• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Omega Ruby. I have now completed all the mainline games (remakes count, damn it!).

Not the best (still better than X&Y though) but I liked how they handled the legendaries, Delta Episode and Zinnia were probably the best bit of storytelling in the game and Wally is my boy.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
For reference:
zAh1mk0.jpg

The Alolan Diglett and Geodude families are terrible. I love Pancake Raichu and Oil Spill Muk.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I went from thinking Sandslash was just kinda cool but eh, to absolutely loving Alolan Sandslash. I love the color scheme and the look of the ice spikes so much. Skyrocketed into my list of top favorites. Gen VII's second best addition after Araquanid.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Hate Alolan Geodude and Meowth and their evos but other than that, I thought the regional variants in SM turned out great.

thelongestj

Oct 27, 2017
I love love almost all of the Alolan regional variants. One of the best parts of S/M.

For the dex stuff, I am not letting myself get upset about its implications until at least the release of Pokemon Home. Up until that point it will be the same as any other generation to me, where there is a limited number of returning Pokemon based on the regional Pokedex so I wouldn't have noticed the dex cuts until Home's release anyway.

Pokemon is pretty much a yearly franchise so we'll likely be getting another game next year. I don't think it will be a new generation so that means either a third version / sequel or "ultra" version of Sword / Shield or a remake of a past game. In either case, I think there will be new / returning Pokemon added to the Pokedex, so hopefully it will be like Gen III where between different games on the same console you could obtain all of the Pokemon. Maybe this time around only the second or third game on Switch will be able to have a full Pokedex.

Scorbunny

Jun 14, 2019
Can we talk about just how goos the music is this generation. Whatever theme plays during the tetris 99 game is so damn good, and the gym leader theme and wild battle themes and Tobys music. They delivered on the sound track!

GlacialTruffle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For some peace of mind: Would it be hard to trade online for a Galarian Ponyta if I got Sword? It kinda looks like online trades are random.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
I just hope the new pokemons doesn't have a low appearance %. I hated that majority of the things I ran into on SM/USUM are the old pokemons lmfao since I always play with new Pokemon on my first run.

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
I just hope the new pokemons doesn't have a low appearance %. I hated that majority of the things I ran into on SM/USUM are the old pokemons lmfao since I always play with new Pokemon on my first run.

yeah. I'm really, really hoping the new mons generally have high encounter rates so that we're seeing them more often than the old mons. I hate playing a new gen only to keep running into old mons, and X/Y was guilty of this too

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I'm kinda proud of myself for not looking at most leaks (I ran into the starters since Twitter wouldn't shut up about e), pretty much my first Pokemon game where I'll be going in mostly blind.

...But if the hairstyles for characters leaked then I might take a look at those just to check if they finally gave a good long hair style to the male trainer.

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
I'm kinda proud of myself for not looking at most leaks (I ran into the starters since Twitter wouldn't shut up about e), pretty much my first Pokemon game where I'll be going in mostly blind.

...But if the hairstyles for characters leaked then I might take a look at those just to check if they finally gave a good long hair style to the male trainer.
As a fellow long hair lover, there's been a couple nice long hairs shown off for the male trainer in the trailers.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I have the urge to look for my Gameboy Color and play some Pokémon Crystal.

I'm still not sure if I should play Sw in german or english...
I grew up with the Pokémon in german back then, but I missed that many Pokémon, that it wouldn't be that much of a problem to switch the language now.

Nope. They will all be new to you lol.
I mean, technically all pokémon are new to you? So it doesn't really matter haha

Edit: Beaten >.>
I'm probably going to look those up that I caught so I know which ones are "new".
You could always go on bulbapedia or serebii to learn about the Pokemon from the gens you missed. Otherwise it'll be largely all new mons for you.

Especially since
Gen 1 and 2 only make up about a quarter of the returning Pokemon
Yeah, this.
I would pay serious money to forget a ton of pokemon.
It could end up being a little bit intimidating to see that many unknown Pokémon :D
I don't really know many of them (just what I saw in Let's Fo) but that Ice Sandslash was was pretty great
That Sandslash was in my team of six in Lets Go :) Loved it.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Will it be possible to use the pokebank to start a game, transfer starter pokemon to pokebank, delete save file and restart game until you have all 3 starters and then transfer them back to your team?

PirateKingERA

Aug 22, 2018
Houston, Texas
What have they put in place to stop people from doing that? Hopefully the point at which you can start trading doesn't take too long. Also cheers mate! Really appreciate the offer and I'll let you know if I want to go ahead and do that.
You can probably start trading right after you get your starter, the thing bank is it's not compatible with the Switch, Pokemon Home is the replacement and will be release in March iirc.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I have the urge to look for my Gameboy Color and play some Pokémon Crystal.

I'm still not sure if I should play Sw in german or english...

I used to play them in German too but ever since I started using forums I switched to English. Otherwise you have to look up the English names everytime people discuss them here and that was too cumbersome for me.

C RONALDO

Oct 27, 2017
As the name implies, past Pokemon games included the Exp. Share item so that members in the party not currently used in battle can earn experience. However, in Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield, Game Freak has done away with it entirely. All party members are now automatically given experience equally. Some fans were surprised by this since there's no way of turning it off.
In an interview with Dutch site InsideGamer, director Shigeru Ohmori explained the move. He noted that most players had Exp. Share turned on, and those who want to train one Pokemon at a time can remove everyone else from the party.
Ohmori's full words:

"Those who have it turned off want to train one specific Pokemon. We thought: is there a way to achieve that? There is, simply by putting the rest of your Pokémon in the PC."
Big thanks to MikeDeAardappel and MehikiStefan for assisting with the native translation.

what a great answer :)

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Based on the leaks alleging a lack of beloved features, Dexit and Masuda's insistence on not "inconveniencing" players, I'm very likely not getting it. Essentially less big features for a higher price tag. That may change depending on fan and critical consensus.
Game Freak needs a big shakeup if they want to get their groove back post-Gen V.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
What's gonna be the spoiler policy for the OT? When can we start talking about the new Pokémon? A week after release or something like that?

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I just want the game in my hands now. I'm at a part in LM3 that's pissing me off and I know I'll have to look up the solution and I don't want to do it.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Those of you who try and complete the Regional Pokedex in each game, how do you prefer to do it? Are you a play through and then catch kind of person or a catch as you go kind of person? I'm definitely a catch as you type, I tend not to leave an area until I've caught everything possible.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Those of you who try and complete the Regional Pokedex in each game, how do you prefer to do it? Are you a play through and then catch kind of person or a catch as you go kind of person? I'm definitely a catch as you type, I tend not to leave an area until I've caught everything possible.

I try to capture everything in an area before I move on to the next one, which makes me worried about the Wild Area.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Will it be possible to use the pokebank to start a game, transfer starter pokemon to pokebank, delete save file and restart game until you have all 3 starters and then transfer them back to your team?
I'll be trading the starters to my partner and restarting until we both have one of each. Hopefully trading is unlocked relatively quickly.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I just realized we have no idea how the day/night cycle works in the game, or how often the weather changes in the Wild Area. I hope it's not tied to real time again, it's a bit annoying.

Jun 2, 2019
HAHAHAHA. 🤣
I wonder where do they get this "intel" for experience share. Surveing players? Watching them play test? From all over or just Japan? So many questions. 🤔

Don't the 3DS send Nintendo gameplay and usage data? Can it be that, when connected, the Pokémon games send stactics about the different item use in game?

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I'm a playthrough and then catch type of player. That may change though since the pokedex now has a dexnav of sorts