• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's not like other games that have 1000 people working on them and the highest budget in video game history have issues or anything.

I'm really curious about how TPCi is actually run. Is Gamefreak just given a shoestring budget or something? I think I read in an interview with Masuda they like being a small company. Pokemon is one of the largest media franchises in the world, period, and we're here discussing how the main developers don't have enough resources. It's absurd

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
At least compare it with another animation, this is just a dishonest comparison.

Why is it dishonest, because it doesn't help your agenda that Game Freak suck and are the only devs that have issues with development?

I'm really curious about how TPCi is actually run. Is Gamefreak just given a shoestring budget or something? I think I read in an interview with Masuda they like being a small company. Pokemon is one of the largest media franchises in the world, period, and we're here discussing how the main developers don't have enough resources. It's absurd

Pokemon isn't just the mainline games. It's merch, movies, anime, mobile games etc. A lot of money goes into maintaining it as a top IP including a whole load of marketing which costs $$$.

Deleted member 24540

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I can't get past the semi realistic visuals, the game looks hideous to me. Why can't it look more like this:

pokemon-lets-go-gym-02.jpg

pokemon-lets-go-gym-03.jpg

??

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't get past the semi realistic visuals, the game looks hideous to me. Why can't it look more like this:

??
because it's a bland as hell art style. it's sterile

just look at Level 5 and it's poor coordination with the Yokai Watch anime and Yokai Watch 4. or Inazuma Eleven and its game. the Ares game was supposed to coincide with the Ares anime, but didn't. now the anime is on the sequel, Orion (which got a huge budget decrease because of these fuck ups). at least the game now has time to put in Orion content.

point is, synchronizing all these moving parts is difficult and something has to get cut. unfortunately, it's gonna be dev time for Game Freak

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019

??
As many problems as I had with Let's Go, the artstyle really, really fit the world of Pokemon. I feel like they're trying too hard to go with a realistic style for the Wild Area. I'm not sure why the berry trees are the only colorful trees, why not have every tree be vibrant and bright? Same with the ground, why is it so dark? I feel like a lot of people would be way more into the art style if it was more stylized.

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting and leads to a point I don't think anyone else has mentioned. If only raid battle pokemon can be gigantamax'd, and your starters can, your starters must be special or obtained in a special way other than the professor just having them. But it seems these raid battle points are only in the Wild Area. Maybe your starter is linked to it in some way

That's a damn good point. I really hope you're right and it's explained why our starters can Gigantamax.

The only other thing I can think of is if a in game story event happens and your starter inherits the Gigantamax potential which is unlikely

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The lack of anchor points on the attack of the Dynamaxed Charizard very much looks like a conscious decision rather than it being for lack of trying. It seems kind of obvious the developers want to prioritize making attacks that have screen consuming effects, and making it trail with Charizard's exaggerated animation is definitely going to obscure it - and that's an attack that's going to be able to be used by way more Pokémon than just it.

Like, I don't agree with why they made it the way they did, but I get it, and using it as a gotcha is perhaps the weakest nitpick so far in terms of the game's animation.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Like, I don't agree with why they made it the way they did, but I get it, and using it as a gotcha is perhaps the weakest nitpick so far in terms of the game's animation.

In this case that's the one fire attack animation used by the Dynamax Charizard though as far as we know. So, it will actually have a much bigger in-game presence than various individual attack animations. And the point where there are most effects Charizard is facing forward anyway, so it's not like they'd lose flashness or it'd look confusing. It just shows how generic the attack animations are doesn't matter how important they are.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The lack of anchor points on the attack of the Dynamaxed Charizard very much looks like a conscious decision rather than it being for lack of trying. It seems kind of obvious the developers want to prioritize making attacks that have screen consuming effects, and making it trail with Charizard's exaggerated animation is definitely going to obscure it - and that's an attack that's going to be able to be used by way more Pokémon than just it.

That's a weak ass excuse. It would just require a small bit of camera adjustment.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's a weak ass excuse. It would just require a small bit of camera adjustment.
We'd be talking a lot of camera adjustments for multiple Pokémon that are likely able to utilize the attack, which is on top of accommodating whatever potential anchor point they'd be having if an animation is too over the top. For a regular sized Pokémon I'd be more inclined to agree to include them where size is less of an issue. Conversely, Dynamax scale and the amount of particle effects they're throwing onto it complicates things.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

You're still talking about one of hundreds of animation combinations. Like if there's one IP where this gets a pass its Pokemon for being so absurdly modular in nature. If there's a similar IP that's similar in that sense and actually does it how you say im not aware of it. "but they make money" doesn't really justify a lot of that kind of excess work.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to believe that to be true, but I don't have faith in Megas returning in Sword/Shield.

Other folks have speculated that the Megas are being repurposed into Gigantamax forms, but I don't buy that either. Until we know more about their mechanics, the only thing Gigantamax forms have going for them is an exclusive move. The typings, abilties and stats(outside of HP) of a Gigantamax form are all presumably the same as a Dynamax form, at least based on what we know for now. I'd hate to see something like Mega Beedrill as a Gigantamax, only it *doesn't* have Adaptability and it's amazing attack and speed stats.

If they really aren't cutting megas but repurposing them into gigantamax pokemon, then wtf is going on with the marketing of this game. It's like they want the backlash about cut features to happen.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If they really aren't cutting megas but repurposing them into gigantamax pokemon, then wtf is going on with the marketing of this game. It's like they want the backlash about cut features to happen.

They won't do that. I have no idea why so many people speculate/hope that it'll happen.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
They won't do that. I have no idea why so many people speculate/hope that it'll happen.
Not only does it not make sense at all for them to do that, I don't get why people think that'd be a worthy substitute for Megas. Getting bigger and having an inflated HP stat isn't suddenly going to make Mawile or Beedrill good like their Megas did.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hope being an attempt to rationalize it.
Not only does it not make sense at all for them to do that, I don't get why people think that'd be a worthy substitute for Megas. Getting bigger and having an inflated HP stat isn't suddenly going to make Mawile or Beedrill good like their Megas did.

Some say they'd be fine with the designs returning and nothing more, but that's a superficial thing that wouldn't truly please anyone. And I've said it so many times now, but it makes infinitely more sense to show off a new Gigantomax form instead of something we've already seen before.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It's quite weird seeing all these people suddenly liking megas when they were seen in quite a negative light (except for a select few) and now people are complaining that it has been replaced by something else that will be given to different Pokemon. The same for the art style of Let's Go, suddenly it's amazing and not the plastic-looking 3DS/mobile game that everyone said it looked like in every thread about the games.

Getting bigger and having an inflated HP stat isn't suddenly going to make Mawile or Beedrill good like their Megas did.

Do we know that is all that gigantamaxing is going to do? You're talking about dynamaxing aren't you?

saladdays

Sep 11, 2018
Upsetting to see pretty much every thread about this game be filled with the same complaints that have been around for a month. I don't understand why people are still stuck on it :/

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I've been trying to gauge what the final dex count will look just going off what we've seen so far.

At the moment we have 197 Pokemon announced to be in these games, with only 13 of those being new Pokemon. Based on X&Y and S/M, we're probably looking at the total count of new Pokemon being in the ballpark of 70-80, which brings us to around 260 total, which leaves us to wonder just how many more past gen Pokemon will make the cut.

Considering that the Wild Area exists and the pretty wide selection of Pokemon that we've already seen, I can't imagine the Galar Dex being smaller than 400 at bare minimum. And while that might seem like a lot, it would fucking suck because that's still less than half of the total Pokemon count. I'm gonna be seriously bummed out no matter what because of Dexit, but 500 is probably the lowest final count that I could accept as being a decent roster with cuts, but I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Up until Sword and Shield, Game Freak's size and conservative nature was one of their most remarkable successes- nitpicks aside, the fact that they were able to bring out massively successful, widely beloved games out on a yearly cadence on a shoestring without betraying their core values was a feat that absolutely anyone else in the industry would have killed to replicate.

Unfortunately for them, it seems like we've passed the point where that's sustainable for them without taking an axe to some of the most principle features of the franchise, and the current backlash is testament to that.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Upsetting to see pretty much every thread about this game be filled with the same complaints that have been around for a month. I don't understand why people are still stuck on it :/
You'd think the negative people would get tired, but their energy to shit on things they are no longer interested in Is infinite. That's Era though.

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Every new Pokemon has me excited. They each look so neat and fit right in with every other monster in existence. Every other aspect of the game increasingly becomes a yawn fest for me. It just looks like the same old thing that bothered me years prior but ever so slightly changed and not really for the better.

Someone on the inside secretly wants all the backlash to shake things up eternally.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Its speculation, but I think they just did a dynamax animation for charizard, but the dynamax fire move always appears at the same height for all Pokemon. So it didnt quite line up for Charizard, but for other Pokemon it would.
Also Charizard has a gigamax form, so they mightve not cared as much that it didnt line up since dynamax Charizard wouldnt be seen much anyway.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Its speculation, but I think they just did a dynamax animation for charizard, but the dynamax fire move always appears at the same height for all Pokemon. So it didnt quite line up for Charizard, but for other Pokemon it would.
Also Charizard has a gigamax form, so they mightve not cared as much that it didnt line up since dynamax Charizard wouldnt be seen much anyway.
I guess the spoiler is speculation, since I don't think we know that based on the leaks.
You'd think the negative people would get tired, but their energy to shit on things they are no longer interested in Is infinite. That's Era though.
Because unlike what some of you may think we don't hate Pokémon. Quite the contrary. This is actully puting a damper on our enjoyment of the franchise and we don't enjoy shitting constantly on the games and receiving backlash for voicing our concerns. What we want is for something to be done, and we won't stop until something is done, and we sure aren't stopping just because some of you find it annoying. Honestly, I don't care.

It's also not like we made a heel turn because GF has decided to stop letting us transfer our Pokémon. I'm barely affected by it, I don't care that much. What I DO care about is raising awareness of the trend GF adopted back around Gen VI which has led to this situation and will lead to more in the future. We've been warning everyone for years, particularly last year with Let's Go and very few people actually listened. Mostly because they never cared much, which is fair, but we could do without your constant whining about people's criticism towards GameFreak.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I know, but it was worth trying.

And I also knew you were going to say something like that, but there is a big difference. We actually want something to be done. But what's your end goal? Wanting something NOT to be done?

We want to be able to talk about and discuss a game we are looking forward to without it descending into pointless bickering.

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
Charizard is the champ's main pokemon.

its getting a new form.

(also its fucking Charizard lol)