
- Y
- Shield

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Why are people attacking the two version thing as if it personally offends them? Who gives a shit? Just buy one version.
I won't even buy the third versions
Same. Well, I guess I did buy Ultra Sun to play in tournaments and then ended up not touching the game or tournaments... Otherwise, Black 2 is the only "third version" I bought and it was an actual sequel.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You're asking for a requirement of having 3 people playing 3 separate starters just to be able to trade everything. Its illogical in every sense.
What's illogical is how you want to defend any criticism of these games. They could easily just have a toggle when you start the game if you want to experience the sword or shield path. One version of the game, same result.

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I still played the games seriously, yeah. Dropped off after Diamond/Pearl. Still bought Soul Silver, that encapsulated everything right about Pokémon.

Mostly because I was a big video game collector during these times, and I especially adored Pokémon.. until I just couldn't honor the time commitment these demand for playing competitively.

I made really good bank selling them in a lot, had all the boxes in great shape. So, well worth it in the end. Soul Silver remains the only Pokémon game I kept.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
There are countless ways you could handle a single-version Pokemon besides basing the catchable pool of Pokemon on which starter you pick, no need to get hung up on that particular idea.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What's illogical is how you want to defend any criticism of these games. They could easily just have a toggle when you start the game if you want to experience the sword or shield path. One version of the game, same result.

Having 3 separate spawns based on starter preference is more complicated and forceful. Its not hard to understand why.

Oct 25, 2017
The arguments that crop up over Pokémon having two versions is the weirdest "this is resetera" shit. I've got a lot of issues with Pokémon, but this is straight up not a problem and never has been.

It's not scummy. It's not anti-consumer (third versions and other such stuff might be, but that's a different argument). It strengthens the social aspect. People like it. People like talking about which version they're gonna get just Ike they enjoy talking about what starters they'll pick. It's a simple, effective, fun gimmick that harms no one and enhances the social aspects.

Stop buying both and then complaining about it, you weirdos.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Gen One I begged my parents for every version including imports when I was about 8-years-old. By Gen Two I was burnt out on the idea of keeping up with all of the versions when Crystal was announced. After Diamond, it hasn't even been a given that I participate in a gen, even though I remained fond of Pokemon.

How bout falling for multiple versions of the many Pokemon clones on GBC? Heh.