• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: THIS IS FIXED NOW, THANK ARCEUS!

So as many of you know, Pokemon Sword and Shield are pretty controversial games to say the least, for many reasons I'm not going to get into here. What's important to me though, is that this game seemed to have nailed most of the competitive aspects. Raising perfect Pokemon is easier than ever, and the ladder system is fun and snappy, and hell, the regional dex is a really fun bunch of mons to work with in Gamefreak's ladders. I was even starting to warm up to the idea of a rotating group of mons if competitve play was going to be this fun! I even got into the top 500 in ranked sinlges, and top 1000 in ranked doubles (I posted about this in the OT actually, but heres a pic for singles!)

EK1WP2ZUUAA_E7J

And then I see this tweet when I get up this morning

For those of you who can't see the tweet, basically this is Sejun Park, the guy made famous by winning the 2014 offical Pokemon tournament with Pachirisu, saying that anyone whose reached master ball tier appears to have been banned from playing ranked battles after the matienence. Additionally, people who haven't gotten to master ball tier until today have noticed that they seem to be much higher in the standings than expected, with one person in that twitter thread of Sejun Park's in particular having gotten to #1 on the ladder with only 22 battles done. So this suggests the ban wasn't for stuff like say, having Pokemon from the future or hacking, but just a blanket erasure of everyone who reached master ball.

EDIT FOR CALIFICATION: So to be clear here, the reason the competitive fanbase is up in a tizzy over this, is because their ratings may have been totally wiped after dozens of hours of laddering.

Frankly, I'm very angry over this. I've spent over 230 hours on the game, with pretty much the main purpose being to play competitively online, since competitive Pokemon is one of my passions in life. It's no secret that there's a lot of reasons this game is divisve, ranging from dexit to animations, graphical quality, removal of features like GTS and replays, etc. I wasn't happy with a lot of that stuff either, but I was having so much fun with competitive play that I was really happy with Sword and Shield in the end. But this is a particularly stunning display of incompetence. If Gamefreak / Nintendo / TPC can't even gurantee a working rated sysem, they've sadly destroyed my reason to buy these games anymore, and I'll have to take my bussiness elsewhere.

I really hope they have a reasonable solution for this, because this is an astounding screw up for the competitive Pokemon community, especially since MANY people reached master ball tier before this hit!

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I saw a streamer having this issue, nothing indicated he is banned just that he can't do online battles. They probably messed something up during maintenance.

It just says a connection error occured. So I do think that thread title is somewhat misleading.

Will

Oct 26, 2017
I checked this morning before work and confirmed I got banned. I assume they'll unban everyone eventually but I'm gonna be mad if I have to grind the singles and doubles ladders again to get the prize payout at the end of the season.

ParksCo2

Oct 31, 2017
Out of the Millions of players what exactly is the number of people affected. Too many times a miniscule minority of people have issues and we are told a hot take that everyone is suffering.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah I saw the tweet earlier. Hopefully it is just a fuck up but with how the rest of the online is treated, I wouldn't be surprised if it was intentional.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Why don't we wait and hear what Gamefreak/TPC has to say about this before jumping to conclusions? Hmm?

What does this even mean? What are you referring to? I don't understand.

Jump to conclusions about what? The readily observable situation?

You think people should wait for the corporate statement on a situation without observing it or discussing it at all?

OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Out of the Millions of players what exactly is the number of people affected. Too many times a miniscule minority of people have issues and we are told a hot take that everyone is suffering.

I don't get this take. I'm talking about a very specific issue that impacts my enjoyment of the game. Of course this doesn't effect people who just play the game for the single player or completing the dex. That isn't the point of this thread, the point of this thread is the pretty clear screw up that happened, that impacts this specfic part of the Pokemon fanbase I and many other people enjoy a lot.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
What does this even mean? What are you referring to? I don't understand.

Jump to conclusions about what? The readily observable situation?

You think people should wait for the corporate statement on a situation without observing it or discussing it at all?

I think framing it as "we have been banned" is kinda misleading when nothing in the game indicates that they are actually banned. Unless Pokemon never tells you that then please correct me.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think framing it as "we have been banned" is kinda misleading when nothing in the game indicates that they are actually banned. Unless Pokemon never tells you that then please correct me.
new people are able to reached ranked and the old rankings seem to have been wiped away, so even if it's unintentional all of the existing master ball tier have been effectively banned

Will

Oct 26, 2017
The fact that I cannot play it at all is at least equivalent to me being banned. This isn't an issue that effects everyone trying to play ranked, by the way. Only people who were in Master Ball Tier before the maintenance.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I assume this is an error rather than intentional ban or something. Still extremely unfortunate for those affected.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something or is this just an obvious glitch that they'll roll back as soon as they can?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I think part of it was that the ruleset accidentally allowed some Gigantamax Pokémon in and created an unfair advantage but I don't think banning was intentional

This was obviously an accident and not an intended malicious act like some are framing

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it's a mistake I'm curious how something like this happens. How does server maintenance end up resetting everyone in the highest competitive rank?

Deleted member 14313

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you can't take part in battles you have been banned. Probably mistakenly (and so will eventually be fixed) but it is a ban nonetheless.

OP
OP
Theorymon

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something or is this just an obvious glitch that they'll roll back as soon as they can?

I think most of us are assuming this is a glitch, and if they can roll this back, I'll happily have this thread locked, and continue on my happy way having fun with laddering!

That being said, in case this is some sort of unfixable sitaution, I dont think that should go unotice. IIRC there were at least 40k people in singles who reached master ball tier, so that's a massive fuck up if all those ratings are gone. I sure hope this can be fixed, I spent a lot of time and effort to build a team and play to get the rating I did!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming it's a mistake I'm curious how something like this happens. How does server maintenance end up resetting everyone in the highest competitive rank?
I've heard it suggested it might be related to the fact that only people in master ball tier actually have a numerical ranking, so it might be related to some effort to reformulate how ranks work

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think part of it was that the ruleset accidentally allowed some Gigantamax Pokémon in and created an unfair advantage but I don't think banning was intentional

This was obviously an accident and not an intended malicious act like some are framing
I think so too but if they don't fix it properly I'll be rightly upset.

I got Master ball in both singles and doubles and do not want to redo it this season.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
new people are able to reached ranked and the old rankings seem to have been wiped away, so even if it's unintentional all of the existing master ball tier have been effectively banned
The fact that I cannot play it at all is at least equivalent to me being banned. This isn't an issue that effects everyone trying to play ranked, by the way. Only people who were in Master Ball Tier before the maintenance.
If you can't take part in battles you have been banned. Probably mistakenly (and so will eventually be fixed) but it is a ban nonetheless.

For me that's not a ban, but I get what you mean. It's a dumb situation.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it was obviously an accident, the issue is will rankings be properly restored and when can we expect this to be fixed?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
For the record, if you were banned I am fairly certain the error message would say. A glitch is preventing your play. You have not been banned.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What a take. Where in the OP were you "told a hot take that everyone is suffering"? Came in with a narrative to push.

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

This is also weird. So everyone who's ever failed to have a CoD game launch online because of server issues was "banned" during that time? Everyone who plays WoW is "banned" when a server crashes?

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
that it was on purpose
Literally nobody was making this assumption or coming to this conclusion. The OP, in fact, indicates the opposite and hopes it is swiftly fixed:

But this is a particularly stunning display of incompetence. If Gamefreak / Nintendo / TPC can't even gurantee a working rated sysem, they've sadly destroyed my reason to buy these games anymore, and I'll have to take my bussiness elsewhere.

I really hope they have a reasonable solution for this, because this is an astounding screw up for the competitive Pokemon community, especially since MANY people reached master ball tier before this hit!

So that makes no sense either.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
I get why people are upset, but the way this issue is being presented in the OP is kinda over the top.
As it is obviously an accident and not intentional, I don't see how this is even comparable to the other "controversies" linked to the game.

This will probably be fixed soon.

(Also, I'm only Level 9, so everyone above me is obviously a cheater and deserves to be banned.)

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Well it's somewhat disparaging and antagonistic as well as not exactly accurate
I don't really agree. And the situation was really annoying, especially since we haven't heard anything yet about what happened and when we can expect a fix. People are annoyed and rightfully so. Nobody really believes this is permanent or intentional, that doesn't really change the situation though

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
again this feels like a pointless semantic arguement since the effect remains the same

No. Banned clearly had a much more negative and permanent connotation. Saying these players were banned clearly implies a way lower chance that they will ever be allowed to play ranked again. This will get fixed or I agree it's worthy of a huge outcry. But it will get fixed.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is also weird. So everyone who's ever failed to have a CoD game launch online because of server issues was "banned" during that time? Everyone who plays WoW is "banned" when a server crashes?
Except none of the people affected here are having server issues. All of us are able to play casual battles or engage in other online features of the game perfectly, it literally only effects ranked

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No. Banned clearly had a much more negative and permanent connotation. Saying these players were banned clearly implies a way lower chance that they will ever be allowed to play ranked again. This will get fixed or I agree it's worthy of a huge outcry. But it will get fixed.
Not really, temporary and accidental bans are a thing and bans always have the potential to be undone if the reason was faulty.

piratethingy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Except none of the people affected here are having server issues. All of us are able to play casual battles or engage in other online features of the game perfectly, it literally only effects ranked

So extend my analogy to any time a glitch has unintentionally excluded certain members of an online game from accessing matchmaking. Those players were not banned and neither are you.