• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Are you buying the game physically, digitally?

• Physically

Votes: 620 42.2%
  • As a gift physically

Votes: 18 1.2%
  • Digitally

Votes: 483 32.9%
  • As a gift digitally

Votes: 4 0.3%
  • Neither

Votes: 260 17.7%
  • One Digitally and One Physically?

Votes: 27 1.8%
  • Both Digital or Physical?

Votes: 56 3.8%

• Total voters
Feb 24, 2018
I feel that these games should have a specific dedicated discussion thread, it's been hard to ask certain questions or discuss certain topics because they don't match with what the current Pokemon threads are about (like the Galar Ponyta or Master balls) and there has been place just for general hopes, wants, criticism etc.

Some ground rules first:
1. Be respectful of other people's thought whether they are positive or negative, this also holds true to the developers, criticise the games, but no lazy dev rhetoric please.
2. Please don't pick fights
3. Have fun.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Has their been any mentions what type of online trading these game will have?
Kv9unQ7.png

Standard trading and the new version of Wonder Trade

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a switch and looking forward buying this game!
I also wanted to play the Let's Go game, but it cost more or less the same as this new one... :|
So I will try to get it later...

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Tbh, cutting pokemon wouldn't be a problem if we at least were able to transfer the final evolutions. They can easily axe more than 300 pokemon but as long as the final evol were available, the fans complaining about the NatDex would be satisfy because really it's the final evolution that matters.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, cutting pokemon wouldn't be a problem if we at least were able to transfer the final evolutions. They can easily axe more than 300 pokemon but as long as the final evol were available, the fans complaining about the NatDex would be satisfy because really it's the final evolution that matters.
They could also axe it by allowing us to battle in Pokemon Home, even if the Pokemon don't look as good as in Sword/Shield.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's Rowlet and Piplup that matter most, argument invalid.
(half kidding)

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You would have to make it so they can't breed in SwSh.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I hope you can nickname trade Pokemon because I'm stuck with Sword and I need a Ponyta and a Chatot now.

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a precedent for when starter evolutions are revealed? It seems like we are really close (only a little over a month to release) but don't have any information regarding even the second stage evolutions. Also I feel like we should be getting either a Pokémon direct or a series of Pokémon tweets in the near future. So many things that are unknown at this point (though I'd like to keep a lot of things a mystery, I don't want to know everything).

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I definitely think they're really hiding a bunch of shit this time...

There's so many Pokemon they've hinted at but not officially revealed. It's pretty cool.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Is there a precedent for when starter evolutions are revealed? It seems like we are really close (only a little over a month to release) but don't have any information regarding even the second stage evolutions. Also I feel like we should be getting either a Pokémon direct or a series of Pokémon tweets in the near future. So many things that are unknown at this point (though I'd like to keep a lot of things a mystery, I don't want to know everything).

Starter evolutions are usually revealed a month before release, as far as I can remember. The last stages have never been officially revealed until Sun and Moon, and that was because they got leaked earlier so there was no point keeping them hidden.

Oct 31, 2017
Starter evolutions are usually revealed a month before release, as far as I can remember. The last stages have never been officially revealed until Sun and Moon, and that was because they got leaked earlier so there was no point keeping them hidden.

so we could expect to see something next week? I feel like the promotional campaign should be kicking it up as well soon.

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

5th gen starter evolutions weren't until September, the same month Pokemon B/W released in Japan. (technically those only leaked through Coro Coro and they weren't even officially revealed before launch, and I think 4th gen was like that too.)

6th gen weren't known until September, 1 month before X/Y released.

7th weren't known until October, 1 month before S/M.

So, should be any day now if precedent holds.

gardfish

Oct 25, 2017
Where are the bug types :( One month away from launch and we haven't even seen the early-game bug.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The thing I'm wondering about most is if they're going to do a launch Mystery Gift Pokemon with these games

B/W had Victini
B2W2 had Genesect
X/Y had Speed Boost Torchic
ORAS had Shiny Beldum
SuMo had Hold Back / Happy Hour Munchlax
USUM had Own Tempo Rockruff

Let's Go didn't have anything

Also wondering whether there will be a demo and bonus with it

ORAS demo gave us a Mega Glalie
SuMo demo gave us Ash-Greninja

Let's Go demo didn't have anything

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of confirmed Pokemon, any sign of the Swinub line, Venipede line, or Misdreavus line?

brinstar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where are the bug types :( One month away from launch and we haven't even seen the early-game bug.
This is what's been buggin me (pun not intended/or was it?)

Do we know if porygon2, Florges, Breloom or azumarill are in the game?
I don't think any of those have been spotted

Speaking of confirmed Pokemon, any sign of the Swinub line, Venipede line, or Misdreavus line?
nope

KingWillance

Oct 25, 2017
Was the regional bug from Gen V the Leavanny line or the Scolipede line? I hope we have a regional bug closer to them or Vikavolt than other offerings

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So what do people think of James Turner saying that he loves sobble's evos? He is known to especially love pokemon that are "artifical" or have artificial elements to them. He has designed multiple ghost pokemon lines, so builds more credence to that.
I could see the final evo having an aspect of wearing "shades" to be its gimmick as a spy.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a solid list of the differences between sword and shield yet or too far off still?

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019
For the longest time I've always told myself if a home console traditional RPG Pokémon game ever came out, I would go ballistic. I remember borrowing my buddy's GameCube and renting the coliseum game because it was rumored to have more rpg elements than the previous N64 Stadium game.

One of the reasons I finally broke down and got a switch was knowing a new Pokémon game was coming out for it.

To hold myself over, I bought Let's Go Eeve. And quite frankly it bored me to hell playing it. I got the game last Christmas and maybe just got to the 7th gym leader a month ago. The game is definitely the original with some qualities of life improvements but I found it boring as heck. Yet I loved it growing up. I remember owning Blue and Yellow.

Regarding Sword and Shield, I was expecting a bigger departure from the status quo. Game looks like all the other Pokémon games with improvements or course. My biggest gripe is that after all these years, when the Pokémon attack each other we're still looking at animations that don't connect. It's been over 20 years and it's still a static fight screen. Maybe I expected more after all these years but this has dropped from a must own to a rental. I'll keep GameFly an extra month to try it. Or maybe during the holidays if target does their buy 2 get 1 free I'll get this if there's nothing else I want.

The new area looks cool and it seems they the company has evolved their story telling in the last 10 years which is great cause the original game had no story. I just expected the series to take a huge leap forward and cement itself as a big budget RPG. But I guess that's just a fantasy.

Jun 2, 2019
5th gen starter evolutions weren't until September, the same month Pokemon B/W released in Japan. (technically those only leaked through Coro Coro and they weren't even officially revealed before launch, and I think 4th gen was like that too.)

6th gen weren't known until September, 1 month before X/Y released.

7th weren't known until October, 1 month before S/M.

So, should be any day now if precedent holds.

I Really hope we don't get to know the final evolution of the starters

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Gen VI and Gen VII first evos had been revealed by this point in their respective hype cycles.

I don't think it's at all guaranteed that we're going to be getting a pre-launch blow-out- if anything, they seem to be clamming up the closer we get to launch.
It's this sort of thing that makes me think they're keeping quite a lot of Pokémon up their sleeve. No regional bug, no rodent (officially revealed, at least- leaks and tshirts have helped us out on that one), no base regional bird... these are normally amongst the first to be revealed.