• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will Pokemon Switch Come Out This Year?

• Yes

Votes: 554 51.9%
  • No

Votes: 181 17.0%
  • Lol

Votes: 332 31.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Do you want an old gimmick (megas/Z-moves), a new gimmick (fusion/etc), or a return to a more vanilla approach with refinement? All of the above?
Consolidation of Z Moves and Mega Evos before anything new. Ultra Necrozma is basically a Z-Move Triggered Mega Evolutions, so I can see them going with that next gen. Basically, have an item(I like to call it the Ultra Forge) where you can fuse Mega Stones(existing or new) with the respective Z Type Crystal. Like, make up some lore that megas are actually impartial, and that they are really complete when complemented with a Z Crystal. Instead of trigerring a Z-Move and than Mega Evolving, after mega evolution you have a 20% power boost on any move of that type, or if they are starters or have a sginature move, give them a 30% boost. Existing Megas can only be triggered with an Ultra Crystal, some of the existing megas gain a new alternate depending on the Z-Crystal, and all new megas from Gen or most of them are 1 of 2 that a Pokemon can gain from the Ultra Crystal. Like for example, take Charizard, when you have a Charizardite Ultra Crystal(Flying) it gives you M. Charizard Y, but when you make a Charizardite Ultra Crystal(Dragon) it gives you M. Charizard X.
Of course, with this new item and mechanic, only Z Moves are availble in the normal method. So that gives you Z Moves for almost all Pokemon, but not for those that mega evolve. Its more balanced, especially so with new mega introduced, as that means only a handful of fully evolved 3 stage Pokemon will have access to them.

Last edited:

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if there were several Pokemon Stadium/the anime style tournaments that you can enter over the course of the story mode. Maybe have a regional champion system that is divorced from the Elite Four? Or you need 8 badges and a tournament victory in order to qualify to challenge the Elite Four. I like the idea of having to earn the right to challenge the Eilte Four more than the current system feels like.

Someone mentioned having a 16 bracket tournament a few pages back, and I still think it's crazy that that hasn't really been a part of the games up to now.
Fusions sound like a terrible idea, I'm fine with the current gimmicks, bring on the refinements.
If anything, I feel like they would take the first console release as an excuse to go back to basics and drop megas and z-moves.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
It would be nice if there were several Pokemon Stadium/the anime style tournaments that you can enter over the course of the story mode. Maybe have a regional champion system that is divorced from the Elite Four? Or you need 8 badges and a tournament victory in order to qualify to challenge the Elite Four. I like the idea of having to earn the right to challenge the Eilte Four more than the current system feels like.

Someone mentioned having a 16 bracket tournament a few pages back, and I still think it's crazy that that hasn't really been a part of the games up to now.

If anything, I feel like they would take the first console release as an excuse to go back to basics and drop megas and z-moves.
I think you are referring to me. I suggest that the 8 gyms have 40 bosses, but the 8 Leaders remain. Basically, my idea is that gym badges are now split into 5, with the core of the badge being required to further the story, and having the 8 badges unlocks the victory road. Getting to the league is not required for the story, and the other 32 Gym Captains are for the 32 Gym Trials. Defeating the 8 captains of one bracket unlocks the tournament for their specific ruleset, and beating all 4 Rule Set Tournaments grants you access to the league proper, where each Elite 4 is like the Master of that rule set. You can do this either in the main story or during the post game, but they are only unlocked after the 5th badge or so to be able to provide a challenge, and so you won't clean sweep em in the post game to just get it done with. I'm still refining this idea, and I really want to further it, cause I think having a huge dungeon linked to each gym as well(think a trial site but more elaborate) alongside shrine-like challenges from BoTW tied up into to this neat package that is a requirement to actually become the champion is a much better idea than regular old gyms or the trials.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The tournaments would be in practice like Elite Four glorified.

What do you care about all the combats that are done in which you don't participate if you don't see them and you will end up facing 4 trainers.

It would literally be the same as Elite Four but with a random selection of trainers, just like when you defend your title in S / M.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
I think you are referring to me. I suggest that the 8 gyms have 40 bosses, but the 8 Leaders remain. Basically, my idea is that gym badges are now split into 5, with the core of the badge being required to further the story, and having the 8 badges unlocks the victory road. Getting to the league is not required for the story, and the other 32 Gym Captains are for the 32 Gym Trials. Defeating the 8 captains of one bracket unlocks the tournament for their specific ruleset, and beating all 4 Rule Set Tournaments grants you access to the league proper, where each Elite 4 is like the Master of that rule set. You can do this either in the main story or during the post game, but they are only unlocked after the 5th badge or so to be able to provide a challenge, and so you won't clean sweep em in the post game to just get it done with. I'm still refining this idea, and I really want to further it, cause I think having a huge dungeon linked to each gym as well(think a trial site but more elaborate) alongside shrine-like challenges from BoTW tied up into to this neat package that is a requirement to actually become the champion is a much better idea than regular old gyms or the trials.
Sounds a little complicated. I was just thinking something along the lines of after every two gyms there is a tournament you can participate in. The difficulty is brought up a bit from everyone having full teams and some more strategy to team makeup. Maybe no healing items allowed. You could need to win at least one to qualify for the elite four.

Or it could just be the post-game.
The tournaments would be in practice like Elite Four glorified.

What do you care about all the combats that are done in which you don't participate if you don't see them and you will end up facing 4 trainers.

It would literally be the same as Elite Four but with a random selection of trainers, just like when you defend your title in S / M.
People like battling in Pokemon games, what can I say? I'm sure they could come up with a system to get you invested in the tournaments. Maybe you have several rivals that you get to know and compete with throughout the game that are competing in every tournament with you. Maybe having each of the tournaments be themed in some way (typings/mechanics/etc). Maybe you're competing for really good held items or TMs. I'm not sure how they would show other battles other than maybe a couple of "highlights" from the battles you're not in, or just skip to the bracket showing who won. How they show that really would depend on how the games are being presented overall on the new hardware.

Also, taking part in a tournament is completely different from having to fight the same four people over and over again if you want to face one new challenger as the champion in Sun/Moon.

Telpis

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
I've never been so excited to see a reveal of a game in my life

I'm so excited for this game

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Sounds a little complicated. I was just thinking something along the lines of after every two gyms there is a tournament you can participate in. The difficulty is brought up a bit from everyone having full teams and some more strategy to team makeup. Maybe no healing items allowed. You could need to win at least one to qualify for the elite four.

Or it could just be the post-game.

People like battling in Pokemon games, what can I say? I'm sure they could come up with a system to get you invested in the tournaments. Maybe you have several rivals that you get to know and compete with throughout the game that are competing in every tournament with you. Maybe having each of the tournaments be themed in some way (typings/mechanics/etc). Maybe you're competing for really good held items or TMs. I'm not sure how they would show other battles other than maybe a couple of "highlights" from the battles you're not in, or just skip to the bracket showing who won. How they show that really would depend on how the games are being presented overall on the new hardware.

Also, taking part in a tournament is completely different from having to fight the same four people over and over again if you want to face one new challenger as the champion in Sun/Moon.
That's th thing. the Gym Trials and Gym Captains would fall into 4 categories across each gym. A No Item challlenge, a doubles challenge, a set levels challenge, and whatever they can think of. Each of the 4 challenges is in the gyms trial site, which has 4 different puzzles according to the challenge. Think of it like this

Champion
E4
Gyms
Gym Trials

Instead of gyms like I said being before the trials, reverse it. Now, to be able to challenge the gym proper, you need to defeat all 4 of the Trials. What this means, is that much like how the games had Kahuna's in between a set number of trials, there are now tournaments inbetween every 2 gyms. You're idea helped me realize how to solidify the pace and keep the E4 as the final gauntlet. Its complicated, yes, but it keeps the main game pretty long. Instead of demanding a meaty post game, we should be demanding a meaty proper game, and having 32 boss trainers, 4 tournaments and than 8 leaders before the actual E4 and ending would do that.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like we finally have some Interesting news!

The French website Pokegraph usually posts lots of info about merch. For example they previously posted an extensive article with the Alola merch for summer. They also exclusively revealed that Tomy will no longer distribute Pokemon merchandise.

Well, now they are claiming that their source has confirmed to them that Pokemon Switch will release this holiday just before Christmas and Bandai will reveal some merch for this game in May.

This is our best indicator yet of a release this year.

Last edited:

MisterMangu

Banned
Feb 12, 2018

The Italian website Pokegraph usually posts lots of info about merch. For example they previously posted an extensive article with the Alola merch for summer. They also exclusively revealed that Tomy will no longer distribute Pokemon merchandise.

Well, now they are claiming that their source has confirmed to them that Pokemon Switch will release this holiday just before Christmas and Bandai will reveal some merch for this game in May.

Assuming this is true, we'll have to wait till May to see a reveal direct then?

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain

The Italian website Pokegraph usually posts lots of info about merch. For example they previously posted an extensive article with the Alola merch for summer. They also exclusively revealed that Tomy will no longer distribute Pokemon merchandise.

Seems awfully on point.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

an April reveal for Gen 8 is sounding more and more likely now

pokéfan

Oct 25, 2017

Late April or Early May reveal it seems so.

NinjaCoachZ

Oct 26, 2017

Awesome. There is so much smoke and I am so ready! If they really do pull off Smash, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon in one holiday then I will be in absolute heaven!

April text/PR announcement and then full reveal in May? We have to get at least something on or before Nintendo's investor meeting, right?

E - (Unless I'm missing something that site is in French.)

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

So we could get a reveal as soon as late April.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

The French website Pokegraph usually posts lots of info about merch. For example they previously posted an extensive article with the Alola merch for summer. They also exclusively revealed that Tomy will no longer distribute Pokemon merchandise.

As I have been, I'm sticking with my guess of a May reveal.
Why isn't Tomy going to do merch anymore?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Probably Bandai offered the Pokemon Company a better deal than Tomy. There isn't much to read into that, just your classic business deal.

Now, the other part is news worthy. If merch is revealed in May, we can expect an announcement in April/May. The legendaries at the very least.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
After playing a bit of Detective Pikachu.

I'll like Detective Pikachu to be in a Mainline game. Even if it doesn't make any sense.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
If the merch is being shown in May I guess the first reveal will be in April, probably through a Pokémon Direct. Makes sense as I was thinking May will have a Smash Direct instead.

silver1289s

Mar 8, 2018
I could see it with a December 1st release date like Xenoblade. I have a feeling Smash is going to launch in November.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see it with a December 1st release date like Xenoblade. I have a feeling Smash is going to launch in November.

Unless unexpected reasons happens there is no way that pokemon misses black friday. Game freak and specially Nintendo would want the game realeased in the biggest shopping month of the year.

Charlie0108

Oct 29, 2017
Wasn't a lot of what PokeshopperVGC was saying in regards to the Switch game coming out this year down to having sources related to upcoming merchandise as well?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Smash cant miss the Switch Online launch. Its september, and pokemon for the week before Black Friday
I think it'd be smarter to launch Smash in October to sort out any issues with the paid online service before it gets hammered by Smash.

Wasn't a lot of what PokeshopperVGC was saying in regards to the Switch game coming out this year down to having sources related to upcoming merchandise as well?
Yup

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
I hope by reboot it means removal of Mega forms and the like.

Boost some older pokemon up to combat the power creep, buff ice type to be strong against water, 2x offense 1/2 defense, Rock type neutral.

I think Megas was the worst thing that happened to competitive pokemon, though Z-moves are more balanced without falling to the favoritism trap like Mega forms did.

Delio

Oct 25, 2017

If this turns out to be true it has to be an April reveal then right?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, there's 3 exclusive Z moves for the Pikachu evolutionary line.

Not falling for the favoritism trap indeed.
Mega forms were diversified to hell and back, hell the frontline mega, Lucario, is a Pokemon that wasn't easily available until Gen 5(Hard to get in Gen 4)

Meanwhile, Sun/Moon literally introduced a whole new form list for nothing but Kanto Pokemon, many of which got exclusive Z moves, in Pikachu's case MULTIPLE EVEN.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't get my hopes up for an April reveal, while it's still possible I think it's just as likely, if not more likely, that it's a May reveal.
I think April will just be Zeraora.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
I also think a May reveal is more likely. Pokémon likes to reveal games on May (ORAS, Super Mystery Dungeon, first SM info).

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's E3 could be the best ever:

• Pokemon
  • Smash Bros
  • Fire Emblem
  • Yoshi
  • Third party surprises
  • Retro and other first-party surprises

Status
Not open for further replies.