• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Usually Buy Multiple Versions of the Same Pokemon Game for Yourself?

• Yes, I always buy both

Votes: 43 6.8%
  • Usually, but not always

Votes: 33 5.2%
  • Not usually, but sometimes

Votes: 62 9.9%
  • No, I only buy one copy

Votes: 460 73.1%
  • I don't like Pokemon

Votes: 31 4.9%

• Total voters

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
For Pokemon Titles on the 3DS, I started buying both versions because I moved to Japan. I bought a North American copy of one and a Japanese copy of the other. That way I could get the event Pokemon for either region. X/Y, ORAS, S/M, US/UM. Though, I stopped doing that with SwSh. $60 is too much. Plus, with the Switch, there's no longer any difference between games in different regions. Any event Pokemon should be available on any version of the game. But also, I started losing interest in the main games.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Always just one for me. I have never bought a second copy and I've been playing since the original.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I've only ever bought one version and it's been the same for friends of mine - that means we can easily trade because between us, we always have both versions. I've never bought a third version, though I think some friends have.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I only buy 1 version each because everything else would just be a waste of money. Will never quite get people that buy both, as there never really is a reason to (no offenes to anyone who does).

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Yes I do but I bought

Red then yellow
Silver then crystal
Sapphire then emerald
Diamond then platinum
Black then black 2
X
Sun then ultra sun

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
That would make things much more complicated and confusing for a lot of people, specially young kids, it's better to keep it simple.

I disagree.

There is nothing simpler for a little kid than to know which starter they chose.

Ask them what they're playing, and many, many kids will reply "I'm playing the new Pokémon!"

Ask them who they chose, and they will answer.

So, yeah, I disagree. Spawning different Pokémon based on the starter is a great idea which would remove the need for dual versions.

That being said, I have no issue with having two versions, only a tiny amount of insane fans buy both versions for themselves.
I'm just saying there is no actual reason for them existing, except tradition, which is fine.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
So, yeah, I disagree. Spawning different Pokémon based on the starter is a great idea which would remove the need for dual versions.

Like I said before that means you need at least 3 save files, or to know 2 other people and everyone picking a different starter. Its kind of inefficient and pointless.
Its already easy enough to source the very few exclusives, but this method you're suggesting just complicates it farther and at best results in grinding through the game 3 times and not many people are going to prefer that to simple trading.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Never have, never will. Also, never had to. I find it really amusing that people get so mad about this when it's so easy to get the other version's exclusives nowadays.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before that means you need at least 3 save files, or to know 2 other people and everyone picking a different starter. Its kind of inefficient and pointless.
Its already easy enough to source the very few exclusives, but this method you're suggesting just complicates it farther and at best results in grinding through the game 3 times.
Do you usually have two files and just play yourself? I guess the idea here is that you only play once and it encourages you to be social with other people.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018

You don't need to know anyone, you're supposed to trade.

I mean, until recently (and probably next month once more), you just have to go to the GTS and ask for a trade of a version exclusive. That's it, and that would be exactly the same if Pokémon availability was based on the starter.

Its already easy enough to source the very few exclusives, but this method you're suggesting just complicates it farther and at best results in grinding through the game 3 times.

You're not supposed to get them all yourself, you're supposed to trade.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
You're not supposed to get them all yourself, you're supposed to trade.

So how is it an improvement to have to trade between 3 versions of a game instead of 2? because that's what this is. Everyone that plays with their sister (me) or significant other or friend getting the opposite version now has to either find a third person who is using the other starter or trade with randoms, removing the appeal of being able to trade between just the two.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Not usually, but sometimes is exactly what I said to myself after reading the poll. And would you look at that, there's an answer saying exactly that. Kudos to the OP. I rarely have an answer that I'm 100% behind on polls here.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So how is it an improvement to have to trade between 3 versions of a game instead of 2?

I don't see where I wrote that it would be an improvement.
I said it would be exactly the same, replying to someone saying that it would be too confusing for little kids.

because that's what this is. Everyone that plays with their sister (me) or significant other or friend getting the opposite version now has to either find a third person who is using the other starter or trade with randoms, removing the appeal of being able to trade between just the two.

I thought you wanted to grind through the game three times?

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
No, I absolutely would not want to. That's what people who normally buy 2 copies to collect everything solo would have to do instead.

Anyway, I solved your problem. With logic!

Let's say you have six version exclusives:
Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Togepi, Psyduck and Gengar

And you have three starters:
Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble

You just have to separate the version exclusives like this:
- Grookey gets: Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, and Togepi
- Scorbunny gets: Mewtwo, Togepi, Psyduck, and Gengar
- Sobble gets: Pikachu, Charizard, Psyduck, and Gengar

You started with Grookey?
You can get the version exclusives from someone who started with Scorbunny OR Sobble.

No need to know two people, one will do.

See? Solved.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I usually only buy the second one retroactively if I really liked playing through the original and feel the urge to replay strongly enough. I've got no interest in Let's Go Pikachu or Shield, but when I wanted to replay FireRed instead of rebuying that version, I went with LeafGreen for the second playthrough. I'm probably going to end up picking up Alpha Sapphire after enjoying Omega Ruby so much too.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I solved your problem. With logic!

Let's say you have six version exclusives:
Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, Togepi, Psyduck and Gengar

And you have three starters:
Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble

You just have to separate the version exclusives like this:
- Grookey gets: Pikachu, Charizard, Mewtwo, and Togepi
- Scorbunny gets: Mewtwo, Togepi, Psyduck, and Gengar
- Sobble gets: Pikachu, Charizard, Psyduck, and Gengar

You started with Grookey?
You can get the version exclusives from someone who started with Scorbunny OR Sobble.

No need to know two people, one will do.

See? Solved.

I mean it works, but with that selection you already have half of the same spawns. Also prevents people from being able to pick the same starter still.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
No. The only time i bought both versions was when i was a little kid and my friend tricked me into buying both Ruby and Sapphire because she told me they had different stores. Lol little shit, i saved up for 3 months for that!

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I really don't get the support for random seeding, I'd rather have a set list of what I can/cannot get on my own and not have to rely on trading for stuff I want in a regular playthrough. Making it based on your starter would kinda be ass too, having your starter determine what you can catch means you can end up having to choose between having the starter you want and everything else you want on your team. Making it an in-game choice between two versions would be fine I guess, but... functionally, you haven't changed anything. At base I just don't understand why having two versions is a problem, and I say that as someone who has had several problems with gamefreak's decisions over the years.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
I sometimes bought the second version in the past, but I'm not supporting this shit any longer. The differences between the versions are too unremarkable and it's relatively easy to trade the versions exclusive mons online.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
Very casual Pokémon player here. Only ever bought one version each time (and never the third because I didn't see the point as they were basically the same game). I'm not a completist and have never completed the Pokédex in any of the games, never played competitive or even transferred Pokémon between generations so a lot of the anger and arguments over the games are lost on me. I missed the DS and 3DS games though so a lot of the evolution of the series has passed me by (I basically played Pokémon when I was a kid/teen on the GBC and GBA, then it wasn't until the nostalgia bug caught me that I dived back in with Let's Go Pikachu. I probably wouldn't have if it wasn't a fairly simple and accessible remake of the first games because the recent games seemed to be getting pretty bloated as far as I could see). So you can take my views with a pinch of salt I guess.

I never saw having the two versions as being exploitative however - if anything it's a core part of the series and a part of how it became as big as it has (and I'm sure more people would complain if they got rid of the two versions than would be happy with the change). Certainly back at school in the early years of Pokémon hype it wouldn't have been the same if there weren't different teams, different choices and so on, as a way of sharing your own unique experience of the games and having and seeing things your friends with different versions hadn't.

I don't really get the complaining about buying both versions when you're not really meant or even encouraged to do so anyway. If you're willing to spend all that time and money on the games why are you complaining? No one's forcing you to buy both. And they only started to release the double packs because of consumer demand didn't they? I imagine most people buy them to share with somebody else rather than just themselves anyway. If you're a completist then it's going to cost you either more time, money or effort (or all three) and that goes for pretty much anything you might be a fan of. So if it bothers you then just don't do it (obviously that might not feel easy if you're a big fan of something, but I don't know what else to say really. Things will always have some sort of cost so it's for you to weigh up the pros and cons and what you can manage. And as long as the Pokémon games continue to sell with the way they release them it's not going to change).

Quite frankly I don't see what the big deal is or even how it's meant to be scummy or whatever. Same with the third versions. I never felt there was enough new content so I never bothered or gave them much thought. The dlc is great for me though as I'll get to experience the new content as I would never have bought a separate third version, but now it's an add-on for a game I already have and enjoy so I pre-ordered it. They got more money out of me than they've ever managed before!

TLDR: only ever bought one version and never bothered with the third versions; the hardcore fans are baffling to me and all the complaining just seems silly when you could just as easily not but both versions and still have an highly enjoyable Pokémon experience; if you're a completist then of course it's going to cost you and that goes with any media property; the dlc is a great way to go; team Shield and Grookey is King/Queen

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I used to buy both versions of first gen and second gen games, but they don't really hold any value other than obtaining exclusive pokemon to complete pokedex. In first gen only certain catchable pokemon were different and in second gen I believe the only other difference in second gen was what level you could fight the Lugia and Ho-oh. I haven't bought a Pokemon game since and if I did, I wouldn't buy both versions. These games need way more exclusive content to be worth it.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I would sometimes buy the second version so I could start a new game without deleting my save. As far as I know you still can't have more than one save per cart per user.

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I usually don't but I'll probably buy the complete version of Sword with DLC when it releases at Christmas.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Only bought yellow after already owning Red, then I never got 3rd or other versions again. I only have time to do all that once, if at all; if my version is still compatible, I'll be sticking with it.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Twice, 1st generation and 2nd.

1st generation: Dumb kid me thought the differences would be significant.
2nd generation: Got a American Gold copy from a relative, it caused compatability issues when connected to Pokemon Stadium 2 (Including glitching the game to give my Entei Splash and turn my Tyranitar into Teddiursa, that second one wasn't fun). Got silver So I could have an english version to work with Stadium 2.

After that it's mainly been a split between me getting one version and my brother getting the other. Although he hasn't picked up a mainline pokemon game since Ultra Sun and Moon as of now.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
I have two kids but only one is of playing age (1 and 6). My 6 yrs old finished Shield last month on my Switch but I'm getting him a lite on March for his 7th birthday and possibly a Sword version so we can both play since he was so hyped about the co-op play in the expansion pass.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
The starter you choose determines the pokemon that can spawn. OMG you didn't have to sell two version to encourage trading :O. Why didn't anyone think about this before.
Why would they change it only because a minority is getting mad because another minority is buying both

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I don't understand why anyone would want to have both versions. They are basically the same game and there's other ways to get the exclusive Pokémon.

My wife's younger cousin likes getting both and I don't get why a kid would want to basically waste a new game on one they already have.

So, how do you get Zacain then? When he's a major legendary, pretty damned effective, and if some one trades him away they lose him forever.. so, not seeing how their are other ways of getting Zacain.

I buy both, but I have to for my work :P

Very few people I know actually buy both and it's usually just collectors.

This has always been a misnomer where people assume it's done to trick people out of money and lots of people buy both when it's not. Two versions is there for the intent to get people to trade/communicate. Plus it's far less complicated to say:

"I got Sword. You have shield. Do you have Appletun, I'll give you a Flapple?"
Rather than
"I got Pokémon but started with Grookey and went left on Route 1 first. Did you start with Sobble and go right? I need a Stonjourner"

Sure, double packs exist, but that's more for households that have two people; couples, siblings, friends etc., not for people to buy both.

In no way does getting both create a full experience. The differences are completely superficial: a wild Pokémon here or there, at worst a gym leader or swap in story characters, but it's not like Fire Emblem or other games where the story diverges completely based on the game you pick.

Anyone who says so is showing themselves as not having actually played Pokémon.

See my above reply. YOu can't trade for Zacain unless you get super super lucky and find the one person willing to let theirs go. This argument would work if they didn't also put in exclusive pokemon that you can only get one of (and are really useful on top of that) in each version (and honestly, one version has a much better version of the legendary than the other). I haven't played much pokemon between silver and Let's go but from what I understand SwSh isn't the first time they put unique legendaries that you only get one of in each different version. If they just put regular pokemon that you can catch several of you'd be correct.