• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
bU2uy3i.png

I had a feeling they'd do it. They managed to

This quarter, Sword & Shield overtook the 23.7 million figure we have for Pokémon Gold & Silver given by TPC a few years back.

Here's how the chart looks

iOKZoVT.png

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Despite their very real issues, Sword/Shield were the first Pokémon games I'd enjoyed since Black/White, and Legends Arceus has assured me that Game Freak is actually willing to evolve the franchise, so I'm feeling pretty positive about the future of Pokémon at the moment.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
The sucess of these games makes me morbidly curious to see how low they'll go from here on out.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Very happy about this. Still sad about how Gen 5 sold though ... even after all these years.

Tiamant

Oct 28, 2017
Great competitive game with fantastic soundtrack, so-so online integration and bad everything else. Here is to GameFreak learning from what brings Sword/Shield down and fixing it in gen 9.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Well-deserved imo, while the raids have issues. They are the best addition to Pokémon since Wi-Fi play was first added over a decade ago. Just a fantastic feature that got me playing way more with my friends then I ever did before.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Anyway to check the hardware penetration as a percentage ? Nearly 25% is great for sword and shield though I'd like to see if that's higher than the leading red blue on game boy

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017
Who could have seen this coming! A new gen pokemon selling like crazy on a singular nintendo console. Shocked I tell you!

Sword and Shield was a fun time.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Honestly, for me, this is well deserved. Pokémon Sword & Shield EX is in my view my favourite and possibly best Pokémon game. They have flaws and blemishes but they're so good and the games I keep coming back to.

I haven't touched BDSP since I was done with coverage in December but I was still playing SWSH just before Legends launch

There's nothing wrong with criticism and negativity. It's okay that some people don't like the same games as you do.
You weren't me in 2019. I'm enjoying this after all the shit and even death threats that I got just for posting news about the game and explaining that no, the random youtuber who sprouted up on negativity doesn't know a god damn thing about anything and things work a different way.

Snowfruit

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 8, 2018
United States
Good to see it do well, I ended up enjoying my time with it. Probably the most time I've spent with a Pokemon game.

There's nothing wrong with criticism and negativity. It's okay that some people don't like the same games as you do.
I don't think people who don't enjoy a game usually go in a thread about it doing well just to shit on it. That's some next level negativity.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think people who don't enjoy a game usually go in a thread about it doing well just to shit on it. That's some next level negativity.

Slight correction it's multiple threads in this case :)

But yeah this. I wouldn't call like any of the negative posts ITT 'criticism'.

OP
OP
Serebii

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Sad! Combine HG/SS with the OGs! S&S doesn't deserve this feat!!!
Different games and projects so they don't get merged haha

I have noticed people have been trying to combine the games with their "upper" versions in sales charts of late all because SWSH started selling well

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I hope pokemon legends Arceus sells well because so far it has knocked every other pokemon game down a notch for me. Maybe i'm too easily giving in to praise but I genuinely find the setting and gameplay 100x more interesting. Sword and shield were good but not stellar pokemon games. That being said... this is incredibly unsurprising to me given how well it has been selling.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Sword is still by far the most time I've ever put into a Pokemon game. The raids and ease of getting into VGC made it so fun for me.

Skyscourge

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2020
It bears repeating, no game reaches these kinds of sales without good word of mouth. Overall sentiment about Pokemon has only improved over time.

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Crystal being so low (in comparison to everything around it) hurts. Can't speak on Sword/Shield since Sun/Moon were the last I played and quickly burnt out on with significant gaps between, but it certainly speaks to how strong both the brand and the Switch have been on top of the promise of some shift in the design.

I'm hoping Legends Arceus plants a pretty high flag when we get some chart/numbers in a similar timeframe. IMO it's a good foundation to expand upon and/or integrate to the core structure, and getting some solid numbers behind it to facilitate that movement would be great.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Congratulations to them, but these numbers aren't as strong as they may seem at first.

Sw/Sh took Pokémon from ~17m to 23m, which is on the small side for a Switch bump.

Zelda went from 8m (highest) or 4m (latest) to circa 25m with Breath of the Wild, at least a 3x multiplier

Mario Kart 8D beat their previous Wii bundle-fueled 37m record already, and doubled Mario Kart 7/DS sales numbers.

Super Mario Odyssey cracked 23m, almost doubling Mario Galaxy and 3D Land numbers and even further ahead of Sunshine, 3D World, Galaxy 2

Animal Crossing reorganized society and sold about three times as much as New Leaf

Smash Ultimate at 27m has more than doubled Brawl at 13m or the two Smash 4 SKUs put together.

Even games like Splatoon 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3 are more than doubling their previous sales records.

So the "Switch bump" for all Nintendo franchises seems to be at least a 2x multiplier, and sometimes a more than 3x multiplier like for Zelda and Animal Crossing - game quality really matters.

Pokémon's anemic sales of about 1.4x their recent numbers are a cause for concern. Pokémon Legends: Arceus was not an accident; it's obviously not the move of a company that's happy with their sales trajectory. I appreciate your passion for Sw/Sh Joe, but I don't think anyone at the Pokémon Company was popping champagne at these sales numbers, they were weak enough to awaken GameFreak from their slumber and drive them to do something as crazy as Arceus to lay the groundwork for a bigger jump for the franchise in the future.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Congratulations to them, but these numbers aren't as strong as they may seem at first.

Sw/Sh took Pokémon from ~17m to 23m, which is on the small side for a Switch bump.

Zelda went from 8m (highest) or 4m (latest) to circa 25m with Breath of the Wild, at least a 3x multiplier

Mario Kart 8D beat their previous Wii bundle-fueled 37m record already, and doubled Mario Kart 7/DS sales numbers.

Super Mario Odyssey cracked 23m, almost doubling Mario Galaxy and 3D Land numbers and even further ahead of Sunshine, 3D World, Galaxy 2

Animal Crossing reorganized society and sold about three times as much as New Leaf

Smash Ultimate at 27m has more than doubled Brawl at 13m or the two Smash 4 SKUs put together.

Even games like Splatoon 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3 are more than doubling their previous sales records.

So the "Switch bump" for all Nintendo franchises seems to be at least a 2x multiplier, and sometimes a more than 3x multiplier like for Zelda and Animal Crossing - game quality really matters.

Pokémon's anemic sales of about 1.4x their recent numbers are a cause for concern. Pokémon Legends: Arceus was not an accident; it's obviously not the move of a company that's happy with their sales trajectory. I appreciate your passion for Sw/Sh Joe, but I don't think anyone at the Pokémon Company was popping champagne at these sales numbers, they were weak enough to awaken GameFreak from their slumber and drive them to do something as crazy as Arceus to lay the groundwork for a bigger jump for the franchise in the future.
Is this post sarcastic?