• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exactly, and when I said harassing was crossing a line, people just responded "So we're not allowed to criticise?"

The whole situation is so frustrating. Like I don't want the dex cut but SWSH look fun and I'm probably going to enjoy the hell out of them
These days people will play victim to try to make you feel guilty just so they can continue with their toxic behavior.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Damn, I just realized that I won't even know which Pokémon are going to be the new ones when catching them.

Will there be a way to differentiate them? Via their number in the dex?

I've only played Gen 1 + 2...

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
This reminds when people complained that you could only catch unova pokémon in BW and the old mons were locked behind post game. That's a shame because I looove BW for that reason, it was the breath of fresh air that I needed at the time.

We need another B/W. the focus on "new" was so refreshing

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
I have a very loose knowledge of pokemon.

That said, going try my best to make some sort of workable all bird team, if that's even possible.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I just realized that I won't even know which Pokémon are going to be the new ones when catching them.

Will there be a way to differentiate them? Via their number in the dex?

I've only played Gen 1 + 2...
You could always go on bulbapedia or serebii to learn about the Pokemon from the gens you missed. Otherwise it'll be largely all new mons for you.

Especially since
Gen 1 and 2 only make up about a quarter of the returning Pokemon

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
6ki5ou8m1k931.gif

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Omega Ruby run update:

Reaching the end of Victory Road now. Wally just became the biggest badass in the game with the best theme.

WTF?

Primal Groudon turned his party into a red smear on the ground obviously but this is awesome.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Omega Ruby run update:

Reaching the end of Victory Road now. Wally just became the biggest badass in the game with the best theme.

WTF?

Primal Groudon turned his party into a red smear on the ground obviously but this is awesome.
How are you liking it ?

Wally arc was pretty cool and is such a positive message.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just added my IDs to the google doc file. We're less than a week away now.

By that time next week, we'll all be roaming in the wild area already.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
How are you liking it ?

Wally arc was pretty cool and is such a positive message.
Its not one of the best but it absolutely has its moments. The fight with Groudon was great and the twist with Wally might be one of my favorite battles in the series.

I just wish they had used him and May more. Both rivals feel underused here but I think Wally should have been the first Bianca, where every fight feels like its completely in your favor until the last one. They could have done more with his journey, I think.

When Mega Gallade transforms while the electric guitar is playing in the background...so damn good.

Last edited:

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I have a very loose knowledge of pokemon.

That said, going try my best to make some sort of workable all bird team, if that's even possible.
Not only is it possible, it'll probably be pretty easy
Here is a list of all the bird Pokemon that are confirmed pre-release

Corviknight (Flying/Steel)
Cramorant (Flying/Water)
Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd [Sword] (Normal/Flying -> Fighting)
--
Hoothoot/Noctowl (Normal/Flying)
Togekiss [Debatably a bird] (Fairy/Flying)
Natu/Xatu (Psychic/Flying)
Wingull/Pelliper (Water/Flying)
Pidove/Tranquill/Unfeazant (Normal/Flying)
Ruffflet/Braviary [probably exclusive against Vullaby] (Normal/Flying)
Vullaby/Mandibuzz [probably exclusive against Rufflet] (Dark/Flying)
Hawlucha (Fighting/Flying)

The top mons are new ones or have new Evos.

Definitely recommend Corviknight to help alleviate against Flying weakness (specifically Rock and Ice since Steel is Super Effective against them)

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
So i got some basic questions as a noob.

- How many Pokemon can you have in a team?
- I assume the more diverse your team is with types the better?
- Can i ride some of the larger Pokemon? For example i see some horse looking ones.
- Is there a season pass or DLC for this game announced?

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think you have to be worried about that.

OTs in my experience have usually been pretty positive. Its the review threads before them that are all out warfare.
I mean, even now we have some people who are coming in here victim blaming and downplaying the severity of how some people are acting and that's with the filter of people who are trying to avoid spoilers. I don't think we can safely say that the OT will be spotless.

- Can i ride some of the larger Pokemon? For example i see some horse looking ones.

-6 at a time, but you can swap them out using a PC (accessible from Pokemon Centers or anywhere in the Wild Area)
-Generally speaking yes, but diverse typings doesn't necessarily mean you won't have a common weakness and Pokemon can sometimes cover for their weakness with a type of move that doesn't match their own type
-You could last gen, but it doesn't seem like it this generation
-Pokemon generally doesn't have DLC or updates outside of patches. Sometimes there are mythical Pokemon which are special Pokemon given at events, but those are free

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017

1: Six pokemon and you can change them in and out pretty freely in SWSH.
2: Its a smart way to roll usually. Monotype teams can be fun but have some pretty bad luck sometimes.
3: Not sure. You had pokemon in the last two games that allowed you to cross areas you couldn't normally by riding them but I haven't seen or heard anything about them for this one.
4: Nope and it doesn't really seem like the kind of thing Pokemon would do. DLC/events will more than likely be free and the second enhanced version will like be its own game if tradition holds.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

- Yes
- don't think so, you will not always be on foot tho
- nope

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017

1. You can carry six Pokémon on your team, however, you can access your storage and interchange Pokémon with relative ease in Sword and Shield. You're also right that the more diversity of types in a team, the better capable you'll be in battle.

2. I don't know if you can ride Pokémon, but you could in the last iterations.

3. No Season Pass or DLC has been announced.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

- You can have a party of up to six Pokemon, but no hard cap on how many you can catch.
- Yes, type coverage is the core of Pokemon battles, do variety is important.
- Not in this game, no.
- Not for now.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

• yes-ish
  • no
  • no

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
God, I can't wait for the review thread.

*someone gives it an 7/10*

"Is this the end of Pokemon?"

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of basic, what is this OU, UU, smogon stuff? I tried searching it but all i got was the smogon site. Is this an official thing?

Like, can you filter on the past pokemon games on how you would want to participate online? Like say if you want to play against someone where no legedaries are allowed, you can participate in that league? Was it ranked? How did this all work?

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of basic, what is this OU, UU, smogon stuff? I tried searching it but all i got was the smogon site. Is this an official thing?

Like, can you filter on the past pokemon games on how you would want to participate online? Like say if you want to play against someone where no legedaries are allowed, you can participate in that league? Was it ranked? How did this all work?
There does tend to be a no legendaries filter, but the rest(Smogon tiers) are unofficial.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's just tiers for meta competitive stuff to make things more enjoyable, it doesn't effect you if you're just playing the game. None of that is in the games themselves. I'm not sure how the online is structured this time but usually in the online seasonal competitions they restrict legendaries.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I think this will be the first time I'll try to compete in an Online Competition. Maybe not this one because it starts in December and I want to take my sweet time with the game.

Pelican

Oct 26, 2017
Here is a list of all the bird Pokemon that are confirmed pre-release

Corviknight (Flying/Steel)
Cramorant (Flying/Water)
Farfetch'd/Sirfetch'd [Sword] (Normal/Flying -> Fighting)
--
Hoothoot/Noctowl (Normal/Flying)
Togekiss [Debatably a bird] (Fairy/Flying)
Natu/Xatu (Psychic/Flying)
Wingull/Pelliper (Water/Flying)
Pidove/Tranquill/Unfeazant (Normal/Flying)
Ruffflet/Braviary [probably exclusive against Vullaby] (Normal/Flying)
Vullaby/Mandibuzz [probably exclusive against Rufflet] (Dark/Flying)
Hawlucha (Fighting/Flying)

The top mons are new ones or have new Evos.

Definitely recommend Corviknight to help alleviate against Flying weakness (specifically Rock and Ice since Steel is Super Effective against them)

You are a lovely person, thank you for putting this together.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
It's just tiers for meta competitive stuff to make things more enjoyable, it doesn't effect you if you're just playing the game. None of that is in the games themselves. I'm not sure how the online is structured this time but usually in the online seasonal competitions they restrict legendaries.
There does tend to be a no legendaries filter, but the rest(Smogon tiers) are unofficial.
Thanks. The seasonal competition is official as well or outside the game?

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017

OU and other Smogon classes are unofficial and mostly just a measure a Pokemon up against its single battle potential.

Official VGC matches are played Doubles, which is what Pokemon is balanced around. Each year has a different list of acceptable mons (usually based on the current regional Dex), but a large amount of Legendaries are cut or have a limit. Usual suspects for cut are box legendaries and mythicals.

Because of the difference between what Smogon focuses on and official VGC rules, there can be a bit of disparity between what what Pokemon is ranked there and how it performs in VGC. Protean!Greninja is an absolute beast in singles because it strikes fast and hard, but it doesn't hold up as much in Doubles because it's also extremely frail so focusing in on it one turn would crush it.

That's not to say rankings are useless though, sometimes a good mon is just a good mon.