• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
Cool to see Toxapex made it in, that shiny Mareanie I hatched a few weeks ago won't be stuck in Gen 7. I wasn't expecting it to make it.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Mawile is back! And it lost the one thing that made it remotely usable.

Even with my expectations lowered, this game continues to disappoint.

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Looks decent. Hope reviews at least touch on level/world design. It's been the biggest issue for me since the 3DS era.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would hope Mawile gets buffed, gets a Gigantamax, or better yet, gets the mega form integrated as a normal evo (real talk who's gonna complain?). The developers seemed to realize how underpowered it was before XY to even give it a Mega in the first place, so it being back raises some eyebrows.

I mean, it's not gonna stop me from using it anyway but y'know.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I would hope Mawile gets buffed, gets a Gigantamax, or better yet, gets the mega form integrated as a normal evo (real talk who's gonna complain?). The developers seemed to realize how underpowered it was before XY to even give it a Mega in the first place, so it being back raises some eyebrows.

I mean, it's not gonna stop me from using it anyway but y'know.

It would be cool if for pokemon like Mawile or Beedrill they made the mega evo a regular evo (maybe a bit nerfed because Choice band Mega Mawile would be broken) and for Tyranitar, Garchomp and similar make the mega evo their gygamax form.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That animation Grookey uses for what I assume is Razor Leaf is new.

But nooo they're not changing anything, right?
Lmao is that really grounds to boast? A minor animation change for a handful of moves. Guess expectations hit rock bottom for some.

Changing move animations every few games used to be the expectation.

Oct 26, 2017
Sometimes they will use designed animations in that case to simulate physics. If its as detailed as the fire effects in this game its going to look strange if the whole animation is shifting. They could probably combine the shared animation with a generated one in some way.

Yeah, an anchor point approach would not work that well with this type of animation.
But they could at least change the offset for the animation's origin a bit though(on a case by case basis)...

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I find it strange though that only specials found our in thw Raids can use Gigantamax, you would think with a Dynamax level in the stat screen Pokemon would be able to use it after maxing it that out.

Oct 27, 2017
I can't get over how stupid Dynamaxing and Gigantamaxing are. I just can't.

Other than that, I continue to fluctuate between extremely whelmed about this title to actively disliking many of its new features and mechanics. And to think I was sure I couldn't be more disappointed after Let's Go...

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I find it strange though that only specials found our in thw Raids can use Gigantamax, you would think with a Dynamax level in the stat screen Pokemon would be able to use it after maxing it that out.

Every Pokemon has that Dynamax level though, while obviously you won't see Gingatamax forms for every Pokemon.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Looks great to me. The vast majority of the complaints I've seen just don't register on my list of things to be concerned about, so long as the new Pokemon designs are good (which they are so far) and the gameplay is fun (which it always is).

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
This bop

edit: damn, beaten but nice to see people know

i don't understand how anyone can keep saying sword and shield look like upscaled 3DS games

compare this sun and moon trailer to this sword and shield one and the switch games look 100x better than the 3ds one. Especially the character models and environments.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Every Pokemon has that Dynamax level though, while obviously you won't see Gingatamax forms for every Pokemon.
True, but would it be so bad if for some Pokemon it would just mean a stat bonus and for others a new form? Perhaps even for the Pokemon with exclusive Z-Moves a Max Dynamax Level would be a trade off scenario where they could use it in exchange for the other 2 turns.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
These games at the very least look better than Gen 7 with it's constant cutscenes and character interruptions. I guess I cant say for sure this one wont have that but with things like the Wild Area and no other important friend characters to follow you around besides Hop, they might actualy go back to letting you experience things on your own again.

Still I do wish these games were more impressive. I would be A ok with cutting the National Dex if it really meant more high quality animations/models but it really seems like more of the same.

Man, you have the same hangups about this game as me. I recently wanted to try replaying Moon to better my thoughts on the game before Sw/Sh, but I can't even finish the main plot. CONSTANT interruptions to the point where I barely feel like I'm allowed to play the game!

I also don't really mind the National Dex pull if it means a more visibly upgraded art direction/animation, but it doesn't feel different enough from S/M in that regard. (REALLY doesn't help that they're apparently reusing some of Hau's animations for Hop...)

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Alcremie is wild when you think about it because it's a like a non-gross sludge Pokémon. It's like "what if Grimer was beautiful and not gross?" People keep talking about it as if it's just another food Pokémon but it's cool to me to think of it like this.
I love them so much. I don't even care if they're a shit type.

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That would still only make Mawile good for three turns before it goes back to being terrible once the G-Max wears off.

We don't know if Gigantamax is going by the same rules of Dynamax. Beside only being three turns and only boosting Pokémon HP at Dynamax level 1 we're not fully sure what Dynamax is fully capable of either.