• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
schermata2021-02-01ale1kll.png

Last Pokémon entry to sell more than 20 million units was Gold/Silver, which totaled 23.73m. Sword/Shield has sold up until 31 December, 2020 20.35m. Let's Go also reach the 13m mark.

qit7Dqh.png

Thanks Serebii for the picture!

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Even if I didn't really like the games, I'm happy for the staff involved for their success.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
massive!
curious how the D/P remakes will do. probably not as much as sword/shield but way higher than let's go.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Absolutely hated these games, but from the good stuff I've heard about the DLC I've got my fingers crossed they'll take the best parts into Gen 9. Would love to see a more fleshed out Wild Area like I've heard is in Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra. Hope the sales push that open direction!

Delio

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive sales. I'll echo others and say i wonder how the DLC alone sold.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Absolutely hated these games, but from the good stuff I've heard about the DLC I've got my fingers crossed they'll take the best parts into Gen 9. Would love to see a more fleshed out Wild Area like I've heard is in Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra. Hope the sales push that open direction!

I have a feeling whatever comes next, we're gonna see a lot of "Sw/Sh walked so new game could run".

Oct 25, 2017
i hate this generation of Pokémon games, but its cool they sold so much. i guess. hopefully the working devs get some sort of bonus. but will likely only go to department heads and management. so james turner and Ohmori.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
If we're lucky, this won't cause them to get complacent and ignore all the fairly deep issues with the game.

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
I was pretty unimpressed with the base game, but the DLC was a good time. Not even mad.

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
I have a feeling whatever comes next, we're gonna see a lot of "Sw/Sh walked so new game could run".
Very much hoping so. Especially with these being the first brand new HD mainline games etc., I'm really hoping to see them fix up the issues I had in these titles and make Gen 9 some seriously great titles. I'll keep my fingers crossed until then!

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I really wanna know how the DLC sold. Revenue-wise there's no doubt SwSh is way more profitable than prior generations, what with the games being sold at $60, but I'm really curious if, units-wise, base games + DLC is more or less than past base games + enhanced version(s)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
By the end of this generation every major Nintendo IP that has a switch release will be the best selling version of that IP ever. The switch is an insanely popular system.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
If we're lucky, this won't cause them to get complacent and ignore all the fairly deep issues with the game.
I wouldn't be making any trips to Vegas.

It's one of my least favorite gens but I do think the DLC had some fun ideas, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of content.

Here's hoping the DP remakes are HGHS tier.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The DLC really propped the game up to be a fun, though visually muddy, solid game.

SWSH is nowhere near as bad as people say it is. It's enjoyable and with the DLC it may have pipped SM/USUM as my favourite generation. We'll see how it goes

OP
OP
sfortunato

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I really wanna know how the DLC sold. Revenue-wise there's no doubt SwSh is way more profitable than prior generations, what with the games being sold at $60, but I'm really curious if, units-wise, base games + DLC is more or less than past base games + enhanced version(s)

Hard to know but keep in mind that at the end Sword/Shield won't be very far from Sun/Moon combined with UltraSun/UltraMoon.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
SWSH is nowhere near as bad as people say it is. It's enjoyable and with the DLC it may have pipped SM/USUM as my favourite generation. We'll see how it goes
i played every single generation and remake and Let's Go and SWSH are in my top 3.

i hope they keep making the hardcore fans salty.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Well deserved the new raid mode is my favorite addition to battles since double battles in Ruby and Sapphire. It's legitimately awesome we finally have some form of co-op in modern Pokémon games thanks to it. I hope Gamefreak experiments with raids more like they did with the last dlc and really make it shine more in future games. Would be fun if we could have lots of encounters like the hard Mewtwo raid more often.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
i played every single generation and remake and Let's Go and SWSH are in my top 3.

It's pretty hard to make me consider SMUSUM not my top seeing as I love the feel of Alola and I am always behind hokey B-Movie Sci-Fi plots

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I wish any other game in the series had this success (well..except maybe Let's go) but still congratulations nonetheless. Hope the franchise can reach greater heights in the future.

Oct 27, 2017
🤷‍♂️

I was never able to get into the main game, even though I've played through every. single. Pokémon. game. before. I need to power through and get to the DLC, I guess.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think theyve ever done this, get complacent i mean
Honestly I think complacency is probably a big factor in how Sword and Shield got to be such a mess in the first place. Only budgeting 3 years to make the game in the first place was madness after how their previous hardware transition went, and the pretty well documented difficulties from other developers making the HD transition during the preceding decade. The only reason I could think of why it might have gone this way was due to way some of the higher ups have admitted they were skeptical of the Switch pre-release, but you'd think that they would have had plenty of time to course correct from that.

I'm sure you'd appreciate it as well if the game actually seemed finished.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I want to say that I hope this pushes Gamefreak to really do more with future games, but it's not like the last 4 sets of games releases prior to SwSh weren't already doing crazy sales numbers. It's difficult to look at the state of the franchise now and not feel sad at how they're under-utilising it.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think complacency is probably a big factor in how Sword and Shield got to be such a mess in the first place. Only budgeting 3 years to make the game in the first place was madness after how their previous hardware transition went, and the pretty well documented difficulties from other developers making the HD transition during the preceding decade. The only reason I could think of why it might have gone this way was due to way some of the higher ups have admitted they were skeptical of the Switch pre-release, but you'd think that they would have had plenty of time to course correct from that.

I'm sure you'd appreciate it as well if the game actually seemed finished.
But thats what i mean, this(and lets go) was their 1st 3D HD game ever, it was an uphill climb for them whether they were more prepared for it or not, they had over 1000 people working on this game, theres nothing really complacent about it. Like always the next game and possibly 9th gen if it's still on switch will continue to improve after that aswell.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Kind of nuts, I liked the games enough but playing through it again recently I was pretty bored. The DLC definitely helps break up the game and provide a wider variety of mons thank god but overall the pacing and linearity of these games are what really kill the enjoyment for me.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I want to say that I hope this pushes Gamefreak to really do more with future games, but it's not like the last 4 sets of games releases prior to SwSh weren't already doing crazy sales numbers. It's difficult to look at the state of the franchise now and not feel sad at how they're under-utilising it.
What do you mean "the state of the franchise"?

Pokémon GO is stil huge
Pokémon Masters EX is doing decently and has improved
SWSH is much loved (aside from a vocal minority)
The anime is well liked
They're about to unleash a game of the world's most popular video game genre
We're getting a much requested sequel to a fan favourite and console spin-offs are a thing once more

IzzyRX

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Oh boy, Twitter won't be a happy place today.
It was bound to happen, DLC + Switch being a beast and all that.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well deserved. I didn't bother to play the DLC (too expensive), but judging from the reception, I have high hopes they'll take what they learned from that and make Gen 9 dope

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I'm always surprised that Sun and Moon didn't sell more, especially more than XY, considering the 20th anniversary and Pokémon Go hype of that year, but I guess it was late in the 3DS' life or something.

I'm happy to see the franchise continue to do really well, and I'm happy for the devs. I won't derail the thread with my issues on the game, so all I will say is that I wish certain other generations reached 20 million instead haha.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Didn't like the games as much, easily the worst gen but not surprising with the succes of the Switch.

DLC was definitely better but still, this franchise deserves waaaaay better.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Whoa, why didn't HGSS sell better? Late-life DS entry, so what gives?