• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I am sad how the conversation for these games is going ever since E3. For me Pokemon is like this force of positivity whenever I play a new one - so seeing a lot of the threads turn worse than shit like console wars is just really, really disappointing.

Atleast we have this one thread here that has normal conversations going on. Appreciate yall

The conversation would've found any other topic to coplain about anyways. But the National Dex wasn't a simple thing.

It's obvious we were gonna get this kind of reactions (I'm not approving any rudeness towards developers / other fans) but I guess it's because the first time (not counting Let's Go, because we were still considering it an exception to the rule, not the new norm).

We'll have to get used to this change, or else, we don't have any other option, besides just moving away from Pokémon altogether, because they're not changing their minds. So it's up to anyone to keep self-tortouring themselves being angry about this issue which will be the norm from now till the end of times, or just change the way we perceive Pokémon games, and what we expect from them and learn to enjoy the reduced content we'll get every game.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
I love Pokémon so much and even then it's just a video game, man. People really need to chill out I swear.

EDIT: Anyways I'm gonna move on from that because it's seven dang days and I'm very excited. If Rapidash does end up getting wings I'm naming it Tristar.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
People harassing Masuda because he retweeted some fanart of a Pokémon that isn't in the games is absolutely insane. How can someone be this angry about a videogame? This isn't healthy. This is not okay.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
People harassing Masuda because he retweeted some fanart of a Pokémon that isn't in the games is absolutely insane. How can someone be this angry about a videogame? This isn't healthy. This is not okay.

I don't get it either. I understand that people are sad that their favorite Pokemon have been cut from the game, but I also understand why GF made these adjustments. It wasn't being lazy--they're trying to get more people involved in the competitive aspect of Pokemon and made cuts to balance things and to make competing more accessible IMO.

Also, in Gen 3, you could effectively only interact with Hoenn Pokemon like the entire game up until the very end, and it was impossible to get most Gen 1 Pokemon until FR/LG came out. 🤷‍♂️ And people are acting like this is unprecedented. Sigh. I understand that there are a number of young people in the Pokemon fanbase who might not know better, but it really is crazy to me that there are grown people in their 20s/30s harassing Game Freak over a game they haven't even played yet.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Oh I know, but there was always a mental barrier for me knowing that even if I complete the regional dex I wouldn't actually be 100% done with the game without transferring pokemon in from a bunch of games I don't have anymore.

It's an issue I have with collectibles in a lot of games: if I don't think I can get everything, I probably won't even try to get the ones that are easily available.

The GTS made that much easier. It really is more of a mental barrier, because once you start actively hunting every Pokémon on the Dex, the completion of it just comes naturally. At times the Pokémon I had requested, had already arrived just a few minutes later. I never liked to transfer ALL of my Pokémon from generation to generation, because there are special Pokémon that I just don't want to lose from a certain copy. So I'd normally get the rest from the GTS.

I'll really never understand why having "too many" Pokémon was a problem to anyone. People who don't bother to complete not even the regional dex, should just remain unbothered, and those that wanted to complete it, except for Mythicals, it was really easy to complete it (not a super quick task, but very doable).

Oct 28, 2019
See you lot in the other thread, I gave up on #TeamPure :'(

Nah, but the thread seems to have moved on in discussing the new Pokémon and no screenshots or the like are being posted. You wouldn't think I'd ever gave up, wouldn't you?

Jan 16, 2019
I feel bad for everyone work at GF right now, especially Masuda...

He was the director of many fans favorite (some was even considered as the best of the series), but the moment they can't keep up with the whole Nat Dex anymore, some fans start harassing/insulting him and act like he was the one that ruined the whole franchise...

The decision was made by all parties involved (Nintendo, GF, and Creatures), but GF takes all the blame somehow...

I can see why people have criticism toward the franchise, I have that too, it's all because Nintendo, GF, Creatures were too scared that they might break the franchise so they always take the baby-step instead of a big leap forward...

- I want the game to add more RPG elements to it, for example, how about copy BOTW and add "climbing" so the protagonist can go anywhere.
- Take some inspiration from Xeno2, Pokemon that appear in the overworld will look more alive, other Pokemon will be random encounter. GF have take 1 step toward with the mixing of both like I want, but the overworld Pokemon still not look alive that much.

But instead of actual constructive criticism, all the things some of them do is calling them lazy/incompetent, some are overreacting over everything, some are spreading misinformation, and some are just too toxic to mention.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel bad for everyone work at GF right now, especially Masuda...

He was the director of many fans favorite (some was even considered as the best of the series), but the moment they can't keep up with the whole Nat Dex anymore, some fans start harassing/insulting him and act like he was the one that ruined the whole franchise...

The decision was made by all parties involved (Nintendo, GF, and Creatures), but GF takes all the blame somehow...

I can see why people have criticism toward the franchise, I have that too, it's all because Nintendo, GF, Creatures were too scared that they might break the franchise so they always take the baby-step instead of a big leap forward...

- I want the game to add more RPG elements to it, for example, how about copy BOTW and add "climbing" so the protagonist can go anywhere.
- Take some inspiration from Xeno2, Pokemon that appear in the overworld will look more alive, other Pokemon will be random encounter. GF have take 1 step toward with the mixing of both like I want, but the overworld Pokemon still not look alive that much.

But instead of actual constructive criticism, all the things some of them do is calling them lazy/incompetent, some are overreacting over everything, some are spreading misinformation, and some are just too toxic to mention.
Yeah I would take the Wild Area any day over all 1000 pokemon. Its funny that the pokemon are the thing they complain about lol. When they have the skill to make a huge world maybe then they can add all those pokemon.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
This past week felt really long and really short all at the same time.

At the moment, I've seen one unrevealed Galar form, heard what two others were but I haven't seen the designs look like or their typing, and then I've seen the starters and about two other unrevealed new Pokemon.

Sounds like there's a TON of new stuff for me to see when the game comes out, and I'm looking forward to it.

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for keeping the FriendDex updated! I need to go through and add the latest batches to my Switch tonight. So freaking ready

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to let go of Death Stranding, which is getting so much praise with my inner circle, to finally buy a Switch and Pokémon Sword. I really love this franchise and I've been there day one for every release (except Let's Go, but that's on GF, not me), even in japanese.

But gof forgive me if the mixed receptions to the leaks (I'm staying spoiler-free since someone told me the starters leaked) and the negative takes I've seen today on the games are not making my decision feel wrong to me. I got a huge backlog on Switch so it's not like I'm buying the console just for this, but if I miss out on an impactful game release like DS seems to be just to be betrayed by one of my most beloved franchise, I will legit cry.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Ultra Beasts. I hope we get a few new ones at some point. I'm all for those weird designs and ideas.
I would like GF to go further and make a Pokemon game that takes place in a completely alien world instead of a region that's a Poke-equivalent to real world locations. The Pokemon there all be Ultra Beasts.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I don't get it either. I understand that people are sad that their favorite Pokemon have been cut from the game, but I also understand why GF made these adjustments. It wasn't being lazy--they're trying to get more people involved in the competitive aspect of Pokemon and made cuts to balance things and to make competing more accessible IMO.

Also, in Gen 3, you could effectively only interact with Hoenn Pokemon like the entire game up until the very end, and it was impossible to get most Gen 1 Pokemon until FR/LG came out. 🤷‍♂️ And people are acting like this is unprecedented. Sigh. I understand that there are a number of young people in the Pokemon fanbase who might not know better, but it really is crazy to me that there are grown people in their 20s/30s harassing Game Freak over a game they haven't even played yet.

It IS unprecedented, because in both Gen 3 or Gen 5, the missing Pokémon were still there. We probably didn't know FR/LG were coming, but some way, somehow, the missing Pokémon could be obtained, so it was ok. Also, Gen 3 was, well, just the third generation, we had only been able to carry on Pokémon from Gen 1 to 2. But here we're talking about 5 generations we've been able to carry on our Pokémon, and it's not even the fact we can't bring the old Pokémon, but that Pokémon are completely absent (unless datamining proves otherwise, which I doubt).

What I mean is that they could've said that for some magical reason, we can't transfer Pokémon from the 3DS to the Switch, but all the old Pokémon are still in the Switch games, and if they aren't catchable in SwSh, they will be in future games and will be able to be transferred in. People would be upset that they can't bring the Pokémon they've trained for years, but at least we would all be able to get a "new version" of every single Pokémon (like it happened in Generation 3) but that isn't the case.

Still I agree nothing justifies harrassing people or insulting them, any kind of violent act towards the developers or other fans that are ok with the change.

Jan 16, 2019
I decided to let go of Death Stranding, which is getting so much praise with my inner circle, to finally buy a Switch and Pokémon Sword. I really love this franchise and I've been there day one for every release (except Let's Go, but that's on GF, not me), even in japanese.

But gof forgive me if the mixed receptions to the leaks (I'm staying spoiler-free since someone told me the starters leaked) and the negative takes I've seen today on the games are not making my decision feel wrong to me. I got a huge backlog on Switch so it's not like I'm buying the console just for this, but if I miss out on an impactful game release like DS seems to be just to be betrayed by one of my most beloved franchise, I will legit cry.

I just want to ask you one question, do you mind when they cut the Dex by half?

Because only half of all Pokemon you know is in the game, if you don't mind about that, go for the game.
If you do mind, then I think it's time for you to stop and come back when it stop bothering you about that.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I just want to ask you one question, do you mind when they cut the Dex by half?

Because only half of all Pokemon you know is in the game, if you don't mind about that, go for the game.
If you do mind, then I think it's time for you to stop and come back when it stop bothering you about that.

I understand why the cut the Dex but I'm not going to defend half of the known Pokémon going MIA. However, I play every first release in a generation with an all-new Pokémon team, so many of the missing ones won't matter to me.

If only I didn't hate like 90% of the new Pokémon revealed for this gen lol

Jan 16, 2019
I would like GF to go further and make a Pokemon game that takes place in a completely alien world instead of a region that's a Poke-equivalent to real world locations. The Pokemon there all be Ultra Beasts.

Can't work...

The idea is when they go from another world to this world, something makes them changed their appearance. If we make the game in another world, then they will have a normal appearance and not weird-looking like this.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
Yeah I would take the Wild Area any day over all 1000 pokemon. Its funny that the pokemon are the thing they complain about lol. When they have the skill to make a huge world maybe then they can add all those pokemon.

Pokémon being the thing they complain about, in a POKÉMON GAME! Hilarious lol

The world doesn't need to be huge, because the 800 - 900+ Pokémon don't need to be catchable in the games. They just need to allow to transfer them from other versions. People that don't care about National Dex, shouldn't even know about the existence of those other Pokémon, it should be transparent, and should limit their experience to what the game offers in that region, but every Pokémon should be able to be transferred for those interested.

It's quite clear that will never be the case again in the future though, so it's time for people to move on.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I understand why the cut the Dex but I'm not going to defend half of the known Pokémon going MIA. However, I play every first release in a generation with an all-new Pokémon team, so many of the missing ones won't matter to me.

If only I didn't hate like 90% of the new Pokémon revealed for this gen lol
From my understanding the reception was positive outside of the Pokedex stuff. I haven't looked at any of the stuff though.

Scorbunny

Jun 14, 2019
I'm not team pure, I saw maybe a little over half of the new pokemon. I ran once the whole dex leaked though so I should still hsve some surprises left in store.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon being the thing they complain about, in a POKÉMON GAME! Hilarious lol

The world doesn't need to be huge, because the 800 - 900+ Pokémon don't need to be catchable in the games. They just need to allow to transfer them from other versions. People that don't care about National Dex, shouldn't even know about the existence of those other Pokémon, it should be transparent, and should limit their experience to what the game offers in that region, but every Pokémon should be able to be transferred for those interested.

It's quite clear that will never be the case again in the future though, so it's time for people to move on.
I think there's many more advancements this series can reach as mechanically and gameplay wise.

Having all of the pokemon is not a big deal to me and its probably stemmed from when I was a kid not having money to get extra copies or even a link cable lol. I never could get all the pokemon and I always thought it was unfair when I ocassionally ran into someone with charmander and stuff on pokemon ruby/sapphire

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a complete living dex Gens 1 - 6 and even I can't really muster that much disappointment over it because I know I'm gonna be using the new Pokemon and I only transfer the others for Pokedex credit. Since they moved the Dex to Bank, and now Home I guess then I'll transfer them there. There's some trained Pokemon I'm bummed I won't be able to use in competition this time around sure, but the fact that this element has completely consumed the conversation surrounding this game is insane to me considering that Home won't even be out until sometime next year.

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
I think there's many more advancements this series can reach as mechanically and gameplay wise.

Having all of the pokemon is not a big deal to me and its probably stemmed from when I was a kid not having money to get extra copies or even a link cable lol. I never could get all the pokemon and I always thought it was unfair when I ocassionally ran into someone with charmander and stuff on pokemon ruby/sapphire
Yeah same for me, couldn't even get into competitive play because of that, so having the chance now with SwSh to get into competitive play is really exciting for me.

Baby Bird

Nov 5, 2017
I'm gonna go with a quite unpopular opinion around these circles, but while I do feel bad for gamefreak's employees, and designers such as James Turner, for the hugely disproportionate reaction to the whole Dexit stuff, as well as the toxic behavior of a part of the fanbase (which has been notorious), I can't really feel bad about people in management positions (such as Masuda and Ohmori) who handled the whole Dexit situation poorly from the beginning. Plus, I also think that the toxic behavior is in part a reaction to another incredibly toxic part of the fanbase who rush to defend the direction of Pokemon games no matter how poorly thought out some of the direction decisions are. When you see any criticism you have to a franchise being dissmissed as an exaggeration, it is easy to turn toxic yourself.

While I never expected a full pokedex at launch, smart franchise planning + the fact that it is 2019 and games can be updated, could easily solve the issue. For instance, it is likely that SwSh are not going to be the last pokemon games to ever be launched. For instance, suppose the long rumored D/P remakes are in the pipeline, and they are based on Platinum's pokedex which has 210 Pokemon. So those are 210 pokemon that are going to have to be made anyway, which could have been excluded from the initial batch of Pokemon in SwSh, and saved to be released at later dates as the development of the remakes progressed. At some point, they will have to future proof their models and animations, as the issue will only grow worse as new games are launched.

The whole backlash was due to a silly decision that people would be ok not being able to play with their favorite characters, when that is one of the central points of the franchise. So, whoever decided that or has the power to change this, by thinking of suitable alternatives but choose not do so, are to blame. It is a shame that the reaction reached such a toxic point, and that common employees have to suffer because of bad management decisions and reactions.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
From my understanding the reception was positive outside of the Pokedex stuff. I haven't looked at any of the stuff though.

I've looked through some of them, and it has been mostly receptive (except for the starters), but it's kind of a love it or hate it situation, kinda like gen 5. The designs are VERY out there.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Part of me wonders if there's any chance at all that we'll see mystery gifts and events/raids where they add in old fan favorites that didn't make it into SwSh's regional dex.

Deleted member 25140

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The barnacle pokemon from gen 5 is so unnerving i still cant look at it for more than a few secs before i just go nope and look away.

i can see how its a nicely designed pokemon and a good idea as a concept, but something in my lizard brain just nopes everytime i see it.
3d1.gif

Don't talk smack about my bro

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana

Yes. Ideally this should allow them to improve in other areas.

Personally, other than improving the battles both in terms of mechanics, but mostly in the aesthetical aspect (better size proportion, more personalized animations, better idle poses, etc) I really don't expect other stuff. Many people give so much importance to the overworld, and want an open world and whatnot, or the wild area to be bigger, but, why do they even want that, if they don't even want to catch too many Pokémon? If they just want the open world to find people to fight against, it would be so much easier to just battle them at a facility like the battle tower or so.

I don't know what to say it, it's like people want the Pokémon games to be all about exploring, and the map, and the dungeons, and whatnot, and while that spices up the adventure, I keep seeing battles as the main point of the Pokémon games. All the maps and NPC's and stuff is just to have a reason for all those battles (against trainers or against wild Pokémon). Like, I'm not against things that add fun or entertainment to the experience, but I don't see it as something that the main Pokémon games NEED, in the sense that they're lacking it right now, in order to be complete or something (unlike missing Pokémon). They're just extra stuff, a bonus on top of the main purpose of the game.

If the developers could give us both a huge and enriched experience in the overworld, with dungeons and puzzles, and many different actions that the trainer could do to explore the areas, AND on top of that give us the ultimate battle experience, that would be more than welcomed. But if they're clearly struggling to improve everything and have to make a choice about what should they be focusing on, I'll always pick the battles / the Pokémon (which are the ones that battle).

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Less than a week to go, folks! I'm rushing through my third Three Houses playthrough to finish it in time, can't believe it's almost here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna go with a quite unpopular opinion around these circles, but while I do feel bad for gamefreak's employees, and designers such as James Turner, for the hugely disproportionate reaction to the whole Dexit stuff, as well as the toxic behavior of a part of the fanbase (which has been notorious), I can't really feel bad about people in management positions (such as Masuda and Ohmori) who handled the whole Dexit situation poorly from the beginning. Plus, I also think that the toxic behavior is in part a reaction to another incredibly toxic part of the fanbase who rush to defend the direction of Pokemon games no matter how poorly thought out some of the direction decisions are. When you see any criticism you have to a franchise being dissmissed as an exaggeration, it is easy to turn toxic yourself.

While I never expected a full pokedex at launch, smart franchise planning + the fact that it is 2019 and games can be updated, could easily solve the issue. For instance, it is likely that SwSh are not going to be the last pokemon games to ever be launched. For instance, suppose the long rumored D/P remakes are in the pipeline, and they are based on Platinum's pokedex which has 210 Pokemon. So those are 210 pokemon that are going to have to be made anyway, which could have been excluded from the initial batch of Pokemon in SwSh, and saved to be released at later dates as the development of the remakes progressed. At some point, they will have to future proof their models and animations, as the issue will only grow worse as new games are launched.

The whole backlash was due to a silly decision that people would be ok not being able to play with their favorite characters, when that is one of the central points of the franchise. So, whoever decided that or has the power to change this, by thinking of suitable alternatives but choose not do so, are to blame. It is a shame that the reaction reached such a toxic point, and that common employees have to suffer because of bad management decisions and reactions.
I mean there was stuff like someone pretending to be an old GF employee and accusing Masuda of rape. The way some are treating the higher ups has definitely gone too far for something like a Pokedex.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Part of me wonders if there's any chance at all that we'll see mystery gifts and events/raids where they add in old fan favorites that didn't make it into SwSh's regional dex.

They've been doing this for all the previous games, so I don't see why SwSh would be any different.

They can just update the game with the new Pokémon and deliver it through Mystery Gift. It isn't hard if you do it for just a few of them.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The amount of abuse Serebii is getting on 4chan is absolutely disgraceful, I know I said it before but I keep getting surprised and how low that forum can sink.
All because I mentioned that criticism and harassment aren't the same thing and, considering the absolute shitshow going around, sent a message to Masuda to make sure he knows not everyone is like that

killertofu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Should I feel bad for all the film crew when a movie disappoints me? Should I feel bad for the audio engineer when I don't like a new album?

Give me a break. Don't create content if you can't handle the criticism.

The only empathy I feel is because whoever the higher ups are at GameFreak that botched the handling of this PR. And obviously those calling for death threats and other juvenile behavior can suck it but I'm not gonna temper my words if I think the game looks bad

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
They've been doing this for all the previous games, so I don't see why SwSh would be any different.

They can just update the game with the new Pokémon and deliver it through Mystery Gift. It isn't hard if you do it for just a few of them.
If they do it, I'm really not looking forward to the potential toxicity it brings out. "Why does fanfavorite1 get a mystery gift! Where's fanfavorite2! Fuck Game Freak!" etc

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Should I feel bad for all the film crew when a movie disappoints me? Should I feel bad for the audio engineer when I don't like a new album?

Give me a break. Don't create content if you can't handle the criticism.

The only empathy I feel is because whoever the higher ups are at GameFreak that botched the handling of this PR. And obviously those calling for death threats and other juvenile behavior can suck it but I'm not gonna temper my words if I think the game looks bad
No, but you should feel bad for the film crew when they get endlessly harassed and attacked because a movie that's not out yet is disappointing people

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
All because I mentioned that criticism and harassment aren't the same thing and, considering the absolute shitshow going around, sent a message to Masuda to make sure he knows not everyone is like that

Huge difference between harassing and criticizing. I've been very critical of some choices in the series and in Sword and Shield in particular, but I'd never go harass Masuda or anyone involved in the project because of it. That's just not right.

If they do it, I'm really not looking forward to the potential toxicity it brings out. "Why does fanfavorite1 get a mystery gift! Where's fanfavorite2! Fuck Game Freak!" etc

At this point, pretty much anything they do will bring toxicity, so who cares? I'm sure if they suddenly decided to bring the whole National Dex back there would be backlash too because "they should have done it from the beginning" or something like that.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Huge difference between harassing and criticizing. I've been very critical of some choices in the series and in Sword and Shield in particular, but I'd never go harass Masuda or anyone involved in the project because of it. That's just not right.
Exactly, and when I said harassing was crossing a line, people just responded "So we're not allowed to criticise?"

The whole situation is so frustrating. Like I don't want the dex cut but SWSH look fun and I'm probably going to enjoy the hell out of them

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't wait for the game to finally come out so I can delve into it and forget about the whole shit show that has been going ever since the game was first revealed.

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the lowest the Pokemon fandom has ever gone? It certainly feels like it.

Anyway, just 1 more week of avoiding spoilers to go.