• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's what I expected but I still hate it. Dynamaxing on its own is rather inoffensive as a mechanic even if it is mind-numbingly boring and dumb (in normal battles; the raids look neat enough). But to lock what are ostensibly evolutions behind it is pretty much encouraging me to not use Pokemon that have Gigantimax forms considering I can't take them forward. Not that this seems to matter anymore, but at least with normal-ass evolutions there's a chance I can use them in future regions.
I agree that it sucks, but at the same time, if some of those Mega forms became real evolutions, there would be an insane power creep like no other.

We can only hope that Pokemon who desperately needed those Mega Evolutions to be competitive (like Mawile with its very poor base stats and useless abilities) can get proper permanent evolutions down the road to make them better.

For what it's worth, besides the expected remakes, I can also see Gigantamax carrying into Gen 9 if Switch is still the target console. I'm sure they want those new assets to last as long as possible.

GiantBreadbug

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it sucks, but at the same time, if some of those Mega forms became real evolutions, there would be an insane power creep like no other.

We can only hope that Pokemon who desperately needed those Mega Evolutions to be competitive (like Mawile with its very poor base stats and useless abilities) can get proper permanent evolutions down the road to make them better.

For what it's worth, besides the expected remakes, I can also see Gigantamax carrying into Gen 9 if Switch is still the target console. I'm sure they want those new assets to last as long as possible.

Oh don't get me wrong; my idea isn't to make megas permanent evos. It's to stop tying entirely separate Pokemon forms to stupid throwaway gimmicks and then giving a big ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ come next gen and just axing them.

They should have just kept megas in SwSh and stopped doing this thing where they introduce a regionally insular mechanic with unique forms when the mechanic itself doesn't even warrant them (as is the case with Gigantimax). If they wanted to introduce Dynamax as a battle mechanic, they very well could have done it without Gigantimax forms. "Oh they make the mechanic more exciting" is entirely deflated when one realizes it means those forms are hyper-exclusive to one mechanic in one or two generations, making them feel just as upsettingly ephemeral as megas now feel.

What they've effectively done (perhaps intentionally) is create a situation for megas, Gigantimax forms, etc. that has them on this shitty rotation where they may or may not be in any given title, just like other Pokemon. It would be fine if these mechanics didn't bring along with them entirely new forms that aesthetically and functionally act as direct evolutions. Say mega evolution was just always merely a 100 point stat boost without the form change and Gigantimax Pokemon just... I dunno got very very Large. Then it's fine. But yeah they're ripping holes in the overall Pokemon roster in a way that feels absolutely unnecessary with this particular approach. I get their perceived necessity culling of the dex (even if I really disagree that they just can't do otherwise).

Like I said: raid battles seem cool, and Dynamax on its own is inanely innocuous enough, but these forms completely sour it for me. I hate to, but I'll likely be avoiding Pokemon with those forms for my team, and really just minimally interacting with the mechanic altogether outside of participating in raids for fun. I don't expect the game to be difficult enough to warrant using it for the main story anyway.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
It's most definitely featuring in at least one new game, specially if there is indeed a remake in the works.

Tbh, who can guess at this point anymore? If they always were changing things up since forever, now more than ever it's really hard to assume what they're gonna do next.

We don't even know how compatible SwSh and whatever next games they release, are gonna be, starting with the roster differences.

And even if the new games implement the Dynamax/Gigantamax features we don't know if they're gonna be the same as in SwSh.

What I mean is, after the National Dex cut, there is no reason for us to expect any kind of uniformity or consistency between the games of the same "generation" (if we can even keep using that term for anything besides referring to a batch of new Pokémon), either in terms of Pokémon roster, trainer customization, game features in general.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
What I mean is, after the National Dex cut, there is no reason for us to expect any kind of uniformity or consistency between the games of the same "generation" (if we can even keep using that term for anything besides referring to a batch of new Pokémon), either in terms of Pokémon roster, trainer customization, game features in general.
I think they've been heading in this direction for a bit, tbh. OR/AS had its own Megas and attacks, US/UM straight up introduced new Pokemon, and Let's Go was able to be its own thing with connectivity to only PGo.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, who can guess at this point anymore? If they always were changing things up since forever, now more than ever it's really hard to assume what they're gonna do next.

We don't even know how compatible SwSh and whatever next games they release, are gonna be, starting with the roster differences.

And even if the new games implement the Dynamax/Gigantamax features we don't know if they're gonna be the same as in SwSh.

If anything this makes "generations" more official. Everything is more confined within each gen now and the series feels less like one big thing. It made less sense from 1-4.

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
I think they've been heading in this direction for a bit, tbh. OR/AS had its own Megas and attacks, US/UM straight up introduced new Pokemon, and Let's Go was able to be its own thing with connectivity to only PGo.

Yeah, theoretically that could be positive, in the sense that if every pair of versions are gonna be isolated from the rest, they could take longer to release new games, making the lifespan of the main games longer, with events, updates, etc. But of course that's totally not happening and they should be revealing this Spring the new games, coming out November 2020 lol

Feb 26, 2019
Tijuana
If anything this makes "generations" more official. Everything is more confined within each gen now and the series feels less like one big thing. It made less sense from 1-4.

Well, I'm not so sure, I mean, we'll have to wait and see, but let's say they release Sinnoh remakes, and they're not able to communicate with SwSh because there are just a few Pokémon they have in common, they don't share the same Gigantamax forms, or I don't know, anything else that just completely separates them from SwSh, but they don't introduce any new Pokémon. By the traditional terms, we would still be under Gen VIII, because there's no new Pokémon, but what's even the point of having this couple of paired versions being part of a "same generation" when they can't even fully communicate, they don't share the same roster, they don't have the same features, etc.

I repeat, this is just hypothetical, probably they don't release Sinnoh games, and go to Sw2Sh2 or make Sinnoh remakes completely based on SwSh mechanics, so generations remain the same as we've known them, but as brinstar said, everything hints at them going this direction of making isolated games from now on.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I know in my heart no trailer for SwSh will ever top the hype music from this:

Damn shame I gotta live with a fan edit with the in-game noises removed.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
So the most important thing...

Is the fish a catchable Pokemon?
I feel like it has to be, it has such a distinct design.
BiDy0A4.png

They could have had it shoot out any old existing fish or a generic shadowed fish but instead we get a full on design. I'm just curious if this will be a worthless single stage fish like Luvdisc, if it's going to be a generic 2 stage fish like Goldeen or if we are looking at something with a major evolution or form change like Gyarados or Wishiwashi. Hoping it's more Gyarados.
5th gen starter evolutions weren't until September, the same month Pokemon B/W released in Japan. (technically those only leaked through Coro Coro and they weren't even officially revealed before launch, and I think 4th gen was like that too.)

6th gen weren't known until September, 1 month before X/Y released.

7th weren't known until October, 1 month before S/M.

So, should be any day now if precedent holds.
Hopefully we get them later this month....
Where are the bug types :( One month away from launch and we haven't even seen the early-game bug.
Maybe we won't have an early game bug and have a mid or late game one instead.
Maybe, but there's a marked difference between the last few months and the Spring/early Summer reveals.
  • They revealed more than anyone expected for the February reveal (Starters and region- Sun and Moon's reveal was WAY more secretive, ironically)
  • They revealed 9 Pokémon at the start of June (Wooloo, Gossifleur, Eldegoss, Drednaw, Corviknight, Zacian, Zamazenta, Yamper, Impidimp).
  • The July reveals had three new Pokémon (Alcremie, Rolycoly, Duraludon) and three Gigantamax forms (Alcremie, Corviknight, Drednaw),
  • The August reveal had two new Pokémon (Morpeko, Obstagoon) and three Galarian forms (Weezing, Zigzagoon, Linoone)
  • In September, they revealed three new Pokémon (Polteageist, Cramorant, Sirfetch'd)
  • So far in October, they've revealed one new Galarian form (Ponyta)
You'd expect the pace of reveals to accelerate the closer we get to launch, but if anything it's dried up.

They revealed more brand new Pokémon in the span of eight days in June than they have in the entire span of four months since then.

XY wasn't a fraction as secretive as this- they'd revealed almost double the amount of Pokémon this far out from XY.
Man, them slowing down on reveals the closer we get to release is super annoying, I hope between now and release we get a handful of new Pokemon, Galarian forms and Gigantamax forms revealed, especially if there are a decent amount of all of those in the game

Electivirer

May 15, 2018
Yeah, the opinion is going to be completely biased, but it's interesting that the "final" game is already being showcased.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
That is indeed interesting. Let's hope one of these samples won't "accidentally" end up in the wrong hands.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I read the same thing every time a new generation launches which is not necessarily a bad thing just that it doesn't say much. Especially when we consider that it was a "sponsored" playthrough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah. 90 minutes doesn't tell you shit about a Pokemon game.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Ahhh we're only about a month out. I hope they release a demo this time, I just want to try it out already!

OP
OP
TheEchosOfTheCyborg
Feb 24, 2018
Question, storage wise, how big is Pokemon Shield likely to be?

Likely not going to get Shield at launch, low on money and I've discovered someone is likely going to buy me it as a gift for the Holidays so that's nice.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can smell an embargo lifting alongside a new trailer relatively soon if people are playing extended cuts of the final game.
Ahhh we're only about a month out. I hope they release a demo this time, I just want to try it out already!
You might get a demo released after launch like Let's Go got, but the days of pre-launch demos for Pokémon games are LONG gone.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah, I expect previews and a big trailer (not necessarily with big new info) to hit next week.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, very interesting that YouTuber have been playing the first 90 mins of the game. I imagine we'll get something next week then. Potential for a regional bird or bug to be shown as well.

OP
OP
TheEchosOfTheCyborg
Feb 24, 2018
I can smell an embargo lifting alongside a new trailer relatively soon if people are playing extended cuts of the final game.

You might get a demo released after launch like Let's Go got, but the days of pre-launch demos for Pokémon games are LONG gone.
One of the reasons why I think they are WAY more confident in not showing everything pre-launch this time round. They did that to get ahead of the leakers (similar to why Smash Ultimate), but with no pre-launch Demo to worry about which was the main source of leaks, they have much less to worry about.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if people are playing the first 90 minutes there are definitely previews coming, so hopefully we get a big trailer alongside those.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Would be pointless because all that would happen is those that are positive about the games will choose the first option and those that are negative about the games will choose the second option. We already know who is on which side so I don't see a need for it really.
i'm very very positive on the game, will easily be my GOTY but i think it has less than 55 new pokemon.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i'm very very positive on the game, will easily be my GOTY but i think it has less than 55 new pokemon.
I think there's no real reason to think that other than pessimism.

I'd get it if they were having a normal publicity cycle with a low amount of Pokémon revealed, but they're holding back on everything- world, characters, story, the lot.

Not saying it couldn't happen- just saying that there's no reason to expect it.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Would be pointless because all that would happen is those that are positive about the games will choose the first option and those that are negative about the games will choose the second option. We already know who is on which side so I don't see a need for it really.
That is incredibly reductive. I hold a strong negative opinion on the games yet I do not think the slow reveals are necessarily indicative of few Pokémon. This is not an "Us and Them" situation.

Jun 2, 2019
This isn't really related, but i just bought again Pokémon X and i'm just happy.

EGlWZ7oXkAIhCkZ

To my surprise the online is still active. PSS still works and is populated! My hype for Sword and Shield rose again

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't really related, but i just bought again Pokémon X and i'm just happy.

EGlWZ7oXkAIhCkZ

To my surprise the online is still active. PSS still works and is populated! My hype for Sword and Shield rose again
Ah yes, my first TRUE foray into competitive Pokemon. I started learning it in B2W2 where I just battled my friends and learned the ins and outs of breeding and EV training, but it wasn't until XY that I put my skills to the test in Battle Spot Doubles. I wish I could transfer all my replays from Pokemon X and put them on my computer. If there is a way to do that, someone, please inform me. I'm very proud of my battles.

Jun 2, 2019
Ah yes, my first TRUE foray into competitive Pokemon. I started learning it in B2W2 where I just battled my friends and learned the ins and outs of breeding and EV training, but it wasn't until XY that I put my skills to the test in Battle Spot Doubles. I wish I could transfer all my replays from Pokemon X and put them on my computer. If there is a way to do that, someone, please inform me. I'm very proud of my battles.

Well you could always dump the game and the save and use them on Citra.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
90 minutes? That would be enough to pass through the first towns and the Wild Area.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
I don't think there will be but I really hope there's a good number of new Pokemon.

I usually exclusively use new Pokemon on my first run through.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure that's enough to get to the Wild Area unless he was rushing through the game which he probably wasn't considering I'd be looking for new details all the time

I think when the crystals for the special raids got announced, they said it was going to take around 2-3 hours to get to the Wild Zone? I don't remember it clearly but I think it was something like that.

Obviously, I'd spend a lot of time just checking stuff like the Map and the zones close to the start. I ain't rushing a Pokémon game anymore after I did with USUM.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think when the crystals for the special raids got announced, they said it was going to take around 2-3 hours to get to the Wild Zone? I don't remember it clearly but I think it was something like that.
I think that's about right- you do the stuff in and around the opening town (we still don't know who that building by the lake belongs to, do we?), catch the train to the brick city, and go into the Wild Area from there.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If he played 90 minutes he definitely must have seen new Pokémon like the base evos of the regional bird and such