• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dxc5yg/psa_pokemon_swordshield_causes_roku_devices_on/

So last night, the Rokus in the house began acting up. Looked on Twitter, some others were having the issue with Roku TVs and the like. Theory was was that Roku pushed an update and bricked people's devices.

This morning, the Roku was working again. Then stopped.

Then I found this and the guy's solution, which was to put the Nintendo Switch in Airplane Mode while playing Pokemon.

Last night, my wife began playing her copy and had just started playing again when I began using the Roku that morning. I power cycled the Roku to no avail. Then I decided to try the guy's fix, as ludicrous as it sounds (my wife and I both have backgrounds in software development, so it sounded possible but unlikely).

I had my wife put her Switch in airplane mode and power cycled the Roku. Booted up first time, has remained stable all day. No updates from Roku were pushed to Roku devices that I can ascertain from the System Update menu.

saw something on /vp/ about the issue but I won't link cuz 4chan. Someone says they ran a Bluetooth diagnostic and claims the Switch is trying to pair to the Roku (that's how the Roku remotes work). Not sure how much sense that makes with Airplane Mode as I am not home to test. I am posting this here for the benefit of the Roku devs who may be following the trail to fix it and can't find it in the netcode. Still the same issue, the Roku is getting signals from the Switch that are crashing it.

tl:dr Seems the local ad-hoc mode is messing with some roku devices. Whatever packets the switch seems to be sending out appear to be messing with the rokus and causing them to enter an endless boot loop. Putting the switch in Airplane mode seems to be the current workaround.

I have a TCL Roku TV and have yet to have a problem my self but it seems to be enough of an issue that its finally got the attention of the Roku team on Reddit.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Sword and Shield is not content on just destroying the Switch but has moved unto other devices. Is Pokemon Sword and Shield out skynet?

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think Pokemon Sword and Shield are on their way to taking the crown from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 as the games with the most amount of threads made on resetera.

Shift Breaker

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, the carnage continues.

I noticed that the local connection mode caused a notable delay with my 8bitso SN30 Pro+ until I went to the menu and connected it to the internet proper. Took me ages to realise that that weird "L" under the wi-fi logo I had no idea about and the controller delay were connected until I spent some time in the wild area. Shame there's no way to default it to internet.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I had to look up to find out what a "Roku" is.
Lvy4cEo.png

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Is this a cause of the game or the switch hardware. Not that I dont want to blame pokemon here but just seems weird.

Deleted member 227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this a cause of the game or the switch hardware. Not that I dont want to blame pokemon here but just seems weird.
It's on the media device player for picking up the Switch's constant pings and getting stuck in a boot loop trying to unpack them. The manufacturer replied in the thread that they are looking to patch it.