• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yea, some pokemon are just gonna go back to being useless again. I don't think the Galarian meta will actually change that

No love for Fairy?? :O

I dig it.
he's probably mad his dragon bros got knocked the fuck out by a rabbit

tumblr_oiyvf83kS71t8f4e9o2_250.gif

just look at this murder machine

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokémon that Gigantamax can also Dynamax with just their regular form (they showcased this in the last trailer with Alcremie).

Only certain Pokémon in a species that can Dynamax can Gigantamax.

As of now the only Pokémon capable of Gigantamax are caught in Raid battles.

I'm sure I'm the future we will get event Pokémon that can Gigantamax off the back without no work to be out in on our end.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I'm the future we will get event Pokémon that can Gigantamax off the back without no work to be out in on our end.
oh yea, speaking of this, I can't wait for the surprise pokemon additions to be ruined because Game Freak hasn't figured out this downloadable content yet

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh yea, speaking of this, I can't wait for the surprise pokemon additions to be ruined because Game Freak hasn't figured out this downloadable content yet

Imagine, one day we log into the game... and we get word in game of a exclusive event, Raid, or quest for a limited time and at the end of it we have to the chance to catch a rare event Pokémon instead of going to our local GameStop for a code.

The impossible dream

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
yea, some pokemon are just gonna go back to being useless again. I don't think the Galarian meta will actually change that

Bro as long as they're cute idgaf

I'd have a whole team of useless ass Pichu if I had the patience to hatch eggs

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its the best looking 3d Pokemon game by far.... but that water still really bothers me. You have all these cel shaded models and the waters just like sort of realistic generated water. Honestly preferred how that aspect looked here.

3564d74d61664d04a1182a3b33738343.jpg

It's much better from a technical standpoint though. I agree that it clashes a bit with how realistic it is compared to Let's Go and the rest of the world, but it allows for better lighting reflection and physics, unlike the cartoony water from Let's Go.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's much better from a technical standpoint though. I agree that it clashes a bit with how realistic it is compared to Let's Go and the rest of the world, but it allows for better lighting reflection and physics, unlike the cartoony water from Let's Go.

Would be neat if the water was actually reflecting the surroundings which it doesn't appear to be. Looks like a loosely area related reflection map or something.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
gotta love how people zero in on one frame in a trailer to take a shit on the whole game while ignoring the rest of it

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
its the best looking 3d Pokemon game by far.... but that water still really bothers me. You have all these cel shaded models and the waters just like sort of realistic generated water. Honestly preferred how that aspect looked here.

3564d74d61664d04a1182a3b33738343.jpg
Yeah, it could be a middle ground between Let's Go and SwSh, looking slightly cartoony but also having reflections to make it more detailed.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be neat if the water was actually reflecting the surroundings which it doesn't appear to be. Looks like a loosely area related reflection map or something.

It definitely reflects the lighting of the day though. We haven't seen yet a piece of water close to a building or something to see if it could also reflect that or not. I expect it to.

EDIT: actually, in this shot you can see that the water reflects the shadow of the house on the right. So it does reflects the surroundings.
1562942021-sans-titre.png

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece

Azumarill was MVP for me in Gen 6. Play Rough stab with huge power, just holy shit. Not only dragons, everyone was going down with this absolute unit.
I love how slowly but surely the graphics are being updated here on there. I am fairly certain the round things in the City didn't spin before, there is some proper cloud shadows in the overworld, and there is clearly a better method of cel shading for the battle background in that last shot of the second gif conpared to the low res look in the initial trailer. Gamefreak has issues, but its clear that they are putting in work for the graphics to be more than passable.

Also cutscenes aren't an issue guys. Unless they are absolutely braindead, there is no reason for gamefreak to introduce a skip cutscene button in Let's Go and cut it out for Gen 8, which will be 100x more story heavy. Also USUM showed major signs that they realized SM was a bit too heavy in this department.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
It definitely reflects the lighting of the day though. We haven't seen yet a piece of water close to a building or something to see if it could also reflect that or not. I expect it to.

EDIT: actually, in this shot you can see that the water reflects the shadow of the house on the right. So it does reflects the surroundings.
1562942021-sans-titre.png
I think that's actually just a cloud casting shadow on the lake. There are a few missing reflections in other areas of the game, which suggests they're not using screen-space reflections but, actually, cube-mapping. So they're static.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Also cutscenes aren't an issue guys. Unless they are absolutely braindead, there is no reason for gamefreak to introduce a skip cutscene button in Let's Go and cut it out for Gen 8, which will be 100x more story heavy. Also USUM showed major signs that they realized SM was a bit too heavy in this department.

I don't know about the cutscene skip button, but the tail wag item dowsing is 100% gone :(

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that's actually just a cloud casting shadow on the lake. There are a few missing reflections in other areas of the game, which suggests they're not using screen-space reflections but, actually, cube-mapping. So they're static.

Idk
the screenshot I posted earlier is from february, in the E3 demo it definitely felt like there was actual reflections of the surrounding and the lighting on the water
ee8.gif

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Idk
the screenshot I posted earlier is from february, in the E3 demo it definitely felt like there was actual reflections of the surrounding and the lighting on the water
ee8.gif
Yeah, it's attempting to reflect the surroundings, but it's not dynamic, so it's missing some stuff. They bake a texture from the surroundings and then apply it to a cube map to serve as a reflection on water surfaces. You can see in that gif how the trees close around the lake are not properly reflected on the water. Instead, you see trees that aren't even there. It's a very cheap effect in regards to processing, but also not really accurate.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's attempting to reflect the surroundings, but it's not dynamic, so it's missing some stuff. They bake a texture from the surroundings to serve as reflection. You can see in that gif how the trees close around the lake are not properly reflected on the water. Instead, you see trees that aren't even there. It's a very cheap effect in regards to processing, but also not really accurate.

Oh well, you're probably right. As long as it works though. It fooled me.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sure about that? I seen lot's of people dumping on the whole game with that whole tree fiasco, not to mention that dumb Chinese mobile game drama from yesterday that "put Game Freak to shame."

I'm pretty sure people are actually dumping the game for a mix of factors, or for the sole nationaldex fiasco. Anyone expecting cutting edge graphics in pokemon is just waiting for dissapointment, however that doesn't mean the game couldn't get to the level of other switch games.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
The Steam city is definitely one of the areas in the game where there is just nothing to complain about visually. It just looks great down to the smallest details.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's attempting to reflect the surroundings, but it's not dynamic, so it's missing some stuff. They bake a texture from the surroundings and then apply it to a cube map to serve as a reflection on water surfaces. You can see in that gif how the trees close around the lake are not properly reflected on the water. Instead, you see trees that aren't even there. It's a very cheap effect in regards to processing, but also not really accurate.
>not RT reflections

garbage

though SSR would have been nice

chinese bootleg still looks better tho

I shouldn't need the sarcasm tag, I hope

CaseyVGCx

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
The only thing in this game the actually looks very meh is mainly Wild Area. The cities, routes, and the other things shown looked pretty good. I still wish that the artstyle was more stylized. Mixing in the realistic art style just looks a bit weird.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is doing that. And the flaws are really hard to ignore. A lot of the graphics shown in the OW are so bad, besides trees and water.
Hard disagree I think the game looks great. And they are doing that , the whole last page is filled with quotes of that charizard picture.

I appreciate that this stuff is subjective, in no way do I think that everyone should think the game looks good. It's just like the same few images getting spammed to death to talk about the game looking bad.

Like at least diversify your examples lol

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
A good compromise for the water would be Odyssey style. It looks a bit more cartoonish but still has all the modern rendering features.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda already tired of seeing the wild area. there's just seemingly not a whole lot there. it's small and a single biome. it's a massive jump by Game Freak's standards, sure, but I question how they are gonna stretch it out. with any luck, Gen 9 will have multiple wild areas in different biomes

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda already tired of seeing the wild area. there's just seemingly not a whole lot there. it's small and a single biome. it's a massive jump by Game Freak's standards, sure, but I question how they are gonna stretch it out. with any luck, Gen 9 will have multiple wild areas in different biomes
I don't think it's small. Obviously seeing panoramic shots makes it feel smaller than it actually is

Oct 27, 2017
As of now the only Pokémon capable of Gigantamax are caught in Raid battles.

This is interesting and leads to a point I don't think anyone else has mentioned. If only raid battle pokemon can be gigantamax'd, and your starters can, your starters must be special or obtained in a special way other than the professor just having them. But it seems these raid battle points are only in the Wild Area. Maybe your starter is linked to it in some way

Oct 26, 2017
Well all those Pokemon have Megas, and there is an increasingly growing list of Mega Compatible Pokemon so far:
Charizard
Gengar
Gyaradis
Steelix
Scizor
Tyranitar
Glalie
Manetric
Gardevoir
Lucario
Gallade
Abomasnow

Excluding the other starters and the 3 legendaries, that already is 1/3 of the Mega able Pokemon. I'm just saying, Megas surely can't be dead if they are bringing back Mawile FFS.

I'd like to believe that to be true, but I don't have faith in Megas returning in Sword/Shield.

Other folks have speculated that the Megas are being repurposed into Gigantamax forms, but I don't buy that either. Until we know more about their mechanics, the only thing Gigantamax forms have going for them is an exclusive move. The typings, abilties and stats(outside of HP) of a Gigantamax form are all presumably the same as a Dynamax form, at least based on what we know for now. I'd hate to see something like Mega Beedrill as a Gigantamax, only it *doesn't* have Adaptability and it's amazing attack and speed stats.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Half of the stuff I see of this game is exactly what I wanted and dreamed of for a Pokemon console game. It sucks that they missed the mark on a bunch of other stuff. Hopefully it's something they can improve on over time.

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
Game freak you should be ashamed of yourself for the sheer incompetence of it all but I'm part of the problem I preordered both version

No national dex
Charging for Pokémon bank when you can't bring them forward to other games
Introducing features and taking them away
Following Pokémon gone
Taking photos with Pokémon gone
Post game beyond boring

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious about Galar's London. It looks absolutely huge on the Galar Map and we haven't seen even a screenshot of it yet.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's multiple biomes with dynamic weather. We haven't even seen all of it yet
those multiple biomes are just routes. the open, controllable camera part is just wild area. I would like for there to be more open areas, but I'm not gonna hold my breath

I don't think it's small. Obviously seeing panoramic shots makes it feel smaller than it actually is
maybe, but having seen shots from the front and back with the same structures in the middle, really shrinks the area

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
those multiple biomes are just routes. the open, controllable camera part is just wild area. I would like for there to be more open areas, but I'm not gonna hold my breath

They already said that the wild area is made up of multiple biomes and that the Pokemon you face in the raid battles will depend on the biome and the weather.

Oct 27, 2017

Grassland and desert are already 2 different biomes that we've seen. We don't know how far north it extends, or if it extends to the left into the sea (maybe to a more tropical climate?), etc