• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely not any more empty than BOTW is, and catching Pokémon already gives it an innate sense of purpose

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this area has roaming legendaries. Any of them. It's the perfect time to have you chase them on a bike.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Galar will likely set up a new standard for new regions so yeah it's kind of going to be weird when they do the inevitable Sinnoh remake next.

Rather than a giant single wild area they could try to expand more the roads so that they can feel like mini open areas.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Strange example. You expect them to shoehorn a new game mechanic/area into a remake?
ORAS had all the new mechanics of XY.
I don't think we'll see a wild area in the DP remakes, but I think they'll do something in the same vein, be it opening up the routes to be larger and more open or turning the post game island into a large area.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strange example. You expect them to shoehorn a new game mechanic/area into a remake?
well it's not like I'm expecting them to recreate Sinnoh like previous games. even ORAS adhered to the GBA template. either they remake the game in SS style or they go Let's Go style.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that tracks with what we already knew
pHQZGXr.jpg
Looks like it's similar to Ocarina Hyrule Field, like a hub that connects the other regions.

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
Isn't the Sinnoh Underground or even Mt. Coronet prime for being remade as a Wild Area?
Mt. Coronet as a wild area would be fun if it can keep the same layout and journey as the originals. They're my favorite part of the the game and not seeing a Chingling every 10 steps would be nice.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
To be honest, I'd rather it never will be the whole game
Same here. I feel they are using the Wild Area as some kind of test and see how players react to it. If people like it they'll probably expand on the concept in future entries but I don't think the whole game will be like that. Free camera tho needs to be in the whole game.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Hum. Really wonder how much you have access to at what points in the game and how wild Pokémon levels are balanced around that

MangoUltz

Mar 24, 2019
Given it looks like we have access to at least the big bottom portion from pretty early on, I wonder will the reward for getting each badge be something like an increase in the level of pokemon you can find in the wild area or an increase in pokemon diversity you can find? Like as you get stronger more pokemon are willing to reveal themselves to you there?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I feel they are using the Wild Area as some kind of test and see how players react to it. If people like it they'll probably expand on the concept in future entries but I don't think the whole game will be like that. Free camera tho needs to be in the whole game.
is that really a test that's needed? the test has been done time and time again. there's a reason damn near every best seller right now is an open world game

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
One thing I will say about the open world pokemon discourse is that, keep in mind neither method is defacto better. It's okay to be into wondering big open fields but preferring smaller, curated zones is just as valid. Just different vibes

Sieglinde

Feb 20, 2019
Catching Pokémon (there are over leveled Pokémon as shown in the treehouse, and other strong Pokémon you can't even catch when you first access the wild area), fishing, bike surfing, raid battles, camping, battling NPCs...is what we know so far.
When did we see battling NPCs in the wild area? i must have missed that bit

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the idea of open world pokemon won't be that divisive. the market spoken and they want more open world games.

the execution of that open world, well, that's another thing. not wanting an open world because you question GF's ability to do so is understandable

Oct 25, 2017
While I don't necessarily need bigger, more open areas, I am excited for the wild area and I'm not sure why these types of areas get the backlash they do. Especially in regards to Pokémon games. The common complaint you see is that they're too empty, have little to do, and have bad level design. But... that's Pokémon in general. Those complaints make sense for something like a platformer, where level design actually matters, and you're often performing a variety of interesting tasks. Pokémon doesn't do any of that. Theres nothing to do in routes besides fighting trainers and catching Pokémon. They're technically not empty because they're compact, but really, there's very little to find and just because there's less space between trainers or grass patches doesn't mean the routes are full of interesting stuff. And the level design? It's weak. Basically non-existent half the time and the only time they do anything worthwhile with it is when they do sliding block puzzles, which gets old really fast. You're always just walking around and fighting. Doing that in an open area will honestly probably help more than it hurts because at least we'll get some nice vibes while doing the same thing we've always been doing.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
the idea of open world pokemon won't be that divisive. the market spoken and they want more open world games.

the execution of that open world, well, that's another thing. not wanting an open world because you question GF's ability to do so is understandable

That's very reductive. A game being open world doesn't necessarily make it better regardless of the developer. Gears 5 is worse for being open world as is Ghost Recon Breakpoint.

It's hard to control the narrative of a story if a game is fully open world. Games like RDR2 control your movement through the open world to make sure the narrative is structured soni wouldn't even call that open world.

Plenty of Zelda fans dislike BotW for going open world. Not every game has to be open world. God of War was excellent and isn't open world.

Last edited:

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I actually got the opposite impression. Looking at those lakes, it's way smaller than I expected.
Same.

Looking at the map it looks like the E3 demo took place in that bottom portion, which itself makes up a bit less than half of the overall Wild Area. It's definitely smaller than what I thought it might be.

I was also hoping for more biomes, but to be fair, it was an unrealistic hope. The map of the region already showed it was just grasslands and desert (and lakes).

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
While I don't necessarily need bigger, more open areas, I am excited for the wild area and I'm not sure why these types of areas get the backlash they do. Especially in regards to Pokémon games. The common complaint you see is that they're too empty, have little to do, and have bad level design. But... that's Pokémon in general. Those complaints make sense for something like a platformer, where level design actually matters, and you're often performing a variety of interesting tasks. Pokémon doesn't do any of that. Theres nothing to do in routes besides fighting trainers and catching Pokémon. They're technically not empty because they're compact, but really, there's very little to find and just because there's less space between trainers or grass patches doesn't mean the routes are full of interesting stuff. And the level design? It's weak. Basically non-existent half the time and the only time they do anything worthwhile with it is when they do sliding block puzzles, which gets old really fast. You're always just walking around and fighting. Doing that in an open area will honestly probably help more than it hurts because at least we'll get some nice vibes while doing the same thing we've always been doing.
This is kind of exactly why people are skeptical. There's nothing about a huge open area that gives "nice vibes" that a smaller area can't do. It will just take longer to get from A to B. To justify an area of this size without filling it with meaningful content, you need to at least have either strong visuals (which this game does not) or you need to have lots of interesting landmarks and vistas to discover through exploring (they've already shown us practically everything in it so there's not much along these lines to discover). If it's just gonna be like the rest of the game but with more empty space then it's pointless.

Oct 25, 2017
This is kind of exactly why people are skeptical. There's nothing about a huge open area that gives "nice vibes" that a smaller area can't do. It will just take longer to get from A to B. To justify an area of this size without filling it with meaningful content, you need to at least have either strong visuals (which this game does not) or you need to have lots of interesting landmarks and vistas to discover through exploring (they've already shown us practically everything in it). If it's just gonna be like the rest of the game but with more empty space then it's pointless.

That's obviously not true. Seeing Pokémon running around in an area to scale is something people have wanted for a long time, so it will obviously give a different vibe that you can't get in smaller routes, and many people will enjoy that. I think a lot of the negativity and pushback around the wild area and potential, more open games in the future are reactionary based on how open areas have impacted games in other genres, and that stuff doesn't apply here. The biggest issue people have with open worlds is that often things are lost in the translation. With pokemon, the current route system doesn't do anything interesting in the first place. There's nothing to lose, but there are potential gains. I imagine playing in the wild area will be just as enjoyable as playing in routes, and likely more so.

Like I said, you spent most of your time in Pokémon walking around doing nothing. Doing that in a more realistically scaled area, with Pokémon in semi-natural habitats wandering around will likely be a little more interesting.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I'm not familiar with more recent Pokemon games. Is the Wild area the only place you catch Pokemon or is that just a huge area with all sorts of Pokemon?

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
Just to repeat what others have said.

Gen 4 remake should have mt coronet as a wild area. It will make the game better in many ways, just going to be complex creating a whole massive dungeon as a single cohesive place with blocked off areas.

Yeah not expecting that from Gamefreak