• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I'd assume so since they're all the signature moves

I'd say a definite yes. the question is what forms the spinoffs will take. there surprisingly hasn't been a new, major spinoff announced for switch since Rumble. kinda though Mystery Dungeon would have been announced by now
It makes more sense to just put out mobile titles for spinoffs.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It makes more sense to just put out mobile titles for spinoffs.
while it does, it almost means that the selection of genres pokemon can get into will be severely limited. that could cause problems for TPC since the Game Freak games will only take longer to make and they'll need something to pad those years

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was quite clear. What you are doing now is a performance. To what end I'm not sure.

I'd like to think I'm a nice person. I don't wanna fight on ERA, and I don't wanna shit up Pokemon threads. I'm sure you're a nice person, too! So I'm just gonna say, you're missing my point. When I said to that earlier poster to report whomever, I wasn't doing it to backseat mod, I was telling them that they were overstating their grievance. There was no one calling them a shill for not saying "fuck Game Freak." They elaborated, made their point, and it was fine. They're a nice person too, I'm sure! Then I made the same point to you because there was no one in this thread being an "internet toughguy." Both of these are examples of carried over drama from other threads, and quadruple-layered meta discussion about nothing. There are no histrionics in this thread and there has been 1 ban for hostility. So there is simply no reason to launch into a diatribe about the state of toxicity on ERA in this thread, least of all to me when I'm making a point about how illogical it is to do just that. Which is why I didn't understand what you meant. Like, was it an inside joke I wasn't in on? I mean, calling no one in particular "internet toughguys?" You're better than that. Come on now. There is no reason for us to get 6 or 7 quotes deep into something so silly. I mean, imagine coming into this thread without having ever come into any other Pokemon Sword and Shield thread on ERA. It's gotta impossible to read. Like, what a bunch of lunatics! Myself included, for the record. What is this very post I'm writing? Nothing about nothing.

And to your earlier point, you're right, I'm not a mod. I'm not saying anyone has to stop doing whatever they'd like to do. I'm only doing precisely what I implore you and others to do-- not bottle up your frustration with people from other threads. If you really think someone is being so egregious, report them! Or talk it out. Like this. So that when the next Pokemon Sword and Shield thread pops up, the argument hasn't evolved even further, and I'm not in there ranting about people who call others internet toughguys, without you having actually done so in that thread. Y'know what I mean? We're (mostly) all adults, like... There's no reason we can't personally talk this out amongst ourselves and squash it.

See some toxicity on ERA? Confront it. Hell, PM me and I'll jump in and help you in any way I can. And I mean that.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
So considering Mantyke is there, are Remoraid and Octillery confirmed too? You do need a Remoraid to evolve Mantyke after all.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I'd assume so since they're all the signature moves

I'd say a definite yes. the question is what forms the spinoffs will take. there surprisingly hasn't been a new, major spinoff announced for switch since Rumble. kinda though Mystery Dungeon would have been announced by now

Super was made as a series finale/end point of sorts so it makes sense why they didn't rush to make a Gen 7 one. They felt PSMD was the ultimate in the franchise and they wouldn't make another until they can outdo it

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super was made as a series finale/end point of sorts so it makes sense why they didn't rush to make a Gen 7 one. They felt PSMD was the ultimate in the franchise and they wouldn't make another until they can outdo it
such a defeatist attitude. with new pokemon come new stories. the ultra beasts were practically made for Mystery Dungeon. Ishihara namedropped MD two years ago, so the lack of the series is surprising to me. at the very least, I hope someone else takes up the mantle for similar games

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised to see a threadmark for this thread. Is every Pokemon topic going to devolve into an argument between fans?

Anyway I made up my mind, I think I will get shield for the legendary. Seeing then both side by side cemented my decision.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The difference here is that Melee has less content than the later games.

Still gets more viewership than new games tho. That game is the ultimate example of core gameplay carrying it into infinity.
The "content" around the way the game actually plays got gutted hard instead.

That game, on the other hand, has the best gameplay and presentation of the series. They could have done a lot better with the post-game and some of the story was a bit odd. There was still a lot to improve on so I don't see why they would have to wait a long time to outdo it.

Last edited:

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina

I don't understand how they don't have the attack effects tied to certain parts of the Pokemons body so the fire blast follows along his head. Like come the fuck on. This is the shit that makes their excuse for cutting Pokemon sound like absolute bullshit.

In Battle Revolution, there is an energy barrier that briefly materializes to protect the trainers from Pokemon moves. It's a nice little attention to detail. This is my head canon for the mainline games.

Okay what the fuck? The attack looks perfect in this decade old game. It follows Persians head the entire way through. Jesus Christ Gamefreak.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

In Battle Revolution, there is an energy barrier that briefly materializes to protect the trainers from Pokemon moves. It's a nice little attention to detail. This is my head canon for the mainline games.

The real question is how the trainers standing right in front of the G-Max Pokemon don't get obliterated, lol

TheMink

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Connecticut
I don't understand how they don't have the attack effects tied to certain parts of the Pokemons body so the fire blast follows along his head. Like come the fuck on. This is the shit that makes their excuse for cutting Pokemon sound like absolute bullshit.

Okay what the fuck? The attack looks perfect in this decade old game. It follows Persians head the entire way through. Jesus Christ Gamefreak.

The amount of animations they had to do in that game were limited due to a lack of Pokemon and thus each one could have greater detail. However that's exactly the reason game freak gave for why not every Pokemon is here and the animations still haven't shown improvement. At least so far. But I'm definitely not optimistic.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing how my reaction to this game is compared to Sun and Moon. Every trailer of S/M had me hyped and filled with anticipation to play it, on the other hand all I feel for Sword/Shield is that I don't want to play any of that.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PBR had a huge downgrade graphically compared to the initial reveal so it's kind of weird seeing it held up like this.

It's also a hugely dissapointing game.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
such a defeatist attitude. with new pokemon come new stories. the ultra beasts were practically made for Mystery Dungeon. Ishihara namedropped MD two years ago, so the lack of the series is surprising to me. at the very least, I hope someone else takes up the mantle for similar games

I mean, being such story based games and feeling that Super was easily the best game of the franchise to date, (hell, it's my all time favorite game ever) I'd rather wait 3-6 years for an in-depth PMD that tops super than just a paint by numbers sequels meant to fill in a gap year. I don't want PMD to have it's Mega Man X6 moment with how PSMD ended on a climatic high note, so I'd rather it take all the time it needs or end on a high note. Or at the very least, port an enhanced version of one of the other PMD games and make it with all the Gen 8 pokemon. Chunsoft at least doesn't have to suffer from an annual release schedule and i'd like if they took advantage of the free time instead of working to a deadline.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely basing my version choice on the gym leaders. Apparently there's another pair of exclusive leaders, so I'm still waiting for that.
I can easily get the other exclusive mons from another player anyways.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Broke: Not getting SwSh
Woke: Getting one version
Galaxy Brain: Getting both versions and a Switch Lite so you can trade the exclusive Pokémon by yourself.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Hmm...I'm no longer buying the games but Sword continues to definitely be the version that I would choose. The legendary mascot and gym leaders continue to be excellent on Sword's side.

The one thing that Shield has going for me are the exclusive Dragon pseudolegendaries so far.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, being such story based games and feeling that Super was easily the best game of the franchise to date, (hell, it's my all time favorite game ever) I'd rather wait 3-6 years for an in-depth PMD that tops super than just a paint by numbers sequels meant to fill in a gap year. I don't want PMD to have it's Mega Man X6 moment with how PSMD ended on a climatic high note, so I'd rather it take all the time it needs or end on a high note. Or at the very least, port an enhanced version of one of the other PMD games and make it with all the Gen 8 pokemon. Chunsoft at least doesn't have to suffer from an annual release schedule and i'd like if they took advantage of the free time instead of working to a deadline.

They already had their low point with GTI

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Broke: Not getting SwSh
Woke: Getting one version
Galaxy Brain: Getting both versions and a Switch Lite so you can trade the exclusive Pokémon by yourself.
make sure you get this beauty:

Nintendo-Switch-LIte-POkémon-edition.jpg

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I kinda want Shield for Alister, but Zamazenta looks so lame that the boxart alone is pushing me to Sword.

I'll be getting the game at launch only because Best Buy is offering $10 of credit for members if you preorder, and as pissed off as I am, the Pokemon fan in me I can't bring me to boycott the game altogether, and $10 is $10.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I don't think there hasn't been any preorders at all for the Pokemon Switch Lite here in the US right?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
PBR had a huge downgrade graphically compared to the initial reveal so it's kind of weird seeing it held up like this.

Pokémon Battle Revolution was the one that opened my eyes that games could actually be bad. I hated it. I wanted either Colloseum 3 or Stadium 3, and I got a boring-ass game with nothing to do. No Stadium minigames (the true reason to play Stadium) nor a Colloseum-style adventure.

I only noticed the animations were cool when watching False Swipe Gaming, I was too frustrated to notice it when I played it as a child.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017

It was never exected to look the same as the reveal trailer. The power wasn't there on the Wii. As for being a disappointment, If I remember right, the reason for that was because it was rushed in the last minute as it was intended to be release late 2007, but was pushed forward to fill up the Holiday 2006 releases. I doubt it would've been another Colosseum game, but at least it would've been more than just a shallow battle simulator. Heck, it didn't even had widescreen support when it was released in Japan.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
Yeah, PBR is a bad game. Bad bad. It's just that the only aspect where they were actually good, the battle animations, is surprisingly relevant nowadays. Also, I don't think it was ever supposed to look like the reveal trailer, that was less of a downgrade and more of a concept.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man Shield is not getting much love compared to Sword.

Oh, I am for sure going Shield. Allister looks awesome (like an Inazuma Eleven character, actually) and Kommo-o and Hydreigon aren't great mons competitively (which is my primary concern when it comes to exclusives) whereas Tyranitar is fantastic.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I'm getting both and will play whichever arrives first, but I am hoping Sword arrives first