• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Man I feel like there is a new pokemon sword and shield controversy thread literally twice or three times a day at this point, it's really annoying

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I want to take a moment to thank every single one of you for keeping this thread super positive. Even then, criticism is welcomed as well. I don't know, I'm just glad there's a place in the whole internet where I can talk about the game. So yeah, thanks :)
You are welcome Xavi ! Always a pleasure to share those threads with you !

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
Screw it! I'm going digital for this game since Wal-Mart.com is listing Pokemon Shield for $60 instead of the expected $50.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
So who's still on #TeamPure? I must admit I have peeked a couple of times and also had some things
inadvertently spoiled to me.

Ive aren't evos for the starters and that's it, I don't feel as if that's a spoiler since every release they've shown us the full evos for the starters.

Beyond that, I don't feel like I've been spoiled. I am itching to find out with non spoilers if the story is actually interesting beyond the "I'm going to be the champion."

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Man I feel like there is a new pokemon sword and shield controversy thread literally twice or three times a day at this point, it's really annoying
Let them, some are really enjoying all this.

Between this thread and the OT, we'll have a good place to talk about the games.

Then, overall reception and sales will have the final word.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Oh man, oh man! Less than a week to go!

Still undecided for which start I will with.

Don't like Scorbunny, which is a shame as I always go with Fire type starters.

Never went with Leaf type though.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Haven't really checked out the leaks, but hoping there's a good amount of options for trainer customization in this. I'm always a sucker for customization options in games, so would be cool to see if that's expanded in this game compared to the last couple.

Pretty exciting we're less than a week from a brand new Pokemon adventure. Though I'm not going to get much time to play it next weekend, looking forward to playing this over the holidays.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, this! I'm almost purely a physical buyer when it comes to my Switch, but I'm making an exception for this game.
US and UM were the first Pokémon games we bought digitally and honestly, we've never looked back. It just makes sense for the significant time we invest into Pokémon games.

Sutton Dagger

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going in to this nearly completely 'pure' (other than the first trailer) as I've only seen the 3 starters and a few others.

I bought my wife a Switch the other week in preparation as we plan on playing through together. The hardest decision is going to be which starter to pick. I'm leaning towards continuing my grass type choice, as my first Pokemon ever was Bulbasaur. Will I be able to get the other starters easily enough through breeding?

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Wait so I'm asking again because I don't think anyone answered, do we know when reviews for this game are supposed to come out? Is it this Thursday or is it earlier?

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Wait so I'm asking again because I don't think anyone answered, do we know when reviews for this game are supposed to come out? Is it this Thursday or is it earlier?
I don't know for certain but I believe past Pokemon games were the Monday before.

However we know they've at least changed up how many review copies are being sent out so they may change the embargo date too.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going in to this nearly completely 'pure' (other than the first trailer) as I've only seen the 3 starters and a few others.

I bought my wife a Switch the other week in preparation as we plan on playing through together. The hardest decision is going to be which starter to pick. I'm leaning towards continuing my grass type choice, as my first Pokemon ever was Bulbasaur. Will I be able to get the other starters easily enough through breeding?
I'm sure people will quickly breed the Starters for trading purposes, so I'd encourage you to choose Grookey.

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
I don't know for certain but I believe past Pokemon games were the Monday before.

However we know they've at least changed up how many review copies are being sent out so they may change the embargo date too.
gotcha, the review threads are going to be a shitshow, but I am really curious lol

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's only in stores and not on preorders.
Ahh...that's the reason for that listing on that site.

Well double screw trying to get a physical copy on that game release weekend at that store. I originally planned on digital before Wal-Mart decided to drop the retail price of games by $10. Now knowing the actual restrictions of it, I made the right call preordinging through the eshop.

Though, I made need to get a new MicroSD card in the future. You wouldn't believe how fast a 200GB can fill up within two years, even when you are mostly physical for major releases. Here's hoping Best Buy got some great BF deals.

Kalte

Nov 25, 2017
Team pure grunt also reporting for duty here !
I have been lurking on this thread daily for a while now and I must admit, this has been a proper ride - you have managed to make me excited for this game !

Since Pokemon Blue when I was a kid, there are two things that are paramount in my enjoyment of a new (or remade) region : (I) exploration and wonder ; and (II) a strong identity and coherence. Which I failed to find in Sun/Moon in spite of numerous other qualities, and which made me initially sceptical about the new games and my overall expectations as I was ageing. Maybe this was simply not for me anymore and that's fine.

While we have no way of knowing how SwSh will turn out until it's actually out, being on team pure and sharing this moment with you makes me feel actually excited. I want to believe at least discovering the region, lore, culture and doing so really blind will be great.
Just a few days to go !

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I think youre correct. For my first Pokemon in my first Pokemon game, ive decided to put my faith in Sobble.
aWvdlbZ.jpg

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Yo is it true people are sharing codes here? Heard that from the spoiler thread.

Well regardless, my Switch code is SW-0813-8820-4707.

I'm in a... interesting situation with these games right now. Gamefreak announced an online tournament that starts December 5th. That's... like 3 weeks after the game comes out. Because of this, I'm going to have to haul ass to finish the game off, and get good, battle ready Pokemon. So if anyone wants to help me by letting me borrow Pokemon with good IVs to pass down via breeding, maybe relevant exclusives, etc, that'd be much appreciated! I might need all the help I can get here lol.

I plan on using alternate profiles + my brother's copy of the game or a friend's copy to get myself 3 of the starters as female, so maybe I can give out starter eggs too if people want them!

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Yo is it true people are sharing codes here? Heard that from the spoiler thread.

I'm in a... interesting situation with these games right now. Gamefreak announced an online tournament that starts December 5th. That's... like 3 weeks after the game comes out. Because of this, I'm going to have to haul ass to finish the game off, and get good, battle ready Pokemon. So if anyone wants to help me by letting me borrow Pokemon with good IVs to pass down via breeding, maybe relevant exclusives, etc, that'd be much appreciated! I might need all the help I can get here lol.

I plan on using alternate profiles + my brother's copy of the game to get myself 3 of the starters as female, so maybe I can give out starter eggs too if people want them!
Added you to the Era Sword/Shield Friend Dex ! Feel free to update with version/time zone/ etc. Can't wait until the 15th

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I plan on using alternate profiles + my brother's copy of the game or a friend's copy to get myself 3 of the starters as female, so maybe I can give out starter eggs too if people want them!
the weird thing is its a single tournament, so pokemon/builds are going to be difrent that what most compeditive players will build.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

I'd be down to help for sure.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean pokemon tends to only be about 20ish hours, and it seems with all the changes you can build teams rather quick now, so 3 weeks is more than enough time.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Last week, my job was a nightmare, but it kinda helped me to keep distracted about the leaks.

This week will probably be similar, but thankfully I asked for my vacation days, so after work on Thursday, I'll go to Game Stop to get my copy, and I'll spend the next days playing the game, until the next Friday when I go back to work (though I'll have to make a pause on Saturday for Chimchar Community Day ¬ ¬)

Also, the new CTR Grand Prix will keep me busy at home

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Tomorrow, Monday, and the first half of Tuesday shouldn't be too bad. I'll be focused on my 2 tests and 1 quiz. I hope I can get my history extra credit assignment assigned before Thursday. I have like 8 hours free on Thursday to do whatever I need to finish before Sword unlocks at 11pm. Wednesday could be the only slower day, unless my history prof forgets to give out the extra credit.

Anyways, enough of this school crap. We're less than 6 days out from a brand new Pokemon generation everyone!!! This only happens once a few years, so it's an exciting time. I've only spoiled the number of new mons and amount of Galarian forms, the total Dex number, and 3 unrevealed Galar forms. I didn't want to see the names of those 3, but I haven't seen what anything unrevealed looks like, so I'm ready for launch.