• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
Because preloading means that the games will get their pants datamined off within hours
No problem with that, but they could let us pre-order without it being ready to preload.

Edit:
as long as it goes up a good amount of time prior to release, I don't see the problem
Yeah. I know it doesn't matter when I pre-order. But I still get anxious every time something new comes up and I check if I can finally buy it hehe.

Last edited:

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah I don't see the point of pre-ordering the digital version way in advance. Retailers only do it to get a gauge of how many copies to order. There's no need for that on a digital storefront.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
You can play it immediately when it releases.
fair...although I'd consider preloading somewhat different than preordering, esp since you can preorder before preload is available right? (Apparently not for these games but in general)
For me, it is the same as pre-ordering a physical game. If I would buy it anyway, why not pre-order it? Heck, I'll get both versions.
Isn't the main point of pre ordering a physical game to ensure you get a copy at launch? thats not really a risk with digital download

klauskpm

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Brazil
fair...although I'd consider preloading somewhat different than preordering, esp since you can preorder before preload is available right?

Isn't the main point of pre ordering a physical game to ensure you get a copy at launch? thats not really a risk with digital download
Makes sense. But since physical pre-orders for me never worked, I got used to do digital pre-orders. And I got used to have the option on the same time as the physical option.

It's more a psychological thing. Since it is a game I want so much, anxiety and FOMO are doing a number on me.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
No problem with that, but they could let us pre-order without it being ready to preload.
That's never going to happen as thanks to pre-load Nintendo can evade the European law and thus don't allow people to cancel their digital pre-orders. If they allowed pre-orders without pre-loading they would have to allow cancellations and they don't want to do that.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Aside from version exclusives, wasn't there also the matter of just getting the right shops to begin with? And then also needing to level them up or something? You couldn't just go to the plaza and get whatever you wanted right away.
Yeah, the plaza shop thing was annoying. I was playing Sun, so I was stuck with "hot" colors (red, yellow, orange, etc.) while Moon had "cool" colors (green, blue, purple, etc.). This was true for the clothing shops as well. I was extremely lucky and encountered a player who had a max-rank green dye shop, which I fortunately acquired the points to buy. I was getting my favorite color somehow!

cainhxrst

Nov 10, 2018
NkDQQnm.png

From an article that surfaced a bit ago, Nintenndoeverything quoting Ohmori to gameinformer.

Interesting?? It could just be PR speak, but if the theming for this gen really was them just wanting to create the ultimate game, I'm reassured that we'll have a healthy amount of content and new pokemon to mess around with. Exciting stuff. Reminds me of generation 4's "the strongest pokemon" theming

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this somehow has more than a hundred new non-galar-form pokemon, that dex cut will be more than worth it for me

I'd honestly be delighted if every gen was just a new 151 in the first two games like BW.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
New 151 every game just sounds like filling a quota instead of making sure all of the additions are well developed and consistent. Throwing money at new designers doesn't really do much for their implementation.

youwei

Jun 3, 2019
You can't preorder a game on the eShop if it's not yet available for preload. It'll probably be available in a matter of days.
on the japanese eshop , it states that the preload will begin in Nov
i assume it could be as early as Nov 1st as there are some exclusive codes for Secret Club if you preorder physically or digitally in japan

1 ) Secret Shiny Necrozma

2 ) Secret Shiny Krabby

3) Pokemon Quest T-shirt
https:///pokemon-secret-club-members-to-receive-pokemon-quest-t-shirts-in-sword-and-shield/

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a summary anywhere of what is known so far?

I've never really gotten into Pokémon before, and I'm trying to decide if I want to jump in.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Serebii would be the best place: https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/

You have a bunch of different sections to the right, so you can check whatever you want to know.
Thanks - I'll check it out.
Known about what exactly?
Yeah, I guess that was a little vague, lol.
I'm just trying to decide if this is something I would enjoy. I don't have any nostalgia for this franchise, and I don't have an encyclopedic (Pokédexic?) knowledge of Pokémon (the creatures, as opposed to the games). It seems to me that a lot of discussion around any new game centers around the titular monsters, and that's where much of the excitement seems to come from - and obviously this does not have much meaning for me.

For reference, I played a couple of the early DS/gameboy entries for maybe a total of ten hours. I played probably the same of Let's Go Evee. Sort of moved on to other games because 'Omg so many games'. And then lost my save when I got a new Switch and couldn't be bothered to start again . My biggest issue with it was that it seemed very dependent on nostalgia.

Never seen the anime.

But this new entry looks interesting, so I suppose I'm looking for details that will sell me on (or deter me from) getting into it as someone with no real attachment to the series.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks - I'll check it out.

Yeah, I guess that was a little vague, lol.
I'm just trying to decide if this is something I would enjoy. I don't have any nostalgia for this franchise, and I don't have an encyclopedic (Pokédexic?) knowledge of Pokémon (the creatures, as opposed to the games). It seems to me that a lot of discussion around any new game centers around the titular monsters, and that's where much of the excitement seems to come from - and obviously this does not have much meaning for me.

For reference, I played a couple of the early DS/gameboy entries for maybe a total of ten hours. I played probably the same of Let's Go Evee. Sort of moved on to other games because 'Omg so many games'. And then lost my save when I got a new Switch and couldn't be bothered to start again . My biggest issue with it was that it seemed very dependent on nostalgia.

Never seen the anime.

But this new entry looks interesting, so I suppose I'm looking for details that will sell me on (or deter me from) getting into it as someone with no real attachment to the series.
In that case maybe Serebii is not the source you're looking for. I recommend reading the official website https://swordshield.pokemon.com/ and also checking out the June Pokémon Direct.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
This game needs to be in my hands ASAP. Because I had a dream last night that I had it but after playing it for hours I had no new Pokemon. Not even the starter for some reason I had Eevee and two other old Pokemon. Kept searching for new Pokemon but couldn't find any despite being three towns in. Nothing but old Pokemon as far as the eye can see. Probably my fear of very few Pokemon in this game.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone know the best way to go on a YouTube blackout? I'm trying to avoid news from here on out so I can experience it all for the first time myself (already got all Pokemon related accounts muted on Twitter etc.) but not sure how I can stop stuff from popping up in YouTube recommended.

Yukiko

Feb 21, 2019
Spain
Do we expect any new info/trailers before the games come out? Like, maybe when pre-downloads are open or something?

Anyone know the best way to go on a YouTube blackout? I'm trying to avoid news from here on out so I can experience it all for the first time myself (already got all Pokemon related accounts muted on Twitter etc.) but not sure how I can stop stuff from popping up in YouTube recommended.

Clearing your youtube watch/search history is an option but from my experience it doesn't always work.

Best option would be watching youtube with a different account and not searching for pokémon videos on said a account.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i think if you delete all the pokemon related content you have on your YT watchhistory you can avoid that.

edit: or log out.

btw: i am planning to get a switch for this ( and other games). Will there be a Switch Pokemon bundle? or nah?

if not i will look for a cheap new switch from now till release.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
You can use this extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-blocker/jknkjnpcbbgcbdbaampbjlhkcghmgfhk?hl=es

Of course you can't do anything about YouTube on mobile and things people share on Fb.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It's gonna happen soon and it'll be a great time. Datamining of Sun and Moon was fun watching people laugh when seeing that everyone in Alola was slow af.
The better one was the Demo datamine with just the Dex pics, people were in denial and saying its probably incomplete because of all the scrubbed data. I wasn't expecting a large dex there and laughing, but I might just have the same reaction with SwSh. I dunno why but my gut is telling me we are in for a huge surprise when it comes to the new Pokemon total and it has never been wrong.
The menu looks clean.

rV3wZhdw.png
On one hand yeah, its super clean. On the other hand the Rotom Phone being just a Pokedex and town map sucks. I mean its a phone, they should have brought back match call and Poketch style apps for it.
Might get a new trailer every week now until release
That's where I'm at right now, I think they will have an update each week for various stuff, totalling to 3 new trailers before release If I had to guess
-This Wednesday some new Pokemon and starter evos
-Character Trailer and some new gameplay feature
-The Week after Eternatus, Meteodyna and some post game info

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This game needs to be in my hands ASAP. Because I had a dream last night that I had it but after playing it for hours I had no new Pokemon. Not even the starter for some reason I had Eevee and two other old Pokemon. Kept searching for new Pokemon but couldn't find any despite being three towns in. Nothing but old Pokemon as far as the eye can see. Probably my fear of very few Pokemon in this game.

I think that's just PTSD from having to play through the Let's Go games.

I wonder if Sword and Shield would be demo-ing at London MCM next week. If it is, I guess it would just be the World's Demo though.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of demos, the E3 demo was such a missed opportunity. Who cares about playing through a gym, even a small random route with a raid at the end would have been better

Dogenzaka

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 20, 2019
Speaking of demos, the E3 demo was such a missed opportunity. Who cares about playing through a gym, even a small random route with a raid at the end would have been better
Yeah, now that you mention it, I feel like I barely even know what a typical route is going to look like in this game. Pretty strange.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

But Aleh, the Nostalgia, people were complaining about no Gyms in Alola despite Trials being equivalently the same thing, so we gotta remind people Gyms are back in this game, get all their nostalgia over gyms going into overdrive.

...Yeah I would rather see a Wild Area demos and do raid battles since Raids appear to be Totems 2.0. Here's to hoping there isn't one major exploit that trivializes them all. There's a lot of moves to work around for them. I personally hope we get a new batch of TMs as well with moves that really benefit Doubles and Raid Battles.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
You can use this extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/video-blocker/jknkjnpcbbgcbdbaampbjlhkcghmgfhk?hl=es

Of course you can't do anything about YouTube on mobile and things people share on Fb.
i think if you delete all the pokemon related content you have on your YT watchhistory you can avoid that.

edit: or log out.

btw: i am planning to get a switch for this ( and other games). Will there be a Switch Pokemon bundle? or nah?

if not i will look for a cheap new switch from now till release.
Do we expect any new info/trailers before the games come out? Like, maybe when pre-downloads are open or something?

Clearing your youtube watch/search history is an option but from my experience it doesn't always work.

Best option would be watching youtube with a different account and not searching for pokémon videos on said a account.
Thank you everyone!

Interested to find out where those routes with Gossifleur and Zigzagoon are on the map, as well as the one with the sign and the one with the Lass. It's hard to place them.

Oct 26, 2017
Well I found that Shiny Mewtwo I've been looking for, so I guess I'm rooting for it to make it into SwSh.
Somehow, I'm not too worried.

Last edited:

PadWarrior

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super curious to see how they've made it easier to make your starting team competitive for online battles. I've always hated that my story team was never viable for online battles.