• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
I think it's ironic considering every fire type final evo is bipedal. Wonder what they would do with the snake if it was made a fire starter
hiss08_full.jpg

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Now that's a shame.

Also, starters always should be spoiled. Imagine choosing Chespin only knowing this:
651.png
Yeah I did, and I loved it. Despite being more humanoid for a Porcupine/mole/thing Chesnaught was amazing both design wise and usage wise.
They should reveal the MID stages. Not the final ones. Lemme explain:

-With Brionne, you know that the final evolution will probably be a feminine design. Boom, Primarina.

-Combusken? Pignite? Fire/Fighting types? Boom, Emboar, Blaziken.

-Dartrix? Edgy look? Boom, Decidueye.

-Wartortle? WAR turtle? Have a goddamn tank turtle.

-Braixen? Bipedal and using a stick? Here's Delphox.

-Prinplup? Prince in the name, indicating power? Have Napoleon as a penguin.

-Servine? Hey, he has smaller limbs! The final evo is a snake.

I know that there are some exeptions ( Croconaw looses his caveman aspects when he evolves, Dewott becomes quadrupedal, Charmelon is more of a chamelon than a dragon, etc. ) but I would still prefer mid stages than final stages to be revealed.
Dartrix is such a bad example. Its the inverse of the usual, the last stage for some reason reverts back to the first stage colors and Dartrix is as removed from the entire line as the last stage almost always is. I like Decidueye but also hate it for not taking any cues at all from Dartrix.
I just hope that the starters won't all end-up being bipedal/anthropomorphic like the last two gen.
I have a funny feeling that the only anthropomorphic one out of em all will be Grookey, Scorbunny is gonna basically be something akin to typhlosion and Sobble something in between.
Barbarnacle needs more love.

I only played X so there's a ton of Gen VI Pokemon I never got to.
Barbaracle is such a good design, but choosing between it and Tyrantrum for a rock type is impossible when playing X.
This is not a gym, rather the place where the protagonist get the sponsorship to partecipate at the Galar league.
I was clearly shown in the trailer introducing chairman Rose.

I'm not saying you won't battle here a all, since when you'll get the dynamax bracelet, you're are supposed to give it a try.
My bet is against one of your rival.
It's gonna be a gym as well. Galar is gonna be backtrack heaven compared to the last two generation.
I actually really like Emboar. *shrug*
The only reason people hate it is because of the typing, when ironucally enough its the best fire starter of the series.

Zyrokai

Nov 1, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Okay......I've been watching a lot of footage from Google's event today. What's with all the Pokemon stuff dropped in it? What game/app is that with Pikachu and Scorbunny?

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
That's not just the last 2, every gen they were mostly bipedal/more anthro.
They do not look out of place at all. Like Decidueye still has Owl legs so that's not really comparable to Blaziken and Primarina has no legs.

I mean each Gen before the sixth had at least one four-legged Starter, which feel a bit more "animal / monster" than "character". Even Primarina, which doesn't have legs, is pretty much a mermaid.

I will be disappointed if Sobble ends up similar to Greninja.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean each Gen before the sixth had at least one four-legged Starter, which feel a bit more "animal / monster" than "character". Even Primarina, which doesn't have legs, is pretty much a mermaid.

I will be disappointed if Sobble ends up similar to Greninja.

I just think people are fixated on how many legs they stand on instead of how great the creature designs are in general. I don't see how 4 legs is more of a monster than a half-man were cat. Like anthropomorphism is such a classic staple in monster designs through history and they're pocket monsters, not pocket animals. ie. do you think the Minotaur, Satyr or Gorgon are less "monster" because of the semi-human aspect?

JRPGs lean so heavily into existing mythologies which is why theres so many damn World Trees, but Pokemon does a great job at being its own thing. Like Primarina might be a Siren/Mermaid but its also a strange circus sea-lion that blows bubbles.

Last edited:

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
honestly expecting gamefreak to curveball us and make scorbunny's evo a quadruped just because they know we're all expecting it to be bipedal.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
The actual goat gen 6 Pokemon:

500px-673Gogoat.png

my favorite is malamar
This guy has one of the best stat totals and movesets for a grass type and yet it is one of the most forgotten Pokemon introduced in Gen 6; unavailable in Gen 7 and probably won't feature at all in SwSh. Really nice design too, I just never felt the desire to use it

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
This guy has one of the best stat totals and movesets for a grass type and yet it is one of the most forgotten Pokemon introduced in Gen 6; unavailable in Gen 7 and probably won't feature at all in SwSh. Really nice design too, I just never felt the desire to use it

I used it in my last X playthrough which was nice because it can use Surf. Let me use a Gyarados without worrying about having to keep a moveslot handy for Surf.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I hate that some get special privileges. not only does Charizard get two megas, but it's probably gonna get a gigantamax form. Gen 2 starters? nothing. Gen 3 got megas. Gen 4 might (really stressing the might) get Gigantimax forms with its remake

Just having it in would be fine for me, even if it doesn't get any special form.

I just wonder if with this new approach of the series not featuring all the existing Pokémon, if there's gonna come a day when they don't include Charizard, or Mewtwo, or Pikachu, etc.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I have a funny feeling that the only anthropomorphic one out of em all will be Grookey, Scorbunny is gonna basically be something akin to typhlosion and Sobble something in between.

I feel that Grookey's final evo will be more like Mega Swampert and Sobble's will be the one leaning more towards Typhlosion kind of body, like standing in two legs but also being able to walk in 4 if it's needed. Scorbunny is already humanoid so I guess it will turn up looking something similar but taller.

eathdemon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
honestly I have always gone watter since gen 1, but also they never stick around for my real team, mostly b/c of iv/natures/ specail moves, so.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
tumblr_o7090dZMm51vrc197o1_540.jpg

I'll never get over how much better this Popplio evo design is (and the idea behind the Litten one, though that one is a little off imo) than Primarina.

Regardless, I wanted to bring up the point that Incineroar and Samurott are bad designs (or rather, the pokemon lines are poorly designed). Serperior kind of too? They're the only ones where a stance change happens only in the final evo. Samurott's a pretty decent design, but it isn't forshadowed by Dewott at all and the line as a whole suffers for it. I'm not a fan of Delphox or Primarina, but at least those lines use mid evos properly. Mid evos are probably the hardest to design, as they try to balance between being a midpoint but also attempting to have their own identity, so I get why some miss the mark. But then most people don't care about them anyways, lol.

Here's hoping tomorrow has some new ones for us, and that they please every single person looking forward to them! Every single person.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Fake starter evolutions rarely feel like they push themselves enough. I feel like every fake Litten evo I saw was just "big panther"

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I think the things that instantly put me off a Pokemon design are:
1. Uncanny valley human qualities
2. They look like someone was horny while drawing them
3. A combo of the above

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very upset because both Reuniclus and Braviary are some of my favorite Pokémon of all time :(
You could always just trade for on

I'll never get over how much better this Popplio evo design is (and the idea behind the Litten one, though that one is a little off imo) than Primarina.

Regardless, I wanted to bring up the point that Incineroar and Samurott are bad designs (or rather, the pokemon lines are poorly designed). Serperior kind of too? They're the only ones where a stance change happens only in the final evo. Samurott's a pretty decent design, but it isn't forshadowed by Dewott at all and the line as a whole suffers for it. I'm not a fan of Delphox or Primarina, but at least those lines use mid evos properly. Mid evos are probably the hardest to design, as they try to balance between being a midpoint but also attempting to have their own identity, so I get why some miss the mark. But then most people don't care about them anyways, lol.

Here's hoping tomorrow has some new ones for us, and that they please every single person looking forward to them! Every single person.
imo those all look worse than what we got and don't look like Pokemon.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna respond to the hard disagrees with no other explanation, but

you think the Popplio one looks edgy? Edgy? What does that word even mean anymore?

The Popplio one less so but kind of yeah, it has a small face with a serious expression (all 3 seem to) and messy shape design. It looks like yet another artist who just does not understand Sugimori's direction of running the middle ground between cute and cool. Worst of all it just reminds me of all the people who called Popplio's line "too girly" and Incineroar "too human" like they're afraid of some fucking personality.

Last edited:

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I committed myself to choose Grookey, knowing that most grass starters are fun to use. However, if Grookey remains pure Grass and doesn't learn Leech Seed or some other fun utility move, it might only be as enjoyable to use as Chikorita. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. Game Freak has done a pretty good job with starters lately.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017

I definitely like this Popplio evo much better than Primarina. The other two not so much, but definitely Popplio.

Ashflow

Feb 13, 2018
US
Pretty sure people are judging the whole picture I posted when I only used it to comment on the Popplio design. I even said the Litten one looks off even though I like the idea behind it. My bad for not cropping a picture I don't own I guess?

The Popplio one less so but kind of yeah, it has a small face with a serious expression (all 3 seem to) and messy shape design. It looks like yet another artist who just does not understand Sugimori's direction of running the middle ground between cute and cool.
Don't understand the point about messy shape design, but guess we'll just have to disagree about the cute/cool line. The Popplio one (and for that matter, Primarina actually, despite me not liking her) hits that middle ground way better than Decidueye and Incineroar.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That night was so great. From him to people not believing the Greninja leaks cause "Why would he have his tongue around his neck" and "But the bubbles are gone!"
I remember a minor detail was the "a" font was different from real screenshots, but a video of Torchic's (the event one) status screen which was likely from a more recent build had the "a" font matching the leaks.

So, at that point I realized that was a detail too specific to be coincidence.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
I remember a minor detail was the "a" font was different from real screenshots, but a video of Torchic's (the event one) status screen which was likely from a more recent build had the "a" font matching the leaks.

So, at that point I realized that was a detail too specific to be coincidence.

Oh gosh I remember the font stuff as well. Gosh...i wonder if we will get the same thing this time when it leaks from someone playing it.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same thing happened with the Smash 4 leaks, iirc there was a weird looking line on the UI that seemed like a mistake but was part of actual screens too.

Also Ness' stripes being different from past models when the stripes had changed design between art.