• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I'm hoping that HD Sun and Moon looks something like the new Yokai Watch.
yakoi-watch-1beyl.png
Btw, this is Yo-Kai Watch before it had a platform several years ago - not the Switch game.

Nov 4, 2017
Maaan, if a new Pokemon drops in time for Christmas, it will totally redeem the comparatively dull year 2018 has been for me on Switch (dull compared to 2017 or PS4's 2018, on its own it's a'ight).

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all people on about the graphics need a reality check

Real talk, were you guys expecting it to look like Pokkén?

BUeZMJj.jpg

700+ Pokémon rendered in this kind of graphical style? With an overworld on top of it? From Game Freak?

You guys are nuts if that's what you expected.

At best we're getting something similar to Sun & Moon but rendered at a higher resolution with probably a lot of cleaner textures. Something with a somewhat cel-shaded style is my guess.

LejrVNm.jpg

PsePQRD.png

This saves a lot of work, especially because Game Freak put a dizzying amount of work into rendering the models of each Pokémon. They translate extremely well into HD.
You know xenoblade doesnt look like pokken, but still looks grandiose and nice and a game from the modern era of rpg's?
Yeah, something like that.
And btw the image circulating in this thread, if thats real (and i hope is no), looks even worse than sun and moon.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all people on about the graphics need a reality check

Real talk, were you guys expecting it to look like Pokkén?

BUeZMJj.jpg

700+ Pokémon rendered in this kind of graphical style? With an overworld on top of it? From Game Freak?

You guys are nuts if that's what you expected.

At best we're getting something similar to Sun & Moon but rendered at a higher resolution with probably a lot of cleaner textures. Something with a somewhat cel-shaded style is my guess.

LejrVNm.jpg

PsePQRD.png

This saves a lot of work, especially because Game Freak put a dizzying amount of work into rendering the models of each Pokémon. They translate extremely well into HD.
That's why I am hoping for a soft-reboot with only 100 or 150 Pokemon. No need to put all 700+ mostly redundant creeps into the game. New engine with modern graphics and refined gameplay is what I want. And no, those uprezzed screenshots don't look good at all IMO.

Nov 3, 2017
So do we think that they've expedited the reveal due to the leaks? Is a reveal imminent? I thought Emily said to not expect a reveal this week

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
For those wondering what would an upresed S/M look like :

tumblr_ozgy031C4c1qjbmwvo2_1280.png

OSrTqGh.png

n1t3MiQ.png

2AmHMoN.png

18role7.png

bZSZDpR.png

KmVz5TB.png

Give it some better texture and lightning and it would be a clean looking game, but not groundbreaking.

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017

Guys, that's why they posted this video, it's all clicking altogether. Obvious hint and promotion for the Switch game.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
They did a great job with the Pokemon models. They could use those forever. Just fix the colors and improve the animation, over time.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Umm... That completely changes the entire meaning of the paragraph. Not including that last part is super misleading, though I assume that was because of Twitter.
No it doesn't. It means that it looks like a HD Sun and Moon because that's what it was before the direction changed from Stars to LGP/LGE. Nowhere in that paragraph is it suggested that the visuals have changed.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

OSrTqGh.png

n1t3MiQ.png

2AmHMoN.png

18role7.png

bZSZDpR.png

KmVz5TB.png

Give it some better texture and lightning and it would be a clean looking game, but not groundbreaking.
I'd pretty much be perfectly okay with the new one looking like this, obviously with some improved textures and animations. The game looks great and the Pokémon models haven't aged a bit.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Honestly, I think those upresed S/M screens look great. If they upgrade the textures and make more intricate arena designs, I'm all for it.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It'd be really dumb if either the Eevee or Pikachu couldn't evolve and you had to have them in your party. If they are evolution locked like the Pikachu in Yellow then at the very least put in an option for the Pokémon to be like passive or something- where they still travel with you but don't take up a space in the party. Anything other than that would be very annoying.

That aside the game sounds great. I am looking forward to the announcement.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Pokemon XD gave us a full 3D experience with all the pokemons available at that time, graphics worth of the console, and that was like 15 years ago.

It might not have had the carrure of a main game but it also never was advertised as one.
It's worth mentioning XD and Colosseum weren't developed by Game Freak.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Terrible names. Casuals will think its just 'Pokemon Go' in the same way they thought Wii u was just another Wii. Could have a minor effect on sales.

It could have the opposite effect too. A lot of parents have ignored Pokémon this-and-that, but a Pokémon Go game for Switch might get their attention.

Pikachu and Eevee will also be big after the Detective Pikachu Movie. And the Pokémon reboot anime films.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017

Guys, that's why they posted this video, it's all clicking altogether. Obvious hint and promotion for the Switch game.

No, that video was on display at the Pokémon Center Tokyo DX alongside ones for Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, the mascots of that Pokémon Center

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The uprezzed Pokemon look good, with minor cleanup they're definitely usable in HD. They weren't designed for just 3DS resolution. The rest of the elements need to be redone, but as the Pokemon are the consistent between the games they're the most important.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokémon models look good in the uprezzed shots (as well they should- they were stupidly complex for the system), but everything else looks outright bad.

For the leap in hardware that the 3DS to Switch represents, those shots would be an embarrassment.

ultra bawl

User requested ban
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I really hope the arenas are more dynamic, like imagine when you're fighting the champion and they're down to their last Pokemon so suddenly there's stuff like fireworks in the background or anything really.
This would be great. And weather effects, and maybe passers by or a few rando spectators during trainer fights out in the open. (it'd probably look too busy and distracting but hey, that's just one of a million reasons why I don't work for Game Freak)

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

OSrTqGh.png

n1t3MiQ.png

2AmHMoN.png

18role7.png

bZSZDpR.png

KmVz5TB.png

Updated textures on the environments, and new character models that don't very blatantly look like they're from the PS2 era.
That's all it really needs to be at least ok.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in 2003

PikachuandExploudvsWailordandSceptile.jpg

Im not saying S/M doesnt look nice in HD but its underwhelming all things considered. I wish i had Dolphin shots of Colosseum/Gale of Darkness on hand.
Probably not the best game to use seeing as the Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon just straight up rip their models from the Stadium games on 64. It's incredibly jarring, just look at Pikachu.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Graphics on the level of HD Sun and Moon is what I was expecting anyway. So I'm going to be excited no matter what.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
So we're getting both Smash and Pokemon before the end of the year ? Jesus-Christ ! 25 million Switch sold in the fiscal year CONFIRMED !

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in 2003

PikachuandExploudvsWailordandSceptile.jpg

Im not saying S/M doesnt look nice in HD but its underwhelming all things considered. I wish i had Dolphin shots of Colosseum/Gale of Darkness on hand.

It does scale better it is true. However, scale couldn't fit in the small 3DS screen so it might change with the Switch.

The backgrounds will be revamped too given the 3DS textures.

And the models are far better today. So it might look significantly better on Switch if all these improvements are made.