• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Just a small note I spotted in one of the trailers TPC just put out in Japan

The trailer ends with promotion of the game with the text 世界10億ダウンロード! 1 Billion downloads worldwide!

That's an incredible amount.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah it's pretty insane but that's all probably from the first rush of users.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
that one old dude on a bike makes like 8 of those zeros

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Jesus, I saw that trailer and thought my Japanese sucked because there was no way I had read that right haha.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon Go has become the definitive Pokemon experience for many fans. PvP leagues, raids, EX-raids, research quests, special research, special events, community days, a new IV checker, etc. The game is truly getting the "service" treatment from Niantic and as a result the game feels so much more alive than it did when it first launched.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
It's still printing money.
Yep. According to Sensor Tower, the money it made from July 2017-July 2018 was $700 million, about on par with a main series Pokémon game release.

Unfortunately, the other mobile games have not fared as well, again according to Sensor Tower

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
My job sees me working out and about.

I don't see more people playing the game now than I did at launch, but i will still see a few people every other day playing the game.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I mean sure but how many still play it.

It's making $60+ million per month, so quite a few people. If you're at a place like Disney or any large city near a park you'll see massive amounts of people playing, especially if there is a special event taking place.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
A lot. Isn't it currently having its best year ever?
The past year and a half have been big for revenue.

The past year and a half was also when Niantic went full ham on events.

In 2017 there were 10 in-game events and 4 real life events

In 2018 there were 32 events, 12 Community Days, 4 Raid Days and 6 real life events

Thus far in 2019 (8 months in), we've had 27 events, on our 8th Community Day, 4 Raid Days, 3 "Limited Research" Days, "Raid Hours" most weeks and 6 real life events

They've also added more and more shinies as Raid Bait and Egg Bait to get money on Premium Raid Passes and Incubators

Glossary

Events - Increased spawns of Pokémon fitting the event theme, unique research, raid battles, new shiny Pokémon, special boosts and so forth. These happen globally.
Community Day - For 3 hours, a specific Pokémon spawns in massively increased rates with their Shiny variant and a special bonus such as experience and incubator distance reduction
Raid Day - For 3 hours, every Gym has got a Legendary or unique raid on it for people to use Raid Passes and capture. Often introduces shiny Legendary Pokémon
Real-Life Events - Safari Zone/GO Fests etc., not just random spawns at other events
Raid Hours - Pretty much every Wednesday, first at lunch, now at 6pm, every gym will have the present Level 5 Raid Boss. This only doesn't really happen now on days when the raid boss changes so different regions would have a different boss.

Last edited:

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017
Impressive, Pokemon still has that potential to pull everyone together when done right, if there was ever a mainline game or even a casual mainline lite on the mobile, the numbers would be immense. Surely the Pokemon company is thinking about it, i wouldn't be surprised to see a story driven Pokemon with the mainline mechanics as a lite version for the casual audience. So much money left on the table to be taken.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I downloaded it to see what all the crazy kids were up to.

Then said WTFITS.

And deleted it.

But that's a hell of a number of downloads for a videogame thingy.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'm pretty sure pokemon go is pretty close to if not reaching the same numbers for revenue and player base as back when it was a fad.

recently got back into it and I get it, theres so much more to do than there was at launch, its like an actual game now lol.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
The place across the road from me was a stop/gym thing and at peak there was a few hundred outside there every night for what felt like months, it was hell on earth. Even now at weekends and in summer you get groups all on their phones, and I assume that's what they're doing.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Go out to your local park or somewhere that would be densely packed with PokéStops from 4-7pm on Saturday and you'll see so many
lots of people were playing at the multiple florida malls I was at last week. even if it's just for a couple of minutes those kinds of users mean a larger pool of small purchases

H2intensity

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Great apps, well deserved. Still playing it with my friends. The continuous update also making it much more interesting.
Also a great motivational tools for me to exercise.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Downloaded at launch and played it religiously that summer. Been playing on and off since then but have recently been putting some work in to reach max level. Currently 37 and man does it start to get grindy..

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
The game is mostly dead in rural areas as there are not enough Pokéstops and Gyms. In areas with a high density of stops and gyms the game is very alive especially because the game has constantly added new gameplay elements over time to keep you entertained and motivated. Now if you are expecting Summer 2016 craziness when everyone and their mother was playing then forget about it, you won't reach those numbers ever again.

Now give me finally a button to skip the 2 minutes timer before raids, Niantic.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

The Official Pokemon GO Youtube channel has just released a few short commercial clips, each ending with the subtitle, "世界10億ダウンロード!".

(sekai ju oku daun ro-do)