• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Those of you who try and complete the Regional Pokedex in each game, how do you prefer to do it? Are you a play through and then catch kind of person or a catch as you go kind of person? I'm definitely a catch as you type, I tend not to leave an area until I've caught everything possible.

I used to catch everything before moving on, but nowadays i catch 5 pokemon plus the legendary while playing the game, then fill it in after i finished.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
Don't the 3DS send Nintendo gameplay and usage data? Can it be that, when connected, the Pokémon games send stactics about the different item use in game?

Yes, maybe. I thought it was only about playtime and little stuff, not that detailed. Actually makes me want to read the "terms and conditions" to what I'm allowing them to peek, but as I recall, they don't detail it.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Those of you who try and complete the Regional Pokedex in each game, how do you prefer to do it? Are you a play through and then catch kind of person or a catch as you go kind of person? I'm definitely a catch as you type, I tend not to leave an area until I've caught everything possible.

I'm a catch as you go type by nature, but forced myself to suppress that urge in the last few games because completely combing through an area tends to overlevel you fast and I'd like to keep some resemblance of a challenge. In Pokemon Shield I plan to only catch all the new pokemon I encounter plus old pokemon I want on my team, then fill in the Dex later. No hanging around until I'm the champ of all Galar otherwise.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
So another noob question...

There is experience share, eh? If so...is it for only the 6 Pokemon you have in your squad? Im assuming that is the case. Or is it for all the Pokemon you caught in your bank, or whatever its called?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain

There is experience share, eh? If so...is it for only the 6 Pokemon you have in your squad? Im assuming that is the case. Or is it for all the Pokemon you caught in your bank, or whatever its called?

Only for the Pokémon currently on your team, yes. So you can store the ones you don't want to get Exp on your PC at any moment.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
Another noob question!

So how many skills/abilities do Pokemon generally learn? Do you equip them? How many can be equipped, if so?

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017

The six pokemon in your party will get experience. Anything in your box will not. Games during the DS era had an exp share, but it only worked for one pokemon. It was a held item.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another noob question!

So how many skills/abilities do Pokemon generally learn? Do you equip them? How many can be equipped, if so?

The only thing a Pokémon can learn are its moves. You learn them progressively as they level up (you get one roughly every 3-4 levels), and you can have four moves at the same time. You'll have to delete one to learn a new move, but you'll be able to learn them back at the Pokémon center if you regret your choice.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
I will be excited on Monday, my real countdown begins then, knowing just mere days away from release

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Another noob question!

Each pokemon can have 4 moves at one time. They learn new moves at certain levels, depending on the pokemon. When you hit that level, you can choose to replace one of your four moves, or not learn the new move.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As the name implies, past Pokemon games included the Exp. Share item so that members in the party not currently used in battle can earn experience. However, in Pokemon Sword and Pokemon Shield, Game Freak has done away with it entirely. All party members are now automatically given experience equally. Some fans were surprised by this since there's no way of turning it off.
In an interview with Dutch site InsideGamer, director Shigeru Ohmori explained the move. He noted that most players had Exp. Share turned on, and those who want to train one Pokemon at a time can remove everyone else from the party.
Ohmori's full words:

Big thanks to MikeDeAardappel and MehikiStefan for assisting with the native translation.

what a great answer :)

Lol my worst nightmare confirmed. I was told "surely the game balance will be adjusted accordingly"

Nope. Turns out just fucking play Menu the Game the entire time to avoid being overleveled.

These games need new perspectives in the direction department based on insane sentiments like this.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
I just realized we have no idea how the day/night cycle works in the game, or how often the weather changes in the Wild Area. I hope it's not tied to real time again, it's a bit annoying.
I like the day/night cycle being tied to real time to be honest, as long as there's no consequences for time-changing, it should be fine, right?

Another noob question!

For skills, I'm assuming you mean moves. A Pokemon can have 4 moves at a time and can learn them a number of ways. The most obvious is leveling up gets you access to new moves, but you can also get them through TMs (items that teach moves), tutors (npcs that teach moves), and breeding (a parent of a different species can sometimes pass down moves they learn through another means). Once a Pokemon forgets a move, it's gone unless you talk to a Move Reminder. Luckily, SwSh added a new QoL feature where there's one in every Pokemon center instead of hidden away in a town at some point in the game. Occasionally, a Move Reminder can teach some Pokemon moves they didn't learn yet. An example would be Gardevoir learns Moonblast usually around Level 50, but a Move Reminder could help you access it earlier if you went to them before that.

For abilities, Pokemon can only have one ability at a time, but most have at least two possibilities. There are regular abilities that any Pokemon in the wild will have, but there are also Hidden Abilities that can be obtained through special means like Raids or chaining Pokemon until one glows gold. Hidden Abilities aren't necessarily better than the regular ones, though.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I remember reading here on Era that the moment when you get your Pokemon is really close to the beginning or that you can easily save and reset just before you pick the Pokemon, can someone confirm that? I want spend a couple of hours trying to get a shiny Sobble, if I don't have to sit through 10 minutes of cutscenes for every reset at least.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Lol my worst nightmare confirmed. I was told "surely the game balance will be adjusted accordingly"

Nope. Turns out just fucking play Menu the Game the entire time to avoid being overleveled.

These games need new perspectives in the direction department based on insane sentiments like this.

That quote doesn't say that the game won't be balanced accordingly, which is still the likely assumption. I highly doubt that the game will be balanced around Exp Share not existing.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
6 days! Almost there

NcKeZ0d.gif

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I remember reading here on Era that the moment when you get your Pokemon is really close to the beginning or that you can easily save and reset just before you pick the Pokemon, can someone confirm that? I want spend a couple of hours trying to get a shiny Sobble, if I don't have to sit through 10 minutes of cutscenes for every reset at least.
It's very early in the game and no long cut scenes this time. And cut scenes can also be skipped. Only thing I can't confirm is if you can soft reset. I believe you couldn't in Let's Go.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
On the reseting thing, should be pretty fast to save before the starter, then close the game and reopen it for "reseting" right ?

I definitively want a female sobble, but now im considering resetting for a shiny.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
The quick start to getting your starter in this game is so fuckin appreciated after S/M. It took insanely long after picking your starter to have control again.

My only worry now is how long it'll take before you can check your starter's nature. I kind of hope Hop will give you an option to immediately battle or not so you can check and reset if it's what you don't want.

Though I don't think the amount of dialogue after the first battle will be that long, since previewers stated that you're able to go off through Route 1 pretty quickly afterwards.

I hate how excited I am for this game only because of how much GameFreak seems to have streamlined the start of the story after S/M.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'd like to see how the shiny starters look before trying for one. Imagine if you restart 100 times and you get an ugly green Scorbunny.

Oct 28, 2019
I like the day/night cycle being tied to real time to be honest, as long as there's no consequences for time-changing, it should be fine, right?

It sucks, I generally only play games late at night and to go through the entire game in the dark while all the footage has shown that the colours really pop during daytime is really disheartening.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ToD tied to the system clock is fucking terrible for a game like Pokemon, where things only happen at specific times

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They could include a setting that reverses day and night time relative to the system clock and make it that you can only change it once everyday in order to stop potential abuse 🤷🏾‍♂️

Nov 4, 2019
How common are the nature mints? If they're easy to get I no longer have to soft reset my starter or spend too long in routes to catch certain natures. I would not even need synchronizers. Or are they rare?

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
Any word yet on the direct of the story for this one? I already have Sword preordered from Amazon.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
How common are the nature mints? If they're easy to get I no longer have to soft reset my starter or spend too long in routes to catch certain natures. I would not even need synchronizers. Or are they rare?
I'll put this behind spoiler tags just in case someone doesn't want to know.
You have to farm BP at the Battle Tower in the endgame, so you'll still have to reset unless you don't care until that late. And they're not cheap. I think like 50BP for just one.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany

No idea about rarity, but here's another consideration: Reportedly mints don't change the nature of a pokemon, only its effect on stats. Similar to how bottle caps max an IV but that 31 won't be passed down to offspring. So if you plan to breed your starter, you may still want to try for a good nature.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if someone can only play late, it sucks to see the whole game only at nighttime. I don't have that problem personally, but some of my friends do.
It sucks, I generally only play games late at night and to go through the entire game in the dark while all the footage has shown that the colours really pop during daytime is really disheartening.
For something like that, they can easily solve it by moving their system times back a few hours, that way the game will play at daytime. It's not like you need your switch to actually know what time it is, right?

"abuse"

or just have a regular sped up ToD like any other game
I think a better option might be to be able to manually change the set time in the Pokemon world and whenever you exit the game, it'll just reset to the system default time. That way you could have an actual 24 hour day while also making sure people don't miss timed events.

You have to farm BP at the Battle Tower in the endgame, so you'll still have to reset unless you don't care until that late. And they're not cheap. I think like 50BP for just one.
I swear to god this is like a fucking infinite loop paradox

You have to get your team good to get the mints to get your team good to get the mints to get your team good. GameFreak don't lock the fucking TEAMBUILDING ITEMS behind a currency that requires you to have BUILT A TEAM

Nov 4, 2019

Thanks, that's a bit more difficult than I hoped. Still be softresetting then!

No idea about rarity, but here's another consideration: Reportedly mints don't change the nature of a pokemon, only its effect on stats. Similar to how bottle caps max an IV but that 31 won't be passed down to offspring. So if you plan to breed your starter, you may still want to try for a good nature.

Really? A good reason to still soft reset. Anyone knows what nature will be best for Sobble? Physical, special, mixed, glass canon, bulky? Would appreciate a PM about it if someone knows the stats, abillity and move pool aleady.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
FWIW I'd be shocked if we don't get at least a few mints, but probably nowhere near enough to cover even half the natures, throughout the game from NPCs or as hidden items.

The philosophy for them seems to be the same GF had with caps: meant to fix shinies or legendaries or other pokemon you grew fond of, but not there to wholly replace breeding.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
#ThankYouGameFreak is #1 trending in the US :)
I'm afraid if it's sarcastic but cautiously optimistic with you smiling.

Edit: I really feel bad for Gamefreak. People have a right to be disappointed but some are just taking it too far and are forgetting that real people are behind these games and they put their hearts and souls into it and have feelings that can be hurt.